post #181 of 572 Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer View Post

This is a question, but I'm spoiler-tagging it since I think most stations run it later in the week than WGN.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
When they were feeding people to the dragons, what was the box of bees all about?

Wanna say they showed the blood flies in the pilot. They are used to find prey, sort of an advance scout. Then they find something edible they somehow get the 'dragons' to come and eat the prey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 572 Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Did anyone else's broadcast blur out Khalan's breasts when she was on the horse in that outfit? My station did, big obvious blurs, but they didn't bother with anything on Richard's friend in town. It was weird.

post #183 of 572 Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shaffer View Post

This is a question, but I'm spoiler-tagging it since I think most stations run it later in the week than WGN.

Spoiler  
When they were feeding people to the dragons, what was the box of bees all about?

Spoiler  
They're not dragons, and they're not bees. Even though they called them as dragrons at one point in the episode, they used the correct term 'gar' most of the time.

The insects are blood flies and the gars use them in a way similar to hunting with hounds. The blood flies chase down the game, start biting and harassing it and then the gar smells the blood and comes running in for the kill.
post #184 of 572 Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Did anyone else's broadcast blur out Khalan's breasts when she was on the horse in that outfit? My station did, big obvious blurs, but they didn't bother with anything on Richard's friend in town. It was weird.

I didn't notice any funny stuff there. But when Anna bent over to retrieve the key, I think they 'enhanced' the shadows to hide the sideshot of her cleavage. It was a really dark shot to begin with, So I might be wrong. But I think the shadow 'grew' unnaturally.

BTW, I'm rather bummed about them sealing Anna on the other side of the border. I was really starting to like that character.
post #185 of 572 Old 03-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

BTW, I'm rather bummed about them sealing Anna on the other side of the border. I was really starting to like that character.

I guess we will always have to hope for flashbacks and dream sequences.

-- David
post #186 of 572 Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
KSWB-DT is airing it in 4:3 SD . They were able to air Two and a half men in HD so they must have some kind of a problem. Anybody else in a Tribune area having this problem. Just wondering to see if it was a national problem. Maybe they accidentally played the SD version instead of the HD one.
post #187 of 572 Old 03-21-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
WGN America in Peoria had it in HD although the lead-in (rerun) episode was SD.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #188 of 572 Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 View Post

Maybe they accidentally played the SD version instead of the HD one.

No idea what they have for server equipment. The SD version is fed directly to the station via Pathfire. The HD version is fed to the station via the Tribune uplink center in Indiana. Who knows what happened (besides the station personnel).

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #189 of 572 Old 03-21-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

WGN America in Peoria had it in HD although the lead-in (rerun) episode was SD.

Now that is weird. The pimary episode is fed first and 15 minutes after the end of that episode, the secondary episode is fed. There were no problems with the feed and as far I as know, no problems with Tribune getting it to the stations.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video

post #190 of 572 Old 03-21-2009, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

The HD version is fed to the station via the Tribune uplink center in Indiana.

According to my anonymous contact, KSWB does not receive their programming from Indianapolis -- they record everything themselves.
post #191 of 572 Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 69
It was a good episode tonight, I've been kinda getting a little bored lately, but tonight kept my attention from start to finish. Denna sure looked different with her hair down.
post #192 of 572 Old 03-21-2009, 11:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

According to my anonymous contact, KSWB does not receive their programming from Indianapolis -- they record everything themselves.

How did they manage to break away from the pack?

Mr. Video

post #193 of 572 Old 03-22-2009, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

How did they manage to break away from the pack?

Don't have the answer to that. One thought is that perhaps they don't have a video server that will work in this environment -- it's got to be one that can accept material via IP.
post #194 of 572 Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

videojanitor,

Then how can Two and a Half men be in HD one night an SD on another. KSWB doesn't want their engineering staff to answer calls but sometimes they do. I'm never able to get them.
post #195 of 572 Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

videojanitor,

Then how can Two and a Half men be in HD one night an SD on another. KSWB doesn't want their engineering staff to answer calls but sometimes they do. I'm never able to get them.

You got me. Perhaps they are having trouble making reliable recordings? I was simply saying that unlike a lot of the other Tribune stations, KSWB records content locally, rather than receiving it from the mother ship.
post #196 of 572 Old 03-22-2009, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

KSWB airs HD news, HD Sports highlights. One article even had HD American Idol footage so they can record in HD.
post #197 of 572 Old 03-22-2009, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KSWB airs HD news, HD Sports highlights. One article even had HD American Idol footage so they can record in HD.

Correct. So if something is supposed to be HD but it's not, only someone at the station could tell you why.
post #198 of 572 Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, talk about deviating from the books. Holy buckets. Other then that, another excellent episode. Really enjoying this show.

post #199 of 572 Old 05-23-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't read the books, so I have no idea how closely they are following the books, but tonight's season finale was pretty awesome. I'm definitely looking forward to next season and hoping one of my locals gets some HD equipment or Directv starts carrying WGN America in HD. Still, I thought it was a great season finale tonight.
post #200 of 572 Old 05-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 45
This show definitely got better as it went along. I have not read the books either so I don't know what to expect but if they keep producing a good looking show that has some substance I'll keep watching. Looking forward to next season.
post #201 of 572 Old 05-24-2009, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Some episodes are WAY different then the books. But even with that, this show is still an excellent show. It is done really well, great acting, great action, great special effects, and the sword fights are some of the best I have seen. I love the use of slow motion in this show. I am soooo glad they already renewed it for another season.

post #202 of 572 Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I am soooo glad they already renewed it for another season.

Seeker was never in any real danger of cancellation. Its ratings improved toward the end of the first season, an indication that the audience is expanding by word-of-mouth, always a good sign for a TV show's future.

The show was pulling down a full 2.0 rating toward the end, which is excellent for a program that is syndicated at all odd hours of the day. In the neighboring market to where I live, the only affiliate carrying Seeker only carries it at 1:30 am on Saturday night!

The show has a lot of upside as those stations start moving Seeker to a better slot in recognition of how well it performs. Truth is, Seeker is probably the best syndicated first-run program since the late 1990s. I suspect after a few seasons it will be easy to claim it as the best first-run syndicated program ever.
post #203 of 572 Old 05-26-2009, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeow View Post

Seeker was never in any real danger of cancellation. Its ratings improved toward the end of the first season, an indication that the audience is expanding by word-of-mouth, always a good sign for a TV show's future.

The show was pulling down a full 2.0 rating toward the end, which is excellent for a program that is syndicated at all odd hours of the day. In the neighboring market to where I live, the only affiliate carrying Seeker only carries it at 1:30 am on Saturday night!

The show has a lot of upside as those stations start moving Seeker to a better slot in recognition of how well it performs. Truth is, Seeker is probably the best syndicated first-run program since the late 1990s. I suspect after a few seasons it will be easy to claim it as the best first-run syndicated program ever.

Awesome, we really enjoy this show and hope it continues for a long time.

post #204 of 572 Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I catch the show on WGN.....& show the add for this show. Was able to record most of the early episode which was repeated there. One of the most interesting show I have watched on TV..with great work allaround.

Now the wait for Season 2. Do anybody have any idea when it is going to start & will WGN continue to show it?
post #205 of 572 Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I was talking in another thread about ratings, and I realized there is a very good point of comparison: Battlestar Galactica.

BSG's fourth and final season pulled down a 1.8 rating. The early part of S4 pulled 1.1 ratings (ouch). For the show's entire run, its peak rating was something like a 2.6. Now, consider that BSG got a crazy amount of press and a ton of promotion.

Another point of comparison: Dollhouse, a show promoted respectably on Fox, never did better than a 2.0, and that was for the pilot. It got renewed.

Seeker's rating of 2.0 on the back of zero press and zero promotion while being aired inconsistently across numerous networks and time slots is downright impressive. Not being aired predictably has been the ruin of many great shows. Also, the Xena factor, because you have to assume some people stuck their noses up at Seeker because they think all fantasy shows are crap, has to factor in.

To be honest, I don't know why ABC Studios (who make Seeker) doesn't reel this thing in and air it as a regular program on ABC. On a regular network with a regular slot, Seeker could pull down a 3.5 to a 4.0 rating, using half the budget.
post #206 of 572 Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmarie View Post

I catch the show on WGN.....& show the add for this show. Was able to record most of the early episode which was repeated there. One of the most interesting show I have watched on TV..with great work allaround.

Now the wait for Season 2. Do anybody have any idea when it is going to start & will WGN continue to show it?

It started season #1 on I think Nov.1, so I'd suspect that Season #2 will start late Oct or early November. No idea about WGN, I just wish D* would start carrying WGN in HD, none of my locals that carry seeker will probably have HD capability for a long while.
post #207 of 572 Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
WGN America managed to show the finale in HD on Saturday. WNUV in Baltimore shows it more consistently in HD. They show it Sunday night at 10.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #208 of 572 Old 05-26-2009, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

It started season #1 on I think Nov.1, so I'd suspect that Season #2 will start late Oct or early November. No idea about WGN, I just wish D* would start carrying WGN in HD, none of my locals that carry seeker will probably have HD capability for a long while.

In my area....non of my locals even show Seeker. Thats to Dish carring WGN...I was able to follow this show....although I have to admit...the show was quite broken...mostly 3-4 episode & then break....not to mention no fixed time...plus whats with Seeker episode numbering.

Hope that next season....the show will run continosly....at fixed time with proper episode number...while maintaining the same high quality.
post #209 of 572 Old 05-26-2009, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

According to the seeker website, they are rerunning the episodes in order starting this weekend. The season finale is running the weekend of 10-24-09, so the earliest the new season would start would be 10-31-09.

http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/episode_guide.html
post #210 of 572 Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 226
OK, so now that Raal is gone, who's the next baddie? The new Mord Sith leader or someone else that we haven't seen? I enjoyed the finale and it was obvious that they did it that way in case it wasn't renewed, but I'm curious as to what lies ahead for the trio now.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page