Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1464 Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I agree and disagree. Yes, they have courage, but only from a certain stand-point. Once you get them in the line of fire, they start to question things, which makes them unreliable.

The problem isn't them per say, it's that they haven't been trained. For instance, you can take the "baddest" gang bangers from Compton and put them in Iraq, and guess what, they'd fold like a bunch of "bitchy little girls" (sorry for the Burn Notice reference). But it's true. If you aren't trained properly, you can talk a lot on camera.

Honestly, if the crew were as hard-core as they say they are, "willing to die for the whales" and all, they would have tried to seriously take out one of the Japanese ships by now. Not this little, try and foul the prop stuff....

You think what they do is easy? I don't! And having no training and still doing it says it all. These people are mostly ordinary people except for the ex-navy girl and whether you want to admit it or not they are putting their lives on the line for just being there which btw is voluntarily since they could be in the safe confines of their own homes instead but chose not to. Sorry I totally disagree with your logic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1464 Old 08-10-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdailey23 View Post

No...they are ball-less. I really hope they show a couple guys on their crying...it will make my day. bunch or gutless pansies. If they want to save these whales, they'd find something better to do than use sat. dishes and little bottles of smelly stuff. give me a break...wonder how much they are all getting paid for this stuff. I mean c'mon...the LRAD makes an annoying sound...the dish does nothing...how can you even attempt to try and fool them. phonies!!

Try watching the show before spouting off such nonsense.
post #363 of 1464 Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

You think what they do is easy? I don't! And having no training and still doing it says it all. These people are mostly ordinary people except for the ex-navy girl and whether you want to admit it or not they are putting their lives on the line for just being there which btw is voluntarily since they could be in the safe confines of their own homes instead but chose not to. Sorry I totally disagree with your logic!

All I see are a much of babies crying about getting wet and continually trying to convince the camera that they are risking their lives. Oh those deadly nuts flying through the air. .
post #364 of 1464 Old 08-11-2009, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As good as this episode was, it looks like next week will be the climax because they appear to have finally snapped after seeing whale blood and any sense of rational ( what little there was) from the Sea Sheperds crew seems to be gone. The Japanese better be wary of them because in that state of mind, they are very dangerous both to themselves and all others.

Are you kidding? The only thing those stooges are going to hurt is themselves.
post #365 of 1464 Old 08-11-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Are you kidding? The only thing those stooges are going to hurt is themselves.

Yes Vurbo, I get it, you don't like them. But lets be honest, they have a bigger set than most people here!

And yes, putting yourself in a position where you might get hurt could be considered dangerous! Thanks for proving my point!
post #366 of 1464 Old 08-11-2009, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I agree Lodef. There is nothing wimpy about the Sea Shepherds. Although, they don't always seem to be firing on all cylinders. I think this season the Japanese have surprised them with all of their counter measures, and Sea Shepherds are frustrated that none of their usual tactics are working.

post #367 of 1464 Old 08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But lets be honest, they have a bigger set than most people here!

Some of them definitely do, specifically the ones who go out in the inflatable boats. That does NOT include "Molly", the girl who seems to get hurt every other time they go out.... I really believe the only reason she's on that boat is because her fiance is.

Most of the ones who remain on the ship, especially Watson and his 1st Mate, are good at running their mouths. I DARE either of them to go out just ONCE in the inflatables.
post #368 of 1464 Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Yes Vurbo, I get it, you don't like them. But lets be honest, they have a bigger set than most people here!

And yes, putting yourself in a position where you might get hurt could be considered dangerous! Thanks for proving my point!

They don't have a a bigger set, they have smaller brains.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #369 of 1464 Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Honestly, I've never seen a bigger collection of goof balls than you see on this show. It's a great comedy, that wasn't ever supposed to be great comedy.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #370 of 1464 Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Try watching the show before spouting off such nonsense.

Been watching the show for a very long time....and they are stupid cowards. If your willing to die for an animal...then do it, dont talk and then back down...do it. The goal is no more deal whales...well , they failed and the entire crew is still alive.Ball less cowards
post #371 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:

Been watching the show for a very long time....and they are stupid cowards. If your willing to die for an animal...then do it, dont talk and then back down...do it. The goal is no more deal whales...well , they failed and the entire crew is still alive.Ball less cowards

Last time I checked they were still confronting them, short of shooting them with guns they can only do so much . Your statement is ridiculous!
post #372 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Last time I checked they were still confronting them, short of shooting them with guns they can only do so much . Your statement is ridiculous!

If they'd get creative there is plenty they could do...if they really want to stop these whales from getting killed. Plenty they can do. Again cowards!
post #373 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If they'd get creative there is plenty they could do...if they really want to stop these whales from getting killed. Plenty they can do. Again cowards!

Well then, enlighten us! What are some of the 'brave' things they could do to stop the whalers, and still remain within the law?

post #374 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 AM

If they are willing to DIE, then a little jail wont hurt them. Get a bigger boat and ram them, that would be good entertainment.
post #375 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Well then, enlighten us! What are some of the 'brave' things they could do to stop the whalers, and still remain within the law?

Wait a sec, don't get started on "within the law". I don't think intentionally trying to foul a ship's prop is lawful.

Either there is law or there isn't. If there is, intentionally attacking a ship, whether from inflatables or not, should be illegal. If there isn't any law, then they need to try some other tactics.

I don't believe the Japanese have ever once "attacked" the Sea Shepherds. They've always simply defended themselves. Can't say the same for Paul and his peanut gallery.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #376 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

They've already shown they will violate the law, and despite claiming to be willing to die for the cause, they tuck tail and run at the slightest Japanese response to their illegal aggression. There's a reason they are on the FBI's list of domestic terrorist organizations.

After the sentiment of the public is fully realized by the Japanese in the offseason - they will come back next year fully prepared to take the defensive actions afforded to them by international maritime law.

1) Issue warning for them to keep away.
>If they ignore the warnings
2) Attempt to disable their rudder or propeller. (whether or not they succeed)
>If they continue to attack
3)Use deadly force.

This applies not only to the Steve Irwin, but to the individual Zodiacs as well.
post #377 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My view is, there isn't really anything the SS'ers can do to stop whaling EXCEPT for self sacrifice in some form. If they're not willing to do that then stay home. Nothing they have done so far shows me any willingness to really stand up and be counted. Getting in a small boat and running around the ocean may be showing 'courage' to some but it shows me they really have nothing better to do with their lives than to make themselves feel good. That's not courage, it's phoney.
post #378 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Go play in the street and see if anyone calls you courageous. This show is Jacka@@ the movie on the southern Ocean, not bravery. Youve proven you don't understand what the word means. Sig's Crew in the Bering Sea is brave, these clowns are camera hungry stooges hamming it up for the camera! "Oh look Ive been shot!", "help they aimed the big bad LRAD at us!", "Help they are throwing nuts at us!", "help the Japanese sent anthrax in the mail to us!" BRAVERY??? Holy crap on a stick.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Wait a sec, don't get started on "within the law". I don't think intentionally trying to foul a ship's prop is lawful..

Isnt boarding a ship considered an act of piracy? But wait... its bravery right?

Interesting tidbit on the legality of the Japanese whaling effort:

Quote:

Japan has argued that the establishment of the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary was in contravention of the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling (ICRW) on which the IWC is based and is therefore illegal, and several prominent legal experts have agreed. While there is no settlement procedure in the IWC for this type of dispute, Japan has asked the IWC to submit its case to a relevant legal body for analysis, which the IWC has refused to do

post #379 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post

My view is, there isn't really anything the SS'ers can do to stop whaling EXCEPT for self sacrifice in some form. If they're not willing to do that then stay home. Nothing they have done so far shows me any willingness to really stand up and be counted. Getting in a small boat and running around the ocean may be showing 'courage' to some but it shows me they really have nothing better to do with their lives than to make themselves feel good. That's not courage, it's phoney.

Thank you...
post #380 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Wow, look at all the tough guys behind the keyboard. You guys make me laugh. Point is they don't have to be there at all but they are because they believe in their cause. You are all fools if you think anything short of killing themselves is bravery especially for something that is being videoed for a TV show. Some of the stunts they do are dangerous, plain and simple. Because you don't like what they are doing does not diminish that fact, there are a lot more things they could be doing with their lives and be much SAFER at the same time but they choose to be where they are. And that alone speaks for itself!!
post #381 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No matter what side of the fence you might come down on as far as whaling goes. I just don't think you can watch this show and come to the conclusion that the SS'rs aren't brave. There's nothing wimpy about getting out in the southern polar ocean in an inflatable boat and taking on several large sea-fairing ships. Now whether or not it's very smart, is a different discussion.

Also, I don't see why people here are so defensive on behalf of the Japenese. Let's face it, they're not exactly playing above board in this whole controversy either. After all, is there really anyone here who believes the Japanese are killing all of the whales in the name of Scientific Research?

post #382 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
IMO, there is a major difference between being brave and being stupid. Paul was stupid when he directed the ship through the ice, putting the entire crew at risk, that was not brave.

On last week's episode when Paul had the ship going in circles, and then tried recovering the zodiacs while performing the maneuver, was not brave. All he had to do was come to a complete stop, it's not like the Japanese were going to do anything. But no, he was reckless, and hammed it up to the camera making it look like the Japanese were going to attack him, hence his reckless endangerment to his crew. Once again, not brave, stupid.

The crew, sans ex-Navy girl (though the jury is still out on her), are not trained for what they're doing, hence, they have no business listening to Paul. That's not brave, it's stupid. Paul even stated last season he doesn't want professionals, that's freakin' ludicrous!

Don't get me wrong, if the Japanese are doing illegal whale hunting, I'm all for someone stepping in, but a professional group stepping in. OTOH, I don't know exactly how I feel about whaling, because I don't know all the details, ie. if whaling certain numbers is harmful to the species. I know for a fact I'm not against fishing. Jesus ate fish! (kidding)

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #383 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:

...You are all fools if you think anything short of killing themselves is bravery....

Who said this? They're the one's claiming total commitment to saving whales...well let's see what the 'total commitment' to a cause consists of in their minds.
Just because I express a opinion different than your's from behind a keyboard doesn't mean I'm more of a coward than people who go about claiming they're willing to give up their life for a cause but never come close to doing that.
I'm not for or against the whalers. I think they may be doing something illegal but that's really a different issue. Most of what the SSers do is shallow and self-serving, making tough for the camera. Nothing more.
post #384 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:

No matter what side of the fence you might come down on as far as whaling goes. I just don't think you can watch this show and come to the conclusion that the SS'rs aren't brave. There's nothing wimpy about getting out in the southern polar ocean in an inflatable boat and taking on several large sea-fairing ships. Now whether or not it's very smart, is a different discussion.

Also, I don't see why people here are so defensive on behalf of the Japenese. Let's face it, they're not exactly playing above board in this whole controversy either. After all, is there really anyone here who believes the Japanese are killing all of the whales in the name of Scientific Research?

Rutgar, you are exactly right. It is obvious you and I come away from this show with the same conclusions.
post #385 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 04:29 PM

I don't see anywhere on this thread where people are defending the Japanese. Your twisting words. Most are critical of the SS/Steve Irwin and their commitment to their cause. Get it straight. The Sea Sheperds are a typical bunch of phoney do gooders looking for a way to validate themselves in the world without doing much of anything but run their 'blow hole'...so to speak.
If they really wanted to become relavant to the cause they would spend much more time training, military style, refine their tactics before engaging, get crew that have some experience/knowledge in the art of engagement.
This is just a bunch of gang members doing what makes them feel better and validated in their minds. A complete joke compared to other's who have, right or wrong, believed enough in what they were doing to be effective. I hope they fail solely because success in these kind of endeavours shouldn't come as easy as throwing bottled acid or observing.
post #386 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Bravery and stupidity are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

The coward on the show is Paul Watson. He's exploiting the stupidity of his inexperienced crew - and their desire to be brave for the cause - in order to fuel his own ego. And it will eventually cost one of them their lives. Then Paul's only concern will be how to spin the PR from the death of his crewman to maximize the amount of donations directed to his retirement fund.
post #387 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post

I don't see anywhere on this thread where people are defending the Japanese. Your twisting words. Most are critical of the SS/Steve Irwin and their commitment to their cause. Get it straight. The Sea Sheperds are a typical bunch of phoney do gooders looking for a way to validate themselves in the world without doing much of anything but run their 'blow hole'...so to speak.
If they really wanted to become relavant to the cause they would spend much more time training, military style, refine their tactics before engaging, get crew that have some experience/knowledge in the art of engagement.
This is just a bunch of gang members doing what makes them feel better and validated in their minds. A complete joke compared to other's who have, right or wrong, believed enough in what they were doing to be effective. I hope they fail solely because success in these kind of endeavours shouldn't come as easy as throwing bottled acid or observing.

Yup, I'm sure that will do the trick! So what your basically saying is what they need is their own warship and a Seal type unit to do the engagement maneuvers. Unbelievable!

PS: You must be confusing this show with The Unit because that is what your pretty much describing in your statement. Check your DVR Listings!
post #388 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Wow, look at all the tough guys behind the keyboard. You guys make me laugh. Point is they don't have to be there at all but they are because they believe in their cause. You are all fools if you think anything short of killing themselves is bravery especially for something that is being videoed for a TV show. Some of the stunts they do are dangerous, plain and simple. Because you don't like what they are doing does not diminish that fact, there are a lot more things they could be doing with their lives and be much SAFER at the same time but they choose to be where they are. And that alone speaks for itself!!

My point is this, the law says they can kill X amount of whales...they do this. If the Phonies, aka the SS, want to stop whaling, go to the govt. that allows whaling. If they want to go after the Japs., who are doing their jobs, and say we are willing to die for these animals, then do it. Go out there and defend them. Dont sit on your boat, or little boats and drive beside them...it wont stop them. Hell no thats not bravery, its putting on a show. Im starting to think thats the only reason they are out there..get publicity and make money. The first time I watched the show I liked their idea...then watched it more and more and it was clear...they shouldnt be out there...in way over their heard or they are in it for the money and the publicity. There is nothing they can do to stop the killing of whales...they arent smart enough or willing to give up their lives like they say they will...PHONIES not bravery.
post #389 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:

Yup, I'm sure that will do the trick! So what your basically saying is what they need is their own warship and a Seal type unit to do the engagement maneuvers. Unbelievable!

PS: You must be confusing this show with The Unit because that is what your pretty much describing in your statement. Check your DVR Listings!

Thats not what he is saying...its called studying, reading, come with a plan that could actually stop them. I DTV dish and a 3 inch thick rope wont stop a HUGE BOAT!!!! Neither will driving in circles....get a clue...
post #390 of 1464 Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I just wanna know one thing...why do the Jpn find whale meat so damn tasty and delicious?! It's gotta be, if it's worth this much trouble to acquire it.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page