Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

You said that some people out there thought the SS crew was justified in there actions. All I was saying is that there are also some people in the world who think the same thing about the actions that took place on 9-11. My point was not that what the SS crew did was just as bad as the 9-11 attacks but, that just because some people think it was justified doesn't make those actions acceptable. I think we can all agree that those attacks were not acceptable and, I believe that the SS crew's actions are also unacceptable (I don't care what there cause is).

Then I would not have used that analogy but you did. Many here are taking it way to far with opionions that have nothing to do with this show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 58
It was a response to your assertion that somehow they should not be labeled as terrorists simply because some people believe in their cause. I can see the correlation.
post #543 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

It was a response to your assertion that somehow they should not be labeled as terrorists simply because some people believe in their cause. I can see the correlation.

Panther, my 5 year old nephew screams , take tantrums and throws things. I guess he could be considered a terrorist too.

Myself, I have no fear of any of the SS screw if I was among them in the general public. The same can not be said about REAL terrorist!
post #544 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Myself, I have no fear of any of the SS screw if I was among them in the general public. The same can not be said about REAL terrorist!

Sure it can - if you are also a terrorist, or not the target demo of the terrorist. You have no fear of the SS, because you aren't a Japanese whale hunter.
post #545 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Panther, my 5 year old nephew screams , take tantrums and throws things. I guess he could be considered a terrorist too.

Wow, talk about a weak analogy...
post #546 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Sure it can - if you are also a terrorist, or not the target demo of the terrorist. You have no fear of the SS, because you aren't a Japanese whale hunter.

So you are saying they ( any of the SS crew ) would kill that person or persons on the sole basis they are a whale hunter if they met face to face?

I'm curious for your response.
post #547 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post

Wow, talk about a weak analogy...

If others are going to make stupid comments, I might as well join in.
post #548 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

So you are saying they ( any of the SS crew ) would kill that person or persons on the sole basis they are a whale hunter if they met face to face?

A terrorist is anyone that uses fear or scare tactics for a political motive.

Quote:

the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.http://dictionary.reference.com/brow...rism?qsrc=2446

You don't have to kill thousands of people to be a terrorist. boarding a vessel, ramming it and throwing acid at its crew members certainy DEFINES watson and crew as terrorists. IMO, hoisting a pirate flag is enough to qualify. These clowns even advertise that they are terrorists with that.
post #549 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Now you're really stretching. How many people did the 19 hijackers kill in the months they lived in the US prior to 9/11? All the trips to the grocery store, strip clubs, etc. mingling with Americans and they didn't kill anybody.

Just because Watson is only targeting Japanese fishermen while they are on a ship doesn't make him any less of a terrorist. If he wimps out when face-to-face, it just makes him a hypocritical terrorist.

When deciding to ram that ship, he knew that he would be putting the lives of the people on both ships at risk. By doing it anyway, he made the judgment that his cause was more important than their lives. That's more than enough reason to blow him and his ship out of the water.

If he is so clueless that he did not know that ramming another ship is a potentially deadly act, then he does not belong behind the wheel of a ship and blowing him and his ship out of the water should be done as a public service.
post #550 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

A terrorist is anyone that uses fear or scare tactics for a political motive.

You don't have to kill thousands of people to be a terrorist.

Yes, but they do kill!

Point is the word is used too loosely around here and others apply it to the extreme when there is no reason for doing so.

I'd be willing to bet no one in the SS crew would try and hurt another human being just by what I see of them in this show.
post #551 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Now you're really stretching. How many people did the 19 hijackers kill in the months they lived in the US prior to 9/11? All the trips to the grocery store, strip clubs, etc. mingling with Americans and they didn't kill anybody.

Just because Watson is only targeting Japanese fishermen while they are on a ship doesn't make him any less of a terrorist. If he wimps out when face-to-face, it just makes him a hypocritical terrorist.

When deciding to ram that ship, he knew that he would be putting the lives of the people on both ships at risk. By doing it anyway, he made the judgment that his cause was more important than their lives. That's more than enough reason to blow him and his ship out of the water.

If he is so clueless that he did not know that ramming another ship is a potentially deadly act, then he does not belong behind the wheel of a ship and blowing him and his ship out of the water should be done as a public service.

Did he do it intentionally? Or is he just a bad skipper? He has never said so.
post #552 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Who is the Japanese Ninja chick on the bridge..

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

GOOZEX Game/Movie Exchange
post #553 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:

If others are going to make stupid comments, I might as well join in.

That's the spirit!!
post #554 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did he do it intentionally? Or is he just a bad skipper?

Given his record of ramming other ships, saying it was unintentional might be hard to believe. If he's hit them because he's simply "a bad skipper", well, that's reason enough to remove him, isn't it ?
post #555 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

Who is the Japanese Ninja chick on the bridge..

She's a translator so the Steve Irwin can communicate with the whalers. She hides her face for safety of her and her family (or so they say) back home in Japan.
post #556 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Did he do it intentionally? Or is he just a bad skipper? He has never said so.

He intentionally rammed into them - just as he intentionally was "playing chicken" earlier. The whole thing was seen on the finale.

You never navigate into, or close, to another vessel's course in open water because it can result in a collision that kills people. Doing so, then whining about the resulting collision is no excuse.

And yes he is a "bad skipper" because he puts the lives of his crew and the crew of other vessels in jeopardy. The combination of him being willing to attack others, and him being an incompetent skipper makes him a menace on the high seas.
post #557 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet no one in the SS crew would try and hurt another human being just by what I see of them in this show.

Watch the finale then see if you can say that with a straight face.

You don't ram another vessel (puncturing a hole in your ship) unless you are willing to hurt, or kill, the people on that ship.
post #558 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:

Watch the finale then see if you can say that with a straight face.

You don't ram another vessel (puncturing a hole in your ship) unless you are willing to hurt, or kill, the people on that ship.

I did watch it.

What I remember is them trying to cut the line to prevent them from loading the dead whale to the process ship and when they got close, the bridge was blasted with a water cannon rendering visibility as useless. To say he did it intentionaly, when he couldn't see where he was going, is open to debate.
post #559 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post

That's the spirit!!

Thanks, and in an effort to extend that spirit, I welcome your next post!
post #560 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now who is stretching? He didn't make any such judgement, it's called risk assessment. Funny how he was the one who said, "back off" when it became clear that the ships' collision was causing both ships to lean in a dangerous way. If his cause was more important than lives as you have declared as fact, he wouldn't have "backed off."

Also, your comparison of the SS to the 9/11 highjackers is just ridiculous and insulting. It's a lazy comparison.
post #561 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn View Post

Funny how he was the one who said, "back off" when it became clear that the ships' collision was causing both ships to lean in a dangerous way.

He wouldn't have had to back off if he hadn't rammed the Yushin #3 in the first place!
post #562 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now who is stretching? He didn't make any such judgement, it's called risk assessment. Funny how he was the one who said, "back off" when it became clear that the ships' collision was causing both ships to lean in a dangerous way. If his cause was more important than lives as you have declared as fact, he wouldn't have "backed off."

Also, your comparison of the SS to the 9/11 highjackers is just ridiculous and insulting. It's a lazy comparison.

I didn't see both ships leaning in a dangerous way, I only saw the Steve Irwin leaning that way.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #563 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:

He didn't make any such judgement, it's called risk assessment.

That's asinine. Who in their right mind would allow this imbecile's "risk assesment" abilities determine their fate?

"I just wanted to get close - or maybe squeeze in between two ships - I had no idea that we might hit something"

Intentional, or incompetent - either way somebody needs to sink the SI before they kill somebody.
post #564 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:

That's asinine. Who in their right mind would allow this imbecile's "risk assesment" abilities determine their fate?

"I just wanted to get close - or maybe squeeze in between two ships - I had no idea that we might hit something"

Intentional, or incompetent - either way somebody needs to sink the SI before they kill somebody.

By definition according to Vurbo, with that statement you could be viewed as a terrorist.
post #565 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:

By definition according to Vurbo, with that statement you could be viewed as a terrorist.

Hardly, it has nothing to do with a political agenda. I'm more against whaling than for it, but I support sinking the SI as a measure to protect innocent lives at sea. And if the Japanese sink it, it is an act of self-defense. They don't even need to wait for them to get close, or to threaten them again. Their past actions are enough to act proactively.

Ideally, it can be sunk while docked with nobody on board. If not, then at least the loss of life will be limited to those that are actively engaging in activities that threaten the lives of others.
post #566 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 202
Quote:

Ideally, it can be sunk while docked with nobody on board. If not, then at least the loss of life will be limited to those that are actively engaging in activities that threaten the lives of others.

Off with their heads!
post #567 of 1464 Old 08-24-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I didn't see both ships leaning in a dangerous way, I only saw the Steve Irwin leaning that way.

This will forever put to rest the notion that the SI was rammed. Video from the JP view clearly shows the extreme deck angle to the SI was caused by their own momentum and agressive right turn intentionally to ram the whaler. I'm tellin' ya, they need a sub.
post #568 of 1464 Old 08-25-2009, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I have to agree with this. Comparing the Sea Shepherds to Al Qaeda is like saying Russel Crowe throwing a phone at a Hotel Desk Clerk, is the same as what the Manson Family did to Sharon Tate. The two aren't in the same ball park, it's not in the same league, hell... it's not even the same fraking sport!

post #569 of 1464 Old 08-25-2009, 06:31 AM

The comparisons were only made to highlight the absurdity to claims that the SS were not terrorists - when the reasons given would mean Al Qaeda weren't terrorists either. Nothing to do with the "degree" of terrorist. The only thing lazy is failing to read enough of the post to see the distinction before going off halfcocked.
post #570 of 1464 Old 08-25-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:

The comparisons were only made to highlight the absurdity to claims that the SS were not terrorists - when the reasons given would mean Al Qaeda weren't terrorists either. Nothing to do with the "degree" of terrorist. The only thing lazy is failing to read enough of the post to see the distinction before going off halfcocked.

So I guess we need a terrorist scale to rate the degree of harm or danger each group possesses then. Because that is basically what you have do if you are willing to make such comparisons that your statement above suggest. So according to you then, not all terrorist are created equal. Do I have that right? And where would you put the SS crew on your scale panther?
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page