Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

16x9 is feeling threatened and increasing his violence! He does not understand that it is not required that he sign-off on the points that have been provided for them to be valid. If we move on to other points of discussion, it is because his assessments were weak and summarily dismissed.

Violence? Really? Do you even know what you just said?

Again, who is the "we" you keep refusing to discuss? You mean the two of you? Nothing is stopping you from moving on other than your insistence on having the last word on a subject that you've added nothing to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9rochester View Post

Nothing is stopping you from moving on other than your insistence on having the last word on a subject that you've added nothing to.

Lol

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #903 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The guy cannot even figure out that I am employing SS shtick upon him. :lol: He clearly sides with the clueless...not of the show, but just the general group of clueless people that walk the streets and are under threat of drowning in a rainstorm if they look up.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #904 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:

The guy cannot even figure out that I am employing SS shtick upon him. :lol:

Ah, you're hilarious. I'm sure everyone but me got that incredibly witty addition to your runaway train of evasion. Once again, I bow to the master of wit, and all things funny.

HINT: Random quotes from a Watson interview don't always play well on the written page. But, hey, you're the comedy expert. But weren't you also the one who just said....
"why would we take your contributions to this topic seriously to any degree,"

Anyway, since you can't bear to tear your self away, how about going back and addressing any of the various questions that have been put to you but you continue to ignor?
post #905 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if they are going to show another whale being harpooned.

post #906 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

I wonder if they are going to show another whale being harpooned.

If they film another one, I'm sure they will show it.
post #907 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

There is no need for me to waste effort on answering your questions. The answers already lay before you in the 29 pages before this one. Your a smart guy...look it up for yourself. You should be sure to note that all of us here have thoroughly discussed our stances on the matter and the assessment of the SS's operational effectiveness over the course of those 29 pages. It is fairly reasonable to cite at this time that there is a reasoned consensus that the SS are plagued with some degree of dumbass and clueless-ness, and said incompetence makes for fairly comedic entertainment value.

Sorry you don't agree, and sorry you were too late for that discussion. We are not obliged to re-justify all of that to satisfy your demands for justification. You simply need to deal with it and understand that your point of view will face many challenges at this topic, since you have disregarded the past 29 pages as not existing. You were simply called too late to backup your friend lodef...not our problem.

post #908 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just wanted to throw this in, I consider this show comedy gold.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #909 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:

There is no need for me to waste effort on answering your questions. The answers already lay before you in the 29 pages before this one. Your a smart guy...look it up for yourself. You should be sure to note that all of us here have thoroughly discussed our stances on the matter and the assessment of the SS's operational effectiveness over the course of those 29 pages. It is fairly reasonable to cite at this time that there is a reasoned consensus that the SS are plagued with some degree of dumbass and clueless-ness, and said incompetence makes for fairly comedic entertainment value.

Sorry you don't agree, and sorry you were too late for that discussion. We are not obliged to re-justify all of that to satisfy your demands for justification. You simply need to deal with it and understand that your point of view will face many challenges at this topic, since you have disregarded the past 29 pages as not existing. You were simply called too late to backup your friend lodef...not our problem.

i don't know lodef, in fact my very first post here was to disagree with him, before others jumped in with the "the show is popular because it's funny" routine. At which point I said if it's funny, it's because you clearly side with the Japan. No big deal if you do or you don't.

Regardless of your previous 29 pages, that doesn't discount anyone coming in later and specifically challenging your statments. You clearly have plenty of energy to keep typing and posting, just not to anything that I challenge you or your other South Park wanna-be buddys on.

I've NEVER disagreed with the assesment that SS are plagued with some degree....as you so elegantly put it when you're not taking the high road...."dumbass-ness". That is true, I've simply called it inexpereince due to a mostly volunteer crew that changes. But even though your exclusive group of posters who contributed to the....remind me again how many pages....oh, yes, 29 pages up to this point may have had some sort of love fest of bonding in which you've all determined that you laugh at one sides problems, it doesn't mean the show, by it's nature, is meant to be funny, unless.....as I've said many time now, you sympathize with Japn. If you do fine. Some others can just admit it. You can't. That's fine. You've chosen to stick hard and long to this "comedy theory", even though the show is aired on Animal Planet, not comedy Central.

I don't need to go back and look at anything. You've made you positions about whaling clear.
post #910 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

There's the part where you put words in people's mouths. I think there has only been one post here where someone cites they are for the whalers, and it wasn't me. By your own warped logic, can we also conclude that you are clearly for terrorists and guerrilla warfare tactics? Is it accurate to label you as a fundamental radicalist, as well? How about an "end justifies the means" kinda guy?

The information you seek is all laid out there in 29 pages, and clearly you have demonstrated that you DON'T WANT to open your eyes to it. That looks really bad on you, not me, my friend.

Finally, you appear to have demonstrated a principle source of your disconnect with the participation of this topic. YOU think that we think the show is intentionally appealing to comedic elements, which is just plain incorrect. I think it is fairly reasonable to say all concerned here have the understanding that the show is actually trying to be serious. That doesn't change the fact that their frequent bumbles is great fodder for comedic value. It's a serious show that simply cannot help but to play itself as out in a comedy of errors.

The thing that the SS are desperately missing wrt getting support is to at least LOOK like they know what they are doing and appear on camera as persons of honesty and integrity. They can have the most noble cause on Earth, and it won't bring people to them, if they appear dishonest, spin, distort, and deliberately provoke situations to make it look like somebody has unfairly attacked them. It also doesn't help when they can barely launch an operation w/o consistent, frequent screw-ups and blunders. People may not side with the whalers, but the assembly of misfits known as the Sea Shepards don't really lend themselves to likability or trustworthiness, either.

Perhaps, that is your greatest source of frustration- that the SS actually has to earn respect rather than expect to inherit it just from the cause they promote. It doesn't work that way. They have demonstrated themselves to be not so honorable in the manner they pursue the cause, and hence it is only natural to expect that people are not going to overwhelmingly look toward them as heroic poster children to the cause. Reasonable people would just assume not align with them or the whalers, just like people aren't running out to endorse ACORN...

post #911 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

So after seeing the footage from tonight's show, I really cant say clearly who was at fault for the collision. Two videos, different angles, show different things. Now for some funny stuff, them making fun of the LRAD, they better not complain about those things being used ever again, since they feel they are a joke. Too bad they couldn't tow the Ady back and save part of it. Next week time for Pete to go do something stupid and board the Shonan.

post #912 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I look forward to seeing the latest episode as soon as PSN store has it up...

post #913 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
How about you guys take your p*ssing contest to PM ?
post #914 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So after seeing the footage from tonight's show, I really cant say clearly who was at fault for the collision. Two videos, different angles, show different things.

I have to admit, the SS had a good camera angle. Why was it such low-quality video though ? A consumer-grade camcorder does better than what they showed. Of course, the skeptic in me thinks they found the "best" video they could to show.

Leading up to it, they clearly suggested that the Ady Gil was drifting, waiting for the Steve Irwin (they were going to have to wait for 3 days !?!?!). The footage from the Japanese ship shows that they weren't drifting though.
post #915 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The telltale sign for me is the looking down perspective the Jpn whaler ship had- you could see the water churning/swirling along the outline of the Ady Gil towards the rear, which suggests the engine was running and was generating maneuvering thrust. If that was their true operational state, then they had every means to turn and burn with whatever fuel they had left.

post #916 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeap, I agree with that (and that's what I pointed out in the video I linked to a few days ago). I'm really surprised that Animal Planet showed that video. Of course, I don't think AP is 100% behind SS. They might be 80-90% though...
post #917 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Since Watson likes to brag about the ships he has sunk, the Shonan should put the Ady Gill on the side of its ship.

post #918 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:

Is this what you resort to when you got nothing else left. Mr Hanky you just got schooled and I enjoyed every minute of it! Whale Wars to me does not qualify as a comedy but I must say some of your responses could certainly pass for such. Thanks for the laugh.
post #919 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since Watson likes to brag about the ships he has sunk, the Shonan should put the Ady Gill on the side of its ship.

I paused the show and pointed out that irony to my son while Watson (I think) was giving his version of events to some media outlet. The shirt he was wearing listed vessels they've either rammed or sunk.
post #920 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 PM

This one episode will probably help them more than anything they have shown so far in their 2-1/2 seasons. After seeing it, the one playing chicken was the Japanese ship. They may or may not have done it intentionally but this was a big mistake on their part. The Ady Gil crew was on the deck waving to the Bob Barker, reason it was not moving. With all that water out there, there is no way that ship should have been anywhere near it but it seems they managed to find a way to be right in their path. I'll file this as the same as them calling themselves a research operation. Coincidence? I think not.
post #921 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

I paused the show and pointed out that irony to my son while Watson (I think) was giving his version of events to some media outlet. The shirt he was wearing listed vessels they've either rammed or sunk.

Yeah, I saw the shirt also, pretty arrogant IMHO. I guess what goes around comes around. They have sunk and rammed ships, yet when it happens to their ships its blatant and wrong. I still feel the Ady was a ship that shouldn't of been there, its not a proper ship for what they are trying to do. Paul always blamed the whalers last season for any contact, so now that they have a taste of what it feels like maybe they will operate in a safer matter. But I doubt it.

post #922 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 PM

Just finished and caught up on the thread. Here are my thoughts:

1)I agree with the above poster. The SS have not helped their cause by their "dishonest[y], spin, distort[ions], and deliberately provok[ing] situations to make it look like somebody has unfairly attacked them." They have lost a lot of credibility in my eyes. We can see the lies they try spread and it sets them back. The consensus from most of the posters in this thread is as the poster stated above.

2)The show is fount of unintentional comedy.

3)The Japanese were probably at fault for the crash with the Ady Gil

4)I don't think it was intentional. It looked to me like they rolled into the Ady Gil (that is what the captain of the Ady Gil said as well.) Also, it looked like the Ady Gil sped up right at the end, but likely not in time to turn or move. It really would be interesting to see all of the footage unedited for the 30 minutes before and after the crash, especially from the Ady Gil. The episode clearly tried to make a big case for how maneuverable the Nisshan Maru 2 was, and how the Ady Gil guys were just sitting around doing nothing. It smacked a bit of propaganda, but given the extra footage might have been justified.

5)In any case, smashing the Ady Gil certainly hurt the Japanese position.

6)That Peter guy on the Bob Barker is an arrogant prick... The whole "International law requires that you respond to my May Day" and "We will defend them with our lives" struck me as overdramatic, arrogant, bullying. Honestly, it was the reaction of a fundamentalist... someone who cannot see any other viewpoint than their own version of reality. This fundamentalism has been less evident this season, but obviously shows up.

7)The Ady Gil captain is an astute man. He recognizes that a major reason for the Japanese whaling is pride. What he doesn't realize is that their method of stopping whaling amounts to bullying... and will, IMO, strengthen the Japanese resolution to continue. What is needed is cooler heads, and a method for the Japanese to save face. Honestly, I bet Captain Kirk or Picard could swoop in and have this whole thing resolved in 1 ep.

8)Finally, it was inevitable, given the SS escalations of tactics and untrained zealots as crew that an accident was going to happen. Someone will die sooner or later out there. I also believe that Paul Watson wants a death that he can spin. I think he holds human life with little regard, both those of his crew, who he sees as expendable (except for his inner circle), and for the Japanese. I think he has dehumanized most of his crew as peons and pawns, and the Japanese and vicious enemies. He is a dangerous man to follow.
post #923 of 1464 Old 07-16-2010, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder how the SS would react if they had a whaling ship going down. Would be great to see if they responded to a mayday from the whalers.

post #924 of 1464 Old 07-17-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:

I wonder how the SS would react if they had a whaling ship going down. Would be great to see if they responded to a mayday from the whalers.

They offered assistance before when one of the JP crewmen went overboard but were refused. Guess you don't pay close enough attention to even mention that question or is that just your bias talking?
post #925 of 1464 Old 07-17-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

6)That Peter guy on the Bob Barker is an arrogant prick... The whole "International law requires that you respond to my May Day" and "We will defend them with our lives" struck me as overdramatic, arrogant, bullying.

He did it the way he did because he knew cameras were on him. Then when the Japanese did respond, he told them to stay away. Why was he calling may-day then ? I don't doubt for a second that editing took place to make it appear that the Japanese didn't respond for a long time.
post #926 of 1464 Old 07-17-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

After seeing it, the one playing chicken was the Japanese ship. They may or may not have done it intentionally but this was a big mistake on their part.

I'll agree with you on this. And more than likely, it was intentional.

But let's not forget, a few episodes ago, Paul Watson did the exact same thing (playing chicken), but performing a "Crazy Ivan" behind the iceberg. And the Japanese changed course in that instance. This time, the Ady Gil didn't get out of the way in time, and it cost them.

As others have said, a vessel like the Ady Gil had no business being out in those waters, under those conditions. As usual, I don't think Paul really thought that situation out (bringing the Ady Gil out there).

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #927 of 1464 Old 07-17-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

8)Finally, it was inevitable, given the SS escalations of tactics and untrained zealots as crew that an accident was going to happen. Someone will die sooner or later out there. I also believe that Paul Watson wants a death that he can spin. I think he holds human life with little regard, both those of his crew, who he sees as expendable (except for his inner circle), and for the Japanese. I think he has dehumanized most of his crew as peons and pawns, and the Japanese and vicious enemies. He is a dangerous man to follow.

Paul has stated on numerous occasions that he believes human beings are at the bottom of the list of worthiness. I believe one time he said that he holds a rock in higher esteem than a human.

And you're correct, he is a very dangerous man to follow, and the captain of the Ady Gil has found that out.

post #928 of 1464 Old 07-17-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9rochester View Post

Great!

Anyway, I actually remember that password thing, that was something about attacking the Japanese boat with stink bombs using a code over the radio. I remember rolling my eyes over that one. Not exactly rolling on the floor with laughter, but it certainly showed the inexperiecne of David compared to golaith. I cliked on the link though, it's about Cartman singing a Lady GaGa song, not about the passwords or SSs.

Sorry, thought it would jog one's memory, if they saw the episode.

If you haven't seen it, here ya go:
http://hdbox.bg/w/uc-d5d77fa2?set_accept=1

Mods, if this is against any rules, my apologies, and feel free to delete the link.

post #929 of 1464 Old 07-17-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Sorry, thought it would jog one's memory, if they saw the episode.

If you haven't seen it, here ya go:
http://hdbox.bg/w/uc-d5d77fa2?set_accept=1

Mods, if this is against any rules, my apologies, and feel free to delete the link.

Best episode of South Park ever.
post #930 of 1464 Old 07-17-2010, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

They offered assistance before when one of the JP crewmen went overboard but were refused. Guess you don't pay close enough attention to even mention that question or is that just your bias talking?

I don't remember that, so that doesn't make my question bias at all.

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page