Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 1464 Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabin View Post

I don't think many could compare those knuckleheads to anything in the real world. Face it, the curtains are falling on your hapless SS soulmates.

OK, If you say so. And I didn't know I was a soul mate considering as much as I would like to see whales protected, I certainly wouldn't do what their doing so your analogy seems a little off base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1464 Old 08-05-2010, 04:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The SS Failboat heads right for the storm, oh dear, i hope they don't capsize

post #1053 of 1464 Old 08-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder what the execs at AP think - they might have been hoping for the SSs to vanquish the evil meat-eating JPs, but instead they've fallen on their own swords by tripping over themselves.

Sooner or later the Cap'n might order the cameras thrown overboard to avoid further embarassment.
post #1054 of 1464 Old 08-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
SS Failboat does more damage to themselves then to the Japanese.

Maybe they should hire real sailors or mercs instead of wasting donation money on shiny objects.
post #1055 of 1464 Old 08-05-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
With all the failure this season, they will probably throw out a number bigger then last year of the whales they saved.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #1056 of 1464 Old 08-06-2010, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I cant believe the arrongance of the captain of the BB. Comparing a man losing his job and possibly his home and everything else to "hardship" that everyone else was experiencing? You gotta be kidding me! BTW I bet he could snap that 4 eyed geek first mates neck with one hand.
post #1057 of 1464 Old 08-06-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

Anyone notice the captain of the bob barker saying I don't want anyone to risk their life trying to board a whaling ship, or something like that? You have Watson saying he doesn't want people not willing to risk their lives. Then we have the pilot talking about going back to fix the helicopter, yet the number one mission is to stop whaling. So the helicopter to him takes precedence over saving whales since in his mind its needed.

They do not have a chance in Hades without that copter.
post #1058 of 1464 Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

I have to ask. What sort of time restraints did that guy think he was getting involved in? Not sure why he was complaining. Were they planning on leaving the rest of the fleet earlier? The captain needed to put a stop to his complaining immediately. Instead he was a wimp about it.

Tethering the zepplin to the other didnt make sense to me. How did they not notice the boats before one was practically under water. Where was that bilge pump?

I am no boating expert. My only experience was my dad taking me out on his boat as a kid. Even I knew that boat shouldnt have been used in that shallow of water. I loved that he made an effort to explain that he was just a school teacher. This confirms my theory that most of these people, not all just want to play sailor and have no business being on a boat much less having any responsibility.

Loved captain watson blaming the crew for the zepplins getting ruined. Where was he during all of this? He just refuses to take any responsibility when it comes to actually being a captain.

Captain? He is a self proclaimed ADMIRAL of his own little Goof Troop terrorist Navy.
post #1059 of 1464 Old 08-06-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

They do not have a chance in Hades without that copter.

They don't have a chance in Hades with it either.

post #1060 of 1464 Old 08-06-2010, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I have to admit that I thought the guy sky diving onto the back of the ship was pretty funny. Looked like he almost harpooned himself with one of the spikes on the side of the ship.

post #1061 of 1464 Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Every week they make it seem like next week Bethune goes on the ship, its pissing me off. Now I am thinking it might be on the last show.

post #1062 of 1464 Old 08-07-2010, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The new saying for the millennium when something gets cluster-F'd...ooopsies, totally Sea Shepperded that one!

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #1063 of 1464 Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 PM

Presented for your approval, my conversation with a SS supporter from the 2 different reddit.com threads.

Quote:

Gadianton
I think from watching the show that the Sea Shepards are setting back the cause of stopping whale hunting. They have made this a matter of pride to the Japanese, who can't back down without losing face.
I think from watching the show that the Sea Shepards are setting back the cause of stopping whale hunting. They have made this a matter of pride to the Japanese, who can't back down without losing face.

knomevol
frankly i don't think "pride" is a valid reason to kill. sounds like an immature excuse that they are not likely to admit. so while they are busy "growing up," we should tolerate the poaching?

while everyone else wants to talk it out, the whales still die. it's time to say enough with the immature pride: talking about it produces nothing but talk - it's time to take action, get out there and stop the illegal poaching.

Gadianton
Pride is not a good reason. I am not defending Japanese whaling.

But if the goal is to stop whaling with the least cost of whales lives lost, then in my opinion, the Sea Shepards are hurting more than helping. Their actions prolong the day whaling will end resulting in more whales dieing in the meantime.

Talk is how you get a sovereign democratic nation to change their minds. Talking to the people convincing them on the grassroots level, talking to diplomats on a political level. Educating people about the whales, their families, emotions, etc.

But instead, the SS has decided to bully and bluster about (and pretty ineffectively at that), giving their opponents arguments to continue whaling. Frankly, the law is pretty clear and the Japanese aren't breaking it... they surely are exploiting a loophole, but it is within the law.

All the SS do is firm the resolve of the Japanese public that this whaling issue is a us vs them... the Japanese vs the Westerners... They have forced the government to keep going or they lose face. There is a reason why you always hear the phrase "We do not negotiate with terrorist... we do not give into terrorist demands."

The discussion should be an emotional one about the suffering of sentient creatures... and instead the SS makes it a pissing match between cultures. Sure Whale Wars gives them more funding, but at the same time it hardens the resolve of their opponents, lengthening the time whaling will continue to occur.

knomevol
you want to talk, talk, talk, meanwhile whales die.

Gadianton

lol, the internet equivalent of putting your fingers in your ear, humming and yelling "I can't hear you."

Yes exactly. Do that some more. You will surely stop whaling by your "actions."

Thanks for the amusement.

knomevol

thanks for your trolling.

Quote:

Gadianton

The quota is self imposed and they normally catch 50-60% of it. The quota is essentially meaningless. They could very well be releasing higher numbers than they really plan on catching to show that they have restraint... or to set a precedent... or any number of reasons.

A better measure would be comparing the number of whales year over year... a quick search seems to show that the number of whales killed is slowly increasing.

knomevol
you're right. it really doesn't really matter what number they set - they are a self-acclaimed nation of humans-of-higher-caliber than all other human races, why expect any less of a sadistic sentiment when it comes to non-humans?

Gadianton

Wonderful. This is an example of what I was saying in the other thread. By demonizing and dehumanizing your opponent, you immediately cut off any chance of changing their minds or compromising. The Japanese will never stop whaling as long as you and the SS make it into a "We're good and they are evil thing."

I bring up the numbers issue because the article did... and it is misleading. The SS would like the world to think that they are super effective... "look they only caught half their quota, give us money." When in reality the Japanese caught as many whales as they wanted too. The SS hasn't affected the number of total whales killed in any meaningful way. And in fact, the SS have probably added years to the Japanese whale hunt by hardening the pro-whaling positions rather than changing their minds.

So in the end the SS cause more whale deaths.

knomevol

ps: i'm not demonizing or dehumanizing my opponent.

i said: "they are a self-acclaimed nation of humans-of-higher-caliber than all other human races"

that's well documented.

Ethnic issues in Japan

In 2005, a United Nations special rapporteur on racism and xenophobia expressed concerns about "deep and profound" racism in Japan and insufficient government recognition of the problem.

DISCRIMINATION AND RACISM IN JAPAN

Theodore Bestor, a professor of Japanese Studies at Harvard, told the New York Times: Japanese tend to have a fairly strong kind of inherent belief that genetics and biology really matter in terms of people's behavior. So I think Japanese might be much more predisposed to thinking about a kind of genetic basis for personality than most Americans would.

knomevol

talk, talk, talk. talk talk, talk talk.

Gadianton

lol, the internet equivalent of putting your fingers in your ear, humming and yelling "I can't hear you."

Yes exactly. Do that some more. You will surely stop whaling by your "actions."

Thanks for the amusement.

knomevol
no. that's me saying i've spoken with you. you're a hater that wants to hate. might as well try to reform charles manson. go on and hate. i call you out for what you are: a troll.

Whale Wars is really a show about extremist fundamentalists. I am more sure than ever that this is the type of mentality you would expect from Al Qaeda or various cults.
post #1064 of 1464 Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Tonight's episode was really boring over all. Pete Bethune really showed what kind of a nut job he is. Yeah you are going to scubadive under a ship and use an oxygen torch to cut the propeller. They will never even see you, except for a boat parked along side with some hoses running out of it.

post #1065 of 1464 Old 08-14-2010, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When they pulled out the speaker me and my wife were seriously laughing at that one. It sounded like something that should have been in the the South Park episode.
post #1066 of 1464 Old 08-14-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpepling View Post

When they pulled out the speaker me and my wife were seriously laughing at that one. It sounded like something that should have been in the the South Park episode.

We will show you whalers who's in charge. We are going to blast you with show tunes.

post #1067 of 1464 Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Just wait for the Japanese to hit the speakers with their water cannons !! Yeah, yeah, I imagine they're not paper-cone type speakers, but what if they are ?
post #1068 of 1464 Old 08-14-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpepling View Post

I told my wife they are missing a perfect opportunity to rick roll them.

All I have to say is if "le admirale" rams the factory ship a) he is beyond stupid and b) it would lose all the momentum he had with the #2 ramming the Bob Barker and the woe is me card

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #1069 of 1464 Old 08-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Go Japan! Defeat the commies!
post #1070 of 1464 Old 08-14-2010, 05:12 PM

An episode with some SS success. No doubt it will be short lived. Mother nature could throw a monkey wrench with a storm and medium sized swells. Looks to me like the Japanese are sizing things up. I'd guess they could bring 2 whalers, one on each side of any ship following the processing ship, and pinch it from the stern while a whale is handed off.
post #1071 of 1464 Old 08-14-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabin View Post

An episode with some SS success. No doubt it will be short lived. Mother nature could throw a monkey wrench with a storm and medium sized swells. Looks to me like the Japanese are sizing things up. I'd guess they could bring 2 whalers, one on each side of any ship following the processing ship, and pinch it from the stern while a whale is handed off.

Thats what I was thinking, all they need to do was block the SS's from being too close. I am sure they will come up with some more ideas for next year.

post #1072 of 1464 Old 08-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Someone's got to get that "head cook" lady off the bridge. Miss Panic.

Bunch of pansies.
post #1073 of 1464 Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmrt View Post

Someone's got to get that "head cook" lady off the bridge. Miss Panic.

Bunch of pansies.

Your clueless, they may not be successful at what they do but it takes something just for being there never mind the risk they take when doing some of their tactics.
post #1074 of 1464 Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wanderer View Post

Go Japan! Defeat the commies!

If you relate whale lovers to commies, you really need a history lesson.
post #1075 of 1464 Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Your clueless, they may not be successful at what they do but it takes something just for being there never mind the risk they take when doing some of their tactics.

Yeah, but that doesn't make me clueless. A cook belongs in the f******g kitchen, not on the bridge acting like an alarmist pip.

And the risk they take? It's like handing a chimp a loaded gun and waiting for it to blow it's own brains out.

Every time they get into a harrowing situation half the ship s***s their pants. If they skate away by the hair of their chinny chin chins they high-five and declare themselves awesome. They act like bloodthirsty pirates but as soon as they get a smack-down they're all "aw damn someone record my last moments on Earth" and stuff lolz

The rest of the crew is just pissed that those "really big, spooky waves" keep ****ing up their game of D&D.
post #1076 of 1464 Old 08-15-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Both sides in the whaling controversy are attempting to enforce their will on the other side, without actually breaking the law. Breaking a law would force the authorities to intervene and arrest the offending party or vessel and take them out of play.

That is why for example that they throw stinkbombs by hand, and why the Japanese use water cannon and LRAD sound projectors - because these things all stop short of the definition of "violence with a deady weapon".

I see two crews of volunteers in 60-year-old vessels that are unfit for sea, risking their lives for a cause they believe in, in the most dangerous ocean on the Earth. Say what you will about their tactics or methods - but these people are in fact risking themselves for a motive they believe in.

It's easy enough for you to sit in front of your computer screen and make fun of them. It's doubtfull that any of you would leave your comfortable existence, give up your job, travel halfway around the world at your own expense, and volunteer your services to protect some animals. Especially if you had to do so in the deadly Antarctic seas in a decrepit vessel that is frankly unfit to leave port.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #1077 of 1464 Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clmrt View Post

Yeah, but that doesn't make me clueless. A cook belongs in the f******g kitchen, not on the bridge acting like an alarmist pip.

And the risk they take? It's like handing a chimp a loaded gun and waiting for it to blow it's own brains out.

Every time they get into a harrowing situation half the ship s***s their pants. If they skate away by the hair of their chinny chin chins they high-five and declare themselves awesome. They act like bloodthirsty pirates but as soon as they get a smack-down they're all "aw damn someone record my last moments on Earth" and stuff lolz

The rest of the crew is just pissed that those "really big, spooky waves" keep ****ing up their game of D&D.

No, your whole argument was defeated ( see Gary's post ) so I will standby my original statement.
post #1078 of 1464 Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

Both sides in the whaling controversy are attempting to enforce their will on the other side, without actually breaking the law. Breaking a law would force the authorities to intervene and arrest the offending party or vessel and take them out of play.

That is why for example that they throw stinkbombs by hand, and why the Japanese use water cannon and LRAD sound projectors - because these things all stop short of the definition of "violence with a deady weapon".

I see two crews of volunteers in 60-year-old vessels that are unfit for sea, risking their lives for a cause they believe in, in the most dangerous ocean on the Earth. Say what you will about their tactics or methods - but these people are in fact risking themselves for a motive they believe in.

It's easy enough for you to sit in front of your computer screen and make fun of them. It's doubtfull that any of you would leave your comfortable existence, give up your job, travel halfway around the world at your own expense, and volunteer your services to protect some animals. Especially if you had to do so in the deadly Antarctic seas in a decrepit vessel that is frankly unfit to leave port.

Awesome summation Gary! Well put.
post #1079 of 1464 Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course we wouldn't, because most of us don't consider what they are doing brave, we consider it stupidity.

post #1080 of 1464 Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I see two crews of volunteers in 60-year-old vessels that are unfit for sea...

Especially if you had to do so in the deadly Antarctic seas in a decrepit vessel that is frankly unfit to leave port.

What does it say about folks who would do this ? There are a couple of possibilities... It doesn't mean that your opinion is "right" nor does it mean those who feel differently than you are right either.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page