Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1464 Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

For those interested. Whale Wars starts its second season this Friday on Animal Planet HD. Also, I believe they are going to run the entire first season beginning mid-day, leading up to the first episode of the new season in the evening.

Thanks, I was wondering if they would have a second season after I heard that all their footage was confiscated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1464 Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I want to see the japanese breakout a few .50 cal machine guns and defend themselves from these pirates/terrorists.
post #93 of 1464 Old 06-03-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

I want to see the japanese breakout a few .50 cal machine guns and defend themselves from these pirates/terrorists.

LOL! Wouldn't that make for some great TV! The Japanese could just claim they thought they were Somolians.

post #94 of 1464 Old 06-03-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:

LOL! Wouldn't that make for some great TV! The Japanese could just claim they thought they were Somolians.

I must say, I'm kind of excited for the new season. I think their campaign to save the whales has backfired (at least for me), but the Sea Sheppard's actions do make for good tv. (I wonder if you can order whale meat from the internet... I'm curious what it tastes like.)
post #95 of 1464 Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

I must say, I'm kind of excited for the new season. I think their campaign to save the whales has backfired (at least for me), but the Sea Sheppard's actions do make for good tv. (I wonder if you can order whale meat from the internet... I'm curious what it tastes like.)

A quick Google search says travel to Alaska, make friends with the natives and find out. The same could be said of Norway or Japan, but AK is closer for those of us in the lower 48.
post #96 of 1464 Old 06-03-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

A quick Google search says travel to Alaska, make friends with the natives and find out. The same could be said of Norway or Japan, but AK is closer for those of us in the lower 48.

I did a quick google search and it seems that most people say whale meat tastes like beef. A few said they preferred it to beef (more tender and sweeter). I think I read someplace that Japan doesn't have a lot of cattle, due to the amount of land it takes to keep them. I wonder if the seafood-less more beefy taste of whale is what makes it so popular there.

In which case, the solution to whaling may be more/cheaper beef in Japan.
post #97 of 1464 Old 06-08-2009, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, the Captain of the Steve Irwin continully shows to be what wreckless dumbass he is. The helicopter finds the japanese ship, and gives them directions. The crew is so incomptitant that they sail right past their turn, so in order to make up for their mistake, they decide to sail right into a densly packed ice field which their ship's hull isn't designed for.

Like last season, it will be a miracle if they don't end up killing someone.

post #98 of 1464 Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I thought the same thing about them missing the "turn". Maybe they went too far to make it sensible to simply turn around and back-track. They thought the 'factory ship' would have time to leave. I say, send the helicopter back out while they back-tracked. If the helicopter saw it moving, they could still cut it off (by going through the ice). At least that wouldn't be their first option and it would be *less* ice.
post #99 of 1464 Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

I'm curious to know what whale meat tastes like as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

I say go to Norway and get some whale meat. The women are GORGEOUS!!!

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #100 of 1464 Old 06-08-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn View Post

Nobody is holding a gun to anyone's head, and plenty of crew have left in protest.

How can crew members get off the ship once they realize the captin is suicidal and a fanatic, and they are stuck in the middle of an ice field?
post #101 of 1464 Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-TV View Post

I'm curious to know what whale meat tastes like as well.

I say go to Norway and get some whale meat. The women are GORGEOUS!!!

I used to live in Sweden; I concur the Scandinavian women are gorgeous. I don't recall the Swedes eating whale much though it was before I gave any thought about it.
post #102 of 1464 Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post

How can crew members get off the ship once they realize the captin is suicidal and a fanatic, and they are stuck in the middle of an ice field?

Jump off and hope they can make it to land before they reach the end of the ice bergs.

You would think after 20 something years being down there near ice they would've reinforced the ship to protect against ice.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #103 of 1464 Old 06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Hey, at least they got a cover/mini hangar for the helicopter.

post #104 of 1464 Old 06-13-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last nights episode had several dramatic moments. The temporary loss of the Zodiac was a little concerning. They had a similar problem last season when they lost communication with one as well.

The ice field looks like serious business. Pretty narley seeing the inside of the hull buckle in like that! Even the camara man had to say, "F This!"

post #105 of 1464 Old 06-13-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Last nights episode had several dramatic moments. The temporary loss of the Zodiac was a little concerning. They had a similar problem last season when they lost communication with one as well.

The ice field looks like serious business. Pretty narley seeing the inside of the hull buckle in like that! Even the camara man had to say, "F This!"

They always complain about the communications, getting the boat down, etc. Do they even train them to use them?

Yeah when that camera man left did you see the look on that guys face? It was great.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #106 of 1464 Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
They don't seem to have trained much at at and then blame the rookies when things go south. I can just imagine the whales asking "Is there anybody else?"

If the hull was compromised, just what were the duo in the rope locker expected to do? Use that bucket?
post #107 of 1464 Old 06-13-2009, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I think they just told them that it was their responsibility to "Stop the leaks". (The smiley is because it made me laugh, not because I'm joking - IIRC, that's exactly what they told them)

Love watching this show. Hard to believe that they get enough funding from people to go out and play Pirate Ship. They practice throwing the rancid butter, but forgot to practice launching the runabout, navigation and communications.

Eventually, this is going to have a very ugly ending, but until then, it's entertaining watching their ineptitude.
post #108 of 1464 Old 06-13-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyBee View Post

They don't seem to have trained much at at and then blame the rookies when things go south. I can just imagine the whales asking "Is there anybody else?"

If the hull was compromised, just what were the duo in the rope locker expected to do? Use that bucket?

I was wondering the exact same thing! What is it they were supposed to do? All I could think of was the TV show 'Lost in Space' from when I was a kid. Several times they had a hull breach on the Jupiter 2, and they had what looked like a large hockey puck with a handle that they would stick over the hole to stop the air leak.

post #109 of 1464 Old 06-13-2009, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
How does this operation get and keep insured? I can't believe any insurance would'nt be revoked for someone intentionally taking a ill-designed ship into major ice fields.

Also, no rescue should be done for these reckless criminals if they go down. It's one thing to put themselves in danger but then to expect others to come to their rescue and risk everything is not right. These criminals conviniently change their world view to their benefit to save their own skin but would kill all onboard a Japanese vessel if given the chance.

I've worked on a few big ships before and those shots of the hull flexing due to ice pressure are so frightening I can't believe that ship isn't on the bottom. Absolutely suicidal.
post #110 of 1464 Old 06-13-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, the Captain of the Steve Irwin continully shows to be what wreckless dumbass he is. The helicopter finds the japanese ship, and gives them directions. The crew is so incomptitant that they sail right past their turn, so in order to make up for their mistake, they decide to sail right into a densly packed ice field which their ship's hull isn't designed for.

Like last season, it will be a miracle if they don't end up killing someone.

Amen, What an idiot. That guy should be tried for attempted murder heading into that ice with an unfit ship. And then they send 2 guys down inside the hull and tell them to fix it if it rips open?????? The only thing those two are going to do down there is die 10 minutes earlier than the rest of those idiots.

As far as the show goes we had one episode getting into the ice and now another episode stuck in the ice. Did they run out of material??? We are to endure 3 weeks of this idiots decision to go into the ice?
post #111 of 1464 Old 06-13-2009, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Amen, What an idiot. That guy should be tried for attempted murder heading into that ice with an unfit ship. And then they send 2 guys down inside the hull and tell them to fix it if it rips open?????? The only thing those two are going to do down there is die 10 minutes earlier than the rest of those idiots.

As far as the show goes we had one episode getting into the ice and now another episode stuck in the ice. Did they run out of material??? We are to endure 3 weeks of this idiots decision to go into the ice?

If you say this life threatening situation has occurred before on tape and they put themselves in the same/or worse again...how can this be accepted even by the most stanch activist of any persuasion? I've been starting to view this crew in a different way...I see in their eyes a 'suicide bomber' mentality. Be ionized...I see some very scared people too...many on the bridge but those two or three people in the rope room have their fate in a lunatics hands.
post #112 of 1464 Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohead View Post

If you say this life threatening situation has occurred before on tape and they put themselves in the same/or worse again...how can this be accepted even by the most stanch activist of any persuasion? I've been starting to view this crew in a different way...I see in their eyes a 'suicide bomber' mentality. Be ionized...I see some very scared people too...many on the bridge but those two or three people in the rope room have their fate in a lunatics hands.

I was thinking this too, but then I remembered he didn't seem this idiotic last year. With this being the 2nd season its possible potential volunteers would see what he is really like.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #113 of 1464 Old 06-14-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Did others catch it when they mentioned it would be "weeks" before others could reach them in order to rescue them if something were to happen, i.e. their boat sinks ? Where do they think they'll be sitting waiting for the rescuers ?
post #114 of 1464 Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyBee View Post

Thats the same thing I thought when I saw that bucket.

post #115 of 1464 Old 06-14-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

Did others catch it when they mentioned it would be "weeks" before others could reach them in order to rescue them if something were to happen, i.e. their boat sinks ? Where do they think they'll be sitting waiting for the rescuers ?

There will be no rescue. Recovery maybe, rescue no.
post #116 of 1464 Old 06-14-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I don't know what it is, but for as much as I despise the "protagonists" of this show, somehow it all ends up being rivetting!

Regarding the incidental malfunctions along the way, it's like Star Trek meets Real Life, where somebody manages to fix critical systems just in the nick of time to save the ship. I don't know how that is remotely possible for real life circumstances, but nonetheless, these instances are supposedly captured in live footage. Seems like there should be more likelihood of being SOL, so I don't know how they manage to keep pulling it out in the nick of time.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #117 of 1464 Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

I don't know what it is, but for as much as I despise the "protagonists" of this show, somehow it all ends up being rivetting!

Regarding the incidental malfunctions along the way, it's like Star Trek meets Real Life,

Hey, maybe they can sling shot around Antartica, go back in time, grab up a couple of whales that they know are about to be killed, come back to their normal time, and release the whales far away from the Japanese fleet!

...sorry. I just couldn't resist.

post #118 of 1464 Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I love the look on the face of the new chick (who was in the U.S. Navy) on several occasions. She has the look of, "Are you freakin' kidding me?" when the captain or 1st mate make a decision.

The 1st mate (the guy that's been with him since the early 80's) has no clue how to navigate that vessel, and has no business being at the helm. Some of his comments kill me:

"I don't keep up with all that technology like these kids do, just give me the sun and stars to navigate" (Or something like that)

Then a few moments later, while navigating through the ice:

"Don't tell me 270-degrees, I don't know what that means, it confuses me, say something like 20-degrees starboard"

This guy is going to get someone killed.

And what did the captain say? Something like, "This is why I don't want professionals, professionals are only in it for the money. Volunteers do it because they want to." The only way I'd ever step foot on that ship is if I were the helicopter pilot.

I'm seriously surprised the Japanese haven't paid someone to assassinate this guy yet, since in their culture, they're very honorable.

btw, in Season 1, when Pottsie and the other guy boarded the ship, the first thing I thought was, hell, throw them overboard, the zodiac is right there, they'll be alright. They boarded the ship illegally, I doubt they'd have gotten in trouble for it.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #119 of 1464 Old 06-15-2009, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

How do you know when your an idiot?

When you take a ship full of ~100 people into an area known for ice and your ship isn't rated for ice.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #120 of 1464 Old 06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The captain reminds me of a radicalist version of Captain Kangaroo! (Anybody remember that guy?)

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page