'Whale Wars' on Animal Planet HD - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1201 of 1477 Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

You made a generalized statement that "no one" would believe it, but can't even explain why you do not believe it.

The only reason there was no one killed on the Ady Gil was luck. There was no skill involved on the Japanese side for the fortunate outcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1477 Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabin View Post

Done. You can have the title "world wide web discussion forum savant." Congrats, now I'm deep sixing you.

Can you hear the violin playing and see the box of tissues by my side.
post #1203 of 1477 Old 08-22-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

Show has been boring, when is that guy finally going to board the Jap ship?

I thought this week was pretty good, next week is the finale so there is your answer.
post #1204 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It seems the Japanese have just let the SS numb-nuts follow them around and stop them from whaling. I mean, they could have easily had their boats flank the processing ship on either side and then the processing ship could have sped up, turned and left the SS dingle berries in the dust. The harpoon ships would have blocked the SS from turning to follow until it was too late. They need to study some wartime tactics.

It's almost like they just didn't care to get away. Now I would laugh my butt off if we all found out that there was another processing ship loading itself to the gills somewhere else. Imagine the look on the hippies when they found out they were bamboozled.
post #1205 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

The only reason there was no one killed on the Ady Gil was luck. There was no skill involved on the Japanese side for the fortunate outcome.

So they weren't "fortunate", they were "lucky". That's fine if you want to make that distinction. The point is that the Japanese were within their rights to T-bone the Ady Gil and send her to the bottom of the ocean, and they didn't. If you want to attribute that to an assumption that the Japanese were just not competent enough to plow right into the middle of the Ady Gil and they missed, than we can just agree to disagree. I think it's pretty clear they took an angle that wasn't intended to completely demolish the Ady Gil.
post #1206 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:

So they weren't "fortunate", they were "lucky". That's fine if you want to make that distinction. The point is that the Japanese were within their rights to T-bone the Ady Gil and send her to the bottom of the ocean, and they didn't. If you want to attribute that to an assumption that the Japanese were just not competent enough to plow right into the middle of the Ady Gil and they missed, than we can just agree to disagree. I think it's pretty clear they took an angle that wasn't intended to completely demolish the Ady Gil.

I totally disagree with your assumptions and I'll end it with that.
post #1207 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I wonder how long until we see Alligator Wars? If you don't know what I am talking about, watch Swamp People.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #1208 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65T500 View Post

It seems the Japanese have just let the SS numb-nuts follow them around and stop them from whaling. I mean, they could have easily had their boats flank the processing ship on either side and then the processing ship could have sped up, turned and left the SS dingle berries in the dust. The harpoon ships would have blocked the SS from turning to follow until it was too late. They need to study some wartime tactics.

It's almost like they just didn't care to get away. Now I would laugh my butt off if we all found out that there was another processing ship loading itself to the gills somewhere else. Imagine the look on the hippies when they found out they were bamboozled.

I somewhat agree. The second the heli took off from the Irwin, two harpoon vessels and the MS-II should have "boxed" in the Irwin, from the rear and sides. The MS-II could simply have turned on it's water cannon, not allowing the heli to land. Or let it land and then blast it.

The Irwin couldn't have done anything, except possibly ram a side ship.

Also, when the Japanese pulled out their own portable "spud guns", I was hoping they were flame-throwers. That would have been pretty cool, though not sure of the legalities.

The Japanese let that opportunity slipped through their fingers.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #1209 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Sorry if I missed some former discussion, but I just can't read this post and not comment.

How can ANY vehicle, no matter what type of vehicle it is, be within their "right" to T-bone another??? Granted, the captain deserves a metal if he can truly steer an 8000 ton ship going at high speed plus or minus 10 feet to hit a target dead on.
post #1210 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Now I would laugh my butt off if we all found out that there was another processing ship loading itself to the gills somewhere else. Imagine the look on the hippies when they found out they were bamboozled.

That would be hilarious !!
post #1211 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

Sorry if I missed some former discussion, but I just can't read this post and not comment.

How can ANY vehicle, no matter what type of vehicle it is, be within their "right" to T-bone another??? Granted, the captain deserves a metal if he can truly steer an 8000 ton ship going at high speed plus or minus 10 feet to hit a target dead on.

It's understood to be that way by default where it involves a train and a car left on the tracks. In fact, the whole scenario of a harpoon ship vs. smaller, maneuverable speed boat is largely the same in concept, altogether. Even kids understand this dynamic- if you are the small guy, don't play chicken with the large guy. You're either going to have to flinch or pay dearly if you don't. Either way, it is lose-lose.

Marco Robbi is THE most exquisite human creature on the face of the planet, in this moment in time.
post #1212 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

That would be hilarious !!

I don't think the whales would find it particularly funny.
post #1213 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I don't think the whales understand humor the way we do.
post #1214 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

The "right" is due to International Maritime Law's guidelines on dealing with any aggressive vessel or pirates:

1) Issue warning for them to keep away.
>If they ignore the warnings
2) Attempt to disable their rudder or propeller.
or
3)Use deadly force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Even kids understand this dynamic- if you are the small guy, don't play chicken with the large guy. You're either going to have to flinch or pay dearly if you don't. Either way, it is lose-lose.

If it comes down to just big ship vs. small ship "rules of the road" where the smaller vessel is obligated to yield a wide path for the larger vessel, the Japanese wouldn't have a leg to stand on since they are the ones that approached the Ady Gil - and it appeared that they changed course to do so.
post #1215 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

Curious as to what your definition of humor is because If it is the killing of one of the smartest mammals on the planet then maybe I missed something.
post #1216 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Curious as to what your definition of humor is because If it is the killing of one of the smartest mammals on the planet then maybe I missed something.

The killing itself isn't funny. The thought of the SSers chasing after a decoy while the real ship is whaling freely is funny.
post #1217 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

I think the whales are just bias.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #1218 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #1219 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The lack of some's understand of basic maritime law explains a lot of opinions.

As a boat owner for many years, there are just some things that are too obvious. Yet, many have no clue.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #1220 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can ask them... I would have thought it was 100% obvious I was referring to the SS and whalers.
post #1221 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:

You can ask them... I would have thought it was 100% obvious I was referring to the SS and whalers.

Then what would they be loading the other processor ship with if it did not involve whales? I think that is the problem here, many believe this is a big joke. I'll let you in on something, there are many who believe it is not including myself. At least we will know who to blame when their gone and we'll have the SS'ers to thank for documenting it all.
post #1222 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
...or they will go down in history as a joke before the whales were gone and after the whales were gone. Not only did they fail to stop the whaling, but they were chasing the wrong ship, altogether, evidently.

Marco Robbi is THE most exquisite human creature on the face of the planet, in this moment in time.
post #1223 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lodef, understand me here, I'm somewhat sympathetic towards the whales. I'm not really educated on their numbers...I know some are MUCH more prevalent than others. I can remember when many said that Buffalo would be extinct...things can and do change. A world without whales would be a sadder place.

That said, the SS'ers are just dangerous/ignorant with some of their endeavors. Playing chicken with a boat 10 times your size is nuts. Maybe it will bring pressure on the Japanese...time will tell.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #1224 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

Lodef, understand me here, I'm somewhat sympathetic towards the whales. I'm not really educated on their numbers...I know some are MUCH more prevalent than others. I can remember when many said that Buffalo would be extinct...things can and do change. A world without whales would be a sadder place.

That said, the SS'ers are just dangerous/ignorant with some of their endeavors. Playing chicken with a boat 10 times your size is nuts. Maybe it will bring pressure on the Japanese...time will tell.

Thank you for the reasonable post. I agree with some of the things you say. Yes they can be dangerous but mostly to themselves but they believe this is what they have to do so it is worth it. I don't think Japan will ever stop whaling and the population of whales has steadily declined over the years. I think one of the main goals of this show was to bring attention to that and there is where I disagree with most here because I believe they have succeeded big time in accomplishing that. Yes time will tell if the added pressure on the Japanese will produce anything but I have my doubts hence why I hold zero sympathy towards them and do side with the SS'ers despite their borderline tactics.
post #1225 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that is the problem here, many believe this is a big joke.

You only read what you want to read. I've stated more than once how I feel about whales and *gasp*, it's not much different than yours. My comments in this thread are about .... the TV show .... and the SS .... and the whalers. Seems you're in the wrong thread. Does the SS website have a forum section ?
post #1226 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:

You only read what you want to read. I've stated more than once how I feel about whales and *gasp*, it's not much different than yours. My comments in this thread are about .... the TV show .... and the SS .... and the whalers. Seems you're in the wrong thread. Does the SS website have a forum section ?

No thanks, I'll stay here. Someone has to keep you all in line.
post #1227 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Agreed. I think most of us here agree that while we hate to see any of the whales slaughtered, we keep rooting for the Japanese to outsmart the hippies for some reason.

I would love to see the SS idiots give up so we can all root for the whales again.
post #1228 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Agreed. I think most of us here agree that while we hate to see any of the whales slaughtered, we keep rooting for the Japanese to outsmart the hippies for some reason.

I would love to see the SS idiots give up so we can all root for the whales again.

+1. I think Lodef sometimes takes it too personally, I doubt anyone on here is rooting against the whales, though there may be some that couldn't care less either way.

Regardless, I glad Lodef contributes to the conversation, keeps it interesting.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #1229 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

+1. I think Lodef sometimes takes it too personally, I doubt anyone on here is rooting against the whales, though there may be some that couldn't care less either way.

Regardless, I glad Lodef contributes to the conversation, keeps it interesting.

Taz, honestly I was one of those that couldn't care less about whales until I went on a whale watch a couple years ago and was truly amazed when one of these enormous creatures came right up to the side of the boat and looked us in the eye as we looked back. He stayed there for almost a full minute before he went back under but I swear he was just as curious about us as we were about him. It was an experience I will never forget. When I see one killed on the show, it really bothers me because I think back to that whale I saw and is the reason why I appreciate what the SS'ers are doing even though many don't agree with their tactics.
post #1230 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Where were the SSers today when that poor whale calf in Sobe got lost?

This thread has gotten me interested in watching this show. I had dismissed it, but now I may have to check it out.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page