'Whale Wars' on Animal Planet HD - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1201 of 1477 Old 08-22-2010, 09:27 PM
 
Lodef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northshore, MA
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

You made a generalized statement that "no one" would believe it, but can't even explain why you do not believe it.

The only reason there was no one killed on the Ady Gil was luck. There was no skill involved on the Japanese side for the fortunate outcome.
Lodef is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1202 of 1477 Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 PM
 
Lodef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northshore, MA
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabin View Post

Done. You can have the title "world wide web discussion forum savant." Congrats, now I'm deep sixing you.

Can you hear the violin playing and see the box of tissues by my side.
Lodef is offline  
post #1203 of 1477 Old 08-22-2010, 09:32 PM
 
Lodef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northshore, MA
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

Show has been boring, when is that guy finally going to board the Jap ship?

I thought this week was pretty good, next week is the finale so there is your answer.
Lodef is offline  
post #1204 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
 
65T500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: N.Y. Area
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems the Japanese have just let the SS numb-nuts follow them around and stop them from whaling. I mean, they could have easily had their boats flank the processing ship on either side and then the processing ship could have sped up, turned and left the SS dingle berries in the dust. The harpoon ships would have blocked the SS from turning to follow until it was too late. They need to study some wartime tactics.

It's almost like they just didn't care to get away. Now I would laugh my butt off if we all found out that there was another processing ship loading itself to the gills somewhere else. Imagine the look on the hippies when they found out they were bamboozled.
65T500 is offline  
post #1205 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

The only reason there was no one killed on the Ady Gil was luck. There was no skill involved on the Japanese side for the fortunate outcome.

So they weren't "fortunate", they were "lucky". That's fine if you want to make that distinction. The point is that the Japanese were within their rights to T-bone the Ady Gil and send her to the bottom of the ocean, and they didn't. If you want to attribute that to an assumption that the Japanese were just not competent enough to plow right into the middle of the Ady Gil and they missed, than we can just agree to disagree. I think it's pretty clear they took an angle that wasn't intended to completely demolish the Ady Gil.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #1206 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:06 AM
 
Lodef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northshore, MA
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

So they weren't "fortunate", they were "lucky". That's fine if you want to make that distinction. The point is that the Japanese were within their rights to T-bone the Ady Gil and send her to the bottom of the ocean, and they didn't. If you want to attribute that to an assumption that the Japanese were just not competent enough to plow right into the middle of the Ady Gil and they missed, than we can just agree to disagree. I think it's pretty clear they took an angle that wasn't intended to completely demolish the Ady Gil.

I totally disagree with your assumptions and I'll end it with that.
Lodef is offline  
post #1207 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I wonder how long until we see Alligator Wars? If you don't know what I am talking about, watch Swamp People.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!


My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
mx6bfast is offline  
post #1208 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taz291819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 5,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65T500 View Post

It seems the Japanese have just let the SS numb-nuts follow them around and stop them from whaling. I mean, they could have easily had their boats flank the processing ship on either side and then the processing ship could have sped up, turned and left the SS dingle berries in the dust. The harpoon ships would have blocked the SS from turning to follow until it was too late. They need to study some wartime tactics.

It's almost like they just didn't care to get away. Now I would laugh my butt off if we all found out that there was another processing ship loading itself to the gills somewhere else. Imagine the look on the hippies when they found out they were bamboozled.

I somewhat agree. The second the heli took off from the Irwin, two harpoon vessels and the MS-II should have "boxed" in the Irwin, from the rear and sides. The MS-II could simply have turned on it's water cannon, not allowing the heli to land. Or let it land and then blast it.

The Irwin couldn't have done anything, except possibly ram a side ship.

Also, when the Japanese pulled out their own portable "spud guns", I was hoping they were flame-throwers. That would have been pretty cool, though not sure of the legalities.

The Japanese let that opportunity slipped through their fingers.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
taz291819 is offline  
post #1209 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
curtlots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northeast WI
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

So they weren't "fortunate", they were "lucky". That's fine if you want to make that distinction. The point is that the Japanese were within their rights to T-bone the Ady Gil and send her to the bottom of the ocean, and they didn't. If you want to attribute that to an assumption that the Japanese were just not competent enough to plow right into the middle of the Ady Gil and they missed, than we can just agree to disagree. I think it's pretty clear they took an angle that wasn't intended to completely demolish the Ady Gil.

Sorry if I missed some former discussion, but I just can't read this post and not comment.

How can ANY vehicle, no matter what type of vehicle it is, be within their "right" to T-bone another??? Granted, the captain deserves a metal if he can truly steer an 8000 ton ship going at high speed plus or minus 10 feet to hit a target dead on.
curtlots is offline  
post #1210 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dayton
Posts: 2,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65T500 View Post

Now I would laugh my butt off if we all found out that there was another processing ship loading itself to the gills somewhere else. Imagine the look on the hippies when they found out they were bamboozled.

That would be hilarious !!
hall is offline  
post #1211 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr. Hanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

Sorry if I missed some former discussion, but I just can't read this post and not comment.

How can ANY vehicle, no matter what type of vehicle it is, be within their "right" to T-bone another??? Granted, the captain deserves a metal if he can truly steer an 8000 ton ship going at high speed plus or minus 10 feet to hit a target dead on.

It's understood to be that way by default where it involves a train and a car left on the tracks. In fact, the whole scenario of a harpoon ship vs. smaller, maneuverable speed boat is largely the same in concept, altogether. Even kids understand this dynamic- if you are the small guy, don't play chicken with the large guy. You're either going to have to flinch or pay dearly if you don't. Either way, it is lose-lose.

Marco Robbi is THE most exquisite human creature on the face of the planet, in this moment in time.
Mr. Hanky is offline  
post #1212 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 11:59 AM
 
Lodef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northshore, MA
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

That would be hilarious !!

I don't think the whales would find it particularly funny.
Lodef is offline  
post #1213 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeremy W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

I don't think the whales would find it particularly funny.

I don't think the whales understand humor the way we do.
Jeremy W is offline  
post #1214 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Moderator
 
CPanther95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

How can ANY vehicle, no matter what type of vehicle it is, be within their "right" to T-bone another??? Granted, the captain deserves a metal if he can truly steer an 8000 ton ship going at high speed plus or minus 10 feet to hit a target dead on.

The "right" is due to International Maritime Law's guidelines on dealing with any aggressive vessel or pirates:

1) Issue warning for them to keep away.
>If they ignore the warnings
2) Attempt to disable their rudder or propeller.
or
3)Use deadly force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Even kids understand this dynamic- if you are the small guy, don't play chicken with the large guy. You're either going to have to flinch or pay dearly if you don't. Either way, it is lose-lose.

If it comes down to just big ship vs. small ship "rules of the road" where the smaller vessel is obligated to yield a wide path for the larger vessel, the Japanese wouldn't have a leg to stand on since they are the ones that approached the Ady Gil - and it appeared that they changed course to do so.
CPanther95 is offline  
post #1215 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 12:54 PM
 
Lodef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northshore, MA
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

I don't think the whales understand humor the way we do.

Curious as to what your definition of humor is because If it is the killing of one of the smartest mammals on the planet then maybe I missed something.
Lodef is offline  
post #1216 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jeremy W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Detroit
Posts: 4,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Curious as to what your definition of humor is because If it is the killing of one of the smartest mammals on the planet then maybe I missed something.

The killing itself isn't funny. The thought of the SSers chasing after a decoy while the real ship is whaling freely is funny.
Jeremy W is offline  
post #1217 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WaTaGuMp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The OC
Posts: 1,847
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

I don't think the whales understand humor the way we do.

I think the whales are just bias.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
WaTaGuMp is offline  
post #1218 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mx6bfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 6,894
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Curious as to what your definition of humor is because If it is the killing of one of the smartest mammals on the planet then maybe I missed something.


HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!


My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
mx6bfast is offline  
post #1219 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
McDonoughDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The lack of some's understand of basic maritime law explains a lot of opinions.

As a boat owner for many years, there are just some things that are too obvious. Yet, many have no clue.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
McDonoughDawg is offline  
post #1220 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dayton
Posts: 2,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

I don't think the whales would find it particularly funny.

You can ask them... I would have thought it was 100% obvious I was referring to the SS and whalers.
hall is offline  
post #1221 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 07:36 PM
 
Lodef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northshore, MA
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

You can ask them... I would have thought it was 100% obvious I was referring to the SS and whalers.

Then what would they be loading the other processor ship with if it did not involve whales? I think that is the problem here, many believe this is a big joke. I'll let you in on something, there are many who believe it is not including myself. At least we will know who to blame when their gone and we'll have the SS'ers to thank for documenting it all.
Lodef is offline  
post #1222 of 1477 Old 08-23-2010, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mr. Hanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
...or they will go down in history as a joke before the whales were gone and after the whales were gone. Not only did they fail to stop the whaling, but they were chasing the wrong ship, altogether, evidently.

Marco Robbi is THE most exquisite human creature on the face of the planet, in this moment in time.
Mr. Hanky is offline  
post #1223 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
McDonoughDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lodef, understand me here, I'm somewhat sympathetic towards the whales. I'm not really educated on their numbers...I know some are MUCH more prevalent than others. I can remember when many said that Buffalo would be extinct...things can and do change. A world without whales would be a sadder place.

That said, the SS'ers are just dangerous/ignorant with some of their endeavors. Playing chicken with a boat 10 times your size is nuts. Maybe it will bring pressure on the Japanese...time will tell.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
McDonoughDawg is offline  
post #1224 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 07:58 AM
 
Lodef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northshore, MA
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonoughDawg View Post

Lodef, understand me here, I'm somewhat sympathetic towards the whales. I'm not really educated on their numbers...I know some are MUCH more prevalent than others. I can remember when many said that Buffalo would be extinct...things can and do change. A world without whales would be a sadder place.

That said, the SS'ers are just dangerous/ignorant with some of their endeavors. Playing chicken with a boat 10 times your size is nuts. Maybe it will bring pressure on the Japanese...time will tell.

Thank you for the reasonable post. I agree with some of the things you say. Yes they can be dangerous but mostly to themselves but they believe this is what they have to do so it is worth it. I don't think Japan will ever stop whaling and the population of whales has steadily declined over the years. I think one of the main goals of this show was to bring attention to that and there is where I disagree with most here because I believe they have succeeded big time in accomplishing that. Yes time will tell if the added pressure on the Japanese will produce anything but I have my doubts hence why I hold zero sympathy towards them and do side with the SS'ers despite their borderline tactics.
Lodef is offline  
post #1225 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dayton
Posts: 2,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

I think that is the problem here, many believe this is a big joke.

You only read what you want to read. I've stated more than once how I feel about whales and *gasp*, it's not much different than yours. My comments in this thread are about .... the TV show .... and the SS .... and the whalers. Seems you're in the wrong thread. Does the SS website have a forum section ?
hall is offline  
post #1226 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 09:42 AM
 
Lodef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northshore, MA
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

You only read what you want to read. I've stated more than once how I feel about whales and *gasp*, it's not much different than yours. My comments in this thread are about .... the TV show .... and the SS .... and the whalers. Seems you're in the wrong thread. Does the SS website have a forum section ?

No thanks, I'll stay here. Someone has to keep you all in line.
Lodef is offline  
post #1227 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
65T500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: N.Y. Area
Posts: 274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

I don't think the whales would find it particularly funny.



Agreed. I think most of us here agree that while we hate to see any of the whales slaughtered, we keep rooting for the Japanese to outsmart the hippies for some reason.

I would love to see the SS idiots give up so we can all root for the whales again.
65T500 is offline  
post #1228 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
taz291819's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Huntsville, Al
Posts: 5,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65T500 View Post

Agreed. I think most of us here agree that while we hate to see any of the whales slaughtered, we keep rooting for the Japanese to outsmart the hippies for some reason.

I would love to see the SS idiots give up so we can all root for the whales again.

+1. I think Lodef sometimes takes it too personally, I doubt anyone on here is rooting against the whales, though there may be some that couldn't care less either way.

Regardless, I glad Lodef contributes to the conversation, keeps it interesting.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
taz291819 is offline  
post #1229 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Lodef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Northshore, MA
Posts: 3,177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

+1. I think Lodef sometimes takes it too personally, I doubt anyone on here is rooting against the whales, though there may be some that couldn't care less either way.

Regardless, I glad Lodef contributes to the conversation, keeps it interesting.

Taz, honestly I was one of those that couldn't care less about whales until I went on a whale watch a couple years ago and was truly amazed when one of these enormous creatures came right up to the side of the boat and looked us in the eye as we looked back. He stayed there for almost a full minute before he went back under but I swear he was just as curious about us as we were about him. It was an experience I will never forget. When I see one killed on the show, it really bothers me because I think back to that whale I saw and is the reason why I appreciate what the SS'ers are doing even though many don't agree with their tactics.
Lodef is offline  
post #1230 of 1477 Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 6,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Where were the SSers today when that poor whale calf in Sobe got lost?

This thread has gotten me interested in watching this show. I had dismissed it, but now I may have to check it out.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!


My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Ericglo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off