Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1464 Old 06-15-2009, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

The captain reminds me of a radicalist version of Captain Kangaroo! (Anybody remember that guy?)

Would that make Peter the moose?

And all that ice is really ping pong balls!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1464 Old 06-15-2009, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's really just another reality show, only this one has a political purpose. Some might like it while others will be turned off.
post #123 of 1464 Old 06-16-2009, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

I love the look on the face of the new chick (who was in the U.S. Navy) on several occasions. She has the look of, "Are you freakin' kidding me?" when the captain or 1st mate make a decision.

The 1st mate (the guy that's been with him since the early 80's) has no clue how to navigate that vessel, and has no business being at the helm. Some of his comments kill me:

"I don't keep up with all that technology like these kids do, just give me the sun and stars to navigate" (Or something like that)

I was thinking the same thing. This guy is supposed to be an experienced seaman? Where did he learn how to sail... with Colombus? I almost half expected him to go out and drop a drag line to see how many knots they're going.

post #124 of 1464 Old 06-20-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone see last nights episode (yet)? Anyone believe that there was really a missing person from that Japanese ship Keishan (spelling guess) Maru?

I Googled some words right now but could not find any info.

"Don't f**K with my levels!"
post #125 of 1464 Old 06-20-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
The Jpn are getting smart and leveraging propaganda (my suspicion) to their benefit, when the opportunity arises.

I was highly amused (with the last episode- finally got caught up with the show) when it seemed like our merry band of eco-warriors got themselves in a life-threatening situation on the count of not enough global warming (glaciers gone mad).

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. This guy is supposed to be an experienced seaman? Where did he learn how to sail... with Colombus? I almost half expected him to go out and drop a drag line to see how many knots they're going.

I could swear that's the same guy that was in a mail order cd commercial about 15 yrs ago- "Is that Feedom Rock?! Turn'it up, dude!!!"

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #126 of 1464 Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. This guy is supposed to be an experienced seaman? Where did he learn how to sail... with Columbus? I almost half expected him to go out and drop a drag line to see how many knots they're going.

I could swear that's the same guy that was in a mail order cd commercial about 15 yrs ago- "Is that Feedom Rock?! Turn'it up, dude!!!"

He missed the turn to get out of the ice. How many times is this guy going to mis-navigate the ship? He screws up, every time he's at the helm. Not to mention his dissing of Ice Charts and the Check List for the proper launching of the Zodiacs. It's becoming comical at how he covers up his own failings and inabilities by putting down modern technology and proper navel procedures.

post #127 of 1464 Old 06-21-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

He missed the turn to get out of the ice. How many times is this guy going to mis-navigate the ship? He screws up, every time he's at the helm. Not to mention his dissing of Ice Charts and the Check List for the proper launching of the Zodiacs. It's becoming comical at how he covers up his own failings and inabilities by putting down modern technology and proper navel procedures.

I really didn't understand how they screwed up missing the turn. Seriously, all the pilot had to do is copy down the GPS coordinates of where the glaciers where. Once the "Steve Irwin" was anywhere near those coordinates, it wouldn't be that hard.

And they complained that it was night-time, they couldn't really see. I'm sorry NVGs don't cost that much. Kill all external lights, and use the goggles.

EDIT: It's sad because I believe in the cause (of saving whales), but every time I watched this show, I'm actually rooting for the Japanese to get away, or do something back to them. I guess it's the whole, "If you're that stupid and incompetent, you deserve to fail" mentality that I have.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #128 of 1464 Old 06-21-2009, 01:12 PM

I missed the last episode, and it hasn't been posted on animal planet's website yet. Sounds like it was a fun one. I hope they get it up soon; usually it is up by now.
post #129 of 1464 Old 06-21-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I think the trick with the ice chart and making the correct turn is that by time they reach this critical turn, the positions/formation of the chart data is already well over 24 hrs old. By then things shift around, openings may become less defined or gone altogether. Possibly new openings may have formed, as well.

Maybe the escape route was there, maybe not. I don't really know. I won't discount that it would be a precarious task to identify and navigate such a dated path in the dark of night. If it wasn't defined enough to acquire it visually at the predicted coordinates, that would still be quite an executive decision to turn right into the ice at the predicted spot on the hunch that a path should be there or may become more apparent once you drill in further. I'm not sure what decision I would make in those shoes.

Question is- for such a critical point in this operation, why didn't that ice chart guy make sure he was on the bridge at that time to help reassess the conditions? If he was asleep in his bunk, why didn't that old guy send to wake him once they reached that spot? I think they are both guilty of not doing all they could to exploit this opportunity.

I'm not sure we are presented in the show with clear enough information to say either way if the turn should have been taken. I think all of that drama was more about directing attention on that old guy as being a real luddite (whether he was truly right or wrong).

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #130 of 1464 Old 06-21-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Im glad they missed the turn, greater chance of watching them sink now.
post #131 of 1464 Old 06-21-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

I missed the last episode, and it hasn't been posted on animal planet's website yet. Sounds like it was a fun one. I hope they get it up soon; usually it is up by now.

It repeats again on Sundays at 10:00pm!
post #132 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

Im glad they missed the turn, greater chance of watching them sink now.

Well, although I think they're all a bunch of nut balls... I don't really want to see any of them hurt.

post #133 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the trick with the ice chart and making the correct turn is that by time they reach this critical turn, the positions/formation of the chart data is already well over 24 hrs old. By then things shift around...

That's one case where 1st Mate Peter Brown is actually right. As he said, the ice maps never match what they can see since the data is at least 24 hours old and the ice is moving.
post #134 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-TV View Post

Did anyone see last nights episode (yet)? Anyone believe that there was really a missing person from that Japanese ship Keishan (spelling guess) Maru?

And what shocked me was that Watson seemed to be going to help them find the missing person('s body).
post #135 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

And what shocked me was that Watson seemed to be going to help them find the missing person('s body).

It's a sailors code to help them out, no matter what the consequences.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #136 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

It's a sailors code to help them out, no matter what the consequences.

Yes, I realize that, but I wondered if they drew a line somewhere. I suspect some of them feel "he kills whales, screw him". In fact, didn't one of the American crew members allude to that (middle-aged guy, light-colored or maybe graying hair, cut short ... maybe his name was "Joe") ?
post #137 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I realize that, but I wondered if they drew a line somewhere. I suspect some of them feel "he kills whales, screw him". In fact, didn't one of the American crew members allude to that (middle-aged guy, light-colored or maybe graying hair, cut short ... maybe his name was "Joe") ?

Yes, I thought I heard the same thing. In my book, send in the SEALS and take em out. The captain alone would be strung up in the Navy I belonged to for endangering his crew with his idiotic stunts. If the Sea Shepard would have attacked my last ship the way they did the Japanese, they would have had a couple of 50 cals up their collective rear ends and probably treading water if they survived our response.

Now if we were at war with a real hostile force, sacrifices will have to be made, but this is silly. We are talking about a bunch of fisherman running under questionable but still legal circumstances being terrorized by a bunch of very dangerous thugs driving a weapon on the high seas. I say take em out.

Just my .02

Mike
post #138 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the Sea Shepherds would lose much of their support really quick if they put forth that kind of attitude officially or in practice. Even when they're throwing their stink bombs, etc., the are told don't hit any people, and to throw them away from any crew members. Right now, they're fighting a noble cause without deliberately hurting anyone. Which is one of the reasons I can still sympathize with them.

post #139 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

Yes, I thought I heard the same thing. In my book, send in the SEALS and take em out. The captain alone would be strung up in the Navy I belonged to for endangering his crew with his idiotic stunts. If the Sea Shepard would have attacked my last ship the way they did the Japanese, they would have had a couple of 50 cals up their collective rear ends and probably treading water if they survived our response.

Now if we were at war with a real hostile force, sacrifices will have to be made, but this is silly. We are talking about a bunch of fisherman running under questionable but still legal circumstances being terrorized by a bunch of very dangerous thugs driving a weapon on the high seas. I say take em out.

Just my .02

Mike

They may be crazy but they are not dumb enough to pull these stunts on a navy ship. Besides, they are not the ones killing the whales, the fisherman are, hence the whole concept of the show!
post #140 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Something has gone drastically wrong with our international maritime laws when the Japanese vessels don't feel free to attack and sink the Steve Irwin for the actions it took in the last show. They should be able to do so with no ramifications.
post #141 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Something has gone drastically wrong with our international maritime laws when the Japanese vessels don't feel free to attack and sink the Steve Irwin for the actions it took in the last show. They should be able to do so with no ramifications.

What set of laws governs the open ocean? Are there any laws, or is it every man for himself. Does it depend on what flag the ship sails under?
post #142 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not to me. I thought it was clear he was going to attack them. The low life Scum.
post #143 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

I think the Sea Shepards would lose much of their support really quick if they put forth that kind of attitude officially or in practice. Even when they're throwing their stink bombs, etc., the are told don't hit any people, and to throw them away from any crew members. Right now, they're fighting a noble cause without deliberately hurting anyone. Which is one of the reasons I can still sympathize with them.

What happens when their little bottles of acid cause someone to fall off a ship and die?
post #144 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep in mind just because they are being harassed, doesn't mean anyone should advocate them using deadly force (unless I missed that you are all joking).

Just like I can't pull out my pistol and shoot the person in head who cut me off and almost ran me off the road and killed me. It simply doesn't work that way, although, I know it makes you feel like a big, tough guy by saying it.

If they damage the Japanese ship or hurt a crew members, I'd suggest taking the appropriate legal action (although I honestly don't know how it works for maritime incidents) and try to use the incident to shut them down. By advocating the ships start firing at the Sea Shepherds or sink them, you become just as bad as them by dropping down to their level.

You know "that look" women get when they want sex? Me neither. - Steve Martin
post #145 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack View Post

Keep in mind just because they are being harassed, doesn't mean anyone should advocate them using deadly force (unless I missed that you are all joking).

Just like I can't pull out my pistol and shoot the person in head who cut me off and almost ran me off the road and killed me. It simply doesn't work that way, although, I know it makes you feel like a big, tough guy by saying it.

If they damage the Japanese ship or hurt a crew members, I'd suggest taking the appropriate legal action (although I honestly don't know how it works for maritime incidents) and try to use the incident to shut them down. By advocating the ships start firing at the Sea Shepherds or sink them, you become just as bad as them by dropping down to their level.

I doubt there is any legal authority to convict people of crimes in the middle of the ocean. What country has jurisdiction?

The USA Navy has a policy if an unauthorized ship gets too close they will shoot first and ask questions later. We learned that from what happened to the USS Cole. Why can't a private ship react the same way?
post #146 of 1464 Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post

I doubt there is any legal authority to convict people of crimes in the middle of the ocean. What country has jurisdiction?

The USA Navy has a policy if an unauthorized ship gets too close they will shoot first and ask questions later. We learned that from what happened to the USS Cole. Why can't a private ship react the same way?

Presumably the country who's ship the incident occurred on or whatever country controls the water the incident occurred on. However, like I said, I know next to nothing about maritime law.

Armies/Navies/Etc can take offensive and defensive actions, that's their entire purpose of their existence. Private citizens aren't given that power, unless it's in direct defense of their life. IE, the Sea Shepherds get AK's and aim them at the Japanese ships, etc.

Like, I said, it's the same if someone almost rams my car and kills me. I still can't pull out my handgun and shoot them in the head. It's doesn't work like that, regardless of whether we are talking about a car, ship or whatever.

You know "that look" women get when they want sex? Me neither. - Steve Martin
post #147 of 1464 Old 06-23-2009, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

What happens when their little bottles of acid cause someone to fall off a ship and die?

Like I indicated, in that case the Sea Shepards are going to suffer a major PR disaster. Of course, the Japanese are fighting a PR war as well.

post #148 of 1464 Old 06-23-2009, 04:16 AM

I just started watching this show. I hold a OUPV license (the smallest of Captain's licenses you can get) and am just floored at the Captain's total disregard for the lives on his vessel and others. His excuse that a vacuum pulled the 2 ships together is bull. He got too close and when he tried to turn away, his stern swung into the other ship (ships general pivot near the center). The Steve Irwin is not rated for ice yet he lets himself get stuck in an ice pack.

Can you image the lawsuit if/when he hurts/kills someone?

I believe in the cause but I don't believe we put animal's live in front of our own.

There are international maritime laws and admiralty laws would come into play.
post #149 of 1464 Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Baloney.

I wouldn't trust my life and the lives of my crew to the skill and unknown intentions of the "captain" of the Steve Irwin.

Ramming a ship is an act of aggression. You don't wait until you are sinking to decide that you should have done whatever possible to neutralize the threat.

You'd have to be absolutely clueless to suggest that you should wait until you are hurt, or killed, and only then should you (or your widow) take legal action.

Quote:

If he runs your family's car off the road on the edge of a cliff, then puts his bumper against the side of your car and revs the engine in neutral. You absolutely can pull out your gun and shoot him in the head. It doesn't make you big and tough, it means you have the most basic grasp of common sense.

If someone doesn't take that action, they are single and childless - or should be.
post #150 of 1464 Old 06-23-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iresq View Post

Can you image the lawsuit if/when he hurts/kills someone?

I'm sure that the "volunteers" on the Steve Irwin sign a waiver, though I don't know if it's truly binding, that is, "signing your life away".
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page