'Whale Wars' on Animal Planet HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Because Americans consider them eco-terrorists, the Japanese public does too ? Not sure about that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The Japanese aren't eating whale meat, its obvious those ships are doing research, it says so right on the ship. With that said the people on the ship are nothing but morons who just may end up one day getting one of them killed. They do NOT have any skill or training that makes them affective at what they are trying to do.

Peter Brown the 1st mate, oh yeah that guy is a total tool, I didn't see anyone that's not happy hes leaving. I hope those noise things just mess people up on that ship, but I have a feeling its like most of this show, a lot of hype and drama with little results. I love watching it though just to watch the 3 stooges like antics of a bunch of Eco-morons. The ONLY thing I think will stop the whaling is if all the ways were killed, other then that they wont ever succeed.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
Old 06-30-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That 1st mate, I imagine if there was a clandestine saboteur aboard, it would be him...not because he wants to foil the whale saving mission. It's just the compulsiveness of it all, like the scorpion sitting on the frog's back. Now that he is leaving, if the most simple of things now run smoothly, when the team has to "roll", that will seal my suspicions.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

Because Americans consider them eco-terrorists, the Japanese public does too ? Not sure about that...

The Japanese girl on the Irwin has her face hidden because she said in Japan they are considered terrorists. She said her family in Japan disowned her because she joined the Steve Irwin crew.

They should find a different name for the boat than Steve Irwin. That was a good guy, and these guys are nothing like him. I doubt Steve Irwin ever threw acid on anyone.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

The Japanese aren't eating whale meat, its obvious those ships are doing research, it says so right on the ship.

Maybe they are doing research.

Some people believe that shark fins can stop or slow some cancers. In China it is popular. In some nations they banned it. Just because its not used as research in one nation does not mean another nation has alternative uses.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post

Some people believe that shark fins can stop or slow some cancers. In China it is popular. In some nations they banned it. Just because its not used as research in one nation does not mean another nation has alternative uses.

Nah, even though I'm sure they do some scientific research, the term "research" is just legalese for "internationally sanctioned whaling." It is basically a loophole in the anti-whaling treaty.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post

The only research they are doing is new recipes for the meat.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

Nah, even though I'm sure they do some scientific research, the term "research" is just legalese for "internationally sanctioned whaling." It is basically a loophole in the anti-whaling treaty.

I Agree, you don't have to kill that many whales in the name of science. There has to be another agenda and we all know what that is.

With that said, I don't know how many of you have ever gone on a whale watching cruise but they really are a magnificant species.

If any of you are ever up this way this summer, I recommend you catch one of them that goes out of Gloucester Harbor. About 25-30 miles off it's coast is one of the prime whale watching areas in the world. I went for the first time last year and found it to be a breath taking experience as these mamoth creatures come up right along the side the boat. Although I don't agree with the tactics used by the Sea Shepard crew, I do have sympathy for the whales and believe this planet would be at a great loss without them.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

I Agree, you don't have to kill that many whales in the name of science. There has to be another agenda and we all know what that is.

With that said, I don't know how many of you have ever gone on a whale watching cruise but they really are a magnificant species.

If any of you are ever up this way this summer, I recommend you catch one of them that goes out of Gloucester Harbor. About 25-30 miles off it's coast is one of the prime whale watching areas in the world. I went for the first time last year and found it to be a breath taking experience as these mamoth creatures come up right along the side the boat. Although I don't agree with the tactics used by the Sea Shepard crew, I do have sympathy for the whales and believe this planet would be at a great loss without them.

Yeah, I agree. I seem to remember reading that no one whaled the minsk whales until the other species became endangered. It seems to me that without strict control we'll just fish and whale until the oceans are barren. It is the old public goods problem. So all things being equal I'd just as soon outlaw whaling for the time being.

That being said, I can't agree with the Sea Sheppards. I think they set back the environmental movement for years.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yeah, I agree. I seem to remember reading that no one whaled the minsk whales until the other species became endangered. It seems to me that without strict control we'll just fish and whale until the oceans are barren. It is the old public goods problem. So all things being equal I'd just as soon outlaw whaling for the time being.

Man has little control over his baser impulses, especially where the "right to earn a living" is concerned; that's why there are governments, regulations, and treaties. Unfortunately, the oceans have always been viewed as providing unlimited, inextinguishable bounty. No more.

The giant bluefin tuna, for example, that used to cruise the Atlantic by the millions have been fished almost to extinction - again, primarily to fuel the insatiable appetites of Japanese consumers. Fisherman lie in wait by the choke point at the Straits of Gibraltar to literally "shoot fish in a barrel" as these huge animals go to their breeding grounds in the Mediterranean. Hundreds of millions of sharks are killed every year, many just for their dorsal fins - the mutilated corpses are thrown back. It's just greed, pure and simple, and the eventual result is mass extinction of numerous species, upsetting the delicate apple cart of ecological balance, which causes other species to crash, and so on. Few people seem to care as long as they can continue to buy frozen fish sticks. Good thing the massive American appitite has never had a sample of whale meet, eh? They'd all be extinct by now. Hey, I'm guilty too - I've probably eaten a whole tuna's worth of sushi in my lifetime. I love the stuff. Dolphins are relatively safe because most people see them as "dogs that live in the sea" (which they really are, actually), and Michael Vick's recent experience shows how much we love our dogs.

It's unfortunate that the misguided tactics of these people will have the effect of causing sympathy with the whalers, where the problem actually lies. We see it right here in this thread. Something tells me that wasn't the intention of the producers when they conceived this series.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipdrive View Post

Something tells me that wasn't the intention of the producers when they conceived this series.

I don't believe it was either, but as the old saying goes, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. The sad thing is, is that these "feeling and caring" people never think their actions through to the end. That is the problem when one runs on raw emotion.

Mike
Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I think the producers got what they were hoping for. If not, they certainly could provide a more favorable edit. The Sea Shepherd, OTOH, is likely not getting the image they thought they'd get.

Then again, they signed for a second season - and no publicity is bad publicity when you are just looking for a handful of donors to keep your organization afloat.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:

When I worked at Hardees, my manager told us we weren't allowed to eat any of the waste (over 20 minutes under the heat lamp). She said, "If you're allowed to eat waste there will be more waste to eat."

That bit of wisdom has stuck with me for 25 years and applies to so many different situations - including this one.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

When I worked at Hardees, my manager told us we weren't allowed to eat any of the waste (over 20 minutes under the heat lamp). She said, "If you're allowed to eat waste there will be more waste to eat."

That bit of wisdom has stuck with me for 25 years and applies to so many different situations - including this one.

And 'not wasting' the excess during these 'science experiments' are how the Japanese justify it. But I think we all know that this is really more about the whale meat, than it is about scientific study.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
It's a shame that this captain comes off as a reckless doooosh, someone who seems to take young impressionable kids, & puts them in harms way, since really deep down, they're on the right side of this issue ...

Imagine if it were Captn. Sig Hansen doing this, in a SAFE ice-rated boat, with a responsible crew, with his brother Edgar, & Phil Harris' sons, tossing those stink bombs @ the dirt-bag Japanese whalers .. That would be entertaining!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

And 'not wasting' the excess during these 'science experiments' are how the Japanese justify it. But I think we all know that this is really more about the whale meat, than it is about scientific study.

Yep - that's the point. If they weren't allowed to sell/eat the waste, you'd see the interest in "research" dry up pretty quickly.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

It's a shame that this captain comes off as a reckless doooosh, someone who seems to take young impressionable kids, & puts them in harms way, since really deep down, they're on the right side of this issue ...

Imagine if it were Captn. Sig Hansen doing this, in a SAFE ice-rated boat, with a responsible crew, with his brother Edgar, & Phil Harris' sons, tossing those stink bombs @ the dirt-bag Japanese whalers .. That would be entertaining!

Well it would be better, but still piracy and assault. No matter who the captain and crew are they are still vigilantes or pirates. I agree that Watson is a total coward/scum bag.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Not that it would make anything better on the ship, but it sure does seem like Watson spends alot of time in his quarters on the computer then he does in the wheel house. Maybe its just editing, I dunno, I see the stooges doing more work then he does. Do you folks consider saving 500 whales a success, or does even one whale dying mean they are failing, I feel they are failing.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:

Not that it would make anything better on the ship, but it sure does seem like Watson spends alot of time in his quarters on the computer then he does in the wheel house. Maybe its just editing, I dunno, I see the stooges doing more work then he does. Do you folks consider saving 500 whales a success, or does even one whale dying mean they are failing, I feel they are failing.

I'd say they could claim "success" in any year in which they prevent the Japanese fleet from meeting their annual quota.

But that's just PR success. All that would do is raise the price of whale meat for that year.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I'd say they could claim "success" in any year in which they prevent the Japanese fleet from meeting their annual quota.

But that's just PR success. All that would do is raise the price of whale meat for that year.

I don't think that is even a success. The Japanese set their own quota. I bet they set it higher than what they really intend to catch for PR purposes. That way they can say look we only caught half our quota because that is all we needed for the research. It also allows them some wiggle room to catch more if some of their whales ever do get tainted by Sea Sheppard antics.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been curious on how they get their information, who tells them how many whales were killed each season.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:46 PM

Here are a couple of funny clips on whaling from an Australian comedy group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vf9TgvFqQw

This second one is missing the intro, in which they said that since Japan whales, they thought they see what the Japan would think of eating animals that are special to them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0axOCcfRho
Old 07-02-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

I would highly enjoy that....Sig is the man.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

The only research they are doing is new recipes for the meat.

fine with me.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not much happened this last episode. The white powder evidently was nothing. They had another ship-wide power failure. And they discovered that the Janpanese have a new counter measure which uses 'sound'. At the end, it was unusual that the Japanese were taking a more aggresive stance against the Sea Shepherds.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:43 AM

That quote by the first mate (played endlessly on the promos) that "The Japanese are stepping up their violence on us" is just too funny. Does he mean that throwing acid at a ship full of people ISN'T a violent act?

Do the producers really think they are doing the "save the whales" movement a favor by showing this? It's the equivalent of MADD mounting an anti-drinking campaign by showing a college frat/spring break party and hoping that the kids "get the message"

And they didn't even show the Japanese using the sound device on the Sea Shepherd crew. THAT would have been worth watching.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMUBill View Post

Do the producers really think they are doing the "save the whales" movement a favor by showing this?

I think the only thing the producers of this show care about, is creating an interesting enough show to get ratings. In fact, I would bet that the show's producers would love to be able to cameras on board the Japanese ships as well.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMUBill View Post

And they didn't even show the Japanese using the sound device on the Sea Shepherd crew. THAT would have been worth watching.

If we don't get some good LRAD shots against the Sea Shepherd crew next week, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Can't imagine the Japanese crew isn't itching to try out their new toy. (Although it looks like they get pretty effective with their water cannons next week. )
Old 07-11-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

I think the only thing the producers of this show care about, is creating an interesting enough show to get ratings. In fact, I would bet that the show's producers would love to be able to cameras on board the Japanese ships as well.

They need only make an offer, I suspect. It's only money. The Japanese are good businessmen, as American industry discovered long ago. And no doubt they would love to present "their side" of the issue to an American audience as well.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night was a total letdown. It was nothing but edited previews that made us watch. The show was boring. The Dutch telling them they cant throw stuff from the main ship, Hahahahahaha, those little ships are just junk being out there in those rough seas. Every show they say whaling ends today, gimme a break if they sunk the main ship the Japanese would just send another or build one whatever. The powder, what another joke, soon as they see white stuff they start saying Anthrax, WTF, yeah man I was 1 billion % sure it was NOT going to be Anthrax. These people are complete idiots and prove so more and more each week.