'Whale Wars' on Animal Planet HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1464 Old 11-23-2008, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Whale Wars - Animal Planet HD on Friday nights. Anyone here watching this show? It's in the vein of 'Deadliest Catch', 'Ice Road Truckers', etc. It follows this crew of people (who call themselves 'The Sea Sheapards') led by the founder of Greenpeace, who on board a ship (The Steve Irwin) try to stop Japanese Whaling in the South Austrailian/Antartic Seas.

I've watched about 3 episodes. These guys are completely nuts, and they are wrecklessly dangerous! But no matter what side of this issue you may come down on, it's a very intertaining show, and there are some great HD moments in the Antartic. I will be completely surprised if no one ends up dead or seriously injured by the end of the shows season.

- Rutgar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1464 Old 11-23-2008, 07:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Saw one episode last week and it looks interesting. I have it set up on the DVR now.
post #3 of 1464 Old 11-23-2008, 07:55 AM

Liked: 10
A bunch of terrorist hippies, and whale meat tastes good.

I feel sorry for the crew, the captain is d-bag, and doesn't seem to care for there safety.
post #4 of 1464 Old 11-23-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I was going to watch the show but with it being on Animal Planet I just assumed it would just be upconverted SD or some other non HD crap they try to pass off.

How does it look?
post #5 of 1464 Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

I was going to watch the show but with it being on Animal Planet I just assumed it would just be upconverted SD or some other non HD crap they try to pass off.

How does it look?

It looks good, it is HD like most of Discovery Communications new shows.
post #6 of 1464 Old 11-23-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

It looks good, it is HD like most of Discovery Communications new shows.

thanks, I'll give it shot.
post #7 of 1464 Old 11-23-2008, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
This show is strangely captivating to me. It's a strange twist because it is even-handed enough so that it isn't clear who you should be rooting for- certainly not the "evil" Jpn fishers, but then the eco-terrorist hippies don't really gain any sympathy the way they manipulate and exploit a pr scenario as it suits them. The only clear entity is the whales, who you wish to escape any harm out of all of this commotion.

To make things entertaining, you got this crew of essentially sea-newbies that really shouldn't be anywhere near a ship, let alone combing the nasty seas that makes Deadliest Catch such a thriller. You see them get themselves into all of these perilous situations, not because they are pushing any sort of envelope, but because they are sloppy and utterly clueless about what is safe and what is stupid. The first time they launched a boat and got it capsized, I was more laughing and thinking, "You buncha dumba$$es!" The "Full-shares" from Deadliest Catch would be laughing them off the deck, if these hippies were on their boat, by now!

Then you got the captain who is an ex-communicated Greenpeace founder and seemingly rogue radicalist for his cause on a ship that brings the name "Steve Erwin" into it... It's all just a strange cocktail of ingredients.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #8 of 1464 Old 11-24-2008, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

Then you got the captain who is an ex-communicated Greenpeace founder and seemingly rogue radicalist for his cause on a ship that brings the name "Steve Erwin" into it... It's all just a strange cocktail of ingredients.

I found it odd that the Irwin estate would lend their name to such a radical endevour. Yes, Steve Irwin was a conservationalist. But he always worked within the system, and not at the edge of it.

Parts of this show are very funny. I also was laughing my a$$ off when they capsized the zodiac and thinking, "What a bunch of idiots!" And although I don't really condone any of their methods, I really don't wish to see any of these people hurt or killed. But like I said in my original post, I will be very surprised if that doesn't happen. When they took off after the whaling ship at dusk, and the ship lost them, I thought that probably the worst happened to them. But when they eventually returned, all I could think of was that old saying, "Fortune Favors the Foolish."

- Rutgar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 1464 Old 11-24-2008, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Sounds like a pretty interesting show, and this thread has caused me to wanna check it out. All 4 episodes air Friday night (3 repeats + the premiere of Episode 4) in succession for anyone that is interested in catching up from the start. My DVR is set
post #10 of 1464 Old 11-24-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

I found it odd that the Irwin estate would lend their name to such a radical endevour. Yes, Steve Irwin was a conservationalist. But he always worked within the system, and not at the edge of it.

Yes, it is very strange. To add to that, Mrs. Erwin even makes a cameo appearance in the 1st episode in a voyage christening ceremony. Something inside me just felt sorry for the family, as I wondered if that sort of scene was really her place.

post #11 of 1464 Old 11-28-2008, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just wanted to bump this to remind those who are interested that Animal Planet will be repeating the first 3 episodes and air 1 new one tonight.

- Rutgar

post #12 of 1464 Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Yes, it is very strange. To add to that, Mrs. Erwin even makes a cameo appearance in the 1st episode in a voyage christening ceremony. Something inside me just felt sorry for the family, as I wondered if that sort of scene was really her place.

The Crocodile Hunter did some episodes in Antarctica, and did some specials on whales.
post #13 of 1464 Old 11-28-2008, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

No doubt whales would fall into their usual animal preservation interests. My comment was more questioning such close association with a radical eco-awareness group such as is depicted in the Whale Wars premise. It just doesn't seem to be their scene, imo.

post #14 of 1464 Old 11-28-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:

No doubt whales would fall into their usual animal preservation interests. My comment was more questioning such close association with a radical eco-awareness group such as is depicted in the Whale Wars premise. It just doesn't seem to be their scene, imo.

They really love whales, you need to watch more of the crocodile hunter.
post #15 of 1464 Old 11-28-2008, 08:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ah me hardies! Tis' whale out there!

The sharks will be gnawing on their bones soon enough in Davy Jones' locker!

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #16 of 1464 Old 11-29-2008, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Oooopsees!...busted crane. Doh! Whale hippees foiled again!

post #17 of 1464 Old 11-29-2008, 03:50 AM

Arrrr! クジラいい味
post #18 of 1464 Old 11-29-2008, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oooopsees!...busted crane. Doh! Whale hippees foiled again!

As I said before, fortune must really favor the foolish. The idea of boarding that surveillance ship was completely stupid. I think I even saw a big sense of relief of some of the crews faces when that crane broke.

Yes, this 'captain' is a real d-bag. He doesn't give a single rats-a$$ about his crews safety.

- Rutgar

post #19 of 1464 Old 11-29-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-I-G-I-T-A-L View Post

They really love whales, you need to watch more of the crocodile hunter.

From the "Steve Irwin Foundation" website, http://www.wildlifewarriors.org.au/w...ion/index.html. I do wonder if they (she) was that familiar with this "Sea Shepard" group though.
post #20 of 1464 Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, this 'captain' is a real d-bag. He doesn't give a single rats-a$$ about his crews safety.

On one of the episodes, he commented something like "they knew what they were getting into when they joined up". I just think he should (illegally) board a ship or be out on the zodiac and cripple a ship's prop, at least a few times.
post #21 of 1464 Old 11-29-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

On one of the episodes, he commented something like "they knew what they were getting into when they joined up". I just think he should (illegally) board a ship or be out on the zodiac and cripple a ship's prop, at least a few times.

He's too fat, let the hippies do it.
post #22 of 1464 Old 11-29-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I get this sense, as well. He is eerily cavalier about crew safety. It's more like he views them as expendable, as it suits the cause. If a fatality does "happen", it's all the better drama for however he chooses to spin the situation to make the "bad guys" that much more evil, imo. It could just be me, but when I look into his eyes, I see the glare of a calculated sociopath. That's just my opinion, of course.

That's a bit unnerving, to actually step onto a ship where your role is distinctly to wear a "redshirt" until your time is up.

post #23 of 1464 Old 11-29-2008, 06:52 PM

Thanks for mentioning the show. I just watched the first 2 episodes. I must say that my sympathy for the whales has dropped seeing the inhumane treatment the captain does to his own crew. Maybe we should be nice to each other first.
post #24 of 1464 Old 11-29-2008, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you mean less sympathy for the anti-whaling effort/cause, no? The whales are just there doing what they do.

post #25 of 1464 Old 11-29-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:

I think you mean less sympathy for the anti-whaling effort/cause, no? The whales are just there doing what they do.

Correct, that's what I meant.
post #26 of 1464 Old 11-30-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post

To be fair, the captian has been doing this for 30 yrs so I'm sure he has plenty of hands on experience. The fact that he used his ship to ram another ship last year shows his commitment to the cause and willingness to risk bodily harm.
post #27 of 1464 Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8796 View Post

To be fair, the captian has been doing this for 30 yrs so I'm sure he has plenty of hands on experience. The fact that he used his ship to ram another ship last year shows his commitment to the cause and willingness to risk bodily harm.

The japanese should fight back, carry some yakuza on board.

post #28 of 1464 Old 11-30-2008, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8796 View Post

The fact that he used his ship to ram another ship last year shows his commitment to the cause and willingness to risk bodily harm.

They mentioned that on an episode I watched yesterday and I have to ask, "what is illegal and what is legal on the high seas?". Did he get in trouble for ramming this ship ?

And just like the boarding of that whaling ship by his (2) crew members that they called a "kidnapping". Give me a break... The Japanese should have claimed those (2) abandoned the Steve Irwin and were helping them.
post #29 of 1464 Old 11-30-2008, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the japanese need a .50 caliber on deck. I cannot support any form of terrorism.
post #30 of 1464 Old 11-30-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post

I think the japanese need a .50 caliber on deck. I cannot support any form of terrorism.

Especially in light of the Piracy that's occuring recently. Of course, I'm sure this show is all in the can and the events were already over well before all of this piracy crap.

- Rutgar

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page