'Seinfeld' in HD for local syndication - *FINALLY* on 1/26/2009 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Zap2it listings for WDAF in Kansas show the Saturday episode of "Seinfeld" is not in HD. They are consistent. Yesterday, next Saturday, and the week after next Saturday are listed as not HD. Other days of the week show HD in the listings for "Seinfeld," although I have not seen an actual HD broadcast yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Zap2it has it listed in HD for WNYW. It was in HD on other stations. Not sure what happened.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Watching the second weekend episode ("The Doodle") in HD right now on KTXL Sacramento:

Old 02-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

"The Understudy" not in HD again on WNYW. I'll assume this is a local issue? I'll try to get in touch with the programming dept. and see what's up.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLaz View Post

I e-mailed WJW, the Chief Engineer of WJW responded on 1/29 with the following:

"We hope to have the equipment in place to transmit Seinfeld in HD sometime next week."

So it looks like if all goes well WJW will be showing Seinfeld in HD very soon.

Wednesday of "next week". Still no Seinfeld in HD. 7 or 11pm.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr281 View Post

"The Understudy" not in HD again on WNYW. I'll assume this is a local issue?

Must be. "The Understudy" is in HD in Sacramento.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 PM

Holy crap, I just turn to My13 to check this out and I did a huge double take, I could not believe that Seinfeld is in HD now.

Awesome shiet!

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical.
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with.
Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Dark Knight Saga - 072012
Old 02-24-2009, 11:09 PM

I'm in LA Ca. channel 13

It's the Marisa Tome episode, too funny!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

Wednesday of "next week". Still no Seinfeld in HD. 7 or 11pm.

It's February 25 and not ONE episode of Seinfeld has been shown in HD yet.

"Next Week", my ass!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Oh man, I hadn't thought about that one. "Claustrophobic" is a good way to describe what I feel when I watch these. "Uncomfortable" would be another. But if this is snug, you should see what it looks like on the SD channel of providers like DirecTV -- in many (most?) areas, they are centercutting the station's DTV feed for that channel, so when "Seinfeld" is on, not only are you losing a lot of image because of the zooming, but both sides are being cut off! I was looking at that tonight -- that's really bad.

For the past few weeks channel 13 here (KCOP) in Los Angeles has been airing cropped versions of episodes on their SD channel. So imagine the already awkwardly cropped 16x9 HD framings cropped again to 4x3. It's hideous.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Haven't been in this thread for a while... but over the weekend noticed local WRAZ was showing Seinfeld in HD. These were 16x9, similar to the way TBS had been showing them in HD.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Still SD in Detroit, WJBK-DT FOX O&O.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 PM

This in HD for me. yah!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEEVIPER View Post

This in HD for me. yah!

That's just great.

Where and from what station; city and call letters?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For some reason Fox 5 in D.C. shows some of the episodes in HD and some in SD. Don't know why that is the case. There does not seem to be any pattern to it also.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

WTXF showed last night's episode "The Chicken Roaster"(one of my favs) in HD. I'm not sure exactly when they started, but I think it has been sometime in the last couple weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing more HD seinfeld somewhere else other than TBSHD!

That makes 5 of the big 6 network affiliates in Philadelphia:
KYW(CBS)
WPVI(ABC)
WTXF(FOX)
WPHL(MNT)
WPSG(CW)

capable of HD syndication with the exception of WCAU(NBC).

That's no surprise, they just got HD news going earlier this year, they are always last with things like this.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 108
WNYW (FOX) NY had been HD at 7:30 but not recently.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It's been in HD for several weeks on KRCW in Portland. They're the only station here that has syndicated shows in HD.

It looks great. The early 90's episodes are fairly grainy while the later seasons look as good as any show on television today. There were lots of focus errors. Apparently whenever a character was in Jerry's kitchen, they'd set the focus on the cereal boxes behind them.

The only times the cropping has looked awkward is when one character is standing behind a sitting character, then you have the top of one character's head and the bottom of the other. 99% of the time it looks as if it had been shot in 16:9. The cropping lets you see every eye roll and facial expression perfectly.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

That's just great.

Where and from what station; city and call letters?

My13, Los Angeles, KCOP.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

WNYW (FOX) NY had been HD at 7:30 but not recently.

Yeah, I don't know what's up. Also, the weekend shows have never been in HD, although many people here have confirmed their affil has broadcast these shows in HD.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Anyone in the Atlanta area spot 'Seinfeld' in HD? Zap2it indicates HD, but it has been SD the couple of times I've caught the show. I'm watching it OTA.
LL

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Are any other networks showing season 9 episodes this week? Here in Philadelphia, WTXF(FOX) has shown only 2 or 3 of the 6 this week in HD. The others were in SD. The HD ones have a couple scenes where there is severe flickering(film like, not compression artifacts or breakup), it looks like a hiccup in the transfer. I am guessing the ones in SD, the HD transfer was so messed up it was unplayable or something.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this in other cities with Season 9 eps(some of my favorite ones!), and if every station's HD copies of season 9 episodes are messed up or just WTXF's? That's another question, for syndication of shows like this, does the station air the show via a connection to Sony somewhere(like a streaming TV show online), or do they have a local copy(akin to playing a video from your hard drive)?

The HD ones look great, but I am not interested in archiving some favorite eps if they are only in SD.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:20 PM

Still in SD in Cincinnati via WXIX even though the D* guide shows it as HD. Grrr...

Loving the few I see on TBS.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Are any other networks showing season 9 episodes this week? Here in Philadelphia, WTXF(FOX) has shown only 2 or 3 of the 6 this week in HD. The others were in SD. The HD ones have a couple scenes where there is severe flickering(film like, not compression artifacts or breakup), it looks like a hiccup in the transfer. I am guessing the ones in SD, the HD transfer was so messed up it was unplayable or something.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this in other cities with Season 9 eps(some of my favorite ones!), and if every station's HD copies of season 9 episodes are messed up or just WTXF's? That's another question, for syndication of shows like this, does the station air the show via a connection to Sony somewhere(like a streaming TV show online), or do they have a local copy(akin to playing a video from your hard drive)?

The HD ones look great, but I am not interested in archiving some favorite eps if they are only in SD.

I think we are, but I am not sure. I will have to check. I know the end of December we were running some season 8's in HD. Sony isn't distributing them in order. Some months you get a week of one season in order, some not in order and then other weeks, you get other seasons totally out of order. There seems to be no rhyme or reason at times which episodes are distributed.

Also remember, the SD version is sent via a file server to stations as video files and the HD version is sent one time daily in real time so if a station misses a HD feed, there is no refeed and the station is forced to take the SD to fill the spot. Weekday HD Seinfeld is fed at 12:30am ET Monday through Friday while the weekend HD Seinfeld are fed at 5:00am ET Friday mornings for weekend play.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just to give you some inside baseball, stations do not have the complete library of Seinfeld or any current syndicated program. Each episode is fed about 2 days ahead of air date. The Seinfeld you see on Monday was fed to the station on Thursday so the station only keeps about 3 or 4 episodes at any one time for a certain broadcast time.

Seinfeld, like many other syndicated programs, will allow what is called "double runs" meaning the show has two airings a day. The first run is normally repeated about 2 to 3 weeks later in the second run time slot. In my own stations case, we air first run Seinfeld at 11pm and the second run at 11:30pm. The same episode that aired at 11pm will rerun again in the second airing about 2 weeks later. The difference between the airings are the national commercials Sony (the distributor) has sold. For that reason, stations do not hold on to the episodes beyond the air date. The next airing (two weeks later) will have different national commercials/sponsors. So stations are constantly ingesting the latest feeds of syndicated programs so the correct national commercials are played. If a station doesn't, they lose the rights to broadcast that show. Those national commercials pay most of the distribution freight for these shows.

Stations for years have been getting syndicated programming via file delivery services instead of real time sat feds as in the old days. The best known was Pathfire (they were recently bought out and the name has changed to something else, but everyone still calls it Pathfire). A station has a terminal and a server and the programs just magically appear on the server several days ahead of airing to be taped or ingested into a stations playback server. When HD came along, the download servers were too small to handle the size of HD programs (an average Seinfeld HD 30 minute show in professional HD format is about 12G) so distributors have gone back to real time feds for the HD distribution until the servers are upgraded to handle the larger files. Server companies have now just started to install HD servers. We just got one from a company called Pitch Blue that not only will distribute HD commercials but HD programming as well. Any HD programming is suppose to start sometime this spring is what we have been told. I am not sure if the commercials have started to be honest but the hardware is sitting there running. Waiting.

Right now, the 5 syndicated HD programs we take, we get them off sat feeds since the HD versions are not available via download servers yet.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

foxeng, thanks for the inside info. I was wondering why our local Fox station had a couple of Seinfeld eps in HD, but then returned to SD. Now I know.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayest View Post

foxeng, thanks for the inside info. I was wondering why our local Fox station had a couple of Seinfeld eps in HD, but then returned to SD. Now I know.

The GM of KDVR I worked with when he was the General Sales Manager here at my station. I know him real well. When we went stereo in the 90's, the joke was when was he going to bring in enough money so we could go SAP! Ah, the good old days!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
My local station pulled Seinfeld from their 10:00 PM lineup
For years I have watched Seinfeld at 10:00. I guess I'll have to change now.. ha
Old 09-20-2010, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

My local station pulled Seinfeld from their 10:00 PM lineup
For years I have watched Seinfeld at 10:00. I guess I'll have to change now.. ha

That's a shame.