'American Idol' - Season 8 on FOX HD - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1887 Old 01-22-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Nice blouse Paula. Maybe you should just show up naked next time.

[ed: Sorry, I had to get the hypocracy of Paula wearing that blouse while complaining about bikini girl off my chest. BTW, that goes for Kara's SF auditions blouse too. Where did you get that thing Kara? Because it looked like you lifted it off a Castro Street crack ho.]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1887 Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
But Joanna's hot. Can't America make an exception for hotness?
post #93 of 1887 Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

There have been articles recently on MSN and Yahoo about "how to make the show better." At least one of them said "Stick to trying to find truly undiscovered talent." That's what the majority of the people want, which is why "America" rejected Carly.

America sure took its time rejecting her because she made it to the top 6. There were no protests against her being on the American Idols Live tour during the summer.

My opinion is don't reject an artist because a bunch of record industry morons didn't know what to do with them. If the music business were doing its job of finding and promoting talent, American Idol wouldn't even exist.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #94 of 1887 Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With regards to Joanna Pacitti and her prior experience: I had not personally heard of her before last night, and I bet not a lot of others have (as was the case with Carly last year), so she is for all practical purposes undiscovered and therefore deserving of a chance on AI. I quote a part of the show FAQ from the AI site, answering a question about contestants’ prior experience (I boldfaced a very important word):

Quote:

In order to be eligible, the contestants are not permitted to have any CURRENT recording or talent management agreements.

So, even if Joanna did not entirely follow the spirit of the rules (or at least I will take your word for it), she is still following the letter. Let’s let her performances down the road speak for themselves before we rush to crucify her.

Scott

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...
Hot Off the Press / Philips and Magnavox DVD Recorders

post #95 of 1887 Old 01-22-2009, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pics from Tuesday’s S.F. show:

Tatiana Del Toro (in her party dress):
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/36515/

Jesus Valenzuela:
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/36531/

Annie Murdoch (though she did not get through, I think she could make it as a model):
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/36508/

John Twiford (I thought he deserved more than just 5 seconds of air time):
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/36538/

Allison Iraheta (see above):
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/36523/

Raquel Houghton (spot-on rendition of “Son of a Preacher Man;” also appeared for just a few ticks):
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/36509/

Adam Lambert:
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/36518/

Kai Kalama:
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/36510/

Scott

post #96 of 1887 Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Simon gave me my pick-up line for the weekend. I'll walk up to hotties and tell them, "You know, you have a very commercial face." I bet they're gonna love hearing that.

post #97 of 1887 Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Some pretty good singers. The second contestant tonight was so beautiful however I hate how these people that had a recording contract are allowed on the show. One, they already "made it" in the business. Second, they failed for whatever reason. They really shouldn't be allowed on the show.

amen! l Last season was a sham due to the two deal girls making the final 12....

Only one singer has come close to `great' IMHO and that is the one from last week who appeared with her husband and 3 kids. Yes there have been several `good' singers but few who are even close to `jawdropping singers'.
post #98 of 1887 Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Joanna's certainly not violating the rules, but the uproar over her and Carly shows that there is a vocal group of people (like myself) who think the fun of AI is in finding someone who truly is undiscovered.

New article today on yahoo:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/rea...arly-smithson/

I don't even know if I am suggesting that there should be a rule that if you were signed to a major label once that you should automatically be excluded, but Joanna has been on major movie soundtracks. Joanna had one of her songs covered by Britney Spears. She really doesn't need AI, and the viewership of AI wants unknowns, not has-beens trying for another run-around, even if (hypothetically) they were screwed over by a record company.
post #99 of 1887 Old 01-23-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Joanna's certainly not violating the rules, but the uproar over her and Carly shows that there is a vocal group of people (like myself) who think the fun of AI is in finding someone who truly is undiscovered.

New article today on yahoo:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/rea...arly-smithson/

I don't even know if I am suggesting that there should be a rule that if you were signed to a major label once that you should automatically be excluded, but Joanna has been on major movie soundtracks. Joanna had one of her songs covered by Britney Spears. She really doesn't need AI, and the viewership of AI wants unknowns, not has-beens trying for another run-around, even if (hypothetically) they were screwed over by a record company.

Ain't that the truth. I smelled "plant" when I saw her audition. She was too professional, too polished and just so full of fake, "I hope I'm okay!" just like Carly did last year. This one is prettier than Carly, but less slightly less talented vocally. My fiance said they should've just brought out the pot and soil for this plant, as it was so obvious. Jeez!

I saw another plant in Louisville, but I forgot her (or was it his) name.
post #100 of 1887 Old 01-23-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

American Idol is the only talent show that people complain about when it has contestants that are too talented to be on it.

post #101 of 1887 Old 01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think talent has much to do with it. There's a reason she hasn't made it and had to resort to being on a reality show.
post #102 of 1887 Old 01-23-2009, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pics from Wednesday’s Louisville show:

Joanna Pacitti:
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/37554/

Felicia Barton (terrific take on Corinne Bailey Rae):
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/37579/

Alexis Grace:
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s..._gallery/37541

Leneshe Young:
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/37551/

Brent Smith:
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/37565/

Matt Giraud:
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/37567/

Aaron Williamson:
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/37570/

Shera Lawrence (appeared for a few ticks singing “I’ve Got the World on a String”):
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/37583/

Ryan Johnson (sang Sam Cooke):
http://www.americanidol.com/photos/s...gallery/37536/

Felicia Barton extra! I have learned that Felicia sings Christian praise and worship music at Freedom Fellowship in Virginia Beach, VA; their MySpace page, which plays their music in the background that showcases more of her wonderful vocal talent, is here:

http://www.myspace.com/freedomworship

Scott

post #103 of 1887 Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

If you're into comedy and have watched Last Comic Standing on NBC, you may have noticed there are few novices among the contestants. Many of them are actually lesser-known pros, looking to go big or veterans trying to be rediscovered. I happen to like comedy, so it matters not if they're rookies or pros.

BTW, Belinda Doolittle from a few years back, was already a seasoned professional when she auditioned for AI.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #104 of 1887 Old 01-24-2009, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
IIRC, Melinda Doolittle had a career as a backup singer. I don't think that she had been signed by a record label. I think that having had a recording contract should be a disqualifier.
post #105 of 1887 Old 01-25-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post

Ain't that the truth. I smelled "plant" when I saw her audition. She was too professional, too polished and just so full of fake, "I hope I'm okay!" just like Carly did last year. This one is prettier than Carly, but less slightly less talented vocally. My fiance said they should've just brought out the pot and soil for this plant, as it was so obvious. Jeez!

I saw another plant in Louisville, but I forgot her (or was it his) name.

It was a "he." Someone from Season 2 of Nashville Star. In some ways, that's worse because he was already in a reality singing competition. Kind of like how AI 1 finalist Nikki Mckibbin was on WB's "Popstar" singing reality competition show.

There should be a rule against that at the very least. Say what you will about people kicked off labels and all that, but we really shouldn't have people in the top 10 of Nashville Star coming over here because they couldn't win NS, and vice versa.
post #106 of 1887 Old 01-25-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 220
My opinion is they should let anyone try out. Even famous singers... let's see if they can compete. I'd love to see if Diana Krall could go all the way.
post #107 of 1887 Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayest View Post

IIRC, Melinda Doolittle had a career as a backup singer. I don't think that she had been signed by a record label. I think that having had a recording contract should be a disqualifier.

It's interesting how this only came up in this season and last.

The reason is, AI did pretty much avoid letting people in who had previous MAJOR recording contracts, even if the rules did not forbid it. I suspect many of these Carly and Joanna types did try out in early seasons, but the producers nixed them before getting to an audition with the judges.

BUT there have been a couple of seasons where the media/fans complained about weak talent in the finals. The season with Fantasia was one of them, so was the season that had Sanjaya (most recently).

Then all of a sudden we saw Carly and Kristi Lee Cook, and this season Joanna and the guy who was a finalist on Nashville Star Season 2. I don't think this was on accident.

I firmly believe the producers do not trust the judges to make good choices, and thus these days when these people who had been dumped by major record labels show up, they let them audition for the judges [I don't know how many of your realize that thousands of good singers don't even get to audition for the judges because the producers tell them "sorry, but you aren't what we are looking for." I've heard this from just about everyone I personally knew who tried out for AI, except for a girl who tried out and got a golden ticket this year only to not get shown in her Phoenix audition show and to get the boot sometime in Hollywood.] so that there will be no risk when it comes to time to pick a top 32 or whatever of the judges letting through a subpar singer.

And I guess I understand that in some respect, but the producers need to take heed of the press and fans on message boards complaining about "plants," as they did when everyone complained that a certain season's finalists were weak.
post #108 of 1887 Old 01-25-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't think just having a record contract means much for your career. There are a zillion artists out there with contracts that don't sell squat or get any exposure.

This show is about making someone an idol. That's way above just cutting a record and seeing if your usual bar following will buy enough for you to catch on somehow. Most of these contractees don't get much of a publicity push and are stuck relying on making their live following grow. They essentially remain anonymous to most of us. Also, this is about overall exposure. It is hard to become an idol without a exposure to your cute and charming personality. The public has got to think they know you a little. A studio singer just won't get that exposure.

So let all relative nobodies apply, past experience is a plus.

Joe -----

The harder it is to tell the difference, the less difference it makes.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude." -- Thomas Jefferson, translated from Latin

Also translated as "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" 

post #109 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was a "he." Someone from Season 2 of Nashville Star. In some ways, that's worse because he was already in a reality singing competition. Kind of like how AI 1 finalist Nikki Mckibbin was on WB's "Popstar" singing reality competition show.

There should be a rule against that at the very least. Say what you will about people kicked off labels and all that, but we really shouldn't have people in the top 10 of Nashville Star coming over here because they couldn't win NS, and vice versa.

Syesha from last season was previously on "The One".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

My opinion is they should let anyone try out. Even famous singers... let's see if they can compete. I'd love to see if Diana Krall could go all the way.

She wouldn't even make it to Hollywood. The producers want bland pop, sugar rock, tame country and sucky R&B. I love R&B. However, the R&B talent from the show including Ruben has been less than stellar. I will give props to Carrie Underwood on the country front, but she's no Tanya Tucker.

Jill Scott, Diana Krall, Amy Winehouse, Tori Amos, Alicia Keys, Neko Case, etc. would never make it on American (or even the original British) Idol because they are different from most other "stars" out there. They actually have personalities. (Sara Evans and Natasha Bedingfield are two mainstreamers that I could see making it on Idol based on what I've seen go through.)

Ever notice how the judges try to apply a cookie cutter (rocker, pop, R&B, soul, jazz, country, Whitney Houston, etc.) mold to every singer out there? I'm not blaming them for doing it. That's what the music industry does. Honestly, that's part of why the industry is in trouble now.
post #110 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Jill Scott, Diana Krall, Amy Winehouse, Tori Amos, Alicia Keys, Neko Case, etc. would never make it on American (or even the original British) Idol because they are different from most other "stars" out there. They actually have personalities. (Sara Evans and Natasha Bedingfield are two mainstreamers that I could see making it on Idol based on what I've seen go through.)

I like how they opened the season with a song by... Louis Armstrong. Imagine a guy with that voice walking into an AI audition, growling his way through absolute classics like "What a Wonderful World" or "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off"? Randy would be laughing his ass off at this pathetic voice, Simon would watch in disbelief, Paula would look clueless as usual, and Kara would try to think of something nice to say before telling him he should find some other line of work.

post #111 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:

Ever notice how the judges try to apply a cookie cutter (rocker, pop, R&B, soul, jazz, country, Whitney Houston, etc.) mold to every singer out there? I'm not blaming them for doing it. That's what the music industry does. Honestly, that's part of why the industry is in trouble now.

Of course all of those people would have made it to Hollywood. The question is could they have made it through Hollywood week? Could they have sang well in a group? Could they make it through the final solo after going through the grinder for several days. This competition is tough even for great singers.
post #112 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

I like how they opened the season with a song by... Louis Armstrong. Imagine a guy with that voice walking into an AI audition, growling his way through absolute classics like "What a Wonderful World" or "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off"? Randy would be laughing his ass off at this pathetic voice, Simon would watch in disbelief, Paula would look clueless as usual, and Kara would try to think of something nice to say before telling him he should find some other line of work.

But you have to remember that Louis Armstrong's instrument wasn't primarily his voice but his trumpet.

Bobby 

post #113 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

But you have to remember that Louis Armstrong's instrument wasn't primarily his voice but his trumpet.

Then why did he sing on all of his hit records, even when he had far more talented vocalists in his band like Jack Teagarden and Trummy Young?

post #114 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Of course all of those people would have made it to Hollywood. The question is could they have made it through Hollywood week? Could they have sang well in a group? Could they make it through the final solo after going through the grinder for several days. This competition is tough even for great singers.

No way would Tori Amos make it to Hollywood. Honestly, I don't think Alicia Keys would, either. If Alicia made it, it would strictly be on looks. Her voice isn't the type of voice they go for. However, Amanda Overmeyer made it out of Hollywood last year with a gravely voice. So, maybe I am being a bit too cynical. I forgot about Vanessa Carlton (picking on all the pianists right now). She wouldn't make it on Idol, either.
post #115 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 05:07 PM

Amazing how people never seem to tire of these pointless arguments - the producers push who they want, real singers can't make it, professionals shouldn't be allowed, blah blah blah. Just laugh at the bad singers and enjoy the performances of the good ones, don't get caught up in saying the show is supposed to be this or that - just take it as entertainment and move on.

I'm still looking forward to seeing if there's any backlash about Jennifer and Tom Korbee. Their auditions haven't been shown yet, but they at least make it to Hollywood and I think have a good chance at the top 36. The backlash will come from Jennifer's professional history. Though she didn't have a big recording deal like some others, she was one of the stars of the kiddy show Hi-5 (U.S. version) that ran for several years on TLC and is still on Discovery Kids. 3 seasons of shows, 5 years of touring doing concerts, multiple appearances on morning talk shows, multiple CDs and DVDs released from the show. How many other Idol contestants can be found in toy form? She's going to be a whole lot more comfortable with the entire Idol experience than most of the contestants - does that give her an unfair edge?

The thing is that she's actually pretty darn talented and seems to be the kind of person that you'd like to see do well. Both Jennifer and her husband Tom have released independent albums in the past, but it is pretty clear that their career paths weren't going to lead to a big break like Idol could provide. I'd like to see them get that break - but will people complain that's not what the show is about?
post #116 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We have our final three audition shows this week:

Tonight: Jacksonville (from the looks of the previews, it was raining in Jax at that time...hopefully it's not a metaphor )
Tomorrow: Salt Lake City
Thursday: East Rutherford, NJ (NYC) and San Juan

Scott

post #117 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
WNYW-DT FOX5 FiOS TV
Anyone else getting major video breakup on the HD and SD feeds around 8:15pm?
post #118 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

WNYW-DT FOX5 FiOS TV
Anyone else getting major video breakup on the HD and SD feeds around 8:15pm?

Yep. Cablevision via QAM.
post #119 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I think the kid at the end that brought his guitar in got a raw deal as he sang that Third Eye Blind song pretty good and was better IMO than a couple of the gold ticket winners at the start of the show.

Argee
post #120 of 1887 Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

I think the kid at the end that brought his guitar in got a raw deal as he sang that Third Eye Blind song pretty good and was better IMO than a couple of the gold ticket winners at the start of the show.

IMO he was not that good, or at least of David Cook caliber.

Scott

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page