'Wipeout' on ABC HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 595 Old 02-03-2009, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 119
OK, I actually watched wipeout during the superbowl halftime, (not a Spingsteen fan sorry).

It looked great in HD, why they did the SD later in the night? this is one of the programs that deserves some HD...

What about the rest of the season? I hope this wasn't a once in a season occurence...

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 595 Old 02-03-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

OK, I actually watched wipeout during the superbowl halftime, (not a Spingsteen fan sorry).

It looked great in HD, why they did the SD later in the night? this is one of the programs that deserves some HD...

What about the rest of the season? I hope this wasn't a once in a season occurence...

We're probably not that fortunate....

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #3 of 595 Old 02-03-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
What they showed while the game was actually on was old episodes. They did a special for halftime, and finished it up after the game, and it was all HD. I would image they might do HD when they come back this summer.
post #4 of 595 Old 02-03-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
PASS. I'd rather watch Synchronized Paint Drying in HD than this piece of crap. People jumping on big balls, not even HD can save that trainwreck.
post #5 of 595 Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

PASS. I'd rather watch Synchronized Paint Drying in HD than this piece of crap. People jumping on big balls, not even HD can save that trainwreck.

Yeah, soccer blows.
post #6 of 595 Old 02-03-2009, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Yeah, soccer blows.

But Jill Wagner doesnt.......hmmmm Jill.....or a person who can't sing any longer and has too talk through the entire songs instead.....

If all I'm going to hear is talking, I'd rather hear it from Jill.
post #7 of 595 Old 02-04-2009, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

We watched this at the party I was at, it was worth it just for the cursing cheerleader
post #8 of 595 Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We watched this at the party I was at, it was worth it just for the cursing cheerleader

Right cause everyone was talking about that at the water cooler.

My love is bigger than your love. Sing it!
post #9 of 595 Old 02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 51
We get Total Wipeout in the UK as well (there was a UK gameshow relatively recently in the UK called Wipeout - so I guess they added the Total over here).

Is the US format the same as the UK/German versions - with all of the action from the course in Buenos Aries along with a reporter (Amanda Byram for the UK one) - and then a presenter (anchor) in a remote studio linking in and out of the action?

It has just replaced "Hole in the Wall" in our early Saturday evening schedule - that was a game where Z-list celebs have to fit through odd shapes carved into a wall of polystyrene (styrofoam) to try to avoid being pushed into a pool. Total Wipeout is like particle physics in comparison!

Both totally brainless games that are strangely mesmerising - and appeal to younger kids and a "family" audience. "Hole in the Wall" used to lead into the UK version of Dancing with the Stars (Strictle Come Dancing) on a Saturday.

(And to keep this slightly on topic - all are 16:9 but neither Hole in the Wall nor Total Wipeout are HD here)
post #10 of 595 Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post

Is the US format the same as the UK/German versions - with all of the action from the course in Buenos Aries along with a reporter (Amanda Byram for the UK one) - and then a presenter (anchor) in a remote studio linking in and out of the action?

Essentially, although the US version came first so they built a US course, at least for the first season, which aired over the summer. But I wouldn't be surprised if they use the Argentina course for the next season. The rest of the setup is the same, though we get two anchors in a studio somewhere.
post #11 of 595 Old 02-04-2009, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

That's one of the funniest sequences. They usually fail landing on the first ball and get bounced off! The show has it's moments. It's not in the same league as the tough Japanese show, Ninja warrior?
post #12 of 595 Old 02-05-2009, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This wasn't in HD here in Vegas.
post #13 of 595 Old 02-05-2009, 11:18 AM

Though I wasn't able to watch it live (until just before the end of the game), the DVR did record the 7 and 8 pm CDT airings (in addition to the 4pm airing earlier in the day), and there appears to be some inconsistancy in exactly what and how it was broadcast.

The 4pm broadcast appeared to be (and was indicated in the program info as) a repeat, but without checking the recordings from last summer, the first segment (up to commercial break 1) didnt seem to connect with the rest of the show (the "Arial Tweato Special Edition", I'll call it), as it featured the first married couple in Wipeout (which I don't remember from before), and there was a reference to "those glasses" which probably was not mentioned in the original airing. Then, at what should have been halftime, the 7pm airing started (late for the start of the live coverage, it seems) in SD, had some audio problems, and eventually switched to HD for the remainder of that segment, up to the commercial break. Then, after the break, the show continued (a repeat) in SD. The 9pm slot started with another repeat airing in SD, then at approx. 9:16, there was a fade, and the live "Wipeout Bowl I" started (in HD only).

So, if you were trying to watch/record "Wipeout Bowl I" and HD only, you were probably very hard pressed to figure out what was new, what was a repeat, and what was MEANT to be HD (at least for Comcast Chicago).
post #14 of 595 Old 02-05-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Was it HD, or just Widescreen SD , Like Kitchen Nitemares ect ..
post #15 of 595 Old 02-05-2009, 11:34 AM

I'd have to go back and verify, but it looked to be standard 720p ABC-HD.
post #16 of 595 Old 02-05-2009, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan View Post

Though I wasn't able to watch it live (until just before the end of the game), the DVR did record the 7 and 8 pm CDT airings (in addition to the 4pm airing earlier in the day), and there appears to be some inconsistancy in exactly what and how it was broadcast.

The 4pm broadcast appeared to be (and was indicated in the program info as) a repeat, but without checking the recordings from last summer, the first segment (up to commercial break 1) didnt seem to connect with the rest of the show (the "Arial Tweato Special Edition", I'll call it), as it featured the first married couple in Wipeout (which I don't remember from before), and there was a reference to "those glasses" which probably was not mentioned in the original airing. Then, at what should have been halftime, the 7pm airing started (late for the start of the live coverage, it seems) in SD, had some audio problems, and eventually switched to HD for the remainder of that segment, up to the commercial break. Then, after the break, the show continued (a repeat) in SD. The 9pm slot started with another repeat airing in SD, then at approx. 9:16, there was a fade, and the live "Wipeout Bowl I" started (in HD only).

So, if you were trying to watch/record "Wipeout Bowl I" and HD only, you were probably very hard pressed to figure out what was new, what was a repeat, and what was MEANT to be HD (at least for Comcast Chicago).

Thanks for that explanation. I did try to record/watch "Wipeout Bowl I" and experienced just what you described. Til now, I assumed a DVR hiccup, though nothing else seemingly was affected. Hope they reshow WBI as we missed the last 16 minutes...

Bill
post #17 of 595 Old 02-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan View Post

The reason for the 9pm slot starting with a SD repeat for the first 15 minutes was because Superbowl coverage was still going on on NBC. ABC played a standby repeat episode of Wipeout until NBC was done with their coverage, and then ABC started the new episode of "Wipeout Bowl I." I didn't watch the halftime mini-episode that ABC aired, but this is probably the explanation for what happened earlier in the night as well.

Michael
post #18 of 595 Old 02-05-2009, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posty-McPost View Post

Right cause everyone was talking about that at the water cooler.

Other than turning on PTI when I got home, I didn't hear "Springsteen" mentioned a single time all day, so it doesn't matter either way.
post #19 of 595 Old 02-28-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wipeout Bowl I is on again in HD right now.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #20 of 595 Old 02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Wipeout Bowl I is on again in HD right now.

What's up with that. I've seen Wipeout on either Saturdays or Sundays when sports programming is not on ABC. It started some time in January(?) and I think it was on just a few weeks back. It had an ABC bug so I know it wasn't syndicated.
post #21 of 595 Old 02-28-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Yeah, soccer blows.

I'm sorry, where is soccer mentioned in this thread??

The show was in HD and I hope it is in HD when it comes back on in the summer. It is entertaining.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #22 of 595 Old 03-02-2009, 11:31 AM

Unfortunately, for Comcast Chicago, this repeat was in 4:3.

The odd thing is (without checking the recording from the original airing) that this appeared to be a re-edit, as the approx 7-min segment that had appeared during the SB halftime was put into this show, as the first contestant after the introduction.

Did anyone else see the episode and notice this?
post #23 of 595 Old 05-17-2009, 04:40 PM

The Zap2It guide lists the season premiere on the 27th and the repeat on the 30th as being HD.
post #24 of 595 Old 05-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm looking forward to seeing it again next week...it was my favorite LOL show last summer. I will never forget Ariel "Never Been Kissed" Tweto not being able to find the pole...

Scott

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...
Hot Off the Press / Philips and Magnavox DVD Recorders

post #25 of 595 Old 05-17-2009, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Flagged as HD in my Comcast guide.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #26 of 595 Old 05-18-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've only seen promos in SD, perhaps because most (if not all) ABC promos are in SD..

post #27 of 595 Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 55
They moved the show to HD faster than they did for DWTS!!
post #28 of 595 Old 05-18-2009, 10:44 AM

The local Aussie as well as the UK version (filmed in the same location) were both 16:9 SD so it is clear that ABC had that choice.. although the US one aired here in 4:3. Hopefully those guides are correct and it will be HD... and that Australia will show it around the same time here as the States as they did last series.
post #29 of 595 Old 05-18-2009, 01:53 PM

The press release that I saw for Wipeout does in fact say that it will be HD and in 5.1 surround sound

""Wipeout" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format, with 5/1 channel surround sound." (although I saw in another release where it said stereo sound, so we'll have to see what it actually is)

I assume the reason the first season was SD was because ABC wasn't sure how popular the show would be, and they didn't want to spend the money on HD if the show was going to be a flop. Now that it has turned into a popular show, the extra cost for HD is justified.
post #30 of 595 Old 05-19-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can't wait to see it now, nice new "wipeout machines" LOL

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page