AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Programming > Hogan's Heroes on Universal HD

HDTV Programming

Thomas Desmond's Avatar Thomas Desmond
07:57 PM Liked: 15
post #61 of 70
07-28-2010 | Posts: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

From the officially released sets (i.e., avaible on Amaznon.com), or are you talking something different? Woud be great to see these shows released on Blu-Ray, in 14:9 or 16:9 if possible ala Seinfeld and Hogan's Heroes. I wonder if they considered releasing Star Trek in 16:9 (or offering it as an option), or if that was not feasable; i.e., if the amount of overscan was not sufficient.

Blu Ray releases at 4:3 would be nice -- and sufficient, as well. I've got the "Star Trek" Blu-Ray releases for all three seasons of the original series, and a Blu-Ray player that offers a variable zoom feature. With that combination, it's possible to zoom the shows to about 14:9 and have the result look pretty good, as that doesn't exceed what was allowed for overscan back when these shows were originally produced. And it also has the advantage of preserving all the information of the original 4:3 frame and leaving the decision as to how to frame the program in the hands of the viewer, as it should be...
Thomas Desmond's Avatar Thomas Desmond
08:00 PM Liked: 15
post #62 of 70
07-28-2010 | Posts: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

In my own personal recollection, the first time that I remember hearing of syndication taking more commercial time was in the early 70's with the syndie reruns of Star Trek. For the stations to sell more time, the shows, which were sent in on film, were edited down. The resulting left over clips, were then cut up into individual 35mm slides and either sold (not legal, but it happened a lot) or just given away to those who knew to ask and then they would mount them and these slides were sold at the early Star Trek conventions.

I could recognize the very obvious (and bad) edits that KSTW(TV) made on their "Star Trek" reruns back in the seventies -- but I'm surprised that anyone could get away with mounting the edited frames and treating them as 35 mm slides, because my recollection was that the syndication prints were almost always on 16 mm film...which would have made for an awfully small slide.
CJPC's Avatar CJPC
12:41 AM Liked: 11
post #63 of 70
08-28-2010 | Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPC View Post

For instance, the Universal HD presentation, if I recall, the episode "The Hostage". They cut out nearly the main plot point in the episode.

Careful - it's a spoiler!

But, Hogan and his men dug a tunnel and planted a bomb underneath the Fuel Depot, and then back-filled it so the bomb could not be removed - from my memory, in the Universal HD presentation, the whole "planting the bomb" part was completely removed!

It should be on again in about 2 weeks to double-check, but they like to remove big chunks of it in exchange for commercials about Stoneware pans that don't stick, or their "undiscovered tv" spots.

Really miss the HDNET presentations

So, 3 weeks or so later - Universal HD re-aired "The Hostage", and it was missing THE PLOT point- of blowing a bomb under a refinery near camp. All of it was edited out, no mention of it at all.

Honestly, they could make better edits, or not loop the same commercial for "Rediscovered TV" twice in 20 minutes!
Jedi Master's Avatar Jedi Master
05:26 AM Liked: 22
post #64 of 70
08-28-2010 | Posts: 1,627
Unbelieveable! I'm glad I spend my money on DVDs today. I'm enjoying my Hogan's Heroes: The Komplete Series, Kommandant's Kollection on DVD. I started watching it back in May and I've been watching it in order. I'm now on season 4.
Dmon4u's Avatar Dmon4u
03:53 PM Liked: 19
post #65 of 70
01-09-2013 | Posts: 1,611
Any word on when it will return to Tv broadcast or come out on Blu-ray ?

* Just another thread back from the dead.......
jjeff's Avatar jjeff
05:01 PM Liked: 98
post #66 of 70
01-09-2013 | Posts: 9,925
HH does play regularly on AntennaTV but unfortunately only in SD and not nearly as good of quality as my commercial DVDs of HH.
A quick search yielded nothing on BD, too bad since it was shot on film and of a good quality. I also can't believe no one has posted in this thread since mid '10....seems like only months ago. Time sure fly's......
foxeng's Avatar foxeng
05:47 PM Liked: 40
post #67 of 70
01-09-2013 | Posts: 14,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

HH does play regularly on AntennaTV but unfortunately only in SD and not nearly as good of quality as my commercial DVDs of HH.
A quick search yielded nothing on BD, too bad since it was shot on film and of a good quality. I also can't believe no one has posted in this thread since mid '10....seems like only months ago. Time sure fly's......

Hogan's Heroes does not air on Antenna TV.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives
05:52 PM Liked: 418
post #68 of 70
01-09-2013 | Posts: 3,009
It airs on MeTV, which may have been the network jjeff was thinking of.
jjeff's Avatar jjeff
06:02 PM Liked: 98
post #69 of 70
01-09-2013 | Posts: 9,925
Sorry, Aleron Ives is correct, it's on MeTV Saturday 5 and 5:30pm CST. In my market AntennaTV and MeTV is on the same channel, just different sub channels smile.gif
Jedi Master's Avatar Jedi Master
02:13 PM Liked: 22
post #70 of 70
01-12-2013 | Posts: 1,627
I enjoyed watching Hogan's Heroes: The Komplete Series, Kommandant's Kollection on DVD. It was great and its a nice addition to my DVD library.

Reply HDTV Programming

Subscribe to this Thread