Hogan's Heroes on Universal HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 02-16-2009, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cheezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 440
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hogan's Heroes looks good on Universal HD, Comcast, Portland, OR.
I was wondering how this tv series look so good on hi def. Look almost blu-ray material. I wish all old tv series looked this good. Kudos to Universal HD.

cheezz

After having witnessed the mugging of a snail by a fellow snail, the investigating officer asked the DMP-BD30 what happened to which the BD player replied "I don't remember...it happened so fast."
cheezz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 70 Old 02-16-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dad1153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 35,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 178
1.- It's a sitcom shot on film, not videotape (film remains the highest-quality original source available);
2.- It doesn't have any special effects shots (except wipes/dissolves during transitions/titles) that would degrade the film master from numerous 'pass throughs';
3.- the quality of the original film stock and lighting were good;
4.- the masters have obviously been well-preserved;
5.- Universal minted the HD masters from original negatives or as close to the original broadcast master.

Basically any sitcom shot on film could look as good as "Hogan's Heroes" in high-def if they achieve this perfect storm of ingredients (very few do).
dad1153 is offline  
post #3 of 70 Old 02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
123HDTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDNet ran Hogan's Heroes for the longest time. What I noticed is on HDNet it was run 14x9 which was the original aspect ratio coming off the film. On UHD it's full frame. To my eye it looks like they're stretching it to fit.

The HDNet broadcasts were top notch. The UHD ones are good, however, if you saw the HDNet ones you'd probably notice the difference.
123HDTV is offline  
post #4 of 70 Old 02-16-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Davinleeds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 5,410
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Even in SD on TV Land, HH, Jeannie, and Bewitched look clean.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
Davinleeds is offline  
post #5 of 70 Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Marcus Carr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Baltimore City
Posts: 8,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123HDTV View Post

To my eye it looks like they're stretching it to fit.

Looks in proportion to me. They are probably zooming.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Marcus Carr is online now  
post #6 of 70 Old 02-17-2009, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

Even in SD on TV Land, HH, Jeannie, and Bewitched look clean.

They're probably all remastered.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #7 of 70 Old 02-17-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thomas Desmond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Plano, TX, USA
Posts: 2,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

4.- the masters have obviously been well-preserved;
5.- Universal minted the HD masters from original negatives or as close to the original broadcast master.

Basically any sitcom shot on film could look as good as "Hogan's Heroes" in high-def if they achieve this perfect storm of ingredients (very few do).

As already noted, "Hogan's Heroes" previously ran on HDNet -- and was remastered for them originally, not for UHD. At the time that "Hogan's Heroes" started appearing on HDNet, Mark Cuban (HDNet's co-owner) was quoted as saying that they had to do substantial restoration work from the original camera negatives, so the masters may not have been all that well preserved. Apparently, a lot of work went into making the remastered "Hogan's Heroes" look as good as it does.
Thomas Desmond is offline  
post #8 of 70 Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thomas Desmond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Plano, TX, USA
Posts: 2,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123HDTV View Post

HDNet ran Hogan's Heroes for the longest time. What I noticed is on HDNet it was run 14x9 which was the original aspect ratio coming off the film. On UHD it's full frame. To my eye it looks like they're stretching it to fit.

The HDNet broadcasts were top notch. The UHD ones are good, however, if you saw the HDNet ones you'd probably notice the difference.

The original aspect ratio from the film was not 14x9, but rather 1.37:1 (approximately 4:3). The HDNet broadcasts were just a slightly more restrained zoom -- in essence, they only cut off those portions of the top and bottom of the image that were outside the original "tv safe" boundaries that were set to account for overscan on early televisions.
Thomas Desmond is offline  
post #9 of 70 Old 03-21-2009, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
dean-l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Under a Moderator's Thumb
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It's shocking how much you can zoom the show to 16.9 and much of it actually looks natural. But there are definitely a few times were the picture is noticeably cropped on top and bottom. Mainly when "one face" is on the screen, it is noticeably too tight.

I wonder how much "pan and scan"(up and down, instead of the usual left and right for movies to SD 4:3) was done.

The transfer from film is simply stunning.

Moderator harassment is wrong and immoral.  
dean-l is offline  
post #10 of 70 Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Member
 
yardline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sebring. FL
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched Hogan's Heroes in HD about 3 years back on HDNet and was in the mood to pick it up again. Any idea when it might get another HD run?
yardline is offline  
post #11 of 70 Old 12-23-2009, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PiratesCove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 119
The show looks great and is hilarious. I remember watching it as a kid with my Dad. Its strange how old show can get away with subject matter and humor that is totally Non-P.C. today. "Hogan's Heros" and "Sanford and Son" , though classics, probabily couldn't have been made nowadays.
PiratesCove is offline  
post #12 of 70 Old 12-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
CJPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The only thing that drives me crazy with the Universal HD presentation- aside from the zooming is that every episode is a few minutes short, at times leaving out relevant plot details.

Liked the HD Net presentation better, but alas - it has not been on lately!
CJPC is offline  
post #13 of 70 Old 12-23-2009, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,863
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I have all 6 seasons on DVD and they're about as good as SD DVD gets, almost HD. I wonder if they'll ever be released on BR? On DVD they're full length, unlike when rebroadcast years later.
jjeff is online now  
post #14 of 70 Old 12-24-2009, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This is the next DVD set I'm going to buy.

Hogan's Heroes: The Komplete Series, Kommandant's Kollection

http://www.amazon.com/Hogans-Heroes-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Jedi Master is offline  
post #15 of 70 Old 12-24-2009, 01:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Its strange how old show can get away with subject matter and humor that is totally Non-P.C. today. "Hogan's Heros" and "Sanford and Son" , though classics, probabily couldn't have been made nowadays.

Heck - go way back and the humor was even more un-PC - especially in the two-reelers, like The Three Stooges, Little Rascals, etc. etc.

Everyone thinks of the most obvious, blantant stuff, like the Stooges playing "Japs", or the Dudley Dickerson bits or whatever, but in the Rascal's "Pay as you Exit", there's the part you have to pay attention to to catch in their "Romeo and Juliet" presentation, where Alfalfa (playing Romeo) says to Buckwheat (dressed in drag and playing Juliet), "Juliet, my Juliet". And Buckwheat just gives him a weird, sideways look and replies, "My Homeo!".

The Rascals actually had a lot of (much more extremely) controversial stuff cut out for TV - they supposedly restored all or most of it for the last DVD set.

Amos 'n' Andy sure wouldn't have ever made it nowadays. Shoot, even the "Looney Tunes" cartoons were pretty bad at times. Even the running, multi-layered gag of Wally exclaiming to Beaver that "Dad's really gonna beat the living heck out of us for sure" would never get by now.

The way TV is now, I don't even think something like the relatively recent (and completely farcical) Married With Children could get made (think of Al in the Driver's License facility, where the guy asks him what his native language is, or what Marcy resorts to to get her desk back, or Al's constant insults towards a certain, Western European ethnic group - and, of course, women).
Rammitinski is offline  
post #16 of 70 Old 12-24-2009, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,863
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

This is the next DVD set I'm going to buy.

Hogan's Heroes: The Komplete Series, Kommandant's Kollection

http://www.amazon.com/Hogans-Heroes-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

Funny but your link says 28 discs yet if I add up all the discs(counting DS discs as 2) I come up with 27 on my 5 sets Maybe the Komplete series has a extra bonus disc not included with the 5 individual sets.
jjeff is online now  
post #17 of 70 Old 12-24-2009, 01:06 PM
 
Joel Clemons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Heck - go way back and the humor was even more un-PC - especially in the two-reelers, like The Three Stooges, Little Rascals, etc. etc.

Everyone thinks of the most obvious, blantant stuff, like the Stooges playing "Japs", or the Dudley Dickerson bits or whatever, but in the Rascal's "Pay as you Exit", there's the part you have to pay attention to to catch in their "Romeo and Juliet" presentation, where Alfalfa (playing Romeo) says to Buckwheat (dressed in drag and playing Juliet), "Juliet, my Juliet". And Buckwheat just gives him a weird, sideways look and replies, "My Homeo!".

The Rascals actually had a lot of (much more extremely) controversial stuff cut out for TV - they supposedly restored all or most of it for the last DVD set.

Amos 'n' Andy sure wouldn't have ever made it nowadays. Shoot, even the "Looney Tunes" cartoons were pretty bad at times. Even the running, multi-layered gag of Wally exclaiming to Beaver that "Dad's really gonna beat the living heck out of us for sure" would never get by now.

The way TV is now, I don't even think something like the relatively recent (and completely farcical) Married With Children could get made (think of Al in the Driver's License facility, where the guy asks him what his native language is, or what Marcy resorts to to get her desk back, or Al's constant insults towards a certain, Western European ethnic group - and, of course, women).


Heck, I doubt even ALL IN THE FAMILY would be allowed.
Joel Clemons is offline  
post #18 of 70 Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Rammitinski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Des Plaines, IL
Posts: 17,437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Heck, I doubt even ALL IN THE FAMILY would be allowed.

Probably not, because too many people would "take the humor wrong" and not be able to see that they're actually making fun of Archie.
Rammitinski is offline  
post #19 of 70 Old 12-24-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PiratesCove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,060
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post


The Rascals actually had a lot of (much more extremely) controversial stuff cut out for TV - they supposedly restored all or most of it for the last DVD set.

Yeah I have that DVD set, the "Our Gang" comedies have some real racist and stereotypical moments. Though, it makes fun of so many elements of 1920s-30s America.
PiratesCove is offline  
post #20 of 70 Old 12-25-2009, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Todays TV has been ruined.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Jedi Master is offline  
post #21 of 70 Old 12-25-2009, 08:39 AM
 
Joel Clemons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

Todays TV has been ruined.

Not just TV, movies too. Anyone think that BLAZING SADDLES or THE EXORCIST would able to get made today?
Joel Clemons is offline  
post #22 of 70 Old 12-26-2009, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Not just TV, movies too. Anyone think that BLAZING SADDLES or THE EXORCIST would able to get made today?

I agree. The only movie that came out this year that I cared about is the new Star Trek movie. I watch OTA for sporting events and DVDs for TV shows and movies that I want to see. I have Blazing Saddles in the 8 pack of laughs Mel Brooks DVD set.

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Jedi Master is offline  
post #23 of 70 Old 12-26-2009, 09:52 AM
 
Joel Clemons's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post

I agree. The only movie that came out this year that I cared about is the new Star Trek movie.

Agreed. Also the Ultimate Cut of WATCHMEN. Like it or not (and I do), it is the first, last, and only super-hero movie for adults. A true anomaly...the type of which we won't see again.
Joel Clemons is offline  
post #24 of 70 Old 12-26-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

2.- It doesn't have any special effects shots (except wipes/dissolves during transitions/titles) that would degrade the film master from numerous 'pass throughs';

The last two seasons of Hogan Heroes did these effects (fades and dissolves) by printing them to CRI (Color Reversal Intermediate) stock. This was extremely high grain (for the time) reversal film that allowed them to print from multiple film sources with almost no loss of quality. It was nearly like going back to the silent film days when they did these effects in camera through double exposure.

Before Kodak introduced this stock in 1968, you could always see the quality degrade just before a fade from one source to another and return after it goes back to a single source. This is really obvious in films from the 50's and early 60's and that's why you don't see it except in cheap films in the 70's. CRI stock completely solved this problem and also improved film prints in general.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
scowl is offline  
post #25 of 70 Old 12-26-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Thomas Desmond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Plano, TX, USA
Posts: 2,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPC View Post

The only thing that drives me crazy with the Universal HD presentation- aside from the zooming is that every episode is a few minutes short, at times leaving out relevant plot details.

Liked the HD Net presentation better, but alas - it has not been on lately!

Most likely, the rights agreement for carrying the show on HDNet has expired.

CBS Television Distribution has four different versions of "Hogan's Heroes" available in syndication -- SD syndication edit (approx 22:15 run time), HD syndication edit (also 22:15 run time), SD network version (approx 25:15 run time), and HD network version (also 15:15 run time).

HDNet ran the network version; Universal HD is apparently opting for the shorter syndication edit, which chops three minutes out of the original episode length.
Thomas Desmond is offline  
post #26 of 70 Old 12-27-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mp3trojan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On the eastern fringe of the Dallas DMA
Posts: 1,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd like to see me some I Dream Of Jeanie in HD.
Barbara Eden was 2009 standards HOT back in 1969.

100% Digital household since 2001
mp3trojan is offline  
post #27 of 70 Old 12-28-2009, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jedi Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 1,627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan View Post

I'd like to see me some I Dream Of Jeanie in HD.
Barbara Eden was 2009 standards HOT back in 1969.

This isn't in HD but its the next best thing. Its an awesome set.

I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Jeannie-...1994248&sr=1-1

Broadcast TV - a vital national public resource
Jedi Master is offline  
post #28 of 70 Old 12-28-2009, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TVOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

This was extremely high grain (for the time) reversal film that allowed them to print from multiple film sources with almost no loss of quality.

High grain or fine grain?
TVOD is offline  
post #29 of 70 Old 12-28-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
scowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 10,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVOD View Post

High grain or fine grain?

Oh, fine grain. Jeez, no more posting from cell phones for me!

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
scowl is offline  
post #30 of 70 Old 01-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Member
 
talljerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have 140 hogan's heroes shows in HD when it was on hdnet. there all mpegs files that are on a 500gb drive.
I set my tivoHD to down load them to my computer every time it came on
talljerry is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off