Whats with all the show cancellations? I might as well cancel my dvr then. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The past couple of years I've started to enjoy watching some tv shows. Now they just want to cancel them all. I'm tired of being a beta tester. I'm going to wait until they make it to dvd from now on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thats kind of how networks have operated for years. Not much survives the first season

Going to sign up for Dish Network? PM me for a ClubDish referral number that will give you a $50 credit on your first bill.
post #3 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
If everyone "canceled their DVRs", they'd probably cancel a few less shows.
post #4 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Interesting post. You may actually be right, but I tend to think the opposite is true.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #5 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork View Post

The past couple of years I've started to enjoy watching some tv shows. Now they just want to cancel them all. I'm tired of being a beta tester. I'm going to wait until they make it to dvd from now on.

What shows are you talking about?
post #6 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I just try not to watch shows that suck.

Lipstick Jungle - never even bothered.
My Own Worst Enemy - dumped after 1 episode.
Crusoe - dumped after 1 episode.
Life on Mars - dumped after 2 episodes.
Knight Rider - dumped after 2 episodes (although not officially canceled yet).

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #7 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Life on Mars was dumped? When, it is still showing new episodes every Wednesday evening.
post #8 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

I just try not to watch shows that suck.

Lipstick Jungle - never even bothered.
My Own Worst Enemy - dumped after 1 episode.
Crusoe - dumped after 1 episode.
Life on Mars - dumped after 2 episodes.
Knight Rider - dumped after 2 episodes (although not officially canceled yet).

I really, really have to disagree with Life On Mars being listed anywhere near Lipstick Jungle and three other shows that suck.
post #9 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
the only show that was wrongfully cancelled in recent memory is arrested development, the rest can't compare.
post #10 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

Life on Mars was dumped? When, it is still showing new episodes every Wednesday evening.

Yes, it will finish out the season, but that's it.

post #11 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

I really, really have to disagree with Life On Mars being listed anywhere near Lipstick Jungle and three other shows that suck.

Just listing the "major" shows that have been canceled this season. And since they're all terrible (and have been canceled), they do deserve to be listed together.

post #12 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just listing the "major" shows that have been canceled this season. And since they're all terrible (and have been canceled), they do deserve to be listed together.

Life on Mars has not been canceled. It is still on Wednesday nights after Lost. ANd it's not terrible either.

How 'bout I start a list of terrible shows that haven't been canceled!
post #13 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Yes it's still on but like Stew said it will finish out the season and will be given a series finale episode to allegedly tie up loose ends but that's it. No renewal.
post #14 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 PM

Last year I really liked "Jericho" and "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip". They were both cancelled.
post #15 of 38 Old 03-03-2009, 09:48 PM

Liked: 12
Anything set in NYC or NJ needs to suffer a quick, sure departure.

No tears for the NYC-centric.
post #16 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

"Life on Mars" is/was right up there with the best new shows of the season. It definitely deserves to be on any list of "cancelled too soon" shows. I'm gonna miss it, but I am glad that the network is giving the creators the chance to give the show a real ending. (I never watched the BBC version.)

Rocky
post #17 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When Fox canceled DRIVE after only three episodes, I decided I'd DVR every new program until I see if it survives the first season.

Last year several of my friends raved about MOONLIGHT on CBS, then got p.o.'ed when it got canceled. I just deleted all the episodes from my DVR (hadn't watched any of them) and went on about my life.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #18 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Life on mars was part of the reason I started this thread. It certainly wasn't the greatest show ever but I found it entertaining. It was very similar to journeyman which was also cancelled. Journeyman had a few really weak episodes but the over all story I thought was excellent.

They also pulled Jericho which they could of went with another season and did a proper wrap up. I don't care if a show only runs for 1 or 2 seasons. I want to see them wrapped up. I was enjoying surface from netflix on demand but quit watching a few episodes from the end when I found out it had been cancelled also.

They tried to cancel lost. I know most people are lost with the show but not knowing whats going on makes it kind of fun. Its a huge leap up from other stuff on the air. I tried to get into Knight Rider but it was just to repetitive. I'm also undecided about how much I like Fringe and Eleventh hour. Fringe is a little more exciting at least but they are both repetitive.

Edit: Just remembered moonlight after reading the post above. My gf and I enjoyed that also.
post #19 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Moonlight had a decent series fanale. Wasn't complete closure but it was worth watching all the episodes. Sci Fi is rerunning it.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #20 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

How 'bout I start a list of terrible shows that haven't been canceled!

How about Kath and Kim? Not funny at all.
post #21 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Honestly, without a DVR, there's a lot of TV I wouldn't watch. Besides not always being at home for some shows, everything seems to air on the same three nights each week (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday). With the DVR, I can spread that out over the rest of the week.

I couldn't even tell you what time or day several of the shows I watch are on (I just know most of them are on the days I listed above). Some I have trouble remembering what channel they're on if I'm not in front of the TV.

Of course, my experience really doesn't matter. I have bever been, nor will I ever be a Nielson household. I'm not eligiable.

Finally, I can't stand "appointment TV". Sorry, but 8-11PM holds no special magic for me. If the networks can't supply shows to me when I want them (and I don't mean Hulu or some other low-bitrate download site), I'll take matters into my own hands. The DVR lets me do that.
post #22 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Life on Mars has not been canceled.

Yes it has. It's just finishing the season.

For those that liked it, be thankful they're allowing for a proper ending.

post #23 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediSpork View Post

They tried to cancel lost. I know most people are lost with the show but not knowing whats going on makes it kind of fun.

LOST has never been in danger of cancellation, and we can thank the gods for that. It's quite profitable for ABC and Touchstone Pictures in spite of middling ratings. It provides a number of alternate revenue streams that few other shows can match.
post #24 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDude View Post

LOST has never been in danger of cancellation, and we can thank the gods for that. It's quite profitable for ABC and Touchstone Pictures in spite of middling ratings. It provides a number of alternate revenue streams that few other shows can match.

Yeah, the only cancelation involved with Lost was the contract of the guy that green-lighted it. Of course, I noticed he didn't get his job back when the show became a hit...
post #25 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Yes it has. It's just finishing the season.

Actually, there's a slight difference between cancelling a show and not picking it up again for more episodes.

"Cancelling" implies that the network has decided not to finish producing or airing some episodes that were originally contracted. When they dump a show after only a few airings, like for example My Own Worst Enemy, that's a cancellation.

On the other hand, when a network airs all the shows that have been contracted for, but decides not to make more next season, the more correct phrase is "not picked up for more episodes".

So those who are saying Life on Mars has not been cancelled are technically correct.
post #26 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Actually, there's a slight difference between cancelling a show and not picking it up again for more episodes.

"Cancelling" implies that the network has decided not to finish producing or airing some episodes that were originally contracted. When they dump a show after only a few airings, like for example My Own Worst Enemy, that's a cancellation.

On the other hand, when a network airs all the shows that have been contracted for, but decides not to make more next season, the more correct phrase is "not picked up for more episodes".

So those who are saying Life on Mars has not been cancelled are technically correct.

You say po-tay-toe; I say po-tah-toe.
post #27 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

ABC Gives 'Life on Mars' a Finale

By Josef Adalian

ABC is giving fans of "Life on Mars" some closure.

The network has told producers that it won't be ordering any additional episodes beyond the 17 currently in the works for this season. But rather than play the usual "Let's-wait-until-May-before-we-make-a-decision" game regarding the fate of "Mars," ABC brass have admitted to producers that they won't be ordering another season of the show.

That means that, rather than letting "Mars" drift away with no resolution, producers will be able to write and film a definitive ending to the saga. Production is expected to continue for at least a few more weeks, with the finale expected to air no later than early April.

"We felt it was the right thing to do for the producers and the fans and creatively," ABC Entertainment Group President Steve McPherson told TelevisionWeek.

ABC took heat from critics and loyal fans for the abrupt endings to its well-regarded dramas "Eli Stone" and "Dirty Sexy Money" last year. By giving "Mars" a chance to complete its mission, the network is hoping to avoid any similar "controversy."

What's more, the U.S. "Mars" now will end up more closely resembling its British predecessor, which lasted for 16 episodes and also was a close-ended series. While the British series spawned a sequel of sorts, dubbed "Ashes to Ashes," no such plans are in the works Stateside.

Ensuring a definitive ending for "Mars" might also make it easier to promote the show's 17-episode run as a DVD release or, possibly, on a cable network should the series land an off-net run.

Mr. McPherson admitted the ratings for "Mars" were the main reason behind the decision to convert the show from a regular series into, in essence, a close-ended "event."

He has no regrets with how "Mars" is going out, however.

"I look at it creatively, and I couldn't be prouder," he said.

Jason O'Mara stars in "Mars." Josh Appelbaum, Andre Nemec and Scott Rosenberg are among the executive producers of the project, which is produced by 20th Century Fox TV and ABC Studios in association with Kudos.

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/a...rs_a_final.php

post #28 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Simandl View Post

When Fox canceled DRIVE after only three episodes, I decided I'd DVR every new program until I see if it survives the first season.

Last year several of my friends raved about MOONLIGHT on CBS, then got p.o.'ed when it got canceled. I just deleted all the episodes from my DVR (hadn't watched any of them) and went on about my life.

Ouch. You missed a pretty good series, though limited in number of episodes. You might want to re-consider and rent the DVDs.
post #29 of 38 Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Looks like the remaining five episodes of "MOWE" will air after all (not necessarily on Mondays though). From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread:

The Business of Television
Low Ratings End Show and a Product Placement
By Brian Stelter, The New York Times - November 14, 2008

Even in a fictional world, it seems, General Motors cannot catch a break.

The struggling car company's splashy deal to integrate two vehicles into the NBC drama My Own Worst Enemy hit a snag Thursday when the network confirmed that it was canceling the series after only four episodes had been shown.

The partnership represented a big push for both G.M., which has sought new ways to market cars and trucks in a troubled economy, and NBC, which has aggressively recruited advertisers to underwrite some of the production costs of its shows.

The demise of My Own Worst Enemy highlights the risks of the advertiser partnerships that NBC and other broadcasters are turning to. But the network is not backing away from the model; if anything, it is doubling down. Our partners understand that it's a risky business, said Marc Graboff, the co-chairman of NBC Entertainment, in an interview Thursday. But they want to be more integrated with our content.

Product placements in television shows and films have always existed, but they have become more elaborate in recent years. The newest forms of brand integration now make cars into characters and insert insurance company messages into story lines, and automakers like G.M. are driving much of the innovation, lending their vehicles for scenes and signing expensive partnership deals with Hollywood producers.

For My Own Worst Enemy, a much-promoted Monday night series, NBC and G.M. seemed to do everything right: they teamed up early in the production process, created commercials together and carefully added the Camaro and Traverse brands to the story lines.

Christian Slater played an ordinary middle-class father who is also a secret agent, complete with suitable G.M. cars for each personality, a Traverse sport utility vehicle and a Camaro convertible.

But as smart as brand integrations may be, they are only as effective as the show itself. Viewers rejected My Own Worst Enemy quickly; the most recent episode drew only 4.3 million viewers and put NBC in fourth place for the hour.

The network will show the remaining five episodes, in part to satisfy its partnership with G.M.

Neither partner expressed regrets; Kelly Cusinato, a spokeswoman for G.M., said in a statement that the company was excited to be a part of the series.

We continue to look for great opportunities, ideas and partnerships within the larger entertainment business, Ms. Cusinato said.

Well before G.M. looked to receive government financial support, the company started cutting back its television ad spending. In the first half of the year, its spending declined 13 percent compared with the same time last year, according to Nielsen.

Weakness in the automotive sector trickles down to advertising-supported companies; automakers represent the largest advertising category for TV networks. While G.M. declined to comment on its advertising budget, the company has withdrawn from its regular advertising slots in the Super Bowl and the Academy Awards.

By all accounts, brand integrations are a compelling alternative to 30-second commercial spots; Variety reported last month that the automakers have been among the biggest spenders for the format. Infiniti is sponsoring branded segments on Inside the Actors Studio, which had its season premiere on Bravo last week. Hyundai is featuring its new Genesis sedan in 24: Redemption, a two-hour movie to be shown on Fox on Nov. 23.

Advertisers must get their messages across within content, where it's done organically, seamlessly, and doesn't interfere with the cognitive rejection factor of traditional commercials, said Frank Zazza, the chief executive of iTVX, a firm that measures exposure to branded entertainment.

Although the details of the partnership between NBC and G.M. were not disclosed, integration deals can be set up on a sliding scale, adjusting the payments and the number of the product placements depending on the performance of the series. Sometimes networks will create custom sponsorships or other content to make up for poor ratings or cancellations.

G.M.'s deal with NBC began at the network's infront for advertisers last April. Held one month before the normal upfront presentations, the meetings were meant to jump-start conversations with marketers and make product integrations more likely to succeed. The integrations themselves have had a noticeable impact, even if some of the shows have not.

Every single first-year show we've launched has an advertising partner in place, which has probably never happened in broadcast TV, Ben Silverman, the other co-chairman of NBC Entertainment, said at the New York Television Festival in September.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/14/bu...html?ref=media

post #30 of 38 Old 03-05-2009, 09:16 AM

Huge Rant

I was complaining in the "Fringe" thread about how networks are forcing the viewers (consumers) to "give up" on many shows because they dont give them or us a chance. Fox is horrendous about moving shows around, from the day they air to the time they are on and even the long breaks they take for no aparent reason.

I am really starting to wonder if the popularity of PVR's is what is causing this influx of poor management and faith in viewers. How do they expect people to be loyal to a program when they have been burned in the past by show cancellations? I'm not about to go out and get and other DVR just so I can record some show that ABC, NBC, FOX or CBS thinks "lets try and compete with Idol on this day". Or "Nobody watches Lost, lets put Lie to Me up against it so we can pull it after 1 season because its ratings are poor".

I really don't understand why these Networks are operating in this way, with the advent of PVR's you would think they would target these people more. How about a fricken commercial telling people "Hey, don't forget to set your DVR for tomorrows episode of "blalablalala" your not going to want to miss it" or some shite like that.

I know Networks dislike DVR's because they are worried they will lose the revenue from people fast forwarding through commercials. Yet instead of understanding why people fast forward the commercials they continue the same mindless approach that turns consumers off to them to begin with. It has gotten so bad that I can barley watch Biggest Loser without being infuriated by the product placements. One eppisode they are telling you "Stay away from the center of the stores, these are where the frozen and processed foods are that cost more and are less healthy". Then when advertising dollars come in they do a segment on the show with "Don't be afraid to buy frozen vegetables, they can be cheaper and just as nutritious as fresh vegetables". They sell out EVERYTHING on this show and if they can do that much product placement WHY ARE THERE COMMERCIALS!.

Do what Fox did with Fringe, limited commercial breaks because its more of a hassle to try and fastforward for 60 seconds then to just watch the commercial and thats exactly what I do now. Some commercial breaks for Lost are horrible, the show will be on for 5 minutes then take 3-4 minutes for a commercial break. Having a DVR you really get to spot these things and its very annoying.

You want to make money through advertising then here is your biggest BIGGEST hint... DONT ANNOY THE CUSUMER! No stupid flashing letters or disgusting colors (thinking of you T-Mobile). Don't piggy back commercials with different ideals; playing a Jenny Craig commercial after or before a TGIF/etc is beyond retarded. Know your audience and advertise to them, someone watching Fringe more then likely wont need Monistat 7. Instead of letting the advertisers "pay" their way onto your network how about you subject their commercials to quality standards as well! Volume leveling is so 70's technology..USE IT! I like your shows, remind me when they are on but dont take up 30-60 seconds making it sound like the earth will stand still because "The most challenging patient pushes House and his team to the edge, can House save him?". Then it turns out the guy has acid reflux or something..grrr.

DVR's were initially designed so people could record something easier then VCR's and you could pause and rewind live TV. Now that DVR's are becomming more and more mainstream instead of fighting them the networks need to give people a reason not to hit the FF button. Having a good show is the first step in retaining viewers, unfortunatly its much more complicated then just that and until the Networks figure it out we will be stuck with this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page