"Castle" on ABC HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #271 of 1714 Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I have loved seeing some of the old Buffy crew on Castle. It wouldn't surprise me if Gellar showed up one of these days -- or if not on Castle, then on Joss Whedon's Dollhouse.

That's a fantastic idea! I'd love to see her delivering Joss Whedon lines again, with all the irony he could bring to her being a part of the Dollhouse story. Of course, the Castle Halloween episode was one big tip of the hat to Whedon. I'd like to see Gellar guest star in Castle, too.

I can't remember why, but I always thought maybe Whedon and Gellar didn't end their Buffy collaboration on the best of terms. Of all the Buffyverse characters who've appeared in Whedon projects, she's the one who's conspicuously absent. That's a shame. Anyone have any info on that?

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1714 Old 12-10-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

That's a fantastic idea! I'd love to see her delivering Joss Whedon lines again, with all the irony he could bring to her being a part of the Dollhouse story. Of course, the Castle Halloween episode was one big tip of the hat to Whedon. I'd like to see Gellar guest star in Castle, too.

I can't remember why, but I always thought maybe Whedon and Gellar didn't end their Buffy collaboration on the best of terms. Of all the Buffyverse characters who've appeared in Whedon projects, she's the one who's conspicuously absent. That's a shame. Anyone have any info on that?

I think that's been Sarah's choice more than anything else. Joss would leap at putting the old band back together. She did have a few semi hits, among them The Grudge, plus she recently became a Mom.
post #273 of 1714 Old 12-10-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

I think that's been Sarah's choice more than anything else. Joss would leap at putting the old band back together. She did have a few semi hits, among them The Grudge, plus she recently became a Mom.

The Grudge was a low budget horror movie that made a lot of money but was roundly disliked by critics and most viewers. Still, I guess it's fair to call it a cult classic. The Grudge 2 was even worse, apparently. I have never seen either. The law of averages caught up with Geller, though, and her next film, The Return was both awful and a money loser. The next one, The Air I Breathe, made even less and was hated by the critics. If Geller had a day job, I would tell her not to quit it.

More seriously, I agree with Joe Clark's assessment that Geller's problems in movies have been the result of poor career choices, not a lack of talent.
post #274 of 1714 Old 12-10-2009, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

It's hard for me to imagine anyone else in the role of Buffy. Kristy Swanson was a poor substitute in the movie.

Be careful. The movie came first, and while it wasn't quite Whedon's original vision, I thought it was pretty entertaining. The whole point was that she was a cheerleader named "Buffy", all T & A and no brains, the least likely person to moonlight as a slayer of the undead. I thought it was an original and humorous premise, plus Donald Sutherland, Rutger Hauer, and Paul Reubens were all great.

I grew to love the TV series, but it was definitely a different take on the concept, and may never have happened if the movie wasn't at least a marginal success first.
post #275 of 1714 Old 12-10-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbert View Post

Be careful. The movie came first, and while it wasn't quite Whedon's original vision, I thought it was pretty entertaining. The whole point was that she was a cheerleader named "Buffy", all T & A and no brains, the least likely person to moonlight as a slayer of the undead. I thought it was an original and humorous premise, plus Donald Sutherland, Rutger Hauer, and Paul Reubens were all great.

I grew to love the TV series, but it was definitely a different take on the concept, and may never have happened if the movie wasn't at least a marginal success first.

I always considered the movie a first run at the concept, one that failed for me on most levels. I didn't care for the casting or the direction. Maybe that's why I didn't have much hope for the series. I couldn't see the potential until Joss Whedon was given a free hand to explore his concept in episodic television. That's when great writing, great direction and an incredible cast all came together at the same time. It was a rare television confluence, and real magic for me. I never felt that same magic in Angel, and much as I like shows like Bones and Castle, they don't hold a candle to Buffy. Firefly had some potential to achieve Buffy-esque levels of greatness, but it never got the chance it deserved.

Of course, that's just my take on things.

Joe Clark

post #276 of 1714 Old 12-11-2009, 07:33 AM

Castle is definitely my favorite show right now. I love the acting the writing and the relationships. I admire the subtle ways they are moving things along with C/B. Rob Bowman from X-Files one of the people in charge so he should know how to make these characters work, without over playing his hand and the audiences patience.

I began watching for NF, who is terrific, but SK is really growing on me. Her timing is perfect and she can say so much with expressions. Go back and watch the very 1st ep from season 1. When Castle dissects her reasons for being a cop and you see the surprise, and the pain, and the sadness, and then a slight bit of anger, all in a matter of seconds. I knew she would be good after that scene and she has only picked up her game. It can't be easy playing opposite someone as strong as NF but she is more than holding her own.

Spoilers say the next 2 eps in Jan are very exposition heavy, so get ready.
post #277 of 1714 Old 12-11-2009, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I tried to watch Buffy, the movie, but it was so awful, I wasn't able to get through it. Thus, I agree that it was a failed first attempt at a concept that Whedon later made magical. I also agree that Firefly would have had a chance to be just as good but the rocket scientist suits at Fox pulled the plug after only one season, so we never found out.

As much as I like Castle, I don't think that it has yet achieved the heights of either Buffy or Firefly, despite terrific performances from Fillion, Katic, and the other members of its gifted ensemble cast. There is a lot more ore to be mined from that show, though, so I am hopeful that the best may be yet to come.
post #278 of 1714 Old 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Nice to have the show return. Nice episode too!

How are the ratings? I sense a push to get Beckett and Castle together and next week's preview gives me a sense the writers may be seeking closure on Beckett's mothers murder. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end...
post #279 of 1714 Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I liked the episode too. Alyssa Milano did a nice job as the old flame and Kanic gave a subte performance in re-evaluating her feelings for Fillion. However, they'll solve mom's murder, maybe over a few eps, get closer, but drift apart again. They can't consumate, that would really be the kiss of death for the show.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #280 of 1714 Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

They can't consumate, that would really be the kiss of death for the show.

Exactly what I'm worried about--the end of the show. I can see solving the murder brings them together--fade to black. I hope the ratings are enough to postpone this event and keep the show and tension going.
post #281 of 1714 Old 01-13-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 525
The murder reveal this episode kind of came out nowhere since the killer was barely shown throughout the show.
post #282 of 1714 Old 01-13-2010, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

The murder reveal this episode kind of came out nowhere since the killer was barely shown throughout the show.

And the show deviated from its unusual pattern of several misdirections before the actual murderer is revealed. I found that refreshing for a change.

Joe Clark

post #283 of 1714 Old 01-13-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:

I liked the episode too. Alyssa Milano did a nice job as the old flame and Kanic gave a subte performance in re-evaluating her feelings for Fillion. However, they'll solve mom's murder, maybe over a few eps, get closer, but drift apart again. They can't consumate, that would really be the kiss of death for the show.

Alyssa Milano's New ABC Sitcom Slotted for Mondays

Hope her show doesn't drag Castle down...
post #284 of 1714 Old 01-13-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

And the show deviated from its unusual pattern of several misdirections before the actual murderer is revealed. I found that refreshing for a change.

You can generally tell who the killer or red herring is in all these formulaic whodunits...it's the character actor that you've seen many times before that has a tad of screen time in the early minutes, then gets the rap at the summation at the end.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #285 of 1714 Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You can generally tell who the killer or red herring is in all these formulaic whodunits...it's the character actor that you've seen many times before that has a tad of screen time in the early minutes, then gets the rap at the summation at the end.

You beat me to it. I was getting ready to post the same thought.
post #286 of 1714 Old 01-20-2010, 04:44 AM

Wow. No comments about this week's ep at all...
"I like you pulling my pigtails."
post #287 of 1714 Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 525
I did not realize they would partially solve Beckett's mother's death so soon. For me that came out of no where. I like the way they are switching up the formula since they came back from the break. I thought for sure they would not get back to this case until near the end of the season.
post #288 of 1714 Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I thought this was a good episode. The interaction between Beckett and Castle is really strong, and I like the Beckett's mom's murder arc. I wonder how the show would do if it was moved to 9:00?
post #289 of 1714 Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I didn't get around to watching this week's show until last night. I thought that it was excellent. The chemistry between Nathan Fillion, as Castle, and Stana Katic, as Kate Beckett, is a joy to behold. They are both terrific. I also liked the way the writers advanced the thread involving the murder of Kate's mother without actually resolving it. That was cleverly done.
post #290 of 1714 Old 01-20-2010, 06:49 AM
sfb

Liked: 11
I thought it was one of the best episodes so far. And we finally got to meet Beckett's dad. I wonder if he and Martha will get together. I could see Kate tearing Rick a new one if that happened
post #291 of 1714 Old 01-20-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Another good ep. Was glad to see they are working towards solving her mother's murder.

Loved the scene with Castle and the detective watching that dvd and they both go "And now I have a boat!" Cracked me up for some reason...just their body language or something.
post #292 of 1714 Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The reason this episode had a more serious tone and had much more "meat" than normal is this was ep 13 which is all that was originally ordered by ABC. If the ratings had been poor this would have been the series finale. Luckily the ratnigs have been solid and ABC picked up the back nine (and I'd say they're movng closer to getting a 3rd season pickup at this rate).
post #293 of 1714 Old 01-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 66
In general I liked the episode but I thought the writing was weak.

Would any serious police unit say something like "I have a plan - we'll drive down a street and hope the killer randomly attacks us on the way." Really? The whole trap for the killer was so rushed that it was clear that it would go nowhere, even with the red herring businessman in the parking garage. I think the whole sequence took 90 seconds on the screen.

And if someone had a gun pointed at YOUR liver, would you really try a reverse-headbutt against him, especially given his background? Really?

Anyway, I didn't realize this was episode 13 (which explains why they did things this way, in case it was their final aired episode), so thanks for the tip.

Here's hoping the rest of the season is entertaining.
post #294 of 1714 Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

The reason this episode had a more serious tone and had much more "meat" than normal is this was ep 13 which is all that was originally ordered by ABC. If the ratings had been poor this would have been the series finale. Luckily the ratnigs have been solid and ABC picked up the back nine (and I'd say they're movng closer to getting a 3rd season pickup at this rate).

My guess is that if it was the series Finale, they would have just 'solved' the mothers murder, but when additional eps were ordered, they 'adjusted' the mystery of it ... Also, that 'tender moment' at the desk between them was probably going to at least be a kiss if the finale...
Unless it was completely filmed before they got the back nine ....
post #295 of 1714 Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

In general I liked the episode but I thought the writing was weak.

Would any serious police unit say something like "I have a plan - we'll drive down a street and hope the killer randomly attacks us on the way." Really? The whole trap for the killer was so rushed that it was clear that it would go nowhere, even with the red herring businessman in the parking garage. I think the whole sequence took 90 seconds on the screen.

And if someone had a gun pointed at YOUR liver, would you really try a reverse-headbutt against him, especially given his background? Really?

Anyway, I didn't realize this was episode 13 (which explains why they did things this way, in case it was their final aired episode), so thanks for the tip.

Here's hoping the rest of the season is entertaining.

There isn't a serialized drama on TV without big enough plot holes in it to drive a truck through. Thus, I don't worry much about such weaknesses, for this way lies madness.
post #296 of 1714 Old 01-26-2010, 05:56 AM

Great episode I thought. As annoying as Castle is, he plays well off of Beckett. Their chemistry is amazing. I also thought Castle's chemistry with his daughter was good for the first time, although I am a new viewer. I've got a lot of catching up to do!!
post #297 of 1714 Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytotech View Post

Great episode I thought. As annoying as Castle is, he plays well off of Beckett. Their chemistry is amazing. I also thought Castle's chemistry with his daughter was good for the first time, although I am a new viewer. I've got a lot of catching up to do!!

All the scenes with Castle's daughter have been great. She's charming. I thought this was another really good episode. Loved the blind dates, where their dinner partners end up with one another, and they end up talking about how boring their dates had been.

Joe Clark

post #298 of 1714 Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Definitely like this show and have enjoyed just about every episode.
Makes for fun Monday evening entertaiment.
post #299 of 1714 Old 01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 239
As the old expression goes, it's feel good TV.
post #300 of 1714 Old 01-28-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 90
It appears that ABC has ordered two more episodes, to bring the season total up to 24 episodes. Great news!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page