Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1550 Old 09-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

I love this show, but don't tell anybody. I think the secret is they keep the mother and the daughter to a minimum. I think overexposure of the daughter is what killed SHARK, which was a shame as James Wood has to be one of my all time favorite actors.

Agreed. It's not a bad idea to show the "personal" side of a character, his family and what he does at home, but writers have to understand that that is not what people tune in for. Shark's daughter had that whole ongoing thing with her loser boyfriends and personal problems and basically I didn't give a damn about any of it. I just wanted to see James Woods tear people apart in the courtroom. Oh, and Madeleine, too. She was hot.

"Castle" is more character-driven (discussions here are rarely about the cases, but are instead about the characters, which is telling), so I'd say they have a little more leeway here, but I'm fine if we see the mom and daughter at the beginning and end of each episode, and maybe once in the middle. They've established a "thing" where some issue with the mom or daughter has a parallel to the case of the week (her boyfriend didn't call, just as Castle didn't call Beckett, etc.) and that's fine. In solving the issue at home, Castle sees how to apply it to the case. But if they do it too much, it just becomes a joke, so they have to be very careful not to do it all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1550 Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbert View Post

Agreed. It's not a bad idea to show the "personal" side of a character, his family and what he does at home, but writers have to understand that that is not what people tune in for. Shark's daughter had that whole ongoing thing with her loser boyfriends and personal problems and basically I didn't give a damn about any of it. I just wanted to see James Woods tear people apart in the courtroom. Oh, and Madeleine, too. She was hot.

"Castle" is more character-driven (discussions here are rarely about the cases, but are instead about the characters, which is telling), so I'd say they have a little more leeway here, but I'm fine if we see the mom and daughter at the beginning and end of each episode, and maybe once in the middle. They've established a "thing" where some issue with the mom or daughter has a parallel to the case of the week (her boyfriend didn't call, just as Castle didn't call Beckett, etc.) and that's fine. In solving the issue at home, Castle sees how to apply it to the case. But if they do it too much, it just becomes a joke, so they have to be very careful not to do it all the time.

Yes, the writers these days continue to believe that they must cater to the feminine side of all male lead characters. HAWAII 50 introduced a female character who adds nothing. I read where HUMAN TARGET is introducing a female as Chance's boss. WHY? As I posted elsewhere, I want to see a buddy show. By the way, I thought the DEFENDERS handled this issue quite well.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #453 of 1550 Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 AM

Liked: 18
is Stana Katic Pregnant? I notice that every scene she was wearing loose clothes
post #454 of 1550 Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post

is Stana Katic Pregnant? I notice that every scene she was wearing loose clothes

My wife (who is pregnant) said the exact same thing. They sure did a good job of hiding her stomach the way she was walking with files in hand, camera angles, etc.

Big Dumb Mammal
post #455 of 1550 Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdog35 View Post

My wife (who is pregnant) said the exact same thing. They sure did a good job of hiding her stomach the way she was walking with files in hand, camera angles, etc.

well i am gald that i am not the only one who notice that.
post #456 of 1550 Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I don't think she's preggers.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #457 of 1550 Old 09-23-2010, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Mine caught it also, observant wives we have
post #458 of 1550 Old 09-24-2010, 10:22 AM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

A little bit of the "older brother" thing and some resentment that he hadn't called them either. They thought they were tight. The writer's really handled the hiatus well. Fillion and Kanic were at the top of their game again. The looks, interplay and dialog were top notch making Castle and Beckett even more of an item after the writer enforced split. Great job...oh, and the episode was another forgettable case that really was a matter or "Who cares", we're hear to watch Castle and Beckett anyway .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I agree...it was a bit of a big brother reaction. It WAS a hilarious episode, with two exceptions. I thought Ryan's line "he IS ruggedly handsome...hm" was forced...didn't work for me. And I really didn't buy that Becket, Ryan, and Esposito would react so hostility toward Castle when they found him in the room. Just based on how I perceive their characters, they would have taken a more "WTF" stance, instead of harshly yelling and arresting on the spot. Just me.

Loving Beckett's hair. I've got a thing for long, straight, beautiful hair.

I think it was supposed to be just as much of a resentment that they thought they were being scorned as well myself. Kind of the "bromance" angle. Castle, every woman wants him and all the guys want to be him (well, some of them would like to be with him too I'm sure ). Personally I thought the "book shop window" segment was totally inspired all the way around. I actually laughed out loud at the "ruggedly handsome" line.

It's interesting about Beckett's new do. I generally love long hair on women but on her I actually think it looks better shorter. At least with the way they have it now anyway.

ron
post #459 of 1550 Old 09-24-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

I don't think she is even after watching part of it again. I usually have a um... good "pregdar" next to my "gaydar" and it didn't go off.

Hey, what can I say... I'm Japanese...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #460 of 1550 Old 09-29-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Hmmm, looks like whoever it was that mentioned that Stana might be pregnant could be correct ..

LL
post #461 of 1550 Old 09-29-2010, 04:06 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I blame you guys, and your wives, but I spent the whole episode trying to figure out if she was pregnant. They're sure shooting her strange if she's not.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #462 of 1550 Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

One of the writers on the show was apparently asked about this and said emphatically that no, Stana is not pregnant. Apparently the show has a new costume designer who's decided that dressing one of the hottest women on TV in baggy shirts and sweaters is a good thing.
post #463 of 1550 Old 09-29-2010, 04:38 PM

Okay, then what in the heck is that under her shirt (in the screen cap above)?
post #464 of 1550 Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

There's only one way to resolve this to our (my) satisfaction.

Bikini episode.

Alternately Alternatively, Stana goes undercover[ed] at the annual Victoria's Secret show.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #465 of 1550 Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAF View Post

Alternately, Stana goes undercover[ed] at the annual Victoria's Secret show.

+1*10^42 (because 42 is the answer to the meaning of life)
post #466 of 1550 Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

That works for me.

post #467 of 1550 Old 09-29-2010, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
My wife, without any prompting from me or this thread, said she was pregnant after the last show...especially after the scene shown above. Either Stana is sporting some Michelon or the show is putting us on. I don't see the extra bubbage or any facial change. In fact, her face might be a tad leaner (though it is broad). So, I'm going with the writer's report. I read an interview from her about this season and the extra stunts they are letting her do, which she loves doing. Also, be prepared for some "wildside" Beckett.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #468 of 1550 Old 10-05-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Another hilarious episode.

As for her being pregnant, I have to go with no. There were several head on shots with a belt. I just think they need to fire the wardrobe person...

post #469 of 1550 Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 AM

She didn't look Preg tonight. My wife said no as well. and she has a good eye for that.
post #470 of 1550 Old 10-06-2010, 11:29 AM

We got a good laugh during the early scene when they were chasing Random (?) and I said "Yeah, chasing bad guys in heels, right." Then Royce actually commented on her heels and said pretty much what we've been saying here.

Sadly, as soon as we knew Royce was a figure from her past, I said "Guilty" and was eventually proven correct. It seems like any time you meet a former partner or mentor or any co-worker, it turns out they're dirty. I don't mean on "Castle" in particular, just on TV shows in general. You rarely have an old acquaintance show up and just bring some smiles to the place; they turn out to be dirty somehow.
post #471 of 1550 Old 10-06-2010, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAS View Post

She didn't look Preg tonight. My wife said no as well. and she has a good eye for that.

Yeah, but do we know whether or not this episode was shot in order or out of order?

If this episode was the first one they shot and the previous episode, where it looks she has the start of a baby bump, that could explain the discrepancy.
post #472 of 1550 Old 10-06-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 86
I have never seen a baby bump, just loose fitting clothing....

Bobby 

post #473 of 1550 Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

I have never seen a baby bump, just loose fitting clothing....

If you go back and watch the segment that I screen capped, I think you'll see that the material isn't just hanging free, that it's actually rubbing across her belly. Unfortunately, you really need the motion to see it, the still image is a little ambiguous.
post #474 of 1550 Old 10-07-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 329
One thing I think is a weakness of the show is they have some really great characters that could come back as reoccurring roles, but we never hear from these guys again. The burglar was hilarious in this episode, but chances are he will never be seen again.
post #475 of 1550 Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

One thing I think is a weakness of the show is they have some really great characters that could come back as reoccurring roles, but we never hear from these guys again. The burglar was hilarious in this episode, but chances are he will never be seen again.

Hmmm. That's an interesting thought. A "Huggy Bear" type character that shows up every now and then might be a good addition.
post #476 of 1550 Old 10-12-2010, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

ROTFLMAO! Another $#^%ing hilarious episode!

LOL poor Esposito!

post #477 of 1550 Old 10-13-2010, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Agreed...another great episode. The time travel references were top notch (Castle suggesting the time travel assassin then turning around to high-five...and being ignored cracked me up). Lots of other little comments as well (like how they also stole the squirrel's clothes).

Even loved the steampunk bar and outfits.
post #478 of 1550 Old 10-19-2010, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

LMAO! Another hilarious episode!

I don't remember Castle's ex being her... ?

Like Becket's hair.

Pregdar was going off pretty good at the beginning of the episode, but after the rain coat... uh no.

post #479 of 1550 Old 10-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My wife and I still love this show and it isn't even because we keep checking to see if she's knocked up!

That said...if you watch how they stage her (on top of what she's wearing) there are a LOT of shots where she's carrying a folder in front of her stomach, a conveniently placed computer monitor in the foreground, etc.

And yes, the shows aren't necessarily shot in order. My guess is the stunt-heavy Stana episodes were filmed earlier and the 'lighter' action episodes were filmed post-knock up.

Either way, it's a fun little aside to a show that we REALLY enjoy!

Big Dumb Mammal
post #480 of 1550 Old 10-19-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Maybe I mis-heard, but the mother's comment about Castle's girlfriend confused me, I thought that woman was his ex-wife? I must have missed something.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page