"Castle" on ABC HD - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 1550 Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 463
I loved the finale of the Spys Are Us two parter. I concede that it didn't work if you took it at all seriously but viewed as a loving sendup of every bad, and some not so bad, spy movie we ever saw it was a hoot, I thought. First we had the "rogue" agent, who wasn't a rogue at all, which setup the question of who was the mole in the CIA. How many suspects were there until the real mole was revealed to be Castle's ex lover and turned out to be a Russian sleeper agent? Now that's funny, boys and girls. Anyway, I thought the whole thing was delightful satire. Whether that was the result of clever subversive writing, or was simply the "Bomb" effect, where a TV show or movie is so awful, it turns out to be good, think Starship Troopers, I can't say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1550 Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I loved the finale of the Spys Are Us two parter. I concede that it didn't work if you took it at all seriously but viewed as a loving sendup of every bad, and some not so bad, spy movie we ever saw it was a hoot, I thought. First we had the "rogue" agent, who wasn't a rogue at all, which setup the question of who was the mole in the CIA. How many suspects were there until the real mole was revealed to be Castle's ex lover and turned out to be a Russian sleeper agent? Now that's funny, boys and girls. Anyway, I thought the whole thing was delightful satire. Whether that was the result of clever subversive writing, or was simply the "Bomb" effect, where a TV show or movie is so awful, it turns out to be good, think Starship Troopers, I can't say.

Great comments. I watch this show, actually most TV, as somewhat "camp" entertainment. Not only don't I expect 100% authentic, I set aside my BS detector completely. I want to be entertained. This show generally does that.
post #933 of 1550 Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
-.- If they weren't so serious the whole time I'd agree with that... I didn't see any humor or making fun of spy stuff...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #934 of 1550 Old 02-27-2012, 05:49 AM
sfb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Castle has gotten really stale this year. So sad too because this used to be my favorite show. I think they need to explain why Beckett's mom was killed and wrap this show up.
post #935 of 1550 Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
And let them finally get it on!

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #936 of 1550 Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
And now they're adding a second family mystery with Castle being told his father is/was CIA. So if we tire of the murder of Kate's mom, we can now join the search for Castle's dad. Couldn't be that the two story lines will connect somewhere down the line, could it? Nah....
post #937 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

So I saw this... TV? Movie? called The Librarian: The Curse of the Judas Chalice. It was horrible (friends wife wanted to watch it), but the only saving grace was Stana Katic although... she had a horrible accent.

Anyway, wtf happen to this show... ?

post #938 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post

You mean why haven't we gotten a new episode since 27 February? Because there are only 23 episodes during the season.

There will apparently be (at least) 2 new episodes starting next Monday.
post #939 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccur View Post

And now they're adding a second family mystery with Castle being told his father is/was CIA. So if we tire of the murder of Kate's mom, we can now join the search for Castle's dad. Couldn't be that the two story lines will connect somewhere down the line, could it? Nah....

Will Castle and Kate end up being half siblings?
post #940 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

I can't figure out what happened either. Castle was so terrific for so long, it's been sad to watch it deteriorate before our eyes. I will ride out the rest of the season but not with much enthusiasm.
post #941 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I can't figure out what happened either. Castle was so terrific for so long, it's been sad to watch it deteriorate before our eyes. I will ride out the rest of the season but not with much enthusiasm.

His comment was about not getting new eps, he spammed several other threads for the same thing.
post #942 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:

So I saw this... TV? Movie? called The Librarian: The Curse of the Judas Chalice. It was horrible (friends wife wanted to watch it), but the only saving grace was Stana Katic although... she had a horrible accent.

The Librarian movies are a series of what I would consider parodies that a lot of people don't realize are parodies. Each takes the guy, The Librarian, on an a very unlikely Indiana Jones-style adventure. Henry Jones is a history professor, generally regarded as a somewhat mundane job, but he has this other life as an adventurer. So what's even more boring than a history professor? A librarian! Once I worked that out and figured the movies aren't really meant to be taken seriously, they became a lot more fun. Bob Newhart as the mysterious Head Librarian with some unknown yet obvious powers is a riot, and they always have plenty of babes. Silly brainless fun.

Oh, but to answer your question: Hell if I know. It ain't what it used to be, but it's still better than most of what's out there, so I keep watching.
post #943 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

^I'm all fine with Parody, but... when you mix it with trying to be serious at the sametime it makes it annoying. I would NOT have watched that if I were on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

he spammed several other threads for the same thing.

It would be nice to get a... hey, uh... we'll be taking time off for a few weeks or months or this is the finale and then end than just dropping off the face of the earth and wondering if my DVR is broken...

post #944 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

You can always check The Futon Critic for information on upcoming episodes. Just type the show name in the search box and then click on the show in the results. Then under the "Showatch" header on the left, there will be a link for "view all related listings".

That will give you all official info on upcoming episodes/titles/dates etc
post #945 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

It would be nice to get a... hey, uh... we'll be taking time off for a few weeks or months or this is the finale and then end than just dropping off the face of the earth and wondering if my DVR is broken...

The breaks have been SOP for decades. Between Feb sweeps and May sweeps, when most shows complete a season, there aren't enough new episodes to air. This should not surprise you.

No need for a warning.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #946 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

That's cool, although I'm fine and all looking at a website, but I don't feel that's the problem.

post #947 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
There's no problem. There is about 36 weeks in a show's season, if it starts in Sept and ends in May. With a season only being 22-24 episodes long, that means at least 12-14 weeks without a new episode. Roughly a third of a season will not have a new episode. With sweeps taking up 12 weeks of a season, it doesn't leave many weeks in which to air new episodes.

Therefore, it's not that hard to figure out that there will be gaps, even long gaps.

Like I said, I don't see a problem.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #948 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
What's happened to the show? Well, if you're not getting better you're getting worse. They've tried to maintain the status quo through too many weeks without moving the relationship along...and...as handsome and charming as Nathan Fillion is...he let himself go and hasn't taken any steps to getting himself in shape. Stana, OTOH, has improved somewhat. It creates a disconnect. A desirable woman has an attraction to a handsome man. The man gains 40lbs over 3 years. If they are married, she probably still loves him. If they aren't even dating yet...he's toast in the rearview mirror.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #949 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Nathan: Mmmm...toast...
post #950 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Well, I am sure Castle has a higher acceptance factor due to his uber-millionaire status.
post #951 of 1550 Old 03-14-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post

Nathan: Mmmm...toast...

Smothered in cheese and truffles, as an aside to Eggs Benedict and 3lbs of gourmet sausage plus a McMuffin eaten every night at midnight, washed down by 1/2 quart of Scotch.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #952 of 1550 Old 03-15-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Looks like people are coming around to my position that they've "jumped the shark".
post #953 of 1550 Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

Looks like people are coming around to my position that they've "jumped the shark".

Nah, Fillion ate it.

post #954 of 1550 Old 03-15-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 383
I think this show began it's "jumping of the shark" with the nuclear bomb in the van episode and is two thirds of the way to completing the jump with the whole one falling domino to Armageddon episodes.

It can avoid landing, and completing that jump, but they need to get back to what they do best, focus on the relationships, family and otherwise, and stay away from all these fantasy land scenarios as far as the crime of the week goes.

Still love the show, but I've had several "roll my eyes" moments this season, much more and I'm pulling the plug.
post #955 of 1550 Old 03-16-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll second that.

They could learn a lot from the J.D. Robb series. Even after something like 30 books, Nora Roberts has maintained fan interest in the series by focusing on the relationships, not the murder of the week. And when she feels stale she explores the secondary characters instead of coming up with more and more outlandish plots.
post #956 of 1550 Old 03-16-2012, 04:28 PM

They've tried to do that with "Castle", but IMO pretty much failed. The Laney/Esposito romance came out of nowhere, was never really seen or explored, so when it ended no one cared. It seemed to dovetail a bit into Ryan's story with his fiance and eventual wedding, but in the end, nothing has changed. We still see them every week, they interact in the same ways, and it makes no difference at all whether they're married, single, dating, or what.

I'm a bit torn on this issue myself. In most shows, when they have an episode that focuses on one or more supporting characters, I find myself thinking "How nice, So-and-so gets an episode" but that's about it. The only way it can pay off is if they've explored or introduced something that actually makes a difference in the characters after that, which never seems to happen on "Castle". Other than the occassional line here or there, nothing about how they act, or interact with each other, has changed.
post #957 of 1550 Old 03-17-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 175
So are the ratings beginning to soften yet, to reflect the increased dissatisfaction being discussed in this thread? Maybe the lead-in ratings boost from the 37th season of Dancing with the Stars will hide any evidence of trouble from a ratings perspective, if in fact, the audience viewership at large is also growing restless with the handling and direction of Castle.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #958 of 1550 Old 03-17-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbert View Post

They've tried to do that with "Castle", but IMO pretty much failed. The Laney/Esposito romance came out of nowhere, was never really seen or explored, so when it ended no one cared. It seemed to dovetail a bit into Ryan's story with his fiance and eventual wedding, but in the end, nothing has changed. We still see them every week, they interact in the same ways, and it makes no difference at all whether they're married, single, dating, or what.

I agree they seemed to try and failed. But their poor execution doesn't doesn't necessarily invalidate the strategy.

It might be that it's impossible to execute the strategy in a writing team situation. Nora has the advantage that whatever she wants to happen is what happens. But in a team situation, if the majority of the team isn't helping to advance the secondary character plot lines then it's not going to happen. Maybe there's just too much back-stabbing and sabotage on most writing teams that no one will help advance someone else's ideas.
post #959 of 1550 Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought Stana did a great job in this week's episode. When Castle was trying to tell her that he was interested, you could see a little smile start to form on her face as she realized what he was getting at. Very cute and believable...
post #960 of 1550 Old 03-27-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 121
They both did, but it was just a tease for the viewer.
Back to the regular routine next week.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page