"Castle" on ABC HD - Page 57 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 27Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1681 of 1709 Old 04-17-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 233
That psycho plastic surgeon can reappear, kidnap Kate, perform radical facial surgery upon her and ta da!.. "Now playing the roll of Detective Kate Backett...", fill in the actress name of the networks choice.


CruelInventions is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1682 of 1709 Old 04-18-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
That psycho plastic surgeon can reappear, kidnap Kate, perform radical facial surgery upon her and ta da!.. "Now playing the roll of Detective Kate Backett...", fill in the actress name of the networks choice.
It's a little thing called chemistry and timing. After say what, 7 seasons and a lot of working the timing is down pat+++. As for chemistry, go back and watch the very first episode, the pot was worm in the first 5 minutes and boiling by the time she turns and walks down the alley. Better no show then something thats lost its magic. Pay the women, she's wroth the coin.
Phil17108 is online now  
post #1683 of 1709 Old 04-18-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 233
I was just joking, if it wasn't obvious.

Yea, the show works best with the two of them and no substitutions allowed. Though I think they could possibly manage to pull off a final season where Castles searches and seeks revenge/justice/etc. for her killer sort-of-thing. But then that would have to be the end of it. Probably too wistful and bummersville of a season plotline for standard network fare though.


CruelInventions is online now  
post #1684 of 1709 Old 04-19-2015, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
TeeJay1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hmmmm How about Orphan Castle? Clones and wackiness ensue.
TeeJay1952 is offline  
post #1685 of 1709 Old 04-19-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Tom Imp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 84
This show is mainly a comedy IMO. If they were to kill off Beckett, the show would take a drastic turn.
Tom Imp is offline  
post #1686 of 1709 Old 04-19-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 4,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
Hmmmm How about Orphan Castle? Clones and wackiness ensue.
heh, I'm all about them clones these days.


CruelInventions is online now  
post #1687 of 1709 Old 04-22-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
grubadub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 45
well i guess that wraps up the mystery of Castle's 2 month disappearance. i thought for sure his dad would've been involved somehow. kind of surprising that they wrapped it all up in one show.
grubadub is offline  
post #1688 of 1709 Old 04-22-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
David James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 1,958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
well i guess that wraps up the mystery of Castle's 2 month disappearance. i thought for sure his dad would've been involved somehow. kind of surprising that they wrapped it all up in one show.
Yeah, so was I. The way it started I was sure they were going to drag it out to be the finale.

It was actually an interesting scenario and would have made an interesting story line to see play out over a few episodes.
David James is online now  
post #1689 of 1709 Old 04-22-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kittrell, NC
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 224
It makes me wonder... did they not have a plan until this episode? Was this a last-minute explanation for the summer? OR did they have a different plan that got scrapped?

It wasn't a bad episode... but IF that is all we get for the missing 2 months, it seems a little empty after the initial build-up. Also, what happened to "you wanted to forget"? This episode made it seem like they forced Castle to forget and didn't give him a choice.

Also... the rewrite of his memory... in prep school... sharing that award and all... did they wipe his mother's memory too? How about anyone else he ever told? If he and that guy were friends at the prep school, they would have to do a lot more than just wipe Castle's memory and replace some school records... what about everyone else at that school who might remember that guy? Seems sloppy.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
HDMe2 is offline  
post #1690 of 1709 Old 04-22-2015, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
There are lots of holes in this last weeks show. There are enough for a few show next year if they run short of story lines, and what about papa he's a spy to and if I am not wrong he was in one show this year.
Phil17108 is online now  
post #1691 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I enjoyed the episode. About time that Castle's daughter got more screen time.

I knew that the first two "guesses" were not it, because it was too soon in the episode.

But, what really got me was the use of cell phones. None of them would have had service. AFAIK, nothing has been approved, or set up, to allow cell service on planes. That means the phone would have to have a connection to a ground tower. Let's see, at about 7 miles up, they would have been out of range. Oh, cell signals do not go up from the towers, as most of the power is directed horizontally. Lastly, they were out over the Atlantic. I don't know of any ocean based towers.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
post #1692 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
gprace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I enjoyed the episode. About time that Castle's daughter got more screen time.

I knew that the first two "guesses" were not it, because it was too soon in the episode.

But, what really got me was the use of cell phones. None of them would have had service. AFAIK, nothing has been approved, or set up, to allow cell service on planes. That means the phone would have to have a connection to a ground tower. Let's see, at about 7 miles up, they would have been out of range. Oh, cell signals do not go up from the towers, as most of the power is directed horizontally. Lastly, they were out over the Atlantic. I don't know of any ocean based towers.
Airplane WiFi calling? I think some airlines now provide WiFi service in the air.
gprace is offline  
post #1693 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
gprace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
British Airways has WiFi service on NY to London flights. Voice calls are prohibited, however, I guess they make an exception for our man Castle.
gprace is offline  
post #1694 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The only way I know of to make a call via WiFi is using a service like Skype, which is kinda what Beckett did when she did a video call to Castle (without showing the type of service used ).

All the rest of the cell conversations were shown as normal cell phone calls.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
post #1695 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I don't watch Castle for the expertise in tech stuff. It's for the humor and mostly Kat's making him sweat. Not enough of that last night.
Phil17108 is online now  
post #1696 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
gprace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
The only way I know of to make a call via WiFi is using a service like Skype, which is kinda what Beckett did when she did a video call to Castle (without showing the type of service used ).

All the rest of the cell conversations were shown as normal cell phone calls.
WiFi calling behaves like any other mobile phone call except that you are using the available WiFi network instead of 3G or 4G.
Connect your smart phone to any available WiFi network and call as always. I have found this handy when making international calls as there are normally no charges for WiFi calling.
gprace is offline  
post #1697 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HDMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kittrell, NC
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 224
You know... I actually pegged the culprit early on, but I let them misdirect me. I was sure it was her at the beginning when she was in the cargo hold with Castle's daughter... but I let them convince me it wasn't her. Should have stuck with my gut instinct.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
HDMe2 is offline  
post #1698 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 10:13 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
I don't watch Castle for the expertise in tech stuff. It's for the humor and mostly Kat's making him sweat. Not enough of that last night.
Hard for her to make him sweat when they aren't together. It is that personal interaction the creates that situation.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
post #1699 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
WiFi calling behaves like any other mobile phone call except that you are using the available WiFi network instead of 3G or 4G.
Connect your smart phone to any available WiFi network and call as always.
When I place my phone in airplane mode, which is the mode it is supposed to be in while flying, I am not allowed to make a call. My phone tells me to turn off airplane mode. And yes, WiFi was connected via my home network.

When in WiFi, the phone needs an apt in order to make a call. There is no place on the internet that the phone can get to to make a call. It is not a telephone exchange. Skype has the ability to allow you to make calls as you describe. A friend, who lives in the U.K., says that he uses Skype when he wants to make international calls. Much cheaper.

BTW, my phone is a LG G3, running Lollipop 5.0.1.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
post #1700 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
jabbathespud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: SFBA
Posts: 983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 57
With Google Voice and Google Hangouts Dialer, my nexus4 can send and receive calls over WiFi using my Google Voice telephone number. In fact, the nexus4 doesn't even have a SIM card so it can't use a cellular network. It's running Lollipop 5.1.
jabbathespud is offline  
post #1701 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
VisionOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Carrboro, NC
Posts: 12,040
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
When I place my phone in airplane mode, which is the mode it is supposed to be in while flying, I am not allowed to make a call. My phone tells me to turn off airplane mode. And yes, WiFi was connected via my home network.
Then you probably don't have Wifi Calling features on your account. It works exactly as described above. It connects to any accessible local wireless internet service and routes messaging and calls over the internet instead of the cell service. It's useful if you are in a bad cell signal area.

Plenty of ways to call over the internet besides Skype. Facetime, Facebook, Vonage etc. all have features that allow for calls over internet or cell data service from a smartphone. But you are correct, they still wouldn't get to make calls on aircraft. Even with Wifi-enabled flights companies like Gogo block the ports necessary for VoIP. Texting over Wifi is fine though.


VisionOn is online now  
post #1702 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Hard for her to make him sweat when they aren't together. It is that personal interaction the creates that situation.
Maybe next week, but if you need a fix the old ones with far more sweat are on TNT in HD just about every day
Phil17108 is online now  
post #1703 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vipfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I knew who it was from the start... also really? Black lady... ? #Bruhhhhmeme ...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
Vipfreak is offline  
post #1704 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
With Google Voice and Google Hangouts Dialer, my nexus4 can send and receive calls over WiFi using my Google Voice telephone number. In fact, the nexus4 doesn't even have a SIM card so it can't use a cellular network. It's running Lollipop 5.1.
Those are apps, like I mentioned.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
post #1705 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:37 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Then you probably don't have Wifi Calling features on your account. It works exactly as described above. It connects to any accessible local wireless internet service and routes messaging and calls over the internet instead of the cell service. It's useful if you are in a bad cell signal area.
It seems not. I've never heard of the option. I won't be getting it, if it is available from US Cellular, as I don't need more $$$ added to the phone bill.

Quote:
Plenty of ways to call over the internet besides Skype. Facetime, Facebook, Vonage etc. all have features that allow for calls over internet or cell data service from a smartphone. But you are correct, they still wouldn't get to make calls on aircraft. Even with Wifi-enabled flights companies like Gogo block the ports necessary for VoIP. Texting over Wifi is fine though.
I did say, at one point, services like Skype. As you say, they still couldn't make calls and even worse, be able to ping/ring/call a phone on the plane.

This storyline would not have been able to happen without the cell conversations. The whole thing would have had to wait until they got to London and at that time, the local authorities would have taken over and pushed Castle to the side.

In a situation like that, the plane would have been diverted so that it could land ASAP. That location would have either been Iceland or Ireland.

I still enjoyed the "joined at the hip" story, even with the technological mistakes.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
post #1706 of 1709 Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,884
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post
I knew who it was from the start... also really? Black lady... ? #Bruhhhhmeme
...
I figured it was the male flight attendant, then the pilot, then pretty much everybody but the one it actually was. I totally got it wrong. lol
Vipfreak likes this.

Tools: Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10A, eecolor colorbox.
Displays: Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Pioneer 51, Tivo Roamio and Mini, Dish VIP722.
Audio: Marantz AV8801, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP
JimP is offline  
post #1707 of 1709 Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
mrvideo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 6,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I figured it was the male flight attendant, then the pilot, then pretty much everybody but the one it actually was. I totally got it wrong. lol
There was no way that it was the pilot, as she was on the flight deck.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

mrvideo is offline  
post #1708 of 1709 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDMe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kittrell, NC
Posts: 5,483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 224
If you have a Magic Jack phone... they have a free app that lets you make and receive phone calls... and you don't have to have the app running all the time in order to receive a call.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
HDMe2 is offline  
post #1709 of 1709 Old Today, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County California
Posts: 1,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
If you have a Magic Jack phone... they have a free app that lets you make and receive phone calls... and you don't have to have the app running all the time in order to receive a call.

With Beckett in black you would not care about the tech junk. Less tech more black I say. Now thats good TV.
Phil17108 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off