"Castle" on ABC HD - Page 57 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #1681 of 1709 Old 04-17-2015, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 233
That psycho plastic surgeon can reappear, kidnap Kate, perform radical facial surgery upon her and ta da!.. "Now playing the roll of Detective Kate Backett...", fill in the actress name of the networks choice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 1709 Old 04-18-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
That psycho plastic surgeon can reappear, kidnap Kate, perform radical facial surgery upon her and ta da!.. "Now playing the roll of Detective Kate Backett...", fill in the actress name of the networks choice.
It's a little thing called chemistry and timing. After say what, 7 seasons and a lot of working the timing is down pat+++. As for chemistry, go back and watch the very first episode, the pot was worm in the first 5 minutes and boiling by the time she turns and walks down the alley. Better no show then something thats lost its magic. Pay the women, she's wroth the coin.
post #1683 of 1709 Old 04-18-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I was just joking, if it wasn't obvious.

Yea, the show works best with the two of them and no substitutions allowed. Though I think they could possibly manage to pull off a final season where Castles searches and seeks revenge/justice/etc. for her killer sort-of-thing. But then that would have to be the end of it. Probably too wistful and bummersville of a season plotline for standard network fare though.

post #1684 of 1709 Old 04-19-2015, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Hmmmm How about Orphan Castle? Clones and wackiness ensue.
post #1685 of 1709 Old 04-19-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 84
This show is mainly a comedy IMO. If they were to kill off Beckett, the show would take a drastic turn.
post #1686 of 1709 Old 04-19-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay1952 View Post
Hmmmm How about Orphan Castle? Clones and wackiness ensue.
heh, I'm all about them clones these days.

post #1687 of 1709 Old 04-22-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 45
well i guess that wraps up the mystery of Castle's 2 month disappearance. i thought for sure his dad would've been involved somehow. kind of surprising that they wrapped it all up in one show.
post #1688 of 1709 Old 04-22-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post
well i guess that wraps up the mystery of Castle's 2 month disappearance. i thought for sure his dad would've been involved somehow. kind of surprising that they wrapped it all up in one show.
Yeah, so was I. The way it started I was sure they were going to drag it out to be the finale.

It was actually an interesting scenario and would have made an interesting story line to see play out over a few episodes.
post #1689 of 1709 Old 04-22-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 224
It makes me wonder... did they not have a plan until this episode? Was this a last-minute explanation for the summer? OR did they have a different plan that got scrapped?

It wasn't a bad episode... but IF that is all we get for the missing 2 months, it seems a little empty after the initial build-up. Also, what happened to "you wanted to forget"? This episode made it seem like they forced Castle to forget and didn't give him a choice.

Also... the rewrite of his memory... in prep school... sharing that award and all... did they wipe his mother's memory too? How about anyone else he ever told? If he and that guy were friends at the prep school, they would have to do a lot more than just wipe Castle's memory and replace some school records... what about everyone else at that school who might remember that guy? Seems sloppy.

Me do not have signature.
Where I am when I'm not here!
post #1690 of 1709 Old 04-22-2015, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

There are lots of holes in this last weeks show. There are enough for a few show next year if they run short of story lines, and what about papa he's a spy to and if I am not wrong he was in one show this year.
post #1691 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 10:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I enjoyed the episode. About time that Castle's daughter got more screen time.

I knew that the first two "guesses" were not it, because it was too soon in the episode.

But, what really got me was the use of cell phones. None of them would have had service. AFAIK, nothing has been approved, or set up, to allow cell service on planes. That means the phone would have to have a connection to a ground tower. Let's see, at about 7 miles up, they would have been out of range. Oh, cell signals do not go up from the towers, as most of the power is directed horizontally. Lastly, they were out over the Atlantic. I don't know of any ocean based towers.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1692 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I enjoyed the episode. About time that Castle's daughter got more screen time.

I knew that the first two "guesses" were not it, because it was too soon in the episode.

But, what really got me was the use of cell phones. None of them would have had service. AFAIK, nothing has been approved, or set up, to allow cell service on planes. That means the phone would have to have a connection to a ground tower. Let's see, at about 7 miles up, they would have been out of range. Oh, cell signals do not go up from the towers, as most of the power is directed horizontally. Lastly, they were out over the Atlantic. I don't know of any ocean based towers.
Airplane WiFi calling? I think some airlines now provide WiFi service in the air.
post #1693 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

British Airways has WiFi service on NY to London flights. Voice calls are prohibited, however, I guess they make an exception for our man Castle.
post #1694 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

The only way I know of to make a call via WiFi is using a service like Skype, which is kinda what Beckett did when she did a video call to Castle (without showing the type of service used ).

All the rest of the cell conversations were shown as normal cell phone calls.

"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1695 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't watch Castle for the expertise in tech stuff. It's for the humor and mostly Kat's making him sweat. Not enough of that last night.
post #1696 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The only way I know of to make a call via WiFi is using a service like Skype, which is kinda what Beckett did when she did a video call to Castle (without showing the type of service used ).

All the rest of the cell conversations were shown as normal cell phone calls.
WiFi calling behaves like any other mobile phone call except that you are using the available WiFi network instead of 3G or 4G.
Connect your smart phone to any available WiFi network and call as always. I have found this handy when making international calls as there are normally no charges for WiFi calling.
post #1697 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

You know... I actually pegged the culprit early on, but I let them misdirect me. I was sure it was her at the beginning when she was in the cargo hold with Castle's daughter... but I let them convince me it wasn't her. Should have stuck with my gut instinct.

post #1698 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 10:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
I don't watch Castle for the expertise in tech stuff. It's for the humor and mostly Kat's making him sweat. Not enough of that last night.
Hard for her to make him sweat when they aren't together. It is that personal interaction the creates that situation.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1699 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 10:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
WiFi calling behaves like any other mobile phone call except that you are using the available WiFi network instead of 3G or 4G.
Connect your smart phone to any available WiFi network and call as always.
When I place my phone in airplane mode, which is the mode it is supposed to be in while flying, I am not allowed to make a call. My phone tells me to turn off airplane mode. And yes, WiFi was connected via my home network.

When in WiFi, the phone needs an apt in order to make a call. There is no place on the internet that the phone can get to to make a call. It is not a telephone exchange. Skype has the ability to allow you to make calls as you describe. A friend, who lives in the U.K., says that he uses Skype when he wants to make international calls. Much cheaper.

BTW, my phone is a LG G3, running Lollipop 5.0.1.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1700 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 57
With Google Voice and Google Hangouts Dialer, my nexus4 can send and receive calls over WiFi using my Google Voice telephone number. In fact, the nexus4 doesn't even have a SIM card so it can't use a cellular network. It's running Lollipop 5.1.
post #1701 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
When I place my phone in airplane mode, which is the mode it is supposed to be in while flying, I am not allowed to make a call. My phone tells me to turn off airplane mode. And yes, WiFi was connected via my home network.
Then you probably don't have Wifi Calling features on your account. It works exactly as described above. It connects to any accessible local wireless internet service and routes messaging and calls over the internet instead of the cell service. It's useful if you are in a bad cell signal area.

Plenty of ways to call over the internet besides Skype. Facetime, Facebook, Vonage etc. all have features that allow for calls over internet or cell data service from a smartphone. But you are correct, they still wouldn't get to make calls on aircraft. Even with Wifi-enabled flights companies like Gogo block the ports necessary for VoIP. Texting over Wifi is fine though.

post #1702 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hard for her to make him sweat when they aren't together. It is that personal interaction the creates that situation.
Maybe next week, but if you need a fix the old ones with far more sweat are on TNT in HD just about every day
post #1703 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I knew who it was from the start... also really? Black lady... ? #Bruhhhhmeme ...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #1704 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbathespud View Post
With Google Voice and Google Hangouts Dialer, my nexus4 can send and receive calls over WiFi using my Google Voice telephone number. In fact, the nexus4 doesn't even have a SIM card so it can't use a cellular network. It's running Lollipop 5.1.
Those are apps, like I mentioned.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1705 of 1709 Old 04-30-2015, 11:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Then you probably don't have Wifi Calling features on your account. It works exactly as described above. It connects to any accessible local wireless internet service and routes messaging and calls over the internet instead of the cell service. It's useful if you are in a bad cell signal area.
It seems not. I've never heard of the option. I won't be getting it, if it is available from US Cellular, as I don't need more $$$ added to the phone bill.

Quote:
Plenty of ways to call over the internet besides Skype. Facetime, Facebook, Vonage etc. all have features that allow for calls over internet or cell data service from a smartphone. But you are correct, they still wouldn't get to make calls on aircraft. Even with Wifi-enabled flights companies like Gogo block the ports necessary for VoIP. Texting over Wifi is fine though.
I did say, at one point, services like Skype. As you say, they still couldn't make calls and even worse, be able to ping/ring/call a phone on the plane.

This storyline would not have been able to happen without the cell conversations. The whole thing would have had to wait until they got to London and at that time, the local authorities would have taken over and pushed Castle to the side.

In a situation like that, the plane would have been diverted so that it could land ASAP. That location would have either been Iceland or Ireland.

I still enjoyed the "joined at the hip" story, even with the technological mistakes.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1706 of 1709 Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post
I knew who it was from the start... also really? Black lady... ? #Bruhhhhmeme
I figured it was the male flight attendant, then the pilot, then pretty much everybody but the one it actually was. I totally got it wrong. lol
Vipfreak likes this.

Tools: Calman 5, Chromapure, VideoForge HDMI II, Klein K10A, eecolor colorbox.
Displays: Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Pioneer 51, Tivo Roamio and Mini, Dish VIP722.
Audio: Marantz AV8801, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP
post #1707 of 1709 Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
I figured it was the male flight attendant, then the pilot, then pretty much everybody but the one it actually was. I totally got it wrong. lol
There was no way that it was the pilot, as she was on the flight deck.

Mr. Video
My Geek Images

post #1708 of 1709 Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

If you have a Magic Jack phone... they have a free app that lets you make and receive phone calls... and you don't have to have the app running all the time in order to receive a call.

post #1709 of 1709 Old Today, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
If you have a Magic Jack phone... they have a free app that lets you make and receive phone calls... and you don't have to have the app running all the time in order to receive a call.

With Beckett in black you would not care about the tech junk. Less tech more black I say. Now thats good TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page