Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #181 of 1613 Old 10-13-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
^^^ Not to mention that caribou "calves" now have "horns".

The ignorance level on Hollywood sets is mind-bogglingly high. Considering that half a dozen writers, half a dozen cast members, the director, the assistant directors, the continuity person and several other people must have read this script, you'd think at least on of them would know that animals don't have secondary sexual characteristics until puberty.

I'll give them a pass on the "horns" comment since lots of ignorant city folk don't know the difference between "horns" and "antlers", even though it's an elementary school natural scienc question and would be a perfect question for "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?".

But how can so many people be so ignorant that they think a calf is going to be jabbing a head with a pair of "horns" on it into it's mother's belly in order to get to a teat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1613 Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

The ignorance level on Hollywood sets is mind-bogglingly high. Considering that half a dozen writers, half a dozen cast members, the director, the assistant directors, the continuity person and several other people must have read this script, you'd think at least on of them would know that animals don't have secondary sexual characteristics until puberty.

I'll give them a pass on the "horns" comment since lots of ignorant city folk don't know the difference between "horns" and "antlers", even though it's an elementary school natural scienc question and would be a perfect question for "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?".

But how can so many people be so ignorant that they think a calf is going to be jabbing a head with a pair of "horns" on it into it's mother's belly in order to get to a teat?

Huh? Did I miss an episode?
post #183 of 1613 Old 10-13-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Just before he gets shot the con man says (I'm paraphrasing) "I saw a herd of caribou yesterday while skiing, there were about 14 of them including four calves that had horns with velvet on them."
post #184 of 1613 Old 10-13-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

I liked it...its just good entertainment...nothing ground breaking but watching Nathan is just a good waste of time...

It is one of my favorite ways to waste time these days. The last scene in the restroom was a hoot!
post #185 of 1613 Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
I enjoyed this week's episode, too. I thought the running gag about Beckett reading Castle's new book but telling him she has been "too busy to read it" was fun. I also enjoyed the interplay between Castle and his adolescent daughter. The dynamic between them is fascinating. Although Castle is ostensibly the adult, he is still a big kid in a lot of ways. In stark contrast, his daughter, although still an adolescent, has to be the adult in the family much of the time.
post #186 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So has anyone picked up the book yet?

I'm half-tempted... I read the Lost book and it was actually pretty half-decent...I might pick this up if I can find it in a store for $10...

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #187 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

First of all, either of those complaints can be chalked up to the plot...a con man who might not know everything there is to know about caribou or just using the wrong terminology....not like anyone in the real world cares if you call them horns or antlers. And I am a hunter, but realize nobody really cares about the difference.

Secondly, 30 seconds of Googling would have told you that Caribou calves do have antlers (I thought they did based on my visit to zoos): http://www.learner.org/jnorth/search/CaribouNotes2.html

Quote:

Q.How do you determine an animal's age in the field?
The best features for determining age when viewing from a distance are the body size and characteristics and the antler growth.In the fall a calf will have velveted antler spikes between 4-10 inches

So there!

Anyways, I really enjoyed the episode. Had me guessing until the end.
post #188 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 PM

Liked: 10
Look for Stana's straight-to-DVD movie now running on TMC. "Stiletto"- produced recently, rated "R" (yes, she does get naked- sort of).
She plays a Russian hit-woman and is BLONDE in the early scenes.
Worth checking out.
Here's IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1027747/
post #189 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm half-tempted... I read the Lost book and it was actually pretty half-decent...I might pick this up if I can find it in a store for $10...

Talk about creating your own reality.....

Amazon has an interesting write-up of "Richard Castle" the author. Wonder how many people who have never watched the TV show, much less even know it is on, will buy this.
post #190 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Talk about creating your own reality.....

Amazon has an interesting write-up of "Richard Castle" the author. Wonder how many people who have never watched the TV show, much less even know it is on, will buy this.

Crazily enough the book is #26 on the NYT best seller list and as of today is #9 at amazon and #6 and B&N. I haven't read it but I've heard it's pretty straight forward mystery writing.
post #191 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm a sucker. I just ordered it as a stocking stuffer for my wife!
post #192 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Castle continues on its dangerous course of providing a story last night: touching, great Castle/Beckett interaction. As a dramedy it is hitting all cylinders for me.

Still hoping that nobody at ABC will decide it needs some "improvement".
post #193 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 AM
sfb

I liked last night's episode as well-very touching when Beckett thought Castle was leaving for good. Was Castle's agent new? His old agent was his second ex-wife.
post #194 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Stana Katic really does justice to the softer side of Kate Beckett, doesn't she?

This was a pivotal moment in their story - for him to give up doing 007 for Nikki Heat. Of course, she is left thinking he probably wouldn't have given up the James Bond deal without the Nikki Heat book offer, and all the money it meant. (It would have ended too heavy without that at the end.)

Great episode.

Joe Clark

post #195 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb View Post

I liked last night's episode as well-very touching when Beckett thought Castle was leaving for good.

It was an excellent show with a nice surprise twist on the murder case solution (also very touching). Nathan and Stana played the akwardnesss of their relationship, when it's end was imminent, so well. Lotsa unspoken, hot emotions between these two. It should be fun to see how it plays out. Oh wait, who are we kidding? ABC will, no doubt, cancel this puppy just as it's getting to the good stuff. That's the way that their network suits roll. I'm just glad that the two seasons of Eli Stone made it to DVD.
post #196 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 AM

If it wasn't for Nathan and Stana, I think many of us would not watch Castle. Last night's episode was a great example of how their interaction really makes the show great.
post #197 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Stana Katic really does justice to the softer side of Kate Beckett, doesn't she?

This was a pivotal moment in their story - for him to give up doing 007 for Nikki Heat. Of course, she is left thinking he probably wouldn't have given up the James Bond deal without the Nikki Heat book offer, and all the money it meant. (It would have ended too heavy without that at the end.)

The last minute three book Nikki Heat deal was a convenient plot device that let Castle make the decision that he was obviously aching to make anyway. It might have been more interesting if that offer hadn't come in and he really had to choose between Beckett and the "British Spy" deal. That would have been drama. Of course it might also have been the final show of a cancelled series

Is Stana drop dead gorgeous or what?
post #198 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

The last minute three book Nikki Heat deal was a convenient plot device that let Castle make the decision that he was obviously aching to make anyway. It might have been more interesting if that offer hadn't come in and he really had to choose between Beckett and the "British Spy" deal. That would have been drama. Of course it might also have been the final show of a cancelled series

Is Stana drop dead gorgeous or what?

I think it was a perfect way to end that episode, and, yes, she is!

Joe Clark

post #199 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshoot1 View Post

Look for Stana's straight-to-DVD movie now running on TMC. "Stiletto"- produced recently, rated "R" (yes, she does get naked- sort of).
She plays a Russian hit-woman and is BLONDE in the early scenes.
Worth checking out.
Here's IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1027747/

You can see it on Netflix " Watch Instantly" also.

mark
post #200 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ausiello on EW.com is reporting Castle was picked up for the whole season (22 eps).

Yay!
post #201 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Very Malcolm Reynolds-ish outfit in the previews!
post #202 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Very Malcolm Reynolds-ish outfit in the previews!

Actually it is exactly a Mal Reynolds costume in the preview

And kudos to ABC for giving it a full season, well deserved IMHO.
post #203 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The murder storyline was incredibly thin and predictable...but I've come to expect that with Castle.

I'm in for CAPTAIN TIGHTPANTS in the next episode...

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #204 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 12:59 PM

I'm amazed at how easily some people figure out plotlines, sometimes only a few minutes into the show. When they first visited the Talbott's, my wife said "It was her child, and he stole it or something. The wife is innocent." And as it unfolded, I marveled at the (IMO) great twists and turns, but also how it was pretty much what my wife said it would be. Of course, she watches a lot more TV than I do. Maybe it's all according to a formula she's seen before.

The "tension" - will he or won't he? - was well-acted, but I think we all knew Castle would end up staying somehow, which robbed the scene of most of its impact.

What got me was when they visited the victim's ex-husband, who now finds out that his biological son is actually alive. I'd forgotten about him, and was tearing up when he got to see the boy.
post #205 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

I think I speak for most red blooded males when I say: holy crap, Stana brings the heat (pun totally intended) when she gets dolled up.

If anyone has any screens from the book party scene post them up!
post #206 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Yeah, the scene with the (now adoptive) mother and the real father at the end was the most heart tugging moment I've seen on a show in years.

Er, um, it was dusty, yeah, that's it.
post #207 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbert View Post

What got me was when they visited the victim's ex-husband, who now finds out that his biological son is actually alive. I'd forgotten about him, and was tearing up when he got to see the boy.

I agree, that ended up being a nice story. Reed Diamond, who played the doctor husband who switched the other father's healthy child with his own sick one, always plays unsympathetic characters well. His performances as Laurence Dominic, the head of security in last season's Dollhouse impressed me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

I think I speak for most red blooded males when I say: holy crap, Stana brings the heat (pun totally intended) when she gets dolled up.

Oh yeah, when Beckett's boss said that she cleaned up nicely, he was echoing what I was already thinking.
post #208 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if the episode has aired where Nathan reprises his role as a "Browncoat" from Firefly?
post #209 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
^That sounds like it ought to be a good episode.

This show has really grown on me. It's no LIFE, but it has definitely filled the void left a little.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #210 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post

Does anyone know if the episode has aired where Nathan reprises his role as a "Browncoat" from Firefly?

That's this coming Monday and looks to be the Halloween ep.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page