"Castle" on ABC HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 1613 Old 10-13-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mac The Knife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
^^^ Not to mention that caribou "calves" now have "horns".


The ignorance level on Hollywood sets is mind-bogglingly high. Considering that half a dozen writers, half a dozen cast members, the director, the assistant directors, the continuity person and several other people must have read this script, you'd think at least on of them would know that animals don't have secondary sexual characteristics until puberty.

I'll give them a pass on the "horns" comment since lots of ignorant city folk don't know the difference between "horns" and "antlers", even though it's an elementary school natural scienc question and would be a perfect question for "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?".

But how can so many people be so ignorant that they think a calf is going to be jabbing a head with a pair of "horns" on it into it's mother's belly in order to get to a teat?
Mac The Knife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 1613 Old 10-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
rsambuca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

^^^ Not to mention that caribou "calves" now have "horns".


The ignorance level on Hollywood sets is mind-bogglingly high. Considering that half a dozen writers, half a dozen cast members, the director, the assistant directors, the continuity person and several other people must have read this script, you'd think at least on of them would know that animals don't have secondary sexual characteristics until puberty.

I'll give them a pass on the "horns" comment since lots of ignorant city folk don't know the difference between "horns" and "antlers", even though it's an elementary school natural scienc question and would be a perfect question for "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?".

But how can so many people be so ignorant that they think a calf is going to be jabbing a head with a pair of "horns" on it into it's mother's belly in order to get to a teat?

Huh? Did I miss an episode?
rsambuca is offline  
post #183 of 1613 Old 10-13-2009, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mac The Knife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
^^^ Just before he gets shot the con man says (I'm paraphrasing) "I saw a herd of caribou yesterday while skiing, there were about 14 of them including four calves that had horns with velvet on them."
Mac The Knife is offline  
post #184 of 1613 Old 10-13-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
petergaryr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St Johns, FL
Posts: 6,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

I liked it...its just good entertainment...nothing ground breaking but watching Nathan is just a good waste of time...

It is one of my favorite ways to waste time these days. The last scene in the restroom was a hoot!
petergaryr is offline  
post #185 of 1613 Old 10-13-2009, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
I enjoyed this week's episode, too. I thought the running gag about Beckett reading Castle's new book but telling him she has been "too busy to read it" was fun. I also enjoyed the interplay between Castle and his adolescent daughter. The dynamic between them is fascinating. Although Castle is ostensibly the adult, he is still a big kid in a lot of ways. In stark contrast, his daughter, although still an adolescent, has to be the adult in the family much of the time.
gwsat is offline  
post #186 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lax01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Potomac, MD
Posts: 3,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So has anyone picked up the book yet?

I'm half-tempted... I read the Lost book and it was actually pretty half-decent...I might pick this up if I can find it in a store for $10...

Josh
PSN: lax01
lax01 is offline  
post #187 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mproper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palmyra, PA
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac The Knife View Post

^^^ Not to mention that caribou "calves" now have "horns".

The ignorance level on Hollywood sets is mind-bogglingly high. Considering that half a dozen writers, half a dozen cast members, the director, the assistant directors, the continuity person and several other people must have read this script, you'd think at least on of them would know that animals don't have secondary sexual characteristics until puberty.

I'll give them a pass on the "horns" comment since lots of ignorant city folk don't know the difference between "horns" and "antlers", even though it's an elementary school natural scienc question and would be a perfect question for "Are you smarter than a fifth grader?".

First of all, either of those complaints can be chalked up to the plot...a con man who might not know everything there is to know about caribou or just using the wrong terminology....not like anyone in the real world cares if you call them horns or antlers. And I am a hunter, but realize nobody really cares about the difference.

Secondly, 30 seconds of Googling would have told you that Caribou calves do have antlers (I thought they did based on my visit to zoos): http://www.learner.org/jnorth/search/CaribouNotes2.html

Quote:


Q.How do you determine an animal's age in the field?
The best features for determining age when viewing from a distance are the body size and characteristics and the antler growth.In the fall a calf will have velveted antler spikes between 4-10 inches

So there!

Anyways, I really enjoyed the episode. Had me guessing until the end.
mproper is offline  
post #188 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Member
 
tshoot1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nassau County, NY
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Look for Stana's straight-to-DVD movie now running on TMC. "Stiletto"- produced recently, rated "R" (yes, she does get naked- sort of).
She plays a Russian hit-woman and is BLONDE in the early scenes.
Worth checking out.
Here's IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1027747/
tshoot1 is offline  
post #189 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
petergaryr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St Johns, FL
Posts: 6,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

So has anyone picked up the book yet?

I'm half-tempted... I read the Lost book and it was actually pretty half-decent...I might pick this up if I can find it in a store for $10...

Talk about creating your own reality.....

Amazon has an interesting write-up of "Richard Castle" the author. Wonder how many people who have never watched the TV show, much less even know it is on, will buy this.
petergaryr is offline  
post #190 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
mac707's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

So has anyone picked up the book yet?

I'm half-tempted... I read the Lost book and it was actually pretty half-decent...I might pick this up if I can find it in a store for $10...

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Talk about creating your own reality.....

Amazon has an interesting write-up of "Richard Castle" the author. Wonder how many people who have never watched the TV show, much less even know it is on, will buy this.

Crazily enough the book is #26 on the NYT best seller list and as of today is #9 at amazon and #6 and B&N. I haven't read it but I've heard it's pretty straight forward mystery writing.
mac707 is offline  
post #191 of 1613 Old 10-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
rsambuca's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm a sucker. I just ordered it as a stocking stuffer for my wife!
rsambuca is offline  
post #192 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
petergaryr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St Johns, FL
Posts: 6,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Castle continues on its dangerous course of providing a story last night: touching, great Castle/Beckett interaction. As a dramedy it is hitting all cylinders for me.

Still hoping that nobody at ABC will decide it needs some "improvement".
petergaryr is offline  
post #193 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 AM
sfb
Senior Member
 
sfb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: northern va
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I liked last night's episode as well-very touching when Beckett thought Castle was leaving for good. Was Castle's agent new? His old agent was his second ex-wife.
sfb is offline  
post #194 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Stana Katic really does justice to the softer side of Kate Beckett, doesn't she?

This was a pivotal moment in their story - for him to give up doing 007 for Nikki Heat. Of course, she is left thinking he probably wouldn't have given up the James Bond deal without the Nikki Heat book offer, and all the money it meant. (It would have ended too heavy without that at the end.)

Great episode.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #195 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb View Post

I liked last night's episode as well-very touching when Beckett thought Castle was leaving for good.

It was an excellent show with a nice surprise twist on the murder case solution (also very touching). Nathan and Stana played the akwardnesss of their relationship, when it's end was imminent, so well. Lotsa unspoken, hot emotions between these two. It should be fun to see how it plays out. Oh wait, who are we kidding? ABC will, no doubt, cancel this puppy just as it's getting to the good stuff. That's the way that their network suits roll. I'm just glad that the two seasons of Eli Stone made it to DVD.
Cal1981 is offline  
post #196 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Member
 
daigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If it wasn't for Nathan and Stana, I think many of us would not watch Castle. Last night's episode was a great example of how their interaction really makes the show great.
daigo is offline  
post #197 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cal1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Stana Katic really does justice to the softer side of Kate Beckett, doesn't she?

This was a pivotal moment in their story - for him to give up doing 007 for Nikki Heat. Of course, she is left thinking he probably wouldn't have given up the James Bond deal without the Nikki Heat book offer, and all the money it meant. (It would have ended too heavy without that at the end.)


The last minute three book Nikki Heat deal was a convenient plot device that let Castle make the decision that he was obviously aching to make anyway. It might have been more interesting if that offer hadn't come in and he really had to choose between Beckett and the "British Spy" deal. That would have been drama. Of course it might also have been the final show of a cancelled series

Is Stana drop dead gorgeous or what?
Cal1981 is offline  
post #198 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

The last minute three book Nikki Heat deal was a convenient plot device that let Castle make the decision that he was obviously aching to make anyway. It might have been more interesting if that offer hadn't come in and he really had to choose between Beckett and the "British Spy" deal. That would have been drama. Of course it might also have been the final show of a cancelled series

Is Stana drop dead gorgeous or what?

I think it was a perfect way to end that episode, and, yes, she is!

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is offline  
post #199 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
sparky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: reno,nv.
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshoot1 View Post

Look for Stana's straight-to-DVD movie now running on TMC. "Stiletto"- produced recently, rated "R" (yes, she does get naked- sort of).
She plays a Russian hit-woman and is BLONDE in the early scenes.
Worth checking out.
Here's IMDB link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1027747/

You can see it on Netflix " Watch Instantly" also.

mark
sparky7 is offline  
post #200 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
wiggo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Memphis
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ausiello on EW.com is reporting Castle was picked up for the whole season (22 eps).

Yay!
wiggo is offline  
post #201 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sirjonsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Very Malcolm Reynolds-ish outfit in the previews!
sirjonsnow is offline  
post #202 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
mac707's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Very Malcolm Reynolds-ish outfit in the previews!

Actually it is exactly a Mal Reynolds costume in the preview

And kudos to ABC for giving it a full season, well deserved IMHO.
mac707 is offline  
post #203 of 1613 Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lax01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Potomac, MD
Posts: 3,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The murder storyline was incredibly thin and predictable...but I've come to expect that with Castle.

I'm in for CAPTAIN TIGHTPANTS in the next episode...

Josh
PSN: lax01
lax01 is offline  
post #204 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Orbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm amazed at how easily some people figure out plotlines, sometimes only a few minutes into the show. When they first visited the Talbott's, my wife said "It was her child, and he stole it or something. The wife is innocent." And as it unfolded, I marveled at the (IMO) great twists and turns, but also how it was pretty much what my wife said it would be. Of course, she watches a lot more TV than I do. Maybe it's all according to a formula she's seen before.

The "tension" - will he or won't he? - was well-acted, but I think we all knew Castle would end up staying somehow, which robbed the scene of most of its impact.

What got me was when they visited the victim's ex-husband, who now finds out that his biological son is actually alive. I'd forgotten about him, and was tearing up when he got to see the boy.
Orbert is offline  
post #205 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
mac707's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think I speak for most red blooded males when I say: holy crap, Stana brings the heat (pun totally intended) when she gets dolled up.

If anyone has any screens from the book party scene post them up!
mac707 is offline  
post #206 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
sirjonsnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Yeah, the scene with the (now adoptive) mother and the real father at the end was the most heart tugging moment I've seen on a show in years.

Er, um, it was dusty, yeah, that's it.
sirjonsnow is offline  
post #207 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,778
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbert View Post

What got me was when they visited the victim's ex-husband, who now finds out that his biological son is actually alive. I'd forgotten about him, and was tearing up when he got to see the boy.

I agree, that ended up being a nice story. Reed Diamond, who played the doctor husband who switched the other father's healthy child with his own sick one, always plays unsympathetic characters well. His performances as Laurence Dominic, the head of security in last season's Dollhouse impressed me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

I think I speak for most red blooded males when I say: holy crap, Stana brings the heat (pun totally intended) when she gets dolled up.

Oh yeah, when Beckett's boss said that she cleaned up nicely, he was echoing what I was already thinking.
gwsat is offline  
post #208 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
Erik Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if the episode has aired where Nathan reprises his role as a "Browncoat" from Firefly?
Erik Tracy is offline  
post #209 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vipfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
^That sounds like it ought to be a good episode.

This show has really grown on me. It's no LIFE, but it has definitely filled the void left a little.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
Vipfreak is offline  
post #210 of 1613 Old 10-21-2009, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
mac707's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Tracy View Post

Does anyone know if the episode has aired where Nathan reprises his role as a "Browncoat" from Firefly?

That's this coming Monday and looks to be the Halloween ep.
mac707 is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off