"Castle" on ABC HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1550 Old 03-08-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 387
The new crime show starring Nathan Fillion begins tonight Mar 9th 10/9C.

Wildly famous mystery novelist Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) is bored with his own success. Then he learns that a real-world copycat killer has started staging murder scenes depicted in his novels. Castle is questioned by NYPD Detective Kate Beckett (Stana Katic), a bright and aggressive detective who keeps her investigations under tight rein. Though they instantly clash, sparks of another sort also begin to fly, leading both to danger and a hint of romance as Castle steps in to help find the killer. And once that case is solved, he and Beckett build on their new relationship as they look to solve more strange homicides in New York - as much fun as one can have with death and murder.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/castle/index?pn=about

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My hopes aren't high, but I'll give it a try.
Young C likes this.
post #3 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 87
How can you call it a stinker without even seeing one ep? Maybe it will be bad, but you have to check it out first.

My question is why haven't I seen a single HD commercial for it?
Young C likes this.
post #4 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

How can you call it a stinker without even seeing one ep? Maybe it will be bad, but you have to check it out first.

My question is why haven't I seen a single HD commercial for it?

I will check it out, just not tonight. It has some tough competition(Medium, CSI Miami).

Judging from the promos, I don't see much there. Looks like just another cheesy drama. Same goes for "Better off Ted" and tha t Megan Mullally/Cheryl Hines sitcom.

ABC doesn't show any network promos in HD. I've only seen a few during special events and advertising the fall season. Other than that, they're all SD.
Young C likes this.
post #5 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 173
We've posted a sampling of reviews for "Castle" over at Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8060&page=1050.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto17 View Post

My hopes aren't high, but I'll give it a try.

If a series has even the slightest glimmer of hope, I tend to give it a try at least once. DVR is set.
Young C likes this.
post #7 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd be tempted to watch this if I didn't expect ABC to kill it before the season is over.
Young C likes this.

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #8 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 494
I plan to watch Castle, primarily because I like Nathan Fillion. He was terrific in Joss Whedon's Firefly as the slightly crooked but charming and competent Captain Mal Reynolds. He wasn't really bad in the short lived (for good reason) Drive but the show was such a stinker in so many ways, I was left with the impression that it failed despite Fillion's presence rather than because of it.
post #9 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

We've posted a sampling of reviews for "Castle" over at Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8060&page=1050.

Thanks for posting the reviews. Not a lot of positive remarks, but enough there for me to give it a try. I have to admit, I like this kind of set-up. Hopefully the series will reference other real-life mystery writers...
Young C likes this.
post #10 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm watching solely for the Fillion Factor, but my expectations of the show are that this will be a fairly average show that you can be entertained watching for an hour but not miss if it's taken off air.

post #11 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought it was great...of course Nathan stole the show...but then again, the show is named after his character.

This show has wit (or perhaps Nathan just knows how to pull it off)...I'm definitely in until they cancel it like all my other favorite shows on ABC (has ABC gotten worse than Fox? Traveler? Dirty Sexy Money? Big Shots? Eli Stone? etc etc!?!?)...

You just can't deny Nathan's on-screen charisma...he just makes everything so much fun/entertaining and I actually don't hate the relationship they are building with the Castle and Beckett....throw in a much matured Weevil (from Veronica Mars) and I think we'll have a very solid show (and possibly a hit if people can pull their heads out of the CSI-genre-asses)
Young C likes this.

Josh
PSN: lax01
post #12 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I thought it was pretty decent, I liked his mother and daughter too, the detective reminds me of Mariska Hargitay, I'll check it out next week for sure, for me there is nothing else on on Monday's at 10:00, other than Saving Grace, so I'm in.
post #13 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked it.
Young C likes this.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #14 of 1550 Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It was exactly as I thought it would be. Routine stuff carried by Fillion's charm.

As it finished I was wondering why they didn't make more of the author device. Even small things to differentiate it from other romcom crime shows like coming back from commercial and having funny intro titles like "Chapter 2 - Call the pool boy" or introducing scene changes with little descriptions - "Meanwhile back at Police HQ."

Or having each episode told in retrospect as Castle is writing each story. Which meant they could show a scene and then Castle could change his mind and rewrite it to be something slightly different.

etc.

In any case I don't think this will be around long. The timeslot probably won't help either. 10pm seems much too late for the light touch it's playing with.

post #15 of 1550 Old 03-10-2009, 05:13 AM

The first episode of Castle was much better than the first episode of Dollhouse. With one episode, they set a much better tone and have multiple storylines to explore including the mother, the daughter, the poker games and Castle's well placed connections.

I'm betting that Castle will pick up Eli Stone viewers.

A good start.
Young C likes this.
post #16 of 1550 Old 03-10-2009, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I only watched up until the first commercial (about 10 minutes) because it was late by the time I got to it. Liked what I saw and I'll finish it when I get home.
Young C likes this.
post #17 of 1550 Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I thought it was pretty decent, I liked his mother and daughter too, the detective reminds me of Mariska Hargitay, I'll check it out next week for sure, for me there is nothing else on on Monday's at 10:00, other than Saving Grace, so I'm in.

The mother and daughter add nothing to the show. When the daughter told him it "was time to go to bed" I knew this show was done for. There are just so many shows I can take that Just have to stress "relationships". The mother wasn't funny.

Even the GREAT James Woods (SHARK) couldn't get past the mandatory "personal life" BS. LIFE is a great show, but the sscenes with TED are getting a bit forced.

But then the greatest show of them all, RESCUE ME will soon be here, and BURN NOTICE is coming back soon.
Young C likes this.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #18 of 1550 Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I liked this one from the get go. Light, but adult in theme. Sure it's going to be another procedural. A touch of Life, a smidgeon of Bones and alot of Fillion. I'll continue to watch. I can't stand CSI/MIA or Medium anyway.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #19 of 1550 Old 03-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I thought it was great and laughed out loud a few times (not a usual occurrence for 10:00p.m. shows and me). I'll keep watching as long as Fillion is there. He makes me laugh every time. "Apples! Apples! Apples!" I was cracking up!
Young C likes this.

Big Dumb Mammal
post #20 of 1550 Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Too formulaic for me. I stopped watching after the second commercial. It just wasn't drawing me in. There are plenty of talented people in the world who could probably write and produce better but closed shop Hollywood won't let them in. And the bean counters steer too much. I see elements borrowed from "Californication" (author and daughter) and Blythe Danner's character on "Huff". Otherwise it is YADS (Yet Another Detective Series). I may continue with the recording to see if the story arc gets any better.
post #21 of 1550 Old 03-10-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Too formulaic for me. I stopped watching after the second commercial. It just wasn't drawing me in. There are plenty of talented people in the world who could probably write and produce better but closed shop Hollywood won't let them in. And the bean counters steer too much. I see elements borrowed from "Californication" (author and daughter) and Blythe Danner's character on "Huff". Otherwise it is YADS (Yet Another Detective Series). I may continue with the recording to see if the story arc gets any better.

I can't resist observing that, at some level, every crime show is "YADS." I haven't finished watching Castle's first episode but what I have seen has been pretty good. I like Castle's wiseass mother, so far, "graydar," indeed!
post #22 of 1550 Old 03-11-2009, 03:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 428
I tried watching it, but my attention kept drifting. I was just bored by it. I got through the entire episode and realized that I missed half of what happened - and didn't care.

It seemed well done, but I just didn't get into it at all.

post #23 of 1550 Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 AM
sfb

I liked it much more than Dollhouse. Seemed to be a more hip and updated version of Murder She Wrote.
Young C likes this.
post #24 of 1550 Old 03-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Bland, but Fillions charm and humor carried me through. The premise seems awefully thin (horror writer working on real cases for book material) and it will be hard to rinse-repeat the cycle of "cop makes guess, writer shoots it down with 'it's not a good story' line, cop investigates thematic angle instead, writer is correct", but I guess that is what passes for proecudral TV these days. Hopefully it has a rich enough supporting cast and interesting enough cases to at least rise to the level of Bones. Lots of literary cameos promises some fun, though I am not much of a mystery reader.
Young C likes this.
post #25 of 1550 Old 03-11-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I finally finished watching Castle's first episode and thought it was well above average. The show is a little silly but it is exciting and filled with charming characters. The always entertaining Nathan Fillion's character is an interesting guy, as are the lady NYPD cop, Castle's mother, and his 15 year old daughter.
post #26 of 1550 Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I thought Castle was well written and the actors were believable in their roles. I will watch again next week .
Young C likes this.
post #27 of 1550 Old 03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Comcast Chicago - show is in SD on the HD channel. WTF? Anyone else get this? Way to premiere a show.

Ahhh changes 6 minutes in. weird.
Young C likes this.
post #28 of 1550 Old 03-11-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I'm keeping the season pass (for as long as "seasons" are these days).
Young C likes this.
post #29 of 1550 Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I don't think the trailers they were running to promote the show before it started did it any justice. I was prepared for the worst, but actually found myself amused by the characters. The weak point was, I thought, the actual mystery part. We'll have to see if the show holds up over time, or if Fillion's Castle character gets annoying.

In the meantime, I'll record it and keep watching.

I have higher hopes for this show than Dollhouse, since that seems to be the running comparison.
Young C likes this.
post #30 of 1550 Old 03-12-2009, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Wife and I really enjoyed it. I doubt it lasts (March start and a 10pm timeslot) but I really enjoyed parts of it. The poker game was funny as heck (was the woman Faye Kellerman? They didn't give her any lines).
Young C likes this.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page