TNT airing Saving Private Ryan uncensored. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never thought I'd see the day when I could watch a great movie on TNT in it's full glory.

Even though I already have that movie on SD-DVD, it's great to finally see regular cable stations airing great movies uncut.

This country needs to grow up, especially these days, there are more important things to worry about then some naughty words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-14-2009, 06:36 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hmmm, I've heard the F word munged already. Must not that uncensored.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-14-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 356
They've done this before when it first aired back around 2005. They bought the rights to the uncut and uncensored version and were told it had to be shown that way by either Spielberg, Hanks or both.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-14-2009, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

They've done this before when it first aired back around 2005. They bought the rights to the uncut and uncensored version and were told it had to be shown that way by either Spielberg, Hanks or both.

Didn't they also want to show it on broadcast TV too? And there was some big stink made over it and FCC fines?
post #5 of 9 Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
If I remember correctly, NBC was supposed to show it first, uncut, before TNT had it. I remember hearing on the radio and TV that there was no bad language in the film... they must have been in the bathroom or were drying their hair at the time!

Jeff
post #6 of 9 Old 03-14-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd love if it were released on Blu-ray.

Mark Vidonic
mark.vidonic@gmail.com
post #7 of 9 Old 03-16-2009, 01:09 PM

Actually, it was ABC who showed the movie uncut and uncensored several times. This is from the Wikipedia entry for the movie:

Quote:

On Veterans Day from 2001 through 2004, the American Broadcasting Company aired the film uncut and with limited commercial interruption. The network airings were given a TV-MA rating, as the violent battle scenes and the profanity were left intact. The 2004 airing was marred by preemptions in many markets because of the language, in the backlash of Super Bowl XXXVIII's halftime show controversy.[42] However, critics and veterans' groups such as the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars assailed those stations and their owners, including Hearst-Argyle Television (owner of 14 ABC affiliates); Scripps Howard Broadcasting (owner of eight); and Belo (the owner of four) for putting profits ahead of programming and honoring those who gave their lives at wartime, saying the stations made more money running their own programming instead of being paid by the network to carry the film, especially during a sweeps period. A total of 65 ABC affiliates28% of the networkdid not clear the available timeslot for the film, even with the offer of The Walt Disney Company, ABC's parent, to pay all fines for language to the Federal Communications Commission.[43] Months later, the FCC ruled that the film did not violate indecency guidelines.[44] Since then, Turner Network Television has shown the film in its entirety on a regular basis.

Now available in living COLOR
post #8 of 9 Old 03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodave View Post

Actually, it was ABC who showed the movie uncut and uncensored several times. This is from the Wikipedia entry for the movie:

Now I remember that!! Because my ABC affiliate is a Scripps Howard, and they pussed out of showing the movie. One of the many reasons why I hate WEWS!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I saw this was on TV tonight. I thought the rule Spielberg told them was they can show the movie on TV if it's not censored? When Mellish was explaining FUBAR to Upham he clearly said "Fouled" instead of the F word.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page