'Caprica' on Syfy HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Might be kind of nice, actually, to get all those folks "out of the way" who are already so bored with it. That way we won't have to re-read every week how much crap got bored out of them during that week's episode, and the people who want to discuss the adult themes presented therein can do so without having to constantly defend the creative team from those who just don't, or won't, get it. The Network offers fare more to their liking with 'Eureka', 'W-13', and those terrific Saturday night movies in any event. Win-win.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

And I don't understand people who are critical of viewers who make a quick decision about whether they like a show or not.

Because they can. Pure and simple.

fafner
Old 01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Ditto on the 'Kings' vibe. I hated that show, and the similarity I noted in the Caprica pilot grated on me. So having watched the pilot, i will certainly not add this to my weekly viewing. After being so let down with the last season of BSG, I refuse to get myself all involved in a prequel show by the same creative team. I'll pass.

And I don't understand people who are critical of viewers who make a quick decision about whether they like a show or not. Hey, guess what? That's exactly what most viewers do. You have to grab people with your characters and premise in the first half hour, or you are done. I wonder if those same people would give Dancing with the Stars, Oprah, Iron Chef, and Ghost Hunters the same consideration? I think I can adequatly judge whethere I am going to like a show after one full episode - whether it is a reality program, drama, comedy, or news program. I don't need to decicate 3 nights of my life to something that is boring the crap out of me before I decide to give up on it. My time is too precious to waste watching mediocre television.

I don't generally have a problem with people who will at least watch 1 full episode before making up their mind (and I don't think anyone in this thread has been criticized for doing that). I just think it's asinine to think anyone can come to an educated conclusion about a show having watched LESS than 1 episode.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafner View Post

That is the problem....leading to another soap about teen age sex.

It's probably your age. I know that once my daughters became teens, shows about teenage sex lost their appeal. However, now that they're in their 20s, it's quite appealing once again. So just be patient.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

I don't generally have a problem with people who will at least watch 1 full episode before making up their mind (and I don't think anyone in this thread has been criticized for doing that). I just think it's asinine to think anyone can come to an educated conclusion about a show having watched LESS than 1 episode.

Exactly.

Imagine only watching the first 20 minutes of a movie like Audition? Of course you'd come out of it bored senseless...the movie is a classic slow-build and the payoff doesn't come until the last 15 minutes or so.

I'm not saying that Caprica is as good as Audition or that it has a similar payoff, but like Ken W says, it gets better and deeper as it moves along.

But hey, if 20 minutes is all someone needs to decide if an entire series is good, then all the more power to them I guess.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I've never understood people who would walk out of a movie theater early... and bailing 20 minutes into a 2 hour movie/pilot seems the same.

Now I've sat through some stinkers... but once I've decided to watch, I've already committed that time... so I give it a full chance to win me over. IF I don't like it after watching the whole thing... then it sticks firmly in my brain to avoid in the future.

Having said that... I found that I liked Caprica much more than I thought I would. I was VERY sure that I would not like it, until I sat and watched it.

Yeah baby!  It's Halloween!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

The smooth shiny look of shows like Caprica tend to leave me cold. That may have been intentional because, as I understand it, Caprica is supposed to be a place with pretty exteriors to hide an ugly interior of corruption and hypocrisy that we haven't seen yet. This is just what I've read. The pilot didn't demonstrate this very well.

I'm not sure that I know what you mean by "smooth and shiny look". The external shots of Caprica look to me as though they could be set in any major contemporary first world city (it was shot at various places around Vancouver). The only "smooth and shiny" locales were corporate office buildings and Graystone's modern lake side home, which looks like it was torn out of the pages of Architectural Digest, consistent with it being a wealthy man's house.

It's not really very futuristic, aside from a gadget here and there, like the folding paper PDA-like-thing, Graystone's household robot and the "holoband" virtual reality interface. (I recall scenes of pre-attack Caprica City in BSG as being full of flying vehicles not in evidence here; they must have come along in the fifty or sixty years between).

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
Old 01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it too much to ask that the actors speak their lines clearly? Volume is fine.

I'm left to reading lips these days.

Enough with the Emo already.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't have any problems understanding anyone...?
Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I sat through the full 2 hours, I won't waste my time again. Boring. I'm sick of "allegory" shows. I'm also sick of shows tossing everything at the plot and hoping something sticks. People like mob shows, lets toss in some otherworld mob guys. Let's toss in some political intrigue. Lets toss in some corrupt Govt. officials. Lets toss in some corporate greed. Oh, and lets toss in some religious fanatics for good measure. If I want to watch this crap I'll turn on the evening news. I want entertainment and something that might challenge me, this sure doesn't. Looks like the ratings are as crappy as the show. They should have spent some of the money they used on the great visuals to beef up the plot.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Might be kind of nice, actually, to get all those folks "out of the way" who are already so bored with it. That way we won't have to re-read every week how much crap got bored out of them during that week's episode, and the people who want to discuss the adult themes presented therein can do so without having to constantly defend the creative team from those who just don't, or won't, get it. The Network offers fare more to their liking with 'Eureka', 'W-13', and those terrific Saturday night movies in any event. Win-win.

I've never understood that dynamic.

There is a difference in my mind between being a fan of a particular show and pointing out a plot inconsistency or a particularly weak episode versus those people who supposedly dislike a show, and seem to feel the need to come back in to the discussion week after week to tell us how much they hate the show. I just find that a very odd behavior. What exactly is the point?

If I don't care for a particular show, I just will not post in that forum.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

I've never understood that dynamic.

There is a difference in my mind between being a fan of a particular show and pointing out a plot inconsistency or a particularly weak episode versus those people who supposedly dislike a show, and seem to feel the need to come back in to the discussion week after week to tell us how much they hate the show. I just find that a very odd behavior. What exactly is the point?

If I don't care for a particular show, I just will not post in that forum.

+999

Unfortunately the rule of internet + anonymity = crazy off the charts usually rules the day.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I'm in. Especially if that SMOKING HOT school marm (nun?) is around!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

I'm also in, and that school nun better show some skin soon!!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

I'm not sure that I know what you mean by "smooth and shiny look". The external shots of Caprica look to me as though they could be set in any major contemporary first world city (it was shot at various places around Vancouver).

They had a soft CGI look to them. I didn't see any ugly cars or leaves on the ground or dirty windows or garbage anywhere. Vancouver is a clean city but it never looked that good when I was there.

Quote:

The only "smooth and shiny" locales were corporate office buildings and Graystone's modern lake side home, which looks like it was torn out of the pages of Architectural Digest, consistent with it being a wealthy man's house.

With no one living in it! Not a scratch on a wall or any sign of wear and tear of a living household. Maybe the robot butlers run around keeping everything clean all day.

Quote:

It's not really very futuristic, aside from a gadget here and there, like the folding paper PDA-like-thing, Graystone's household robot and the "holoband" virtual reality interface. (I recall scenes of pre-attack Caprica City in BSG as being full of flying vehicles not in evidence here; they must have come along in the fifty or sixty years between).

Also the electronic tennis court. There were a few too many "Wow! The future!" moments.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:57 AM

I came here expecting mostly positive reviews I for one thought the Pilot was Great, Better than most pilots. I even liked it better than the BSG miniseries. I'm really looking forward to watching the rest of the season.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I for one liked this show and hope it makes it and continues on.
Viewers reactions from the season premiere seem to be very divided.
Lots of it was boring, I hate it blah blah, but also quite a few that liked as well.
Hopefully viewership will increase as more of the story unfolds.
Will be pissed if this show continues to be an intriguing series and is canceled due to poor ratings.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Will be pissed if this show continues to be an intriguing series and is canceled due to poor ratings.

I hope you're aware that for the most part, the odds of being canceled go up right along with the quality of the show. Hopefully, Moore has enough clout at the network to earn him some slack.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I hope you're aware that for the most part, the odds of being canceled go up right along with the quality of the show. Hopefully, Moore has enough clout at the network to earn him some slack.

Well, ratings for it were bottom-of-the-barrel. Of course, since the pilot has been out on video for a year, that might be part of the reason. Guess we'll see what happens when new episodes air. Besides, the BSG ratings were never stellar either, yet it stayed on. I mean, what else does SyFy have to show anyway.. STARGATE: COSMOS?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

I'm in. Especially if that SMOKING HOT school marm (nun?) is around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel L. View Post

I'm also in, and that school nun better show some skin soon!!

The actress, Polly Walker, portrayed Atia of the Julii, semi-fictional niece of Julius Caesar in the HBO series Rome. Atia is mother of Octavia and Octavian; Octavian is adopted as heir of childless Julius Caesar and eventually becomes Augustus Caesar.

You can see plenty of her skin in Rome; her character is introduced, 12 minutes into the first episode, in a brief but explicit sex scene, immediately followed by a full-frontal scene of her walking out of a sunken bath in front of her very embarrassed teen-aged son. She's frequently nude thereafter; her character is highly sensual and not at all modest.

It's a great series, one of my all-time favorites (for much more than its liberal dose of sex and nudity ). Sad that it only ran two seasons (too expensive for its ratings), but they knew they were getting the axe early in the second season and wrapped it up beautifully.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Well, ratings for it were bottom-of-the-barrel. Of course, since the pilot has been out on video for a year, that might be part of the reason. Guess we'll see what happens when new episodes air. Besides, the BSG ratings were never stellar either, yet it stayed on. I mean, what else does SyFy have to show anyway.. STARGATE: COSMOS?

I don't see how a less flashy spinoff of a series that never did well hopes to do well. I mean BSG had so much buzz, work of mouth, and critical praise and it still couldn't manage any kindof decent ratings.

I didn't really like the Caprica pilot at all (really, Cylons are just full of teen angst? Really?), but signed on for the series in hopes I will enjoy it more as it wears on and plots and characters develop.

Figured I'd give it a few episodes at least, but as soon as teenage robot girl starts getting depressed because she can't get a boyfriend, I am outta there.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Very few shows on "SyFy" run fewer than two seasons, regardless of ratings; even the truly awful Lexx ran for three seasons. It's not exactly a high-ratings network.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

It's a great series, one of my all-time favorites (for much more than its liberal dose of sex and nudity ). Sad that it only ran two seasons (too expensive for its ratings), but they knew they were getting the axe early in the second season and wrapped it up beautifully.

+1 for Rome. One of my all-time favorites as well.

And I've heard several people compare Caprica to Rome as well, in the sense that we're watching a civilization before the fall. There are other parallels as well, but it is an interesting comparison.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

I don't see how a less flashy spinoff of a series that never did well hopes to do well. I mean BSG had so much buzz, work of mouth, and critical praise and it still couldn't manage any kindof decent ratings.

I didn't really like the Caprica pilot at all (really, Cylons are just full of teen angst? Really?), but signed on for the series in hopes I will enjoy it more as it wears on and plots and characters develop.

Figured I'd give it a few episodes at least, but as soon as teenage robot girl starts getting depressed because she can't get a boyfriend, I am outta there.

I'll be right behind ya if that happens, for sure. What you said about BSG parallels another show on that network, with had a good buzz, word of mouth, critical praise, decent ratings, even two TV Guide covers! (And put the Sc-Fi channel on the map.) Yet it was cancelled after the 4th season. (Speaking, of course, of the late, lamented FARSCAPE). I guess four seasons is the tipping point for shows on the SyFy channel. If CAPRICA's ratings buzz around the 2 million mark, give or take, it will probably stay on the schedule...at least until Season Four!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Discussing Caprica is going to be difficult (or at least it could potentially be). This is the Caprica thread and not the BSG one, so we run the risk of spoiling something for someone who is just now working his/her way through BSG.

I'm seriously wondering how to handle that. The obvious answer is to not refer to BSG at all, but man there are so many tie-ins the temptation is going to be there.

Other opinions?

People should enter at their "own risk". Like you said there are many "tie ins", so the mentioning some of BSG's parts are inevitable.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
Old 01-27-2010, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by moob View Post

+1 for Rome. One of my all-time favorites as well.

And I've heard several people compare Caprica to Rome as well, in the sense that we're watching a civilization before the fall. There are other parallels as well, but it is an interesting comparison.

Before the fall? Rome went on for a few hundred years[476AD] after the show's timeline stopped, and was bigger then ever, granted it was no longer a Republic.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

People should enter at their "own risk". Like you said there are many "tie ins", so the mentioning some of BSG's parts are inevitable.

I do agree. I'm wondering if we should ask that the title of the thread be changed to reflect that type of caution.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Before the fall? Rome went on for a few hundred years[476AD] after the show's timeline stopped, and was bigger then ever, granted it was no longer a Republic.

My understanding is that Rome still exists today.

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't mean in terms of the actual fall, but rather the moments that you could look at as the turning points...the moments where they went wrong.

Caprica didn't actually fall for another 60 years.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

They had a soft CGI look to them. I didn't see any ugly cars or leaves on the ground or dirty windows or garbage anywhere. Vancouver is a clean city but it never looked that good when I was there.

With no one living in it! Not a scratch on a wall or any sign of wear and tear of a living household. Maybe the robot butlers run around keeping everything clean all day.

Also the electronic tennis court. There were a few too many "Wow! The future!" moments.

Like how people thought we would have flying cars by the year 2000? I for one thought it portrayed a real future not that far from ours. What do you expect earth to look like in 50 or 100 years? Think we will all be flying around like the jetsons. I doubt it.