'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' on ABC HD - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 87 Old 04-21-2009, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
He always has a repeat on Mondays. Today is new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 04-21-2009, 10:51 PM

tuned into this tonight for the first time in a few weeks...saw jimmy giggling like an idiot, then fencing with jerry o'connell. turned away for a few minutes and came back to what might be the worst band ive ever heard, chester french.

seriously how these yo yos got themselves on tv blows my mind...i was convinced it was a joke but apparently theyre a real band and theyre signed to star trak, pharrell from the neptunes' label..

i shouldnt be surprised really...4th rate band playing a 4th rate song on a 4th rate show

they seem to have sorted out the camera issues. while things are still a little soft and muted (and the colour palette is still super bland) at least things dont look like theyre soaked in molasses like they used to be. theres also a load of material in the surrounds. i think its one of the most aggressive "crowd noise"-heavy mixes out of any of the late night talk shows
post #63 of 87 Old 04-22-2009, 06:21 AM

No no no no.....that's Jimmy FALLON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the Jimmy KIMMEL thread. And I watched that and I thought Jerry O'Connell was actually really funny and so was the fencing display. Fallon isn't bad as long as you don't try to watch the monologue.
post #64 of 87 Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 AM

hahaha i just searched jimmy and clicked...whoops!

jimmy kimmel=funny
jimmy fallon=not
post #65 of 87 Old 04-22-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcope View Post

i think its one of the most aggressive "crowd noise"-heavy mixes out of any of the late night talk shows

That's to try and influence the audience into thinking that the show and the material's better and funnier than it actually is.
post #66 of 87 Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 168
If you missed tonight's "JKL!" you missed a classic: Jay Leno guest-hosted the hour (his band played a riff behind every... single... joke):

Yep, that's Chevy Chase as Conan!
post #67 of 87 Old 01-13-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

If you missed tonight's "JKL!" you missed a classic: Jay Leno guest-hosted the hour (his band played a riff behind every... single... joke)

I missed the beginning, what was the reason for Kimmel to be Leno?

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #68 of 87 Old 01-13-2010, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Dammit, I missed it. I was busy watching Conan. When does ABC replay JKL?
post #69 of 87 Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

It was basically a 'F*** You' to NBC and Leno for the way Conan was being treated when it became clear Conan would lose his show (the statement by O'Brien pretty much signals this). Between Kimmel, Lopez, Letterman, Ferguson and Conan (Fallon is still too green and sweet to s*** where he eats, plus he had Ringo Starr last night) the brotherhood of late night hosts both (a) showed solidarity with their fellow comic's woes (Conan) and (b) bloodied Leno a little hoping he's damaged goods by the time he returns to "Tonight Show" in March. The Kimmel parody was more than just a joke though, it was a dissection and thorough exposure of just how lame and limited Leno's comedy range is on a nightly bases. Bandleader Cleto's take on Kevin Eubanks alone was worth staying up late last night and yes, ABC will repeat this pretty soon (my guess is next or the following Monday).
post #70 of 87 Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

leno is being skewered by everyone.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-entire-show/1

Comcast, E.D.L.
post #71 of 87 Old 01-13-2010, 06:32 AM

Kimmel is a very funny comedian. He would make a better host of the Tonight Show than Conan.

Does anyone remember the "I'm F***ING MATT DAMON" song? Then he one-upped himself and got Brad Pitt and Harrison Ford to sing "I'm F***ING BEN AFFLECK".

Kimmel was funny back when he was on FOX doing the NFL show. Great comedian.
post #72 of 87 Old 01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

Dammit, I missed it. I was busy watching Conan. When does ABC replay JKL?

you can watch on hulu. I plan on doing so when I get home, this sounds absolutely hilarious.

xbox live/PSN: Chad473
post #73 of 87 Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

It was basically a 'F*** You' to NBC and Leno for the way Conan was being treated when it became clear Conan would lose his show (the statement by O'Brien pretty much signals this). Between Kimmel, Lopez, Letterman, Ferguson and Conan (Fallon is still too green and sweet to s*** where he eats, plus he had Ringo Starr last night) the brotherhood of late night hosts both (a) showed solidarity with their fellow comic's woes (Conan) and (b) bloodied Leno a little hoping he's damaged goods by the time he returns to "Tonight Show" in March. The Kimmel parody was more than just a joke though, it was a dissection and thorough exposure of just how lame and limited Leno's comedy range is on a nightly bases. Bandleader Cleto's take on Kevin Eubanks alone was worth staying up late last night and yes, ABC will repeat this pretty soon (my guess is next or the following Monday).

Thanks.

post #74 of 87 Old 03-07-2010, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wow.

If you didn't just see it, you'll hear about it tomorrow. Kimmel's Oscar night show had a skit about the 'Handsome Club'. Hilarious.

post #75 of 87 Old 03-07-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Wow.

If you didn't just see it, you'll hear about it tomorrow. Kimmel's Oscar night show had a skit about the 'Handsome Club'. Hilarious.

Probably one of the most funny late-night skits since Carson.

Simple brilliant.
post #76 of 87 Old 03-07-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelLines View Post

Probably one of the most funny late-night skits since Carson.

Simple brilliant.

Agree.

The talent alone was staggering.

Ben Affleck
Matt Damon
Sting
Tony Romo
John Krasinski
Lenny Kravitz
Patrick Dempsey
and a few more I can't remember or didn't know.

post #77 of 87 Old 04-24-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Kimmel is most certainly not HD in my market, it's fair SD at that. I saw a reference earlier in the thread about some non-O&O stations(Hubbard in my area) tape delaying the broadcast and therefor it might not be in HD. My question is, is their a listing somewhere of what markets actually broadcast a particular show in HD?
What's odd to me is my local channel (KSTP) has recently upgraded it's local newscasts to HD, which tells me that have the capability to store and rebroadcast HD, and yet the Kimmel show is in SD
I have the capability of time delaying my HD and keeping it HD(with my Tivo HD) is it so hard for a major network to have something similar as a $200 Tivo or a $500 HTPC with a capture card? Yes I know the Tivo only has RF input which wouldn't work for a network station, that's why I mentioned a PC and card with maybe component inputs.
post #78 of 87 Old 04-24-2010, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

My question is, is their a listing somewhere of what markets actually broadcast a particular show in HD?

Not really.

Quote:

What's odd to me is my local channel (KSTP) has recently upgraded it's local newscasts to HD, which tells me that have the capability to store and rebroadcast HD, and yet the Kimmel show is in SD

Just because they can do local news in HD doesn't mean they can time shift network programs in HD.

Quote:

I have the capability of time delaying my HD and keeping it HD(with my Tivo HD) is it so hard for a major network to have something similar as a $200 Tivo or a $500 HTPC with a capture card?

Not hard, just very expensive. Last time I heard it was into 5 figures.

Why not call the station manager and see what's up?

post #79 of 87 Old 04-24-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why not call the station manager and see what's up?

I have a phone number for a engineer at KSTP, I'll have to find it and give him a call next week. He used to occasionally post on our hometown forum before it went black, a nice guy really. Hopefully he'll have an answer.
My Tivo HD picks up quite a bit from Kimmel and it would sure be nice if it were in HD.
post #80 of 87 Old 04-25-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Not really.
Just because they can do local news in HD doesn't mean they can time shift network programs in HD.
Not hard, just very expensive. Last time I heard it was into 5 figures.

So why can't the station use a home unit?
So why can't a manufacture build a budget unit using home unit technology?
So why can't the station re-record it using widescreen SD? The SD sports programs from Europe look pretty good.

Kevin
post #81 of 87 Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post

So why can't the station use a home unit?
So why can't a manufacture build a budget unit using home unit technology?

This question comes up quite often. The reasons are many, the first being that the home units are usually just taking an already compressed stream and depositing it on a hard drive -- the only real hardware in the box is a decoder for playback, which is not very demanding or expensive. In the broadcast environment, most everything is passed around in uncompressed form, so in order to record a network feed, you need to take the 1.4 Gbps data stream from the receiver and then pass that through to a server that can accept it.

Once you have it on the server, you need a way to play it back to air -- that means you need a way to control the box frame-accurately via automation, and the box also needs to be able to genlock to the station's reference. You are not going to find this on a TiVo. Oh, and since a station needs redundancy, they need to have two systems playing back in tandem (unless they are willing to have no programming).

Here is an example of something that will do the job nicely ... but it is not cheap (be sure to check out the pictures of the back panel):

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/k2_media_client
post #82 of 87 Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Nope that doesn't look like the back of my Tivo at all
To a laymen what we want sounds rather easy, but of course it's never that easy Thanks for the link.
post #83 of 87 Old 06-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Great PQ on tonights episode.
post #84 of 87 Old 08-23-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Obituary
Jimmy Kimmel Live's Uncle Frank Dead at 77
By Marianne Garvey, Eonline.com - August 23rd, 2011

RIP Uncle Frank.

Jimmy Kimmel's lovable uncle Frank Potenza, who was both a security guard and hysterical sidekick for Jimmy Kimmel Live! died earlier today a spokesperson for the show confirms to E! News. Details on his death weren't made immediately clear.

How is the show's staff handling the loss?

A spokesperson for the talk show told E! News they are mourning the loss of Frank and talked about how he got his start on the show from his famous nephew.

"It is with great sadness that the staff and crew of Jimmy Kimmel Live! mourn the loss of Uncle Frank Potenza," a rep for the show said. "[Uncle Frank] was a veteran of the Korean War who worked 20 years as a New York City police officer, 20 years as a security guard at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas and five years in secuirty at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York."

VIDEO: Check out Uncle Frank in action.

It was in 2003 that Uncle Frank would become famous, after Kimmel asked him to move to Los Angeles to join his talk show that was about to start. He would be a security guard/show contributor.

The gig worked, and Frank went on to have a nine-year run, pairing up with Guillermo Rodriguez, a real-life parking lot security guard for the show.

"He was beloved by his coworkers and considered an uncle to all," said the show's spokesperson. "His kindness and humor will be missed by everyone he touched."

Kimmel has been retweeting kind tweets about his uncle, and wrote on Twitter himself today: "thank you fo ryour kind words about a very kind man- my UNcle Frank- who passed away this morning."

Kimmel's ex-girlfriend, Sarah Silverman, also tweeted about the hilarious Frank, saying: "RIP the beloved Uncle Frank. NYC cop, security guard, father to 3, husband to 1 & Uncle to everyone."

Uncle Frank is survived by his three daughters and newborn granddaughter, Franki.

http://www.eonline.com/news/jimmy_ki...dead_77/259728
post #85 of 87 Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The last time I watched (a few months back), Frank was sitting on some type of motorized-chair. It was clear he was ill, but I had no idea just how much. R.I.P

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #86 of 87 Old 03-26-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Jimmy Kimmel to host the Emmys
By Ann Oldenburgh, USA Today - Mar. 26, 2012

ABC announced today that late-night jokester Jimmy Kimmel just got a prime-time gig: host of the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards.

He'll do the honors on Sept. 23 at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. It'll be his first time hosting the Emmys.

ABC also announced Monday that director and producer Don Mischer will executive produce the Emmy telecast. Mischer recently directed and produced the Academy Awards.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...o-host-emmys/1
post #87 of 87 Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

From the "Hot Off The Press" Thread (top of 'HDTV Programming' page). cool.gif

TV Notes
Jimmy Kimmel faces Leno and Letterman head-on in January
By Gary Levin, USA Today - Aug. 21, 2012

Jimmy Kimmel has long sought the same late-evening slot as rivals Jay Leno and David Letterman, and now he's getting his wish.

ABC today announced plans to move Jimmy Kimmel Live to 11:35 p.m. ET/PT, bumping Nightline an hour later to 12:35 a.m., starting Jan. 8.

As a consolation prize, Nightline will resume a prime-time edition Fridays at 9 starting March 1, and will expand to 30 minutes nightly. (Kimmel has aired at midnight since February 2011, shortening Nightline by about five minutes and prompting the news magazine's first prime-time run last summer.)

Kimmel's show is celebrating its 10th anniversary next year, and the comedian's profile has expanded of late: He hosted this year's White House Correspondents Dinner to generally favorable reaction, and will host his first Emmy Awards telecast on ABC Sept. 23.

"I have been quietly hoping for this," he says. "It's a thrill to go up against the big guys, and you feel like when you go up against the big guys you're hosting a real talk show and not a talk-show fantasy camp. In any job, you want to please your employer, and I think this is about as good a vote of confidence as we could get."

Even in the later time slot, Kimmel has slowly climbed in the ratings, up 3% last season, while The Tonight Show With Jay Leno and The Late Show With David Letterman both lost viewers, although they remain about twice as popular. ("The more the merrier," Letterman said in a statement. "We like Jimmy, we know he'll do a fine program, and we wish him well.")

"In the past year we've seen growth, and that's more important as other shows have lost viewers or remained flat," says Anne Sweeney, president of Disney ABC Television Group. "His viral videos are now legendary, and he's really in the zeitgeist. It does feel like the time to move him is now."

But she conceded the slot switch has more to do with making money than making Kimmel happy, and ABC's local stations agree, noting Kimmel is on the upswing. "When you give Leno and Letterman a half-hour head start, it means they've never been on equal footing," says Dave Boylan, general manager of Miami's WPLG.

The move is being delayed until January to allow Nightline to capitalize on the presidential election; cable sibling ESPN's college football championship, culminating Jan. 7, will be used to promote the switch. But Nightline, which began in 1980 as a series of specials during the Iranian hostage crisis, has morphed from a hard-news single-topic broadcast, with Ted Koppel as its host until 2005, to a softer, multi-segment show that more closely resembles prime-time newsmagazines. It had faced cancellation at least once before, when ABC attempted to hire Letterman in 2002, winning a reprieve when he opted to stay at CBS.

Rumors of the slot switch or of Nightline's demise have cropped up for years, each time Kimmel's contract talks heated up. This time it worked, and his pact, due to expire in February, has been renegotiated and extended for two years. (Despite its title, the show has been taped since midway through its first season.)

Kimmel says he's "done a good job of convincing them over a very long period of time" that he was ready to kick off the network's late-night block, though even with an expected ratings bump at the earlier hour, "it's entirely possible we'll stay in third" place. Still, at 44, he'll usher in a new generation of 11:35 hosts; NBC's Jimmy Fallon, 37, is also being groomed to eventually succeed Leno, 62.

Acknowledging his tenuous tenure at ABC, Kimmel says, "If they'd done this five years ago, it probably would have been a mistake; I probably wasn't ready for 11:30 at that time. It's hard to be patient, but in this case, I think patience paid off for both parties."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/story/2012-08-21/jimmy-kimmel-nightline/57189730/1
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page