Telemundo HD now live! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
TELEMUNDO BECOMES FIRST SPANISH-LANGUAGE NETWORK TO BROADCAST NATIONALLY IN HIGH DEFINITION

2009 Billboard Latin Music Awards to be Network's First HD Broadcast

MIAMI - March 31, 2009 - Telemundo, a leading producer of innovative and high-quality content for Hispanics in the U.S. and around the world, announced today that the network will have the capability to broadcast in high definition (HD) across the nation beginning April 2009. Telemundo is the first Spanish-language network to offer HD content both at the local and network levels. The first Spanish-language broadcast will be the 2009 Billboard Latin Music Awards on April 23, 2009, after which Telemundo will expand its HD broadcast offerings to a selection of its prime time novelas, sports broadcasts and specials.

"Telemundo has been a leader in producing original content in the U.S. and once again is raising the bar in Spanish-language television," said Don Browne, President, Telemundo. "The quality of our original content together with the talent and expertise of our engineers allow us to provide a unique TV experience. This exceptional quality will clearly differentiate ourselves to our viewers, distributors and advertising clients."

Telemundo will be the first Spanish-language network to broadcast an entire full-length novela in HD with the premiere of "Mas Sabe El Diablo." Novela "Doña Barbara," and select sports broadcasts will also be broadcast in HD. The network is planning to broadcast 100% of its prime time programming in HD in addition to movies it acquires and other specials.

According to a study conducted in December 2008 by Telemundo's Pulse Research Panel, over three-fourths of respondents expressed that they are early adopters of new technology. Almost half of the panel members own a widescreen HD television. In light of this research, it is of utmost importance to Telemundo to be where its viewers want to be - in HD.

Telemundo is addressing a significant gap which exists in the Spanish-language marketplace with regard to providing HD content to viewers. The improved broadcast quality of HD programming enables Telemundo to deliver high-level entertainment content to its viewers.

Producing content in HD and having the ability to broadcast in HD gives Telemundo a new competitive advantage when working with advertisers and marketers. Advertisers will be able to see their ads air in HD on the network, and the format will enrich the network's storytelling capabilities. All Telemundo content produced in HD will be automatically ready for multiplatform use and distribution.

"By introducing HD content to Telemundo's audience, we are committing ourselves to deliver the same quality content that the English-language networks provide, while setting the standards for top notch production value in our industry," said Derek Bond, Senior Executive Vice President, Telemundo Studios, Production and Broadcast Operations. "Our team of engineers has worked tirelessly to build the distribution platform to make HD broadcast a reality for Telemundo. Our efforts are producing the quality that Spanish-language audiences deserve."

Nine of the network's owned and operated stations will pass the network HD signal. HD content will initially be available in Los Angeles, Miami, Las Vegas, Chicago, New York, Dallas, San Francisco, Houston and Puerto Rico. The remaining Owned and Operated stations will be delivering HD programming over the next 12 months.

###

About Telemundo
Telemundo, a U.S. Spanish-language television network, is the essential entertainment, news, and sports source for Hispanics and a leading international player in the entertainment industry with presence in more than 100 countries worldwide. Broadcasting unique national and local programming for the fastest-growing segment of the U.S. population, Telemundo reaches 93% of U.S. Hispanic viewers in 210 markets through its 16 owned-and-operated stations, 45 broadcast affiliates, and 800 cable affiliates. Telemundo is wholly owned by NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Awesome. Way to go.
post #3 of 47 Old 03-31-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
BANDA EL RECODO, CRISTIAN CASTRO AND LA QUINTA ESTACION JOIN DON OMAR AND PAULINA RUBIO AS PART OF THE EXCLUSIVE LINE-UP OF PERFORMERS AT THE 2009 BILLBOARD LATIN MUSIC AWARDS PRESENTED BY STATE FARM®

The Awards Show will air live in High Definition on Telemundo, the first time a Spanish-language network broadcasts nationally in true HD

Miami · March 23, 2009 /PRNewswire/ Latin music stars, Banda El Recodo, Cristian Castro and La Quinta Estación have confirmed their appearances as exclusive performers at the 2009 Billboard Latin Music Awards presented by State Farm. They join recently announced exclusive performers, King of Reggaeton, Don Omar and the Golden Girl, Paulina Rubio, who are also scheduled to take part in this magnum event. The ceremony will take place on Thursday, April 23 at 7PM/6c from The BankUnited Center at the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida. The Awards Show will air live in High Definition on Telemundo, the first Hispanic network to broadcast in true HD.

Carlos Santana, this year's recipient of the Billboard Lifetime Achievement Award and Daddy Yankee, who will receive the Billboard Spirit of Hope Award, also confirmed their appearances to the award ceremony that will be hosted by Aylin Mujica (Sin Senos no hay Paraiso) and Alan Tacher (Levantate).

Additional performers will be announced soon. Details of the impressive event can be found at the official site of the 2009 Billboard Latin Music Awards presented by State Farm Telemundo.com

The Billboard Latin Music Awards presented by State Farm are the culmination of the 20th annual Billboard Latin Music Conference, presented by State Farm in association with Verizon, which takes place April 20-23 in Miami Beach, Florida. For more information on the conference, please visit www.billboardlatinconference.com.

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/billboardlatin/37591/

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #4 of 47 Old 03-31-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Great! Now to wait for Comcast to add it to my lineup.
post #5 of 47 Old 03-31-2009, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
TWC-NYC already announced a week ago that they were adding the NYC affiliate of Telemundo in HD on 4/23... guess they couldn't wait for the official announcement....
post #6 of 47 Old 03-31-2009, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I hope the local station goes HD along ... I can barely see the analog channel...

They still haven't SD yet here (EP TX)

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #7 of 47 Old 03-31-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Will the Mexican League soccer matches be televised in high-def? Does anyone know if the original feed from Televisa and Azteca in Mexico comes in high-def to the States? Mexican soccer is the only thing I watch in Telemundo and if it's going to be upconverted SD then the movie to HD is really no big deal!
post #8 of 47 Old 03-31-2009, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

good news, any updates for D* carrying this station in HD??

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT Vz or D*
post #9 of 47 Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I checked today and Telemundo's NYC station WNJU-DT has switched to 1080i.
This is a big improvement over the old 4mps SD feed they were broadcasting.
post #10 of 47 Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 AM

I'm just glad there will be more to offer than the local news in HD,which is the only thing Telemundo currently has to offer in that format. GOod to know it's aiming to be a legit HD channel.
post #11 of 47 Old 04-01-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Will the Mexican League soccer matches be televised in high-def? Does anyone know if the original feed from Televisa and Azteca in Mexico comes in high-def to the States? Mexican soccer is the only thing I watch in Telemundo and if it's going to be upconverted SD then the movie to HD is really no big deal!

Not Televisa, they are their sworn enemy, because Televisa is Univision..

And Televisa featured the worst HD soccer game in history last Saturday, my eyes still hurting, if you think pixelization in NBC is bad, you didn't see this game.. LOL

Now it could happen with Azteca partnership, but Azteca went from pioneering a 24/7 HD channel to a 24/7 SD channel, I don't know what's their problem they can't even show soccer games in HD anymore (including last Mexico's game)

Didn't also Telemundo was broadcasting HD news somewhere in CA? I think I saw some screenshots a while ago..

post #12 of 47 Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Didn't also Telemundo was broadcasting HD news somewhere in CA? I think I saw some screenshots a while ago..

Yes

AVS Forum Fold@Home Team Enter Team # 55280 when u download
post #13 of 47 Old 04-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Not Televisa, they are their sworn enemy, because Televisa is Univision..

For a while I've some Televisa Soccer games on Telemundo. I think this might have to do with the Televisa-Univision feud that was going on a while ago. I've seen that Telemundo shows Chivas games and I think I saw an Atlante game once.

Quote:

And Televisa featured the worst HD soccer game in history last Saturday, my eyes still hurting, if you think pixelization in NBC is bad, you didn't see this game.. LOL

Yeah, I saw that game too, and it did look bad. It seems to me that Televisa uses combinations of HD widescreen, and SD cameras.

Quote:

Now it could happen with Azteca partnership, but Azteca went from pioneering a 24/7 HD channel to a 24/7 SD channel, I don't know what's their problem they can't even show soccer games in HD anymore (including last Mexico's game)

Sometimes TV Azteca shows games in HD. I don't know which ones Telemundo shows, but they usually look good in HD on TV Azteca.

Well anyway, here some pictures of the Mexican League Soccer games on Televisa and TV Azteca.

post #14 of 47 Old 04-04-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Logical move by NBCU as Telemundo may end up being their most watched broadcast network.
post #15 of 47 Old 04-04-2009, 06:54 PM

will directv carry this hd channel?
post #16 of 47 Old 04-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 62
HD is great, but I just wish they'd give us english translation captioning...sometimes I really want to know what's so funny LOL

thread closed
post #17 of 47 Old 04-04-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Maybe SAP in english. Would that be EAP?
post #18 of 47 Old 04-04-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

HD is great, but I just wish they'd give us english translation captioning...sometimes I really want to know what's so funny LOL

Actually I remember Telemundo was experimenting with English captions over CC3 during their telenovelas a few years ago. I'm not sure if they're still doing that or not. Univision did it for their reality show/beauty contest 'Nuestra Belleza Latina' but I haven't seen them do it on anything else.
post #19 of 47 Old 04-05-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride View Post

will directv carry this hd channel?

I'm guessing Telemundo offers a 24/7 feed for those who don't have a Telemundo station in their broadcast area?
If so I would think they would offer a 24/7 HD feed even if not all the shows are HD yet.
post #20 of 47 Old 04-05-2009, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Only the other way around.
post #21 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Suprised that no one has mentioned this yet. I flipped through the channels and found Telemundo's inaugural HD presentation of the Latin Billboard Music Awards show. I am extremely impressed with the quality of their HD presentation. It looks like early pristene CBS telecasts from many years ago. Comparing it to my other locals, it looks as good as the best channel, and is better than most. Even a concert stage setting with strobes and fire didn't have the pixelation we are now seeing as so common on the other networks. Lets hope they keep the quality up to this standard, instead of watering it down like everyone else.

Good job so far Telemundo!

vegggas
post #22 of 47 Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...DTV_Charge.php

Quote:

Telemundo Leads HDTV Charge
Billboard Latin Music Awards to Kick Off Network's High-Def Push
by Laura Martinez -- Multichannel News, 4/21/2009 1:21:45 PM MT

NBC Universal's Telemundo this week is expected to make TV history as the first Spanish-language network to broadcast nationally in high-definition.

For the occasion, the network has picked the highly rated Billboard Latin Music Awards, now in its 20th year. Ceremonies will air live from Miami's Bank United Center on April 23 at 7 p.m. (ET).

Later this year, Telemundo is also expected to become the first Spanish-language network to broadcast an entire full-length telenovela in HD with the premiere of Más sabe el Diablo.

Also available on HD will be Doña Bárbara (currently on the air) and other primetime programming. However, not all of Telemundo affiliates are expected to join the HD push right away.

According to Telemundo, nine of the network's owned-and-operated stations will deliver its HD signal. High-definition content will initially be available in Los Angeles, Miami, Las Vegas, Chicago, New York, Dallas, San Francisco, Houston and Puerto Rico.
The remaining O&Os will launch HD programming over the next 12 months.

News of Telemundo's HD plans was followed by Univision's announcement that it will air its entire slate of 2010 FIFA World Cup soccer games from South Africa in HDTV across the Univision network and broadcast brethren TeleFutura, as well as the Univision and TeleFutura station groups

vegggas
post #23 of 47 Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 PM

Anybody happen to have a list of shows that are airing in HD on Telemundo. Just recently stumbled onto a spanish soap opera "Mas Sabe El Diablo." The colors look great and does not have a soft look compared to the "Young and the Restless."
post #24 of 47 Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Last night soccer game was in SD, at least they didn't letterboxed like TV Azteca, I couldn't be sure if the game had HD cameras at all I can't get Televisa's ch. 5 in HD.

We recently got the Digital signal here in El Paso, but I still yet to see anything in HD..

post #25 of 47 Old 06-11-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluis View Post

Anybody happen to have a list of shows that are airing in HD on Telemundo. Just recently stumbled onto a spanish soap opera "Mas Sabe El Diablo." The colors look great and does not have a soft look compared to the "Young and the Restless."

"Niños Ricos Pobres Padres" (90210 remake) will be in HD with English Subs, also "Los Victorinos" with English subs.
post #26 of 47 Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonv View Post

"Niños Ricos Pobres Padres" (90210 remake) will be in HD with English Subs, also "Los Victorinos" with English subs.

Cool. i will have to check those out. For reference quality and not just the ladies.
post #27 of 47 Old 06-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Actually if you search youtube for Telemundo HD You'll find quite a few results. Most of the Primetime telenovelas should be HD. Also some of the Fútbol games that air on there might also be HD. I Know that Televisa and TV Azteca air some of them in HD. Unfortunately here In El Paso Telemundo isn't available in HD. We only get it in 480i.
post #28 of 47 Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

What are the techinical limitations for a 480i station transmitting 720p or 1080i? I know bandwidth is a most, but Telemundo 48 doesn't have any sub-channel and can use the whole bandwith spectrum, unless their antenna is uncappable of generating the bandwidth for the HD signal..

post #29 of 47 Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Telemundo Expands HD Programming

Spanish-Language Broadcaster to Double Output

by George Winslow -- Multichannel News, 7/7/2009 2:37:33 PM EDT

Telemundo has doubled its primetime high-definition programming and is now airing two telenovelas in the format each evening, Monday through Friday.

"Half of our primetime programming is now in HD and we are looking to have the entire primetime schedule in HD probably over the next 12 to 24 months," said senior executive vice president of Telemundo Studios and production and broadcast operations Derek Bond.

Telemundo became the first national Spanish-language broadcaster to offer some programming in true HD on April 29, with the broadcast of the 2009 Billboard Latin Music Awards. It subsequently aired some specials and two novelas, Doña Bárbara and Mas Sabe El Diablo (pictured) in HD. Since June 23, it has aired two hours of novelas in HD each weeknight.

Adding more HD programming is likely to be a gradual process, though, with the time frame dependent "on the economy and advertising coming back," Bond said.

"In 2010, the next big play will be to build our first HD control room here at the network for our live television and sports, and to transition more of the studio structure where we produce our novelas and daytime shows to HD," Bond said. "Hopefully, before or at least by the time Univision comes out with their World Cup coverage in HD in 2010, the soccer games and any other sporting events [that come out of the Hialeah, Fla., network operations center] will be done in HD."

Planning for the control room is still in the early stages and no decisions have been made on vendors or equipment. While they've used some integrators in the past, it seems likely that the project will be handled in-house, possibly with some help from parent company NBC Universal.

A late 2008 study by Telemundo found that nearly half of their audience had HD sets and Telemundo executives hope HD programming will help them gain market share from the Hispanic market ratings leader Univision, which will be making the move to HD next year with its World Cup coverage.

"Our audience is a very brand loyal audience, so being the first with HD programming will allow us to build up a loyal audience by showing them we have higher quality original programming," Bond said.

Ken Wilkey, senior vice president network broadcast operations, added that Telemundo has also been working to establish itself as an innovator on the station level. In 2007, owned-and-operated KVEA became the first Los Angeles station to offer a local newscast in HD, beating out all the other English and Spanish stations in the market. In 2008, NBC's Miami duopoly -- the English-language NBC affiliate WTVJ and Telemundo's WSCV -- simultaneously became the first stations in that market to offer local HD newscasts, according to Wilkey.

Still, Wilkey stressed that the move to HD will be a lengthy process, as it has been at the English-language broadcasters. Currently two Telemundo O&Os are offering local newscasts in HD and nine of the 16 Telemundo owned and operated stations are transmitting an HD feed of Telemundo's programming. Portions of the schedule not shot in HD are being upconverted to 1080i.

"We've focused on the largest markets, and now we're evaluating what makes sense for the other markets," either in terms of launching local news or adding an HD feed, Wilkey said.

With the expanded HD programming lineup, Wilkey said he also expects some other Telemundo affiliates to begin launching high-definition telecasts.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...rogramming.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #30 of 47 Old 07-08-2009, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The sad part is that our local station will be probably the last one to broadcast in 1080i, heck we don't even have a local station it's just a repeater antenna.

Although they may surprise us and change it to HD before Univision local does..

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page