Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 159 Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

IAfter Phil died there seems to be an effort to juice things up by adding lowbrow reality TV aspects mixed in with the crab fishing. Thus we now have Elliot's hapless love life and the changed Freddy "Lucha Libre" Maugatai.

I watched the following season after Capt. Phil's passing(mainly out of habit not interest) and decided then that was enough and had an inking the direction the show was heading and seems like I guessed right.

RIP Capt. Phil

JERRY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
AhHahahahaha, Elliott needs his own show. (no, kidding really....) Christ...
actionpotential likes this.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #153 of 159 Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post

My wife is absolutely addicted to this show, which means when it's on, we watch it. (I REALLY have to finish getting the second setup done!) Have to admit, I liked it when we first started watching it (about 4-5 seasons ago) but it's just so repetitive now. Each time it's an hour where an accident on deck will get blown massively out of proportion and replayed a half a dozen times, each time one of the captains will be struggling to find crab while his crew moans and complains, a greenhorn will realize that crab fishing isn't for him, an arctic storm or ice bears down on the fleet, and on one of the boats one of the crew members needs to have "an attitude adjustment". Sprinkle in cheeky hijinks on the Time Bandit, a tweedle-dee-dee music of the Northwestern, and the occasional family soap opera, and you have the formula for the next episode.

That said, the greenhorn thing on the Wizard this past episode was way over the top. I can understand the need to "earn" the respect of a crew. These guys have been in extremely dangerous situations, and have proven to each other that they have each others' backs. When someone new comes onto the scene, you need to know if they'll act in the best interests of the team, as opposed to acting in their own best interests, without stopping to think about it.

But what they did to the kid bordered on abuse. But perhaps the worst part of it was that they seemed to flat out REVEL in it. Everyone made such a big deal about the kid "sucker punching" Freddy, but nothing at all was made about the fact that Freddy had previously hurled an octopus at the kid when he wasn't paying attention. (Which sounds humorous, but that would friggin HURT - imagine getting your face slapped HARD when it's freezing cold and wet?) Everything Freddy did - the insults, the threats, and the actual physical side - was not only tolerated, not only supported, but actually PRAISED by the man who's supposedly responsible for the safety and well being of his crew.

What's interesting is the fact that all this was caught on camera and broadcast. Genuinely think that the kid does actually have a legal case if he decided to sue Keith and the Wizard.
post #154 of 159 Old 07-25-2013, 08:44 AM

Liked: 10
I agree with all you say. It's good to know that others think keith is a bully as well. I've lost a lot of respect for Freddy too: he called the Cornelia Marie frew his 'family' when he left that boat; now the Wizard crew has become his 'family'! And he's asked keith to be his child's godfather! !? Not a very good role model.
post #155 of 159 Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
From what was shown in the episodes, the greenhorn on Keith's boat kept his head down and worked hard. His only "problem" was not getting a haircut (mohawk).

If it were me, I probably would have just gotten the cut and moved on. But he didn't want to -- that's fine -- but he didn't deserve the treatment he got.
post #156 of 159 Old 07-30-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Watching the show right now, they played the call about the hand injury made to the coast guard. Someone got their had caught in the fish grinder, this isnt going to be pretty.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #157 of 159 Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Memo to myself: Don't get your hand caught in a bait grinder.
post #158 of 159 Old 04-22-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 76

Heads up! Season 10 starts tonight. There is the one hour "The Bait" episode followed by a two hour episode 1.

post #159 of 159 Old 04-22-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think "The Bait" should be more of a post-show thing ... more like "Talking Dead/Bad" ... Interviews/clips & discussion about the episode just seen ...
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page