post #91 of 299 Old 04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-I-G-I-T-A-L View Post

More fancy graphics still same annoying Johnathan Coachman, and lame blurry sidebars, and ESPHD black bars.

whats wrong with the pillars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 299 Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so when is the new bottom line going to come back....I really liked the new look it looked like ESPNNews
post #93 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Well, I won't be watching much of the LA Sportscenters. Not because of graphics, productions and the like, but because it appears they are top-heavy with Stuart Scott, who may just be the WORST broadcaster in TV history. I don't like reaching for my gangsta-slang dictionary whenever I watch my sports highlights. And if that's politically incorrect then tell me what else you would call what he does?

I don't mind the graphics and bottom line though - I've become pretty immune to these subtles changes in the age of info overload.
post #94 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Sangs,

I agree anytime I see Stewart Scott I change the channel I don't know how this guy still has a job in broadcasting.
post #95 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

Sangs,

I agree anytime I see Stewart Scott I change the channel I don't know how this guy still has a job in broadcasting.

Hey, the kids love him apparently.

Now, I'm not an old fuddy duddy (39) and I get that guys need a shtick to be recognized, but his is so beyond awful that I cannot describe. I tried to like him when I learned about his glass eye and that he battled cancer (and won), but I couldn't even muster some sympathy watching. I will admit to saying "Boo-ya!" a few times though, but that started about 10 years ago.
post #96 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Hey, the kids love him apparently.

Now, I'm not an old fuddy duddy (39) and I get that guys need a shtick to be recognized, but his is so beyond awful that I cannot describe. I tried to like him when I learned about his glass eye and that he battled cancer (and won), but I couldn't even muster some sympathy watching. I will admit to saying "Boo-ya!" a few times though, but that started about 10 years ago.

I would suggest you reading the book about how ESPN came about I forget the title but this guy along with others really gives ESPN a black eye. I am not sure why woman still work there.
post #97 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would suggest you reading the book about how ESPN came about I forget the title but this guy along with others really gives ESPN a black eye. I am not sure why woman still work there.

Oh, I read it. ESPN - The Uncensored History by Mike Freeman. Problem, is I know the writer and had a beef with him a few years back when he was with the NY Times. (I used to cover the NFL for a newspaper.) He's a bit of a back-stabbing hack.
post #98 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangs View Post

Oh, I read it. ESPN - The Uncensored History by Mike Freeman. Problem, is I know the writer and had a beef with him a few years back when he was with the NY Times. (I used to cover the NFL for a newspaper.) He's a bit of a back-stabbing hack.

That is interesting do you think some of the stuff in the book was made up?
post #99 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is interesting do you think some of the stuff in the book was made up?

Oh, I wouldn't say that. There have certainly been enough stories detailing the hijinx at ESPN over the years (Olberman, Tirico, Gary Miller) for me to believe most of it is true. But I'm betting some embelishment happened in the book. Plus Freeman was busted for lying on his resume. It cost him a job with the Indy Star.
post #100 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-I-G-I-T-A-L View Post

More fancy graphics still same annoying Johnathan Coachman, and lame blurry sidebars, and ESPHD black bars.

Coachman should go back to WWE.

Oh no! There better not be more of that. I liked the new bottom line graphics(on all the channels), but if they dump the plain, dark "ESPNHD" sidebars in favor of that blur crap, the channel is dead to me!
post #101 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 09:40 AM

I don't get the comments about "blurry sidebars"... This is ESPN we're talking about. Same ESPNHD and ESPN2HD sidebars as always.
post #102 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I think they mean when they put a 4:3 picture in the center of the screen and then fill the wings with picture from the same image dramatically blurred to create a window-type effect in the wings. I have no idea why that would be offensive to the eye.
post #103 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

I think they mean when they put a 4:3 picture in the center of the screen and then fill the wings with picture from the same image dramatically blurred to create a window-type effect in the wings. I have no idea why that would be offensive to the eye.

the jets do that on their SNYHD weekly show....its annoying because sometimes like when the ball carrier moves to the edge of the 4x3 pic he is then also shown in the blurred part as well & its wierd seeing 2 people with the ball at the same time.

post #104 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Okay then. Now I get it...but I'm overly concerned about it. Thanks you.
post #105 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawg View Post

Oh no! There better not be more of that. I liked the new bottom line graphics(on all the channels), but if they dump the plain, dark "ESPNHD" sidebars in favor of that blur crap, the channel is dead to me!

I've never seen the blurry sidebars on live content, only taped. I don't even know if there is equipment out there that can generate them live.
post #106 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I still don't understand why they are using the new graphics but the old bottom line.
post #107 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Legend View Post

I still don't understand why they are using the new graphics but the old bottom line.

The new BottomLine broke. Is it really that hard to understand?
post #108 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post

The new BottomLine broke. Is it really that hard to understand?

Ha, I understand that. I don't understand how it could break, especially still being broken what, 3 days in now.
post #109 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha, I understand that. I don't understand how it could break, especially still being broken what, 3 days in now.

That I don't know.
post #110 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I long for the days when we could just sit back and watch the game without all the graphics. Back in the 80's and early 90's, the graphics would pop up after a pitch or basket and then disappear. It was more like being at the game. Now we have to look around, over and under screen clutter or more properly, visual pollution, just to see the game. Makes me want to go back to the ballpark more often.

Louder is NOT better!
post #111 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I've never seen the blurry sidebars on live content, only taped. I don't even know if there is equipment out there that can generate them live.

They can be done live.
post #112 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Absolutely they can be done live and oftentimes are. All it is is a DVE effect where the same image is scaled up and blurred, then the original is keyed over the top. This is pretty commonly done live. ESPN has traditionally been very picky about how they use pillars though they're not nearly as uniform about it these days as they used to be.

Generally speaking the rules are that normal content, i.e. highlights, general b-roll, 4:3 game feeds, etc get the standard black/grey ESPNHD pillars. Montages, teases, stylistic features and bumpers with 4:3 content get blurry pillars (as a form of vignette -- animation overlays like the Sportscenter or Baseball Tonight bumper look would look horrid over black/grey pillar boxes). Live shots get special colored pillars usually blue (though Sportscenter now has a new live shot pillar look). Pillars typically never go in monitors on set (though this rule gets occasionaly overlooked) it is preferred that video is upscaled to fit the display. Stretching is never allowed.

If the piece of video is all 4:3 then pillars (of whatever variety) are generally added live in the control room, to avoid excess render time in edit and/or the fact that the same piece of footage might be used across shows and networks. (this gets a little hairy for TD's during scenarios where you would go from one pillar look to another such as going between a live shot to a bumper). Obviously video with mixed SD/HD content has to be pillared in edit with the network of first airing, so if a piece of video is cut for Sportscenter with ESPNHD pillars, and it gets reused on Nascar Now on ESPN2, they don't have to completely recut the video, that would get obnoxious given the enormous amount of cross utilization of footage.
post #113 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

They can be done live.

I realize that it's possible to generate them live, maybe I should have phrased it a little differently: I don't think there's a little self-contained box that can generate them live, like sidebars are generated now.
post #114 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I realize that it's possible to generate them live, maybe I should have phrased it a little differently: I don't think there's a little self-contained box that can generate them live, like sidebars are generated now.

They black/grey pillars are just a still in the Kalypso still store. The blurrys are a transform engine effect within the switcher. On remotes they're generally done with a DVEOUS.
post #115 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't understand how it could break, especially still being broken what, 3 days in now.

maybe berman & golic sat on it.

post #116 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

maybe berman & golic sat on it.

LMAO that is great and probably true
post #117 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

I long for the days when we could just sit back and watch the game without all the graphics. Back in the 80's and early 90's, the graphics would pop up after a pitch or basket and then disappear. It was more like being at the game. Now we have to look around, over and under screen clutter or more properly, visual pollution, just to see the game. Makes me want to go back to the ballpark more often.

Well said...

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #118 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

not me....i couldnt imagine watching 4 games at once on sunday ticket & keeping track of the score, down & distance, time left for each game....id be brain fried.

post #119 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:

It'd be cool if there were a way to have the bottom line and onscreen graphics come in as optional screen components... like closed captioning or an alternate audio stream comes in today. Since I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist, how about "ESPN Live!" and "ESPN"... one would be graphic-laden or "info heavy" (more suitable for use in bars/restaurants/dcowboy7's living room) and the other could be a "clean feed" (more suitable for use in JWhip's living room). (And dcowboy7, this is *NOT* a knock on you at all... I often have a boatload of sports up at any given time, and I can completely see the value in both having all the information available, but I can also see the value in having an unobstructed view. I know I'd like to have the option available, because sometimes I am in the mood for that info and other times not.)

Sure it'd require two times the bandwidth, but I can dream, no?
post #120 of 299 Old 04-08-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAnnapolis View Post

It'd be cool if there were a way to have the bottom line and onscreen graphics come in as optional screen components... like closed captioning or an alternate audio stream comes in today.

That would be extremely cool. Although it would be pretty complicated, and isn't realistic with today's STBs.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page