New ESPN Graphics Set/LA Studio Opening - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hopefully it's not an April Fools joke and hopefully this wasn't already posted but I didn't see it anywhere.

The LA studio opens next Monday (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...40c257c71c2592) and apparently they'll switch the BottomLine/SportsCenter graphics over at that time.

New SportsCenter intro found here: http://vimeo.com/3944854

Graphics set looks like its going to match the ESPNews set which I figured would be most likely to happen eventually.

I can't really tell for sure from those pics but the bottomline better be lower on the screen than the current one, otherwise I will be PISSED.

source: http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/...eover-new.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Not an April Fool's joke, new graphics are coming. They'll start with the first live SportsCenter on Monday at 9:00 AM EDT.

I saw the video - too long for the opening.

Sigh... I miss the blue screen opening with the swooping "SportsCenter" - you know, the days of Dan and Keith.
post #3 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Why do they have to put so much crap on the screen I hate ESPN anyways so it don't matter to me I nly watch live sporting events and PTI the rest is pure garbage as far as I am concerned.
post #4 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well the left bar won't be there during the nightly SportsCenter editions, and if you forget about that, I feel like it is about the same if not just a tiny bit more simpler in terms of amount of stuff on the screen. They way they have it now they cram a bunch of stuff into the boxes made for the info
post #5 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
And you thought the sets/graphics for PTI, Around the Horn, and Jim Rome looked outdated before...

Well, I guess Jim Rome will move to the new LA studio.
post #6 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I swear it must be someone with raging ADHD that designs this stuff for ESPN. You just cannot follow it all
post #7 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 11:41 AM

Liked: 10
As someone mentioned earlier, its looks like the graphics on ESPN News.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #8 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

I swear it must be someone with raging ADHD that designs this stuff for ESPN. You just cannot follow it all

Bingo I think you are right on.
post #9 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Is this only for SportsCenter? It's too much to have on during a live event.
post #10 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 65
It's like looking at the video wall at your local Best Buy if they had all the panels tuned to different stations. Has anyone told them about the revenue opportunity of pop ups yet?

I think their primary goal is just to make their game screens look less cluttered by comparison.

Idiocracy, here we come.
post #11 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Somebody needs to explain to them that more is not always better. Great analogy CPanther that is exactly what it looks like.
post #12 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 12:54 PM

post #13 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

Is this only for SportsCenter? It's too much to have on during a live event.

It's for the late night and morning sportscenters.... they already use a similar graphics package - this is just a redesign/facelift.

Obviously it isn't for live events.

Considering the nature of the show - I think its just fine.... people tune in for information. (The morning shows are more heaving on info than highlight packages, which people tend to prefer on the 11pm show, which is why that is free of this set of graphics)
post #14 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Intro is waaaay too long. Lost interest after 20 seconds.

Too much crap on the screen, as usual. Hopefully we will be able to get 50% of the screen for highlights.

Just even more reasons why I barely watch SC, if at all.

Why do we need an ESPN News 2?

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #15 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 84
i like all the info....im not 80 years old.

post #16 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I am monumentally confused by those saying "too much information" on the screen. The point of both these screens is to display the scores/stats. Of course there's a bunch of information on the screen. Do you people even watch ESPN? These comments suggest no.

These graphics are no different from the current format/display. They're just slicker looking.
post #17 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 PM

Of course that's the point - display as many scores and stats from a variety of different sports all at the same time - and all while reserving about 15% of the screen for a display of what's going to come up next.

And don't forget the numerous commercial breaks from a subscription pay channel (a channel that gets almost the same amount of money as HBO) that can't seem to pick up the stupid ticker where they left off when you were staring at it during the 6 minutes since the previous commercial break.....
post #18 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

I am monumentally confused by those saying "too much information" on the screen. The point of both these screens is to display the scores/stats. Of course there's a bunch of information on the screen. Do you people even watch ESPN? These comments suggest no.

These graphics are no different from the current format/display. They're just slicker looking.

What is the purpose of ESPN News then? If I wanted to see highlights I would watch ESPN. If I was a numbers junkie and cared about all that, ESPN News.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #19 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

And don't forget the numerous commercial breaks from a subscription pay channel (a channel that gets almost the same amount of money as HBO) that can't seem to pick up the stupid ticker where they left off when you were staring at it during the 6 minutes since the previous commercial break.....

Considering we pay so much for this channel, why can't the ticker stay on screen during commercials? It's ESPN. Advertisers will still buy ad time on that channel. It should be like CNBC, no stopping for 'breaks'.

That is something that irritates me beyond belief. They're running some long sentence on the ticker and POOF! it's gone in a commercial break. And of course the thing starts all over again after the break.
post #20 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

It's for the late night and morning sportscenters.... they already use a similar graphics package - this is just a redesign/facelift.

Describe "late night." The pictures in the first post read 10:16 ET. I wouldn't call that the late night edition of SportsCenter.

Like it or not, ESPN just keeps taking more screen space. MNF was a big slap in our face after they claimed they were giving the viewer more room.
post #21 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

What is the purpose of ESPN News then? If I wanted to see highlights I would watch ESPN. If I was a numbers junkie and cared about all that, ESPN News.

There's no doubt that ESPNEWS is just SportsCenter 24/7. But so what? It's sports. You can't just have a blank highlight or just some face reading statistics off the teleprompter. There is a multi-billion dollar fantasy sports industry (that ESPN helped create) that depends on this information, to say nothing of the multi-billion dollar sports commentariat that pours over this data and empowers that fantasy sports industry.

Stats aren't going anywhere. There's no value in doing a stats-free sports report. If you want long form feature pieces or in-depth sports reporting, you need to watch Outside the Lines, E:60, 60 Minutes, or Real Sports.

And ESPNEWS keeps the ticker on during commercials. But there's a larger point I haven't addressed that the SportsCenter screen has no-where near the information overload that you can get on ESPNEWS.
post #22 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 PM

They should start a Nerd "Sports" network for fantasy sport players. Or just run player stats on a Dungeon & Dragons channel or when they log in to play their sports video games online.

Let the real fans get their real sports unmolested by stats that could easily be retrieved online - assuming the fantasy players' computers aren't occupied monitoring the health of their virtual pets - or seeing if their Facebook page was visited by an actual real girl.
post #23 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They should start a Nerd "Sports" network for fantasy sport players. Or just run player stats on a Dungeon & Dragons channel or when they log in to play their sports video games online.

Let the real fans get their real sports unmolested by stats that could easily be retrieved online - assuming the fantasy players' computers aren't occupied monitoring the health of their virtual pets - or seeing if their Facebook page was visited by an actual real girl.

I wanna give you a hug. Although I do confess I do have a fb page.

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

post #24 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Snarky but pretty off the mark as far as I can tell. Fantasy sports is just the 2% of the iceberg you can see above the water. The 98% you don't see is the incredibly vast and invested world of sports gambling.

It's no coincidence that ESPN struck gold with the WSOP. They know their audience.
post #25 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 04:39 PM

That 2% of the iceberg represents 90% of the clutter of our sports presentation. Professional gamblers typically have internet access and don't generally rely on a game broadcast to compile their player stats.
post #26 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Very off the mark....

Considering the bottom line barely shows any stats.... its most scores with a brief stat summary... anyone into fantasy sports isn't watching sportscenter for that...

the "bulk" of the graphics is informing the viewer of the upcoming stories to be covered... what does that have to do with fantasy sports? or gambling?
post #27 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That 2% of the iceberg represents 90% of the clutter of our sports presentation. Professional gamblers typically have internet access and don't generally rely on a game broadcast to compile their player stats.

The stats are on TV because so many people watch sporting events in sports bars, where they don't have internet access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berk32 View Post

the "bulk" of the graphics is informing the viewer of the upcoming stories to be covered... what does that have to do with fantasy sports? or gambling?

It's well documented that SportsCenter has a ratings problem due to the glut of sports analysis on ESPN. Why go to Sportscenter for any information when you've got ESPNews, ESPNU, NFL Live, Baseball Tonight, NBA Fastbreak, etc. etc. unless you see a story on the queue that you're interested in.

I don't see it as the "bulk." It's outside the 4:3 frame. Half the time it's just covering the wing, and there's no time when it's covering actual meaningful information since, as we whine about everyday, everything on television is framed for the 4:3 viewer.
post #28 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM

I was referring to the graphics on display during the sports programming. The SportsCenter philosophy of packing in as much info beyond the primary topic of discussion bleeds over into their on screen graphics of game presentations.

Not that ESPN is alone - all the networks are catering to the fantasy-weenies at the expense of the real fans.
post #29 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

How does that change anything? The data is on TV because most people watch sports in a sports bar where they don't have Internet access.

The scores during March Madness are all online too. But does anyone really think putting the scores to concurrent games on the screen is a waste of space? How is the ESPN ticker telling sports scores from other events any different? It's not. And why do people care about what the scores are in the other NCAA games? Because they're gambling on them. This explains the entire philosophy behind on-screen sports graphics.
post #30 of 299 Old 04-02-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

The stats are on TV because so many people watch sporting events in sports bars, where they don't have internet access.

And if you are watching a football game in a sports bar - what do you need receiving/passing/rushing statistics from other games for - updated in real time throughout the broadcast?

The answer is, you don't. The guys at a sports bar watching a game want to drink beer and watch the game unfold. The only ones staring at the ticker are the ones sitting at a table alone because their internet date never showed up, or the guys bussing the tables to accumulate enough cash to pay the artwork charge for the custom pocket protectors printed with their fantasy football league logo.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page