'MythBusters' on Discovery HD - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #331 of 340 Old 02-17-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 342
If I wanted to watch them learn how to drift I'd be looking at Velocity or some other car centered network.

Horrible episode unless you're really into that sort of thing, I found myself skipping through large parts of it until I realized there wasn't anything worth watching.
Mark12547 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 340 Old 07-18-2015, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Good episode tonight.
post #333 of 340 Old 07-23-2015, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 55
BB part was cool I suppose.

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
post #334 of 340 Old 07-26-2015, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 65
As a space buff, I loved the u-2 dragonlady flight. Especially the views of the SFBA. The drone segment was just filler.
post #335 of 340 Old 07-26-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

U2 was Pretty epic.

post #336 of 340 Old 07-27-2015, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Definitely wasn't much of a "testing a myth" scenario. But it was one of the best segments I've seen on the new show.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #337 of 340 Old 08-02-2015, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

@tempered Glass Slow mo

post #338 of 340 Old 08-16-2015, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Good Episode.

post #339 of 340 Old 08-16-2015, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1896 Post(s)
Liked: 1209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipfreak View Post
Good Episode.
I was surprised with their 2 seconds in the fire test. They had the thing attached to a giant metal heatsink in the form of the metal rod. That could have affected things.
post #340 of 340 Old Today, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 230
"Unfinished Business"

When I saw the golf game and the motion capture device, I knew this couldn't be as good as swinging clubs, if for no other reason than getting "muscle memory": swinging an actual club and it making contact with an actual object would have a completely different feel and good training should include a reasonable approximation of the real feel.

I have heard of great success with simulators, but they are designed to be reasonably realistic, have the feel of the actual controls one would be using, and provide immediate tactile feedback like one would experience in real life. (In fact, it wasn't that long ago I saw an episode where a driving simulator tested whether a cell phone conversation using hands free was just as distracting as using a cell phone one has to hold, a test where the MythBusters came to a conclusion based on results from that simulation.) Documentaries about NASA show that extensive training occurs (or did occur) in a simulator. A pilot friend of mine (he flies 4-passenger prop planes) was one time given a 4-hour period in a turbojet simulator and really enjoyed it (and crashed three times), but he mentioned that a certain number of hours in a simulator count towards flight experience, especially since emergencies can be simulated in it quicker than in a real jet, even emergencies one dares not try in a real turbojet, whereas hundreds of hours at level flight don't really give you much in the way of disaster-avoidance skills.

But the less realistic the simulator (and the more "game-like" it is), the less I would expect skills to be transferable.

When was the last time you went caving and then just typed "XYZZY" to get back to to the cave entrance? Some games just don't translate to real life! (And when was the last time you used a keyboard that had ALL CAPITAL LETTERS and no lower-case letters? )

On another myth, I recall my brother saying that on one chopper flight one of the passengers dropped the pin to a hand grenade. Another soldier taped the soldier's hand to the hand grenade with the trigger in the closed position. Fortunately, after they landed, they found the pin.

One thing that made me think the woman could have had arm cramps is that if you haven't handled an un-pinned hand grenade, you don't know how much you need to squeeze, so it is reasonable one might squeeze harder than needed, and that would cause cramping sooner. But I would think a reasonable person would look around for a substitute for the hand to keep the release squeezed, tape being the first thing I would look for. (But if one is convinced the hand grenade hadn't been modified to explode as soon as the release is released, if one has seen enough war movies, one may be tempted to toss and duck.)

Overall, another fun episode, even if I think golf is a rather boring game (unless we are dealing with the Geico golf announcer / Kraken commercial).

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming