AVS Forum banner

'Southland' on TNT HD

54K views 552 replies 93 participants last post by  RickD1225 
#1 ·
I couldn't find a thread for this. If there's a thread, please delete or merge.

The series premier was last night.

I liked the show. I'll watch it again next week.

That one guy kept on getting bad feedback from his coworkers.

http://www.nbc.com/southland/

#428 ·
Didn't get around to watching last week's episode until last night. As usual, it was very well done and had another wonderful Dewey Moment.
I hope the finale lives up to the high quality we have seen in the rest of the season. I suspect it will.

#429 ·
Good conclusion to this short season. For a minute there I expected Tang to get shot at the car wash. So was the gun next to the pimp Ben's other gun that he was cleaning at the start of the show, or did the guy really pull on him?

The exchanges between Ben and Sammy in the hospital and John and Tang outside the bar were fantastic.

#430 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM /forum/post/21807029

Good conclusion to this short season. For a minute there I expected Tang to get shot at the car wash. So was the gun next to the pimp Ben's other gun that he was cleaning at the start of the show, or did the guy really pull on him?

The exchanges between Ben and Sammy in the hospital and John and Tang outside the bar were fantastic.

I had the same feeling when I saw the gun on the ground next to the perp...er pimp. Shiny silver gun...much like the one that Ben had on the work bench in the beginning when he was cleaning the guns.

And does this spell the end for Regina King's character? Thought it was an interesting pairing of Lou Diamond Phillips character and Ben as far as partnering up--what with the issues each had with the other earlier in the season...and then Ben POSSIBLY coming full circle and making his problem disappear by planting a gun on the pimp.

Gives you a lot to think about as the season concludes.

Someone refresh my memory---were they picked up for another season?

#432 ·

Quote:

yeah, i think he planted the gun and sammy knows ben hunted and killed pimp

#433 ·

Quote:

So was the gun next to the pimp Ben's other gun that he was cleaning at the start of the show, or did the guy really pull on him?

I'm still not sure about the gun. I would like to assume it was planted, because of Ben's aggression and involvement with the pimp and the two ladies.

I agree. Wonderful job for both Ben and Sammy and John and Tang. Even John cared about their conversation because he ended up keeping the orange cap on his key ring.

I'd like to see Officer Tang return next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypb /forum/post/21807292

And does this spell the end for Regina King's character?

I would doubt it. She's a lead cast member. Maybe they'll make next season (if it passes) as a year went by and she's back to work.

I've always liked her character, would hate to see her go.

I'm glad the whole pregnancy chapter came to an end. Harsh reality for the father of the baby though. Ruin his marriage or keep his new son a secret and have no visitation rights, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 /forum/post/21807585

yeah, i think he planted the gun and sammy knows ben hunted and killed pimp

The final moments of Ben and Sammy in the pool. I think this is what they were thinking. Sammy knew, and Ben felt like he gave Sammy his "wishes" as a mentor to him. The mentoring as in the conversation in the hospital.

Good season finale. Hopefully Southland returns next year.

#436 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/21809313

And don't forget the red tip of the toy gun (that Tang threw to him outside the bar) dangling from John's key chain in that last scene.

Yeah that's right !

Seems John , Sammy & Ben are going to be driving Drama points in the next season

#437 ·
This season showed Southland at its best. I thought it was in a class with NYPD Blue at its best and I have no higher compliment for a police procedural. There were so many great moments, most of which have been discussed by earlier posters, that I won't discuss them further here. Just let me finish by saying that Southland, along with Justified, has been the high point of my television week lately. Obviously, I really, really hope Southland is renewed.

#438 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/21809753

This season showed Southland at its best. I thought it was in a class with NYPD Blue at its best and I have no higher compliment for a police procedural. There were so many great moments, most of which have been discussed by earlier posters, that I won't discuss them further here. Just let me finish by saying that Southland, along with Justified, has been the high point of my television week lately. Obviously, I really, really hope Southland is renewed.

+1100

I'm Glad I can record on DVR as they both are on @ the same time

#439 ·
I have heard that they are looking at doing 12 episodes for the next season. Haven't been picked up for 100% sure yet though. I guess they found out in June last year, and expect to find out for sure again sometime around this June.

I have a friend who works on the show. He says part of the reason they only do short seasons is the number of different locations they shoot in. Said they did over 200 locations for this last season's 10 episodes alone.

#440 ·
TV Notes
Southland Nearing Renewal

By Margaret Lyons, New York Magazine's 'Vulture' Blog - Apr. 9, 2012

Southland is on the brink of renewal, Variety reports, with TNT and the studio haggling over how many episodes the fifth season will include: Warner Bros. wants thirteen, and TNT wants ten. If we're taking polls, Vulture would like thirteen, too, please.

Southland is so good think the pacing of an early ER with the dramatic potency of Homicide. Lucy Liu's arc last season was great, but we'd happily take double the Regina King for this go-round. Her Detective Lydia Adams is one of the most complicated, interesting characters on TV right now.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/south...g-renewal.html

#443 ·
Southland is one of the best series going these days. There is no excuse, it seems to me, for it not be renewed for 13 new episodes.

#445 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 /forum/post/21886885

TV Notes
Southland Nearing Renewal

By Margaret Lyons, New York Magazine's 'Vulture' Blog - Apr. 9, 2012

Southland is on the brink of renewal, Variety reports, with TNT and the studio haggling over how many episodes the fifth season will include: Warner Bros. wants thirteen, and TNT wants ten. If we're taking polls, Vulture would like thirteen, too, please.

Southland is so good think the pacing of an early ER with the dramatic potency of Homicide. Lucy Liu's arc last season was great, but we'd happily take double the Regina King for this go-round. Her Detective Lydia Adams is one of the most complicated, interesting characters on TV right now.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/south...g-renewal.html

++11oo I hope 13,but I'd settle for any !!!

#446 ·
While I was skimming the latest AdWeek I saw this in a new column their running,

Quote:
RENEWALS

Southland: A reportedly excellent cop show on TNT that hasn't gotten the attention it deserves because, well, it's a cop show on the network that airs Rizzoli and Isles and The Closer and syndicated epsiodes of Law & Order and Cold Case, among others. But to the folks who love these things the heirarchy appears to go The Wire, The Shield, Southland, so this seems to be a victory for the forces of light.

Full column here.

#449 ·
Well, I am in that group. 1. The Wire; 2. The Shield; 3. Southland. At least for shows in the last few years or so. I'd have to mention Homicide, Life on the Streets, Hill Street Blues, and NYPD Blue if going back further.

Good news on the renewal, I hope for 13 shows. A dream would be a network picking it up again with 20 shows or so and good budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/21939038

While I was skimming the latest AdWeek I saw this in a new column their running,

Full column here.

#450 ·
Actually, I rather like the 10 or 13 episode seasons as it tends to concentrate the creative value of each episode over a major network 22-24 season which almost always has quite a few creatively dead episodes, basically filler just to get more ads in front of viewer's eyeballs.

#451 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/21939347

Actually, I rather like the 10 or 13 episode seasons as it tends to concentrate the creative value of each episode over a major network 22-24 season which almost always has quite a few creatively dead episodes, basically filler just to get more ads in front of viewer's eyeballs.

+1! Too often the pressure to fill 22 episodes with story means that a few of them are just fillers and others do little if anything to move the plot along. In a well written show of 10 to 13 episodes a season something is happening all the time. In addition to Southland, Justified is a good example of the salutary effect of a shorter season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.