'Southland' on TNT HD - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 553 Old 04-19-2009, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I've watched both episodes and the show is pretty good. It will be interesting to see how the show unfolds and the characters develop (and there's plenty of them ).

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 553 Old 04-19-2009, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Enjoyed the show, but will take a few weeks to figure out 'who's on first' amongst all the characters.
post #33 of 553 Old 04-19-2009, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief99 View Post

Enjoyed the show, but will take a few weeks to figure out 'who's on first' amongst all the characters.

I agree. I watched the first episode online because it had been preempted locally, although I had already watched half of the second episode, I was so intrigued by the first show that I watched the second episode from the beginning and really enjoyed it. There are a lot of characters and a lot of threads in the series, so it's going to take awhile to figure out who are the players and what are their motivations.
post #34 of 553 Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Great episode last night. Sammy and Lydia did not have a lot of roles in last nights episode.
It was nice for the 2 leads (Ben & Michael) to open up and share their background information.
Edit: The whole Tom Sizemore and his buddy cop was wild.
post #35 of 553 Old 04-25-2009, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Fast-paced with good writing, acting, editing in this episode. Looks like a worthy series successor to E.R.--even though it's yet another crime drama. Assuming they are using the smaller RED digital-cinema cameras, they seem to be exploiting their portability without too much image jiggling for the frequent on-the-go shots.

Interesting role for Tom Sizemore, which suggested his off-set trouble while he starred in the 2002 series, "Robbery Homicide Division," on CBS, re-aired on HDNet.-- John
post #36 of 553 Old 04-25-2009, 06:00 AM

It was nice to see Sizemore in this episode, but I'm became less interested in this series after the episode. If the show pattern continues in the next episode or two, bye bye for me. If it does actually turn into something good, there's always discs and NF watch instantly down the road.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #37 of 553 Old 04-25-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

It was nice to see Sizemore in this episode, but I'm became less interested in this series after the episode. If the show pattern continues in the next episode or two, bye bye for me. If it does actually turn into something good, there's always discs and NF watch instantly down the road.

I too enjoyed Sizemore in this week's show. He is a guy you love to hate and his character in Southland was certainly that. I continue to enjoy the rest of the show, too. I like the developing chemistry between the rich boy rookie and his trainer and howled at the way they got pictures of the out of control Billy Dewey in flagrante delicto. Billy is another guy who it's easy to hate.
post #38 of 553 Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Great episode last night. Sammy and Lydia did not have a lot of roles in last nights episode.
It was nice for the 2 leads (Ben & Michael) to open up and share their background information.
Edit: The whole Tom Sizemore and his buddy cop was wild.

Good episode

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 553 Old 04-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

The show is like a modern-day (and grittier) version of Adam-12, with the seasoned cop bringing up the rookie (I've been enjoying the latter show on Retro Television Network); it'd be great to see Officers Malloy and Reed in their later days is some kind of cameo roll; it was their beat, after all.
post #40 of 553 Old 05-01-2009, 05:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This week's episode seemed to employ more (unwelcome) on-the-go camera jiggling than the previous one. Recall lots of discussion here about this cinema verite technique when it was often used in Robbery Homicide Division on CBS (starring Tom Sizemore) with digital taping. Imdb.com credits two directors, and perhaps different camera folks, so that might account for the differences. Then again, maybe the images just need more immediate back-to-back comparison for accuracy. If a Steadicam won't fix it, maybe they'll try, besides their Red One digital-cinema cameras, some of the temporal oversampling/downconversion experiments conducted by the BBC ; that is ~300 fps capture with conversion to various normal viewing frame rates--not slo-mo effects. -- John
post #41 of 553 Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

The show was weak last night; I missed the two main cops. It seems as if the show has too many "main" characters, enough for two or three separate shows. I say just stick primarily to the two main cops. Too many episodes like last night and I might have to bail. If ABC moves The Unusuals to Thursday night at 10:00, I would go with The Unusuals, without a question.
post #42 of 553 Old 05-01-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am losing faith in Southland. Tammi, one of the detective's dizzy wife, is far more wearing than she is funny. Similarly, Detective Lydia Adams, who I think we are supposed to admire for her hardheaded conscientiousness, strikes me as a self righteous malcontent. Sorry but there it is.

I am having at least as big a problem with the story lines as I am with some of the characters. The whole thing has been far too soapy for my tastes. I'll give Southland another episode or two but this week's attempt was weak, indeed. Speaking of The Unusuals, Southland is not in the same world with it. I just wish that it could come somewhere close to The Unusuals but it certainly isn't happening yet..
post #43 of 553 Old 05-01-2009, 12:42 PM
AAF
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Did they run the wrong set of promos last week? I was expecting the show they promo'd (again) for next week?

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
post #44 of 553 Old 05-01-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

The show was weak last night.

Agree
post #45 of 553 Old 05-02-2009, 06:16 AM

My interest is waning.

larry

post #46 of 553 Old 05-02-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 173
^^^ Maybe this will help rekindle the love. From Fredfa's "Hot Off The Press" thread at the top of the 'HDTV Programming' page:

TV Notes
NBC picks up 'Southland'
Network orders 13 episodes of cop drama
By Cynthia Littleton, Variety - May 2nd, 2009

Looks like the cops on "Southland" will be back on the beat in the fall. Word is that NBC has picked up the Warner Bros. TV/John Wells Prods. drama for 13 episodes, probably for a fall slot.

NBC execs are hunkered down in New York this weekend making fall pickup decisions in advance of Monday's "Infront" programming presentation to advertisers in Gotham.

The ensembler "Southland" has delivered solid numbers to NBC in the Thursday 10 p.m. time slot since its debut April 9, and the show has been warmly received by critics. Hard-boiled cop drama will presumably slide to a 9 p.m. berth in the fall, as NBC plans to strip "The Jay Leno Show" Monday-Friday at 10 p.m. hour.

Reps for NBC and Warner Bros. TV could not immediately be reached for comment late Friday.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #47 of 553 Old 05-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

I really like this show. I thought the last episode was good. It didn't show the rookie or his FTO but it let us know more about the other characters. I'm a cop and find this show pretty realistic. For the guy that complaned about how police procedure wasn't being followed, happens everyday.
post #48 of 553 Old 05-15-2009, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, next week is already the season finale? That sucks, too short of a season.
I was surprised when Lydia Adams was in bed with that guy. She was always so careful about getting hurt in relationships. In the end of the episode, he let her down. Maybe they will patch it up in the season finale?

Sammy's wife is crazy. ha
He's always on the phone "yapping" to her.
post #49 of 553 Old 05-19-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

NBC announced that "Southland" will air Fridays at 9:00 ET next fall.
post #50 of 553 Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bump.
Friendly reminder: Season Finale is on tonight at 9:00 PM CST.
post #51 of 553 Old 05-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Good episode; nice cliff-hanger, and big news on the veteran cop being gay (will writers never tire of using this hackneyed plot device; hell, Grey's has used it how many times now?).
post #52 of 553 Old 05-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

The training officer was shown to be gay at the end of the first episode when he was in a gay bar.

Hopefully Russ the detective will survive. He's a good character.
post #53 of 553 Old 05-22-2009, 04:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wish they'd figure out how to use their Red One digital-cinema cameras better. The opening scene (body on hilltop), and others, seemed drained of color. Might have been over-adjusted during post production before the master tape. Don't expect CSI:Miami oversaturated color, but their current washed-out extreme is bypassing the advantages of HD. The jumpy-camera technique got progressively worse until a squad-room scene where it became frantic and distracting, jerking to each speaker in a group. -- John
post #54 of 553 Old 05-22-2009, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great episode. The whole ending and the home invasion was good. Lynda carrying a shotgun was hot
post #55 of 553 Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoon View Post

The training officer was shown to be gay at the end of the first episode when he was in a gay bar.

Hopefully Russ the detective will survive. He's a good character.

Ah, must have missed that.
post #56 of 553 Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Lydia may may be the toughest cop of the Southland bunch. Once Janila moved into Lydia's house I figured that some of the gang bangers would pay with their lives if they took her on. Sure enough. . . . I continue to be turned off by every scene that involves Sammy Bryant's wife. She is weak, self involved, and about as charming as a train wreck. Maybe they will write her out. If they do, sooner will be better.

Southland has turned out to be very good. I particularly enjoyed the closing scenes with the vocal background, Willie Nelson, I think. I'm glad the show is coming back.
post #57 of 553 Old 05-22-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Good season finale. Has a chance to be a really good show, however the move to Friday nights come the fall could kill this.
post #58 of 553 Old 05-23-2009, 12:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Like others I can't yet keep the characters straight. Who got shot at the end?

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #59 of 553 Old 05-23-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

Like others I can't yet keep the characters straight. Who got shot at the end?

That was Detective Russell Clark, played by Tom Everett Scott. Clark is one of the detectives in the squad. When you add in wives, friends, and significant others to all the cops, it really does take a scorecard to keep track of all the characters. Anyway, I continue to enjoy the show, even if I can't always figure out who is whom.
post #60 of 553 Old 07-31-2009, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Had this show on just because it came on after the Giants game on NBC affiliate, when I heard a swear word beeped out. Huh? Southland is not a movie; it's a made-for-tv show just like CSI Miami. So hopefully this is not a trend where will hear "tough talking" detectives bleeping throughout shows. Leno used to just delete swear words, but in recent years it beeped them out, even purposely inserting beeps into skits for "comic effect"; that is, not to cover up a swear word, just to insert the beep for a pretend swear word (in essece, the beep becomes a swear word). I guess just a matter of time until they do it in prime time dramas or even comedies.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page