Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 553 Old 08-01-2009, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Threads merged

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 553 Old 08-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

Had this show on just because it came on after the Giants game on NBC affiliate, when I heard a swear word beeped out. Huh? Southland is not a movie; it's a made-for-tv show just like CSI Miami. So hopefully this is not a trend where will hear "tough talking" detectives bleeping throughout shows. Leno used to just delete swear words, but in recent years it beeped them out, even purposely inserting beeps into skits for "comic effect"; that is, not to cover up a swear word, just to insert the beep for a pretend swear word (in essece, the beep becomes a swear word). I guess just a matter of time until they do it in prime time dramas or even comedies.

You have to understand that Southland is shown in a documentary style at times. So the bleeping of words is done for affect to make it seem more realistic. It has nothing to do with censoring the words. It's all about trying to make it appear like what you just saw could happen in real life.
post #63 of 553 Old 08-01-2009, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrainwater View Post

You have to understand that Southland is shown in a documentary style at times. So the bleeping of words is done for affect to make it seem more realistic. It has nothing to do with censoring the words. It's all about trying to make it appear like what you just saw could happen in real life.

That is irritating. So are we going to have beeps for effect on CSI next year or other dramas yet to come? The next Seinfeld will have characters "beeping" for effect? Common on Leno now....beeeeeeep (laughs) beeeeep (laughs). Now we're going to have it on made-for-tv shows?
post #64 of 553 Old 08-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Irritating to you maybe, but I take it as a documentary (sort of like cops at times) being shown on TV. Gives it that gritty realism, that a regular show doesn't.

huh?
post #65 of 553 Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post

That is irritating. So are we going to have beeps for effect on CSI next year or other dramas yet to come?

The CSIs are not shot in that particular style so it wouldn't be done.
post #66 of 553 Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

The CSIs are not shot in that particular style so it wouldn't be done.

So you like the f**kcing obsensenities on the show? I guess it does make it more f**kcing realistic. But I think it is is f**cking moronic. Actualy looks like it may be a good show, but I'll wait until it comes out in DVD so I don't have to hear the f**cking bleeps. More realistic and far less annoying.

Actually, it's not unprecedented. There were a few f**ck bleeps in Seinfleds' "The Bubble Boy" and about 20 f**cks in Seinfelds' "The Nonfat Yogurt", enough to wear a criticism was "The crudenss of the bleeps demeans the episodes's sharp wit". I hate it because it's irritating to my ears with the sound emminating from my stereo.
post #67 of 553 Old 10-08-2009, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 170
NBC cancels "Southland" after six episodes for Season 2 were already shot and ready to air; "Dateline NBC" will air at 9PM Fridays instead. "Hot Off The Press" thread had all the details in this stunning development (which explains why the show didn't premiere with the other NBC shows as originally announced): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17322451.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #68 of 553 Old 10-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

NBC cancels "Southland" after six episodes for Season 2 were already shot and ready to air; "Dateline NBC" will air at 9PM Fridays instead. "Hot Off The Press" thread had all the details in this stunning development (which explains why the show didn't premiere with the other NBC shows as originally announced): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post17322451.

Quote:

While "Southland" has enjoyed strong support among NBC brass, after screening the finished episodes from the upcoming second season, the show's content was deemed too dark and gritty for broadcast TV, especially for 9 p.m.

Unf**in'believable!!! First My Name is Earl and now this!

This show is better than almost anything on this sorry excuse for a network and they chop it? Crazy. The only things I'll still watch on NBC are 30 Rock, Heroes and CHuck and we all know that two of those won't be here next season. BTW, Trauma and Mercy especially have been horrible! AWFUL NEWS!
post #69 of 553 Old 10-08-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Damn, that's crazy. Bad move, it was a great show.
post #70 of 553 Old 10-08-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
NBC has no clue how to run a network. It's hard to believe they are owned by the same GE I used to work for.
post #71 of 553 Old 10-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WTF NBC!

post #72 of 553 Old 10-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Southland, a cutting edge drama about real life on the streets of L.A., out. Jay Leno, a big-chinned, back-stabbing, George Lazenby of late-night television, getting trounced 5 times a week in the ratings, in. Yeah, great minds over there at NBC. NBC, 4th place going for 5th!
post #73 of 553 Old 10-09-2009, 01:16 PM

Zucker scores another one! When will someone run him off?!

Well, Here's my Sig!!!
post #74 of 553 Old 10-09-2009, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by goober22 View Post

Zucker scores another one! When will someone run him off?!

It all depends on whether this increases NBC's bottom line.
post #75 of 553 Old 10-10-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quite surprised at this; I know I saw a new promo on NBC less than a week ago....

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #76 of 553 Old 10-10-2009, 09:00 AM

From thewrap.com, one of the actors talks about getting axed: http://www.thewrap.com/article/twitt...southland-8461

I agree that based on the current primetime lineup, this makes no sense.

Hope, hope, HOPE that someone else picks it up!

***I just realized that this was on the 'Hot off the presses' sticky at the top as well. Worth repeating!
post #77 of 553 Old 10-10-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I liked the characters and their backgrounds on this show. The whole cast was very interesting and fun to follow. I can now see why so many people disprove of NBC. ( I still like the Jay Leno Show )
post #78 of 553 Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 AM

Sad to see the show go. It was real good.

huh?
post #79 of 553 Old 10-12-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
post #80 of 553 Old 10-12-2009, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRANGER619 View Post

Sad to see the show go. It was real good.

Yeah....Boomtown comes to mind.....

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #81 of 553 Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Yet another opportunity for an axed NBC show to flourish on another network? ABC isn't doing that well at 10P.

post #82 of 553 Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Is TNT about to rescue "Southland"? "Hot Off The Press" thread has the story: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post17344018.

post #83 of 553 Old 10-13-2009, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I would have to believe that the show's budget, and most likely cast, would have to be cut for it to work for cable.
post #84 of 553 Old 10-18-2009, 10:40 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091019/tv_nm/us_southland

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Keep up the faith, "Southland" fans.

John Wells, executive producer of the recently canceled NBC drama, called actors on the show late last week to tell them he is in talks with two networks about the cop series finding a new home.

Wells reportedly didn't identify the networks, but TNT, corporate sibling of show producer Warner Bros. TV, has been interested in acquiring the series and is considered the most likely contender to pick it up.

Even if a deal is to be made to go to another network, there are indications that "Southland," whose production was shut down by NBC this month, won't resume filming anytime soon. The potential buyer would run the seven episodes from the first season and the six produced episodes from the second as a 13-episode freshman cycle.

post #85 of 553 Old 10-27-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

post #86 of 553 Old 10-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

It would be a good fit for TNT...I read someplace that they might put it on the same night as "The Closer". That would be OK by me!

As for NBC's stupidity...well, just look what they've done this season, so far. Is anyone really watching from 10-11pm, anyway? I watched the first night and was not impressed. Since then I've been watching other networks or other shows during that time. NBC will either have to see what it's doing to itself (doubtful) or will pay for their dumb programming decisions. I hope it's the latter.

DGK
post #87 of 553 Old 10-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKaye07 View Post

As for NBC's stupidity...well, just look what they've done this season, so far. Is anyone really watching from 10-11pm, anyway? I watched the first night and was not impressed. Since then I've been watching other networks or other shows during that time. NBC will either have to see what it's doing to itself (doubtful) or will pay for their dumb programming decisions. I hope it's the latter.

Even with poor ratings, the Jay Leno Show makes NBC money due to the low cost to make the show. Unfortunately, Southland isn't a 8pm kind of show. Hopefully, it can get a second life with TNT enough to get a another season ordered.
post #88 of 553 Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Even with poor ratings, the Jay Leno Show makes NBC money due to the low cost to make the show. Unfortunately, Southland isn't a 8pm kind of show. Hopefully, it can get a second life with TNT enough to get a another season ordered.

As low as Leno's ratings are going, we might just get to see what NBCs limit is. Also, the affiliates are screaming that they get no lead in to the news.

I am just glad it looks like we can see the last few episodes of Southland. I am not as secure for more than thatm but we can always hope.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check
post #89 of 553 Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
TNT Adds NBC's 'Southland'

Will Premiere Six Unseen Episodes

John Eggerton -- Multichannel News, 11/2/2009 11:53:13 AM

TNT has picked up NBC's Southland, which was cancelled by the network before the launch of its second season.

The cable net will have rights to the seven episodes of the police drama that aired last season, and another six un-aired installments shot for this season.

Starting in January, the show will run on Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on the cable channel, which is co-owned with Southland producer Warner Bros. Television.

"This is a great win for fans of Southland, and a perfect opportunity to introduce the series to new viewers," said Turner Entertainment Networks president Steve Koonin in announcing the pickup.

According to The New York Times, TNT will wait to see how the show performs before making a decision about whether to order new installments.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...Southland_.php

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #90 of 553 Old 11-02-2009, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow. Awesome. Thanks for the post.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version