2009 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs in HDTV - NBC, Versus, CBC, TSN, Local Sports Nets - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 591 Old 04-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like the horn. Makes pretty red lights on the console.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 591 Old 04-19-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snf mixer View Post

i like the horn. Makes pretty red lights on the console.

lol!
post #93 of 591 Old 04-19-2009, 04:39 PM

I am able to watch the Vancouver/St. Louis game on both Versus and FSN right now. The FSN broadcast looks better.
post #94 of 591 Old 04-19-2009, 08:47 PM

Liked: 11
Fox Sports is a joke.

The Ducks/Sharks game is blacked out on Versus HD because the game is on Prime Ticket. But for whatever reason the one HD channel I get on Time Warner for FSN and Prime Ticket is showing nothing. They showed the Dodger game earlier, and there was no possibility of conflict, but they've decided to not put the hockey game in HD.
post #95 of 591 Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Hoping there are some Game 6's so we get some more of your superior work, Wendel. Versus's fake DD5.1 gives me a headache after a few hours.
post #96 of 591 Old 04-19-2009, 09:34 PM

So I'm in San Diego on Cox, and the ANA/SJ game is blacked out on Versus because this is Ducks territory, however Cox doesn't carry FS Prime Ticket.

Is the blackout a Cox issue or a Versus issue, and am I screwed no matter what, or is there someone I can contact to fix this?
post #97 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 04:28 AM

Does anyone else's NBC do what NBC10 in Philly does. At the begining of each period they shrink to a 4:3 SD stereo feed then run a nice blue crawl across the bottom, about 3 inches tall on my 42" hawking playoff tickets! It runs for about 30 seconds, then disappears, then it goes to a 16:9 hd, then back to 5.1 surround, all in stages, you know what that does to a system!

No offense to Wendell, as I enjoy his work, but his employer is a joke of and "HD" network.
post #98 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howwen View Post

Does anyone else's NBC do what NBC10 in Philly does. At the begining of each period they shrink to a 4:3 SD stereo feed then run a nice blue crawl across the bottom, about 3 inches tall on my 42" hawking playoff tickets! It runs for about 30 seconds, then disappears, then it goes to a 16:9 hd, then back to 5.1 surround, all in stages, you know what that does to a system!

No offense to Wendell, as I enjoy his work, but his employer is a joke of and "HD" network.

Local issue; you should contact your local affiliate to complain because disrupting the feed like that is decidedly uncool. (I'm surprised they would have to advertise tickets anyway; aren't the games sold out?) Anyway, this was not present on the national feed.
post #99 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 07:18 AM

Who would have ever thought the Ducks would be 2 up over the Sharks on the road!

I still think this will end up being a close series.

The PQ for the Blues/Canucks game was much better from St Louis. None of that edge enhancement from the previous games.

But I think you can stick a fork in the Blues.

Fear the Bear!
post #100 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAnnapolis View Post

Local issue; you should contact your local affiliate to complain because disrupting the feed like that is decidedly uncool. (I'm surprised they would have to advertise tickets anyway; aren't the games sold out?) Anyway, this was not present on the national feed.

Useless to complain th them, I once told them that their subchannels made their showase HD Olympics coverage unwatchable and they told me I didn't know what I was talking about! I honestly believe that not a single exec. at NBC10 owns an HD tv! Imagine how embarassing it would be to be watching the game in Philly at an execs. house and have theur tv reduced to a 4:3 SD blurr for 30 seconds of a playoff game.

It may actually be next years season tickets they are selling, it is hard to read as my eyes are filling up with blood!
post #101 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDave View Post

So I'm in San Diego on Cox, and the ANA/SJ game is blacked out on Versus because this is Ducks territory, however Cox doesn't carry FS Prime Ticket.

Is the blackout a Cox issue or a Versus issue, and am I screwed no matter what, or is there someone I can contact to fix this?

that should Cox's issue, since you're in Ducks territory and they aren't providing the games. Of course, Cox doesn't know about playing nicely with others since they hold Padres games hostage on their cable systems, putting Padres fans with AT&T U-Verse or Satellite in the same spot you're in.
post #102 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

Who would have ever thought the Ducks would be 2 up over the Sharks on the road!

I still think this will end up being a close series.

I'm a bit surprised but not completely. The Sharks have been having difficulties scoring goals consistently for quite some time. From mid-February on they had 18 games in which they scored two goals or less (20 if you count the palyoff games). Losing Patrick Marleau didn't help but a number of players like Clowe and Setoguchi had serious drops in production. Cheecho had a nice goal last night but he has never recovered his form from his 56 goal effort three years ago. Unfortunately this lack of team scoring appears to be continuing into the playoffs. I've been surprised that Drew Remenda has never mentioned this. The PQ on Comcast Sports net last night was a bit strange. The normal side camera seemed to have some color balance issues with a distinct bluish tinge over the picture and especially the Sharkies' uniforms. For a while Teal was nowhere to be seen. It got better as the game wore on but it was never completely resolved.
post #103 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Useless to complain th them, I once told them that their subchannels made their showase HD Olympics coverage unwatchable and they told me I didn't know what I was talking about! I honestly believe that not a single exec. at NBC10 owns an HD tv! Imagine how embarassing it would be to be watching the game in Philly at an execs. house and have theur tv reduced to a 4:3 SD blurr for 30 seconds of a playoff game.

It may actually be next years season tickets they are selling, it is hard to read as my eyes are filling up with blood!

They probably do own HDTV's.... they just connect them to their cable boxes using their old composite video cables (or more likely - Coax)...
post #104 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 AM

Any info on whether FSN Detroit will be doing any HD games from Columbus?
post #105 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings1914 View Post

nhl.com schedule lists which broadcasts are HD.... one would hope its accurate.
post #106 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Having to drop to SD for the scroll is a bit odd since other NBC O&Os can do overlays in HD, especially with all the recent upgrades to an HD plant to do HD news. NBC corporate requires their stations to carry the weather sub and Universal Sports, so complaining to the local isn't going to accomplish anything.
post #107 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings1914 View Post

The first 5 games of the series, including games 3 & 4 from Columbus, and game 5 in Detroit (if necessary) will all be HD. The HD status of games 6 & 7 (if necessary) is still being determined.

With the way things are going, it may be a moot point.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #108 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice Versus HD coverage of Blackhawks @ Flames from TSN. Looks & sounds really good.

post #109 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Nice Versus HD coverage of Blackhawks @ Flames from TSN. Looks & sounds really good.

Maybe this is obvious, but why is a TSN game on Versus?
post #110 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcorwin View Post

Maybe this is obvious, but why is a TSN game on Versus?

Versus doesn't have enough broadcast and production teams to cover 2 games every night, so in order to serve NHL fans (and maybe their contract), they pick up the Canadian broadcasts to fill in the gaps. I think they're rotating 3 crews right now.
post #111 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM

I am in the Chicago area with Comcast, so I get the Blackhawks vs. Flames game on my local Comcast SportsNet HD. The ice is WAAAAY too bright. I can barely see the blue line and I can't see the skates due to the brightness. It's hurting my eyes. Is it the same for anyone else?
post #112 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckywang View Post

I am in the Chicago area with Comcast, so I get the Blackhawks vs. Flames game on my local Comcast SportsNet HD. The ice is WAAAAY too bright. I can barely see the blue line and I can't see the skates due to the brightness. It's hurting my eyes. Is it the same for anyone else?

No. Versus on Comcast Detroit.

post #113 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyhrdmet View Post

Versus doesn't have enough broadcast and production teams to cover 2 games every night, so in order to serve NHL fans (and maybe their contract), they pick up the Canadian broadcasts to fill in the gaps. I think they're rotating 3 crews right now.

Thanks. That makes sense.
post #114 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

No. Versus on Comcast Detroit.

That's an entirely different channel and production.
post #115 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Flames/Hawks game is a bit bright here; TSN on Versus on FiOS in Dallas. It may be a different production, but unless it's different then every other NHL game done by multiple broadcasters, they share most of the main cameras with each network having control of a few others to profile players and whatnot.
post #116 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteaz View Post

Flames/Hawks game is a bit bright here; TSN on Versus on FiOS in Dallas. It may be a different production, but unless it's different then every other NHL game done by multiple broadcasters, they share most of the main cameras with each network having control of a few others to profile players and whatnot.

Bing!

post #117 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckywang View Post

Quality sucks because it's an upconverted signal. Widescreen SD. They have raised the contrast and the sharpness to make it seem more hi-def than what it is.

Versus HD is also blacked out in Chicago. I wish we could have a choice like the NBA because the picture quality is terrible.

Here's a comparison in quality :
Calgary Tonight vs Game 2 in Chicago
post #118 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongyfungy View Post

Quality sucks because it's an upconverted signal. Widescreen SD. They have raised the contrast and the sharpness to make it seem more hi-def than it is.

Versus HD is also blacked out in Chicago. I wish we could have a choice like the NBA because the picture quality is terrible.

Here's a comparison in quality :
Calgary Tonight vs Game 2 in Chicago

On Versus...they just showed a replay and it had the SportsNet logo on it...wow...just horrible quality.
post #119 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 09:24 PM

TSN looked like it was HD or really good upconvert and looked alright. however the contrast was just too high. the ice was blinding

I hate getting blacked out.

post #120 of 591 Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongyfungy View Post

TSN looked like it was HD. however the contrast was just too high. the ice was blinding and the darks were too dark

The replay I saw looked exactly as it was described earlier and it was definitely not HD.
Closed Thread HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page