Nurse Jackie on SHO - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 399 Old 06-16-2009, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hated the show. Can't stand Falco. Her voice gets on my nerves. And I just found the show boring as hell. I love Showtime for Dexter, OAR movies, undubbed letterboxed asian fight fests. But not for Nurse Jackie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 399 Old 06-16-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantar View Post

I hated the show. Can't stand Falco. Her voice gets on my nerves. And I just found the show boring as hell. I love Showtime for Dexter, OAR movies, undubbed letterboxed asian fight fests. But not for Nurse Jackie.

Fortunately, the foregoing appears to represent the view of a small minority. It just goes to show that there is no accounting for taste, both good and bad and that which is which is a matter of opinion.

Falco is a gifted actress and her everywoman looks and Brooklyn brogue work perfectly for her in Nurse Jackie, it seems to me. This is a New York story about a New York gal. The show has been nothing but good so far and promises to get even better. Eve Best, the talented London stage actress who plays Dr. Elenor O'Hara has been terrific, too, as for that matter has everyone else in the show's large ensemble cast.
post #33 of 399 Old 06-16-2009, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 80
The pilot ep is available at Amazon as a free (720p) download....
Young C likes this.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #34 of 399 Old 06-16-2009, 05:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post

The question is "Does it justify a Showtime subscription?".

The question for me is are they still running snipes and other ads during episodes and movies?

They have enough quality competing shows with HBO now, but as long as they run their ads on them I won't go back.

And their movies still need work.

post #35 of 399 Old 06-16-2009, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

The question for me is are they still running snipes and other ads during episodes and movies?

Haven't seen any for a long time.
post #36 of 399 Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Fortunately, the foregoing appears to represent the view of a small minority. It just goes to show that there is no accounting for taste, both good and bad and that which is which is a matter of opinion.

Falco is a gifted actress and her everywoman looks and Brooklyn brogue work perfectly for her in Nurse Jackie, it seems to me. This is a New York story about a New York gal. The show has been nothing but good so far and promises to get even better. Eve Best, the talented London stage actress who plays Dr. Elenor O'Hara has been terrific, too, as for that matter has everyone else in the show's large ensemble cast.

I have taste. Trouble with Falco is that is how she talks in every damn show. I just do not see this show on the same level as Breaking Bad or Dexter. I did not bother watching ep2. but the pilot just left me incredibly bored with not a single character I cared about.
post #37 of 399 Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantar View Post

I have taste. Trouble with Falco is that is how she talks in every damn show. I just do not see this show on the same level as Breaking Bad or Dexter. I did not bother watching ep2. but the pilot just left me incredibly bored with not a single character I cared about.

Well, you disliked Falco before the series even started, so it would stand to reason you're not going to like the show at all. I like it pretty well, she does remind me somewhat of the Nancy Botwin character in Weeds. I think it's going to be a decent show, but everybody is entitled to their likes and dislikes.

It's very doubtful anybody is going to change anybody's opinion concerning any show on television. they might convince someone to try it out, but if they've watched and didn't care for it, a lot of peiple raved and still rave about Friday Night Lights, but it wasn't for me.
post #38 of 399 Old 06-17-2009, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
So far I'll continue to watch. The show is quite entertaining overall.

larry
Young C likes this.

I don't know Butchie instead
post #39 of 399 Old 06-17-2009, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

It's very doubtful anybody is going to change anybody's opinion concerning any show on television. they might convince someone to try it out, but if they've watched and didn't care for it, a lot of peiple raved and still rave about Friday Night Lights, but it wasn't for me.

I agree with your opinion of Friday Night Lights. For whatever reason, it wasn't for me, either, and I never understood the adulation that was heaped on it. It does appear, though, that ours is a minority view.
post #40 of 399 Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
I DVR'ed the premiere of "Nurse Jackie" but waited for the 2nd episode to air so I could watch them back-to-back. Glad I did because the pilot was way too dark and heavy (good stuff but a little too much on the "Weeds" side of nihilism) but it effectively sets the backstory for the series. By the 2nd episode the characters are allowed to go a little nuts with some cynical moments interacting easily with some gut-busting scenes that made me laugh-out loud. The supervisor using Jackie's spiked artificial sweetener into her coffee kept paying off (if Jackie thought the ear was going to get her in trouble... ) and Jackie's nursing assistance is both cute as a button and ready-made for reaction laughs as the audience surrogate. I also liked that they showed Jackie's attachment to the pharmacist that provides her with drugs isn't just a chemical/sexual dependence but that these two genuinely like each other (the 'God particle' discussion was excellent).

Best joke of the 2nd episode: "Hot Dogs? NOT HOT DOGS???!!!... Relax, I was kidding." So if anybody here had negative feelings about the show from seeing the dark pilot relax, jump in and enjoy the laughs because "Nurse Jackie" gets funnier once we get past the dark exposition of the first episode. It goes together with "Weeds" about as well as "Ghost Whisperer" and "Medium" will be in the Fall: perfect symmetry of humor, pathos and cynicism.
post #41 of 399 Old 06-17-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

I DVR'ed the premiere of "Nurse Jackie" but waited for the 2nd episode to air so I could watch them back-to-back. Glad I did because the pilot was way too dark and heavy (good stuff but a little too much on the "Weeds" side of nihilism) but it effectively sets the backstory for the series.

dad -- The nihilistic nature of the Nurse Jackie pilot reminded me of Weeds, too. That kind of thing does not put me off, though, particularly if it is as well executed as these two series are. I guess my sense of humor is meanspirited enough to allow me to accommodate to and laugh at Weeds even at its darkest. Really black comedy is not for everyone but I enjoy it. Does this mean that I require therapy
post #42 of 399 Old 06-17-2009, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife and I watched both episodes and we like the series; I agree that it should be an hour show and not a 30 minute show because there is just too much story and not enough time.

Her chemical dependency is interesting as are the great methods she goes through to get her "fix" as well as the explanation of how she plans her fix's during her daily routine.

I also like the contrast in how her Dr friend sees Jackie and how Jackie is seeing her noob assistant. Her friend brings up Jackies compassion and her wanting to treat the patient and connecting on a humane level and then Jackie goes on to tell her assistant that she's too nice for this line of work.

It just goes to show that HBO and Showtime are putting out good content while the major networks are still trying to shove more and more reality TV down our throats. Is it the freedom of not being constrained by language and nudity probitions that is allowing the creativity and emotional connections to be made in these shows?
post #43 of 399 Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregun View Post

It just goes to show that HBO and Showtime are putting out good content while the major networks are still trying to shove more and more reality TV down our throats. Is it the freedom of not being constrained by language and nudity probitions that is allowing the creativity and emotional connections to be made in these shows?

As is the case with so much else in the television business, I think the networks preference for reality shows over dramatic shows is a matter of money. Reality TV is (relatively) dirt cheap to produce, exponentially less so than the typical weekly shows in which the networks, gasp, have to hire and pay real actors. I hope that HBO and Showtime know better than to go very far down that line because if they did I know that they would lose me and I suspect a bunch of other subscribers, too.
post #44 of 399 Old 06-17-2009, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The nice thing about the premium channels is that we as subscribers actually get a vote. If we don't like what's going on in a general sense, then we can drop our subscriptions. Which is exactly what I did with HBO. I'm still stewing over them short changing us on Deadwood, Rome, and Carnivale. I liked Tru-Blood, and also watched Maher. But just those two shows weren't enough to keep me around. Showtime, on the other hand, still has quite a few quality original programming that keeps me subscribed.

post #45 of 399 Old 06-18-2009, 07:04 AM

Something a bit different ... great acting.
post #46 of 399 Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
I didn't care for the first episode, but thought the second was a little better. I'll watch a couple more BECAUSE it is only a half hour. That gives Jackie ample time to screw half the hospital and not the entire building.

Mikey Mo
"Survived Charley, Frances & Ivan. But Jeanne got me."
Anxiously Awaiting 2014 Hurricane Season.
"OAR OR DIE"
They killed the SACD. Bring it back.

post #47 of 399 Old 06-19-2009, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Really enjoying this show. The other nurse show "Hawthorn" is a mess. This one's a keeper.
Young C likes this.
post #48 of 399 Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey mo View Post

I didn't care for the first episode, but thought the second was a little better.

I sort of agree, but my "liking it" base for both episodes was a bit higher than yours. Based on a review I'd read I was prepared to be disappointed, but after two episodes I'm now in for a few more.

However I do not care for the casting of Jackie's love interests... both at home and at the office. Her husband? That's her husband? Either Jackie aged amazingly because of her job I don't see how these two had sufficient chemistry about 10 years back (guess, based on kids age) to get married.

Also, I do not get the office fling partner either. Why does she love him??? Where's the real attraction?

All in all these seem like three random people playing three roles. I find it very distracting. I bailed on "New Christine" early on for a similar reason... couldn't stand the casting of her ex-husband (not to mention the laugh track, and resulting dialog timing pauses after supposed jokes). Casting really matters (e.g. "Rescue Me", "Dexter", etc).

On the other hand I very much enjoy the relationship with the fancy-dressing honcho doctor, the gay male nurse, and especially the nursing student. I also enjoy the smart dialog.

A bit weird overall, but I also enjoy "Weeds".

I'm in for a while.
post #49 of 399 Old 06-20-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh come on ---- sex for drugs. Why else would she be messing with the pharmacist?
Young C likes this.
post #50 of 399 Old 06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Oh come on ---- sex for drugs. Why else would she be messing with the pharmacist?

Ok... you're right. I guess I didn't even think to see that perspective in my watching last night, trying to see her as a "legitimate" though obviously stressed character who was simply having an office affair as an escape from other stresses/obligations at home.

This casts a very bad slant to her personality, making her actually much less likable and cheap... street trash. Really? Robin Hood nurse and addicted drug addict paying with sex, in the same character? With a husband and two young daughters to go home to every night? Hmmm...

But... I guess that's what this role is. Along with the corrupt pharmacist, buying sex with stolen drugs. Hmmm...

Anyway, you're right I suppose. I was clearly naive. As you say, there obviously would be no other reason for her to be fooling around with an otherwise unattractive person.
post #51 of 399 Old 06-20-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if I'd go that far. We know she has intractable back pain, but unlike House she does not have a bunch of Dr. writing her scrips for meds. I'm sure there is more to the story and it will develop as the season goes on.
post #52 of 399 Old 06-20-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I don't know if I'd go that far. We know she has intractable back pain, but unlike House she does not have a bunch of Dr. writing her scrips for meds. I'm sure there is more to the story and it will develop as the season goes on.

Intractable back pain, or maybe an excuse for numbing drugs????? She's got one pharmacist on board and he, it seems, is going away. Oh what to do, or who to screw, to keep on keeping on.....

Bobby 

post #53 of 399 Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 149
The stethoscope story was funny. It's crazy how the wealthy female doctor spent $1,300? on a scarf.
post #54 of 399 Old 06-24-2009, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I like the show, but there are some things that don't add up. Why would she hide her marriage from all her coworkers? It would be extremely difficult not to mention your children, husband, etc. for a decade. The way it is set up, it looks like she planned to have an affair to get drugs for her back, etc., from the beginning, thus her removing her ring. Or did I miss something, and the pharmacist is the ony one clueless? Also, since her husband seems like the perfect guy, her affair would suggest she has a self destructive personality - but she seems fairly normal and caring beside that.

Art
post #55 of 399 Old 06-24-2009, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Removing rings is something most ER nurses would do for reasons of sanitation and safety. Jackie seems to have developed differing reasons. I'm sure this will be revealed.
post #56 of 399 Old 06-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Why would she hide her marriage from all her coworkers? Art

My guess is that she is trying to hide her marriage from her pharmacist lover.

David M.
post #57 of 399 Old 06-25-2009, 01:54 PM

Liked: 11
I'm liking this show, but where it fails is there is only one real story arc--hers. With a show like 'Weeds', you've got Nancy's story lines but then they can switch to Doug, or to Celia, or to Shane, or to Andy's, etc. There's no character development on any of the supporting cast. And while I find Jackie's story compelling, it almost becomes too much of a 'Day In The Life Of'. They need to keep her the central character but there needs to be more of an interesting world around her.

-Matt
post #58 of 399 Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman41 View Post

I'm liking this show, but where it fails is there is only one real story arc--hers.

There is certainly no doubt that Edie Falco, as Nurse Jackie, is the star of the show. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed Eve Best as the gourmet fashion plate, Dr. O'hara, and Paul Schulze as the libidinous pharmacist, Eddie Walzer. I also like Merritt Wever as the naive nursing student, Zoey. I think all of them are off to an interesting start and that a lot more can be done with them.
post #59 of 399 Old 06-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 1574
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman41 View Post

I'm liking this show, but where it fails is there is only one real story arc--hers. With a show like 'Weeds', you've got Nancy's story lines but then they can switch to Doug, or to Celia, or to Shane, or to Andy's, etc. There's no character development on any of the supporting cast. And while I find Jackie's story compelling, it almost becomes too much of a 'Day In The Life Of'. They need to keep her the central character but there needs to be more of an interesting world around her.

I see it the same way. It's a decent show, but so far nothing that would make it a surprise if there was not a Season 2.

larry

I don't know Butchie instead
post #60 of 399 Old 06-26-2009, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Nurse Jackie got its season 2 renewal two weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page