Nurse Jackie on SHO - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 384 Old 06-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
 
pianoman41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Western MA USA
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

There is certainly no doubt that Edie Falco, as Nurse Jackie, is the star of the show. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed Eve Best as the gourmet fashion plate, Dr. O'hara, and Paul Schulze as the libidinous pharmacist, Eddie Walzer. I also like Merritt Wever as the naive nursing student, Zoey. I think all of them are off to an interesting start and that a lot more can be done with them.

Yes, but they don't have any story arcs of their own. While each of them has their own merits, the only time we see them (and learn about their characters) is whenever they are interacting with the central-focus Jackie character. Now that I think about it, I'm trying to recall a single scene anywhere in any of the first three shows where there is no Jackie but instead the support characters getting a story of their own. Other than the Zoey calling her mom on the cellphone in the bathroom (when she found the ear in the toilet), there hasn't been any.

Yes, Jackie is the star of the show, the same way that Nancy Botwin is the star of Weeds. But when I compare the two, I realize they could do an entire show without ever showing Nancy and the stories from the secondary characters could cover without a problem.

-Matt
pianoman41 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 384 Old 06-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
 
pianoman41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Western MA USA
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

I see it the same way. It's a decent show, but so far nothing that would make it a surprise if there was not a Season 2.

larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post

Nurse Jackie got its season 2 renewal two weeks ago.

Yup. The pilot had barely finished airing in all markets and Showtime announced the pickup.

-Matt
pianoman41 is offline  
post #63 of 384 Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman41 View Post

Yes, but they don't have any story arcs of their own. While each of them has their own merits, the only time we see them (and learn about their characters) is whenever they are interacting with the central-focus Jackie character. Now that I think about it, I'm trying to recall a single scene anywhere in any of the first three shows where there is no Jackie but instead the support characters getting a story of their own. Other than the Zoey calling her mom on the cellphone in the bathroom (when she found the ear in the toilet), there hasn't been any.

Yes, Jackie is the star of the show, the same way that Nancy Botwin is the star of Weeds. But when I compare the two, I realize they could do an entire show without ever showing Nancy and the stories from the secondary characters could cover without a problem.

I agree with the writers' decision to focus on Jackie herself in the early episodes of the series. After all, there have been only three of them so far. I can't imagine that we will not learn a lot more about the other characters before season's end.
gwsat is offline  
post #64 of 384 Old 06-29-2009, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 4,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Good episode tonight, and they did open up the storylines a bit with other characters.


The only thing that seemed off is the "I got a gunshot" stuff, way, way over the top.
Matt L is offline  
post #65 of 384 Old 06-30-2009, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 72
That was weird, the gunshot.
Good episode.
Young C is offline  
post #66 of 384 Old 07-02-2009, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 72
My mother and I had a conversation last night about the daughters drawing.
I think in my child hood, I used to draw the sun and other bright/happy things.

It does seem a little odd how she would not include smiley faces or the sun in her drawings.
Young C is offline  
post #67 of 384 Old 07-02-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Rutgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 5,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

My mother and I had a conversation last night about the daughters drawing.
I think in my child hood, I used to draw the sun and other bright/happy things.

It does seem a little odd how she would not include smiley faces or the sun in her drawings.

When I was a kid, I used to draw people getting their heads cut off with Guillotines and such. No one ever suggested I be put on drugs. And no, I never killed anyone or planned a school masacre.

Rutgar is offline  
post #68 of 384 Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

And no, I never killed anyone or planned a school masacre.

Yet... I used to draw air-sea battles with planes and ships.

For some reason, I liked this episode better than the others. And I can't really say why.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #69 of 384 Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Newbie
 
Ben_Jamin75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like the show, HATE Jackie's hair!
Ben_Jamin75 is offline  
post #70 of 384 Old 07-05-2009, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Happy birthday to Edie Falco today.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #71 of 384 Old 07-05-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ehren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Hell, 25 minutes south of Madison, WI
Posts: 1,344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I love this show, Falco is like a dark version of Ellen.
ehren is offline  
post #72 of 384 Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AlanSaysYo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not that this information does much good now, but the 5th episode (the one which I assume will appear tonight on Sho) appears to have been available on D* On Demand for the past few days (in SD and HD).
AlanSaysYo is offline  
post #73 of 384 Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSaysYo View Post

Not that this information does much good now, but the 5th episode (the one which I assume will appear tonight on Sho) appears to have been available on D* On Demand for the past few days (in SD and HD).

Ep 6 is up now on D* On-Demand.
rebkell is online now  
post #74 of 384 Old 07-13-2009, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Jamin75 View Post

I like the show, HATE Jackie's hair!

My friend who comes over and watches the show with me says the same.
He also says she is ugly.

I gotta catch up on last weeks episode before tonight's broadcast.
Young C is offline  
post #75 of 384 Old 07-13-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 4,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Seems they are expanding the stories nicely. The two mothers bit was fun.

Gotta give kudos to Peter F. hard to believe he is the same guy who did Van in Fastlane. Characters on opposite ends of the spectrum.
Matt L is offline  
post #76 of 384 Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 72
OK, I watched both episodes last night.
The dinner with Dr. Eleanor O'Hara and Zoey was too funny.

Does Dr. Eleanor O'Hara know about Jackie's drug problem? I think she does..
Jackie was snorting her pills, while O'Hara was keeping the door safe.

Nice to see Swoosie Kurtz (Law & Order: SVU's Judge Hilda Marsden) as the 2nd mother.
Young C is offline  
post #77 of 384 Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 14,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Does Dr. Eleanor O'Hara know about Jackie's drug problem? I think she does.. Jackie was snorting her pills, while O'Hara was keeping the door safe.

Nice to see Swoosie Kurtz (Law & Order: SVU's Judge Hilda Marsden) as the 2nd mother.

Actually Dr. O was guarding the door while Jackie was consolidating the medications for her dying nurse friend into the lethal dose the dying friend had requested. I don't think Dr. O knew about Jackie's drug problem at the time of this week's episode but the preview for next week, which ran immediately after this episode ended, suggested that she might have learned later.

They really rolled out big leaguers for this week's show. Swoozie Kurtz, who played one of the young doctor's mothers, is a long time favorite of mine. Blythe Danner, who played the other mother, and Judith Ivey, who played the dying nurse, have both won Tonys for their work on Broadway. This episode was brave, to say the least, and was very, very strong I thought. I am glad they assembled a guest cast worthy to do it justice. I have always admired Edie Falco's talent but she has been transcendent in this show.
gwsat is offline  
post #78 of 384 Old 07-14-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Did anyone else notice that Steve Buscemi has directed 3 episodes this season?
rdgrimes is offline  
post #79 of 384 Old 07-14-2009, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rebkell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 4,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Actually Dr. O was guarding the door while Jackie was consolidating the medications for her dying nurse friend into the lethal dose the dying friend had requested. I don't think Dr. O knew about Jackie's drug problem at the time of this week's episode but the preview for next week, which ran immediately after this episode ended, suggested that she might have learned later.

They really rolled out big leaguers for this week's show. Swoozie Kurtz, who played one of the young doctor's mothers, is a long time favorite of mine. Blythe Danner, who played the other mother, and Judith Ivey, who played the dying nurse, have both won Tonys for their work on Broadway. This episode was brave, to say the least, and was very, very strong I thought. I am glad they assembled a guest cast worthy to do it justice. I have always admired Edie Falco's talent but she has been transcendent in this show.

Just watched next week's episode On-Demand, and there will be more insight into that question in next week's episode.
rebkell is online now  
post #80 of 384 Old 07-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Moderator
 
PooperScooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Leominster MA
Posts: 19,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Did anyone else notice that Steve Buscemi has directed 3 episodes this season?

Yup.

This show is growing on me somewhat.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
PooperScooper is offline  
post #81 of 384 Old 07-15-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Camp Lake,WI
Posts: 1,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Actually Dr. O was guarding the door while Jackie was consolidating the medications for her dying nurse friend into the lethal dose the dying friend had requested. I don't think Dr. O knew about Jackie's drug problem at the time of this week's episode but the preview for next week, which ran immediately after this episode ended, suggested that she might have learned later.

Agreed. When Jackie snorted the "tiny time pills", and Dr. O asked if she was okay, I believe she thought Jackie was getting "sniffly" or emotional about what they were about to go through with.

Art
adpayne is offline  
post #82 of 384 Old 07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rutgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 5,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
After watching every episode, I've decided 30 minutes is just too short for what the show is. By the time they squeeze in room for the opening credits, and previews for the next show, the actual content always seems to just get started, and then... it's over.

Rutgar is offline  
post #83 of 384 Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Matt L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Flushing, MI
Posts: 4,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
They should do 45/45. Weeds and Jackie 90 minute block.
Matt L is offline  
post #84 of 384 Old 07-20-2009, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Anybody catch Dr. O'hara reading Jackie's bills? Did Dr. O'hara try and steal the bills, so she could pay for them? I was confused in that scene.
Good episode tonight.
Young C is offline  
post #85 of 384 Old 07-20-2009, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Anybody catch Dr. O'hara reading Jackie's bills? Did Dr. O'hara try and steal the bills, so she could pay for them? I was confused in that scene.
Good episode tonight.

She did, and hubby stole them back.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #86 of 384 Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
What was Dr O'hara's big issue tonight? I can't understand what she says a lot of the time, couldn't get the CC to work tonight either.
Keenan is online now  
post #87 of 384 Old 07-21-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HDTVChallenged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 8,353
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

What was Dr O'hara's big issue tonight? I can't understand what she says a lot of the time, couldn't get the CC to work tonight either.

Some kind of family crisis involving her sister and some cad ... I think. It seemed like something might have been left out in the edit.
HDTVChallenged is offline  
post #88 of 384 Old 07-21-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 28,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Some kind of family crisis involving her sister and some cad ... I think. It seemed like something might have been left out in the edit.

That's about all I got out of it as well, although I thought they were talking about her dad doing something bad, and I only got that from Jackie's husband's comment about being a crook, something to that effect anyway.
Keenan is online now  
post #89 of 384 Old 07-21-2009, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Rutgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 5,446
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

She did, and hubby stole them back.

He did? I must have missed that. Did he dig into her purse?

Rutgar is offline  
post #90 of 384 Old 07-28-2009, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Young C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,910
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Loved last night's episode.
The confrontation with Coop was messy. Coop going around telling Eddie that she has a child was dishonest.
I wasn't sure what sparked Grace/Gracy's emotions at the very end. Jackie was singing and Grace seemed happy. All of a sudden Grace got sad.
Young C is offline  
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off