post #91 of 384 Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

They really rolled out big leaguers for this week's show. Swoozie Kurtz, who played one of the young doctor's mothers, is a long time favorite of mine. Blythe Danner, who played the other mother, and Judith Ivey, who played the dying nurse, have both won Tonys for their work on Broadway.

A very interesting cast pairing here, as these two were together in another fine (and now defunct) series: "Huff", which also starred Hank Azeria and Oliver Pratt.

In "Huff" Blythe Danner was the wife and Swoozie Kurtz player her mother (who was dying of cancer).

I had a "Nurse Jackie" marathon last night, finally catching up on six consecutive DVR'd episodes starting back from June 22 right up to this week.

I am REALLY liking this series now, after a questionable start with the pilot and episode 2. Maybe it's the Steve Buscemi touch.

I really really liked the episode where the old nurse with terminal cancer "enlists" the assistance of her former nurse colleagues to help her avoid hospice. Very very touching and superbly written, directed and acted, by all involved.

Also, that scene sequence with Andrea Martin and her two daughters (with their own obvious personal lifelong rivalry) meeting Dr. Cooper, and then Coop running into the "no BS" sister in the lobby trying to make a phone call and asking her if she thought her sister would go out with him, and the sister giving him the absolute best F-you I've seen in a long time... well that was just superb.

Also, Eddie the pharmacist has developed nicely as a much more sympathetic character. And Dr. O'Hara is terrific. And Zoey is terrific. And Momo is great. The whole ensemble is really starting to click, obviously due to some terrific storyline ideas and implementation.

This one's a keeper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 384 Old 07-29-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

A very interesting cast pairing here, as these two were together in another fine (and now defunct) series: "Huff", which also starred Hank Azeria and Oliver Pratt.

In "Huff" Blythe Danner was the wife and Swoozie Kurtz player her mother (who was dying of cancer).

Are you sure about the above, Blythe Danner played Huff's mother, Swoozie I remember on the show, maybe she was Beth's(Huff's wife) mother, I can't remember exactly. But I'm almost positive Blythe was Huff's mother and Byrd's grandmother. She did fool around with Pratt, which really caused some friction.
post #93 of 384 Old 07-29-2009, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

Also, that scene sequence with Andrea Martin and her two daughters (with their own obvious personal lifelong rivalry) meeting Dr. Cooper, and then Coop running into the "no BS" sister in the lobby trying to make a phone call and asking her if she thought her sister would go out with him, and the sister giving him the absolute best F-you I've seen in a long time... well that was just superb.

And Dr. O'Hara is terrific.

Yes, that was harsh.
I thought Coop was going to ask her out.

O'Hara is great. My newest "TV crush"
post #94 of 384 Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

O'Hara is great. My newest "TV crush"

I find myself really laughing out loud (as if a great joke had just been told, but it's actually only super-sarcasm), and cheering, at some of the dialog and scene outcomes.

The whole O'hara-takes-the-stethoscope-from-Zoey line was beautiful. When Zoey lifted it off of a supposedly sleeping O'Hara on the bench, and the obviously not sleeping O'Hara gave her the "well done, Zoey" attaboy afterwards, it was perfect closure for a completely entertaining side-trip arc.

Also, the introduction of O'Hara into Jackie's homelife and physical homespace, spending the night and waking up the next morning to share time with the kids like a non-diva... very surprising and unexpected actually, and endearing (although the not quite fully clear details of the utility bill issue seem to have somehow confounded all of us).
post #95 of 384 Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

Are you sure about the above, Blythe Danner played Huff's mother, Swoozie I remember on the show, maybe she was Beth's(Huff's wife) mother, I can't remember exactly. But I'm almost positive Blythe was Huff's mother and Byrd's grandmother. She did fool around with Pratt, which really caused some friction.

Blythe Danner was Huff's mother and Swoozie was Beth's mother dying of cancer. IMDB is your friend.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #96 of 384 Old 07-29-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 530
You can tell what a New York-centric show Nurse Jackie is by the frequent appearances of first class Broadway folks. This week it was Andrea Martin, as Mrs. Greenfield. She has won a Tony and was nominated for several others, all for her performances in musicals. To prove that she is not a one trick pony, she has won two Emmys for her writing.

I really enjoyed this week's show. Coop's continuing development as a meanspirited gossip has made him more intriguing. I suspect that his real problem is simple cluelessness, as demonstrated by his painful conversation with Mrs. Greenfield's no nonsense daughter, but I don't really know what he might be thinking. By the way Mrs. Greenfield's other daughter, played by the beautiful Jill Flint, is a regular on Royal Pains.
post #97 of 384 Old 07-29-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Blythe Danner was Huff's mother and Swoozie was Beth's mother dying of cancer. IMDB is your friend.

Indeed, you are absolutely correct. My mistake.

Of course, in my own [inexcusable, really] defense I had just come off of a 6-episode marathon of this show, plus 3-episodes of "Time Warp", and decided to write up my very positive feeling about "Nurse Jackie". My brain completely mal-functioned.

Absolutely, Huff's mother, and Beth's mother.

Really a shame about "Huff" though... I thought that was a very good show, if a very large bit off-center with its characters and storylines (think the Oliver Pratt and his drugs and his girlfriends, and Huff's brother characters specifically). I really enjoyed one of the late episodes where Angelica Houston gets Huff to do peyote during the ongoing struggle between Huff and his wife Paget Brewster (who I love) when they were "on a break". Very sophisticated characters and storylines in this show. Obviously too much for the masses.
post #98 of 384 Old 07-29-2009, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Indeed, you are absolutely correct. My mistake.

Of course, in my own [inexcusable, really] defense I had just come off of a 6-episode marathon of this show, plus 3-episodes of "Time Warp", and decided to write up my very positive feeling about "Nurse Jackie". My brain completely mal-functioned.

Absolutely, Huff's mother, and Beth's mother.

Really a shame about "Huff" though... I thought that was a very good show, if a very large bit off-center with its characters and storylines (think the Oliver Pratt and his drugs and his girlfriends, and Huff's brother characters specifically). I really enjoyed one of the late episodes where Angelica Houston gets Huff to do peyote during the ongoing struggle between Huff and his wife Paget Brewster (who I love) when they were "on a break". Very sophisticated characters and storylines in this show. Obviously too much for the masses.

It was a great show, I was really disappointed when I found out it wasn't coming back. I also liked Russell's secretary Maggie(Liza Lapira, she was also agent Lee on NCIS for a long stretch).
post #99 of 384 Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm a "Warpie" myself
post #100 of 384 Old 08-04-2009, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jackie's nose was bleeding! awhhh %@)Q#(&*SFH
She was a bit harsh to Dr. O'Hara when she said something like "Not your sister, better think about that."
Coop making out while on call was crazy, how irresponsible! ha
Jackie was pissed off and lied about Coop calling the T.O.D. on that one brain injury car crash. Somebody's in trouble
post #101 of 384 Old 08-04-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There was a lot of good stuff in this week's episode. Coop is an interesting guy. He is smart but, so far at least, has demonstrated a mental age of about 13 -- if that.

For the first time I felt sorry for the nurse administrator, Gloria Akalitus, when she had to give up the baby to which she had become so attacked. Akalitus is a nasty piece of work in some ways, maybe most ways, but that scene was sad.

Jackie's situational ethics continue to make my hair stand on end. In addition to her usual serial lies to coverup her marriage and her drug use, this week she went so far at to tear the page from Zoey's notebook, which would have revealed that Jackie lied to Zoey earlier in the episode when she denied to Zoey about telling her not to have a doctor look at the homeless man's blistered foot when he had last been in the hospital. The consequences of that one, the homeless man losing his foot, and Jackie's lying to the family of a guy killed in an accident about being an organ donor were all of a piece.
post #102 of 384 Old 08-11-2009, 05:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Another excellent episode this week. I am really getting into this show. Her Robin Hood do-good acts of genuine "take matters into my own hands" humanity are very touching, and in total contrast with her drug addict alter ego.

The breaking her own finger to alibi the cutting off of her wedding band was very well conceived and portrayed.

And O'Hara's hysteria when Jacks informs her that (a) Zoey barged in on her and Eddie, and (b) she kissed Cooper, was wonderful.

The little pause outside after leaving the hospital, to practice a bit of the dance class move, and then to have Chris's cell phone ring and have to inform whoever was on the other end that he was dead... very thoughtful and poignant scene.

Great show.
post #103 of 384 Old 08-11-2009, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The cutting of the wedding band was harsh. Some meaningful marriage she has
Yeah, O'Hara laughing in her chair was a hoot. Love her.
The very end with the tap dancing feet was a lil weird. (Not Jackie dancing outside, but in the class.. where everybody showed their feet.)
Good show.
post #104 of 384 Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

And O'Hara's hysteria when Jacks informs her that (a) Zoey barged in on her and Eddie, and (b) she kissed Cooper, was wonderful.

That scene was spectacular. O'Hara's (or as she would say it "O'Haahra") sitting there laughing uncontrollably was priceless, especially after Jackie hit her with the Copper kiss. I was not familiar with Eve Best's work before Nurse Jackie aired but she is a piece of work. She dominates any scene that she's in and considering that most of her scenes are with the great Edie Falco, that's saying something.
post #105 of 384 Old 08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree that the dynamic between Jackie and O'Hara is wonderful. They are smart, seasoned old pros who like and respect each other. They are a lot of fun together.
post #106 of 384 Old 08-25-2009, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow. The bar scene where the 2 guys were talking was crazy. I for sure, thought Eddie was going to tell the husband what was going on. In the end, when Jackie downed the 3 bottles of liquid was intense. That much 'pure' medicine ingested like that would kill you? ha
This was a great season finale.
post #107 of 384 Old 08-25-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I watched the whole season, but I fail to see the point of the show. What is Jackies motivation to behave the way she does? He has a terrific husband who looks at least 10 years younger than her, yet apparently she will sleep with/kiss just about anyone to get what she wants. The fact that she removes her wedding ring at work reveals that she has probably been messing around before Eddie. I don't know any women who never discuss their kids - or don't display their pictures at their workplace. They haven't given much background to any of the characters on the show, and when they do, it is hard to follow. Like when O'hara spent the night, and they show the end of a conversation about her family.
There are funny moments, and lots of drama, but it is mostly depressing.

If things don't pick up quickly next season, this show will be on life support for me.

Art
post #108 of 384 Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

What is Jackies motivation to behave the way she does? He has a terrific husband who looks at least 10 years younger than her, yet apparently she will sleep with/kiss just about anyone to get what she wants.

Yes. I agree. I always ponder this. Is it the s8x? Her personal life s8x isn't that great, so she's sleeping around for a better time?

She has a loving and caring husband and 2 kids. What's the need to see Eddie? (besides the free drugs.)
post #109 of 384 Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Yes. I agree. I always ponder this. Is it the s8x? Her personal life s8x isn't that great, so she's sleeping around for a better time?

She has a loving and caring husband and 2 kids. What's the need to see Eddie? (besides the free drugs.)

Do you always know why you do everything you do? Ever do anything you shouldn't while knowing you shouldn't do it?
post #110 of 384 Old 08-25-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ha. Ok ok
post #111 of 384 Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Do you always know why you do everything you do? Ever do anything you shouldn't while knowing you shouldn't do it?

I know what you're getting at, but this is very planned out behavior - not apparently impulsive. Thinking logically, she has only worked at this hospital a few years (after her youngest daughter was born). However, she has completely hidden her personal life from everyone but O'Hara. Why hide all that if you don't have a plan to sleep around? I don't see how someone who cares so much about other people, that she routinely breaks the law to make things right, would put her closest relationship in such jeopardy.

I'm sure the creators have an answer to my questions, but they haven't answered much in a full season. The acting is fantastic across the board, but I need a reason to care about her character - and right now I don't.

Jackie is like a sociopath with empathy - a true oxymoron if there ever was one!

Art
post #112 of 384 Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Jackie is like a sociopath with empathy - a true oxymoron if there ever was one!

I agree, at least partially. I have said before that Jackie is somehow a moral person but applies her moral standards in a highly self-serving manner. Much, probably most, of that, of course, is attributable to Jackie's hidden drug addiction. Her addiction was often treated lightheartedly in earlier episodes but was not sugarcoated in the season finale, to say the least. Addicts who are out of control, as Jackie certainly is, do inexplicable things. The show continues to fascinate me.
post #113 of 384 Old 08-25-2009, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

but applies her moral standards in a highly self-serving manner

Sounds like most people I know.
post #114 of 384 Old 08-26-2009, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Self reward is one of the most basic and powerful motivations we have as humans. Many people have done great things when getting something for themselves out of it. And it's in that context that I think most people are at their best. Of course, as in all things, their has to be a balance.

I really enjoyed this show. I'm looking forward to the next season. And I still say that this show begs for hour long epiesodes.

post #115 of 384 Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Self reward is one of the most basic and powerful motivations we have as humans. Many people have done great things when getting something for themselves out of it. And it's in that context that I think most people are at their best. Of course, as in all things, their has to be a balance.

But most women act based on the benefit to others. I guess you could say their self reward is feeling good for doing so, but Jackie is almost a split personality. If it turns out drugs are her only motivation for her actions I'll give up on the show. I have no problem with people being portrayed as being both good and bad, but drug use doesn't explain many things. I also don't understand how she can be so medicated, and not show any outward signs, ever! Even with a high tolerance there should be some indications.

Look at Anna Nicole, and other celebs who were on "presciption medication". It was obvious they were high, and they had very high tolerance.

Art
post #116 of 384 Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 AM

Liked: 10
IMHO this is all about addiction....Jackie will do anything for the drugs.....including using the guy that runs the pharmacy. She knows how to cover her tracks well. For her OD in the middle of the hospital she left the evidence in plain view.....she's desperate for help.

I've read there's lots of people in the medical profession that are addicts...probably from easy access to drugs.

Next season could be fun as she is forced to enter rehap and attend meetings. I'm looking forward to season 2.
post #117 of 384 Old 08-26-2009, 10:43 AM

This season felt very short, just when it was about to really get down and dirty this 30 minute mess ended and now we will have to wait for season 2.

I don't think Zoe made the mistake, I think the machine did (or the person who is responsible for stocking it). Case in point; Zoe knew how much to give the guy but had the wrong bottle. Each nurse/doctor needs to input the medication they want as well as the passcode to detail who is taking out the meds. Wouldn't the people in charge of the hospitol have checked the machine to track the withdrawl of meds under Zoe to insure no other mistakes were made by her? I would think if I was Zoe or her mentor Jackie that I would have checked the machine first; anything to hopefully protect a fellow nurse.

I think they are using this as a seque (spelling) to bring Eddie back, the machine didn't function properly and it almost killed a patient. (if my theory is correct about Zoe-gate). This could lead to some good drama next season when Jackie's habits and relationships start becoming known to more people.

I think the friendship between O'hara and Jakie is just about over now. O'hara made it perfectly clear she needed Jackie at that moment and even quietly called for her when her mother arrived but Jackie was too busy getting high. I think this season should have lasted for a minimum of 2 more episodes to kind of let the chips fall and give people more to talk about.

I find Jackie facinating because of the "Good and Evil" in her. She is two seperate people that you wouldn't normaly think could function as one individual on a daily basis. For all her faults; if I was a patient I would be happy to have her as my nurse. I think that is telling of the theme they are trying to convey; that although people may make bad decisions it doesn't make them bad people. Even the most extreme behaviors can exist for individuals that hold such a wholesome and genuine outward appearance.

At least I have Dexter to keep me company soon, TB is almost over and although some might not agree I think Dexter is a better show then it anyways.
post #118 of 384 Old 08-27-2009, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

But most women act based on the benefit to others. I guess you could say their self reward is feeling good for doing so, but Jackie is almost a split personality. If it turns out drugs are her only motivation for her actions I'll give up on the show. I have no problem with people being portrayed as being both good and bad, but drug use doesn't explain many things. I also don't understand how she can be so medicated, and not show any outward signs, ever! Even with a high tolerance there should be some indications.

Look at Anna Nicole, and other celebs who were on "presciption medication". It was obvious they were high, and they had very high tolerance.

Art

The signs are probably more obvious to those who really choose to look. The druggie nurse that Jackie threw out knew instantly ("it takes one to know one"). Eddie certainly knows and it's likely O'Hara does as well. Jackie's drug use really hit a low when she was chugging down injection bottles of morphine. It was pretty desparate stuff. I recall that she has a low back problem so maybe the use and then overuse of pain killers started it. She probably uses as a way to cope with all of the complications of her life: a very high stress job, a marriage with two needy kids and an affair on the side with the wall between them always on the verge on crumbling, some financial problems and lord knows what else. I'm sure that some people with easy access to meds might be tempted under those circumstances
post #119 of 384 Old 10-23-2009, 05:31 AM

Nurse Jackie shoots on the ARRIFLEX D-21 digital HD camera.
They record to Sony HDCAM-SR tape in Log C 4:4:4.
Color correction is done as 4:2:2.
The show is delivered as a 1080i master.

'Post Magazine' October 2009
http://www.postmagazine.com/ME2/dirm...173A624A35243B

These other shows also shoot on the same camera (for comparison)
Bored To Death - HBO
Community - NBC
Supernatural - CW
HawthoRNe - TNT
"V" - ABC
post #120 of 384 Old 10-23-2009, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was reading up on older women and found out Edie Falco had/has breast cancer.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page