Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Just a reminder...

Season 3 debuts Monday night March 28, 10PM EST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Thanks. "United States of Tara" premieres on Monday night too too (after "Jackie").
Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Reminder: Nurse Jackie season 3 starts Monday night.

The DirecTV guide does not list it as HD so a manual record may be required. I know my DVRs had it set not to record because of that glitch.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoon View Post
Reminder: Nurse Jackie season 3 starts Monday night.

The DirecTV guide does not list it as HD so a manual record may be required. I know my DVRs had it set not to record because of that glitch.
Same here, I set it an hour or so ago, I probably would have missed it entirely if Tara hadn't been in the list and I thought they were coming back at the same time.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Looking forward for the premier.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young C View Post

Looking forward for the premier.

I'm watching it on OnDemand allegedly in HD. It's clearly not HD and looks like an SD 480i image. It's not full screen and has letterbox bars. It's pretty awful looking and I can't imagine what Showtime is doing here.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I'm watching it on OnDemand allegedly in HD. It's clearly not HD and looks like an SD 480i image. It's not full screen and has letterbox bars. It's pretty awful looking and I can't imagine what Showtime is doing here.

That's a bummer, Cal.

I have Dishnetwork Showtime-HD and my feed (video & audio) was fine.

Might I add, the season opener was fantastic.
Might be too early to discuss the episode, I'll chime in tomorrow or something.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

That's a bummer, Cal.

I watched Tara after Nurse Jackie, again on On Demand HD and it was a true HD image. Maybe Showtime sent the wrong version of NJ up or didn't have the HD version ready to go.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

That's a bummer, Cal.

I think it's fair game after it airs. I think the supporting cast has really grown into their roles, Zoe is a total hoot, of course she always has been. Everyone seems more relaxed in their roles, in previous seasons it seemed like they were a bit over the top at times(probably the writing more than the actors).
Old 03-29-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My prediction:

Someone is getting fired for little or no reason other then economics. Nice to see they are finally talking about the economic woes in healthcare. Hell, if they tried to start Zoe as a new grad today it would be highly unrealistic.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I watched Tara after Nurse Jackie, again on On Demand HD and it was a true HD image. Maybe Showtime sent the wrong version of NJ up or didn't have the HD version ready to go.

Glad to hear it. :thumbup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post

I think it's fair game after it airs.

Agreed. I'm on this new forum, and since we're all scattered over the states, people complain about time zones. I could catch a TV show at 9:00 PM CST, but other people will be different. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

My prediction:

Someone is getting fired for little or no reason other then economics. Nice to see they are finally talking about the economic woes in healthcare. Hell, if they tried to start Zoe as a new grad today it would be highly unrealistic.

You might be right. Akalitus was talking about all the hospitals closing and such.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

My prediction:

Someone is getting fired for little or no reason other then economics.

I am not sure about that. Normally shows add characters, not eliminate them. Of course, they could bring on someone else, but increasing the cast is the norm.

Quote:
Nice to see they are finally talking about the economic woes in healthcare. Hell, if they tried to start Zoe as a new grad today it would be highly unrealistic.

If I want to hear about the state of healthcare I will turn on CNN. I would prefer this remain about the people and their lives. The hospital is just a set. Also, hospitals aren't bringing on grads? That would surprise me since new people cost less than experienced ones. That's an easy way for an organization to cut costs.

Jackie was again great in ep 1. She is a hard person to argue with. I guess people who are dependent on drugs are very good in protecting that.

David M.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
If I want to hear about the state of healthcare I will turn on CNN. I would prefer this remain about the people and their lives. The hospital is just a set. Also, hospitals aren't bringing on grads? That would surprise me since new people cost less than experienced ones. That's an easy way for an organization to cut costs.
Well, even as a set, it is something very real going on and effects everyone in healthcare, including nurses.

Hospitals are not hiring new grads right now because of two major factors:
  1. With the budget cuts the way they are; most hospitals are on a hiring freeze.
  2. New grad require training for that hospital. Different codes, training etc. Very similar to when they introduced Zoe in Season 1. Also new grad rarely have any ceritifications and have to be babysat in most scenarios. So cheaper is not always better. A hospital is not going to fire their CCRN that is making over 100k so they can hire a new grad to make half of that and cannot do more than 99% of the responsibilities critical care nurses have.

Even with the nurses that burnout because they are "sick of being under appreciated waitresses," hospitals are hiring at a slower rate then they are losing employees.

My DVD Collection
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Merritt Wever brings undoctored flair to 'Nurse Jackie'
Actress brings an earnest lack of affectation to the role of Zoey Barkow on the Showtime offering starring Edie Falco.
By Melissa Maerz, Los Angeles Times

Reporting from New York —— When it comes to awkwardness, Merritt Wever is a Zen master. As Zoey Barkow, the eager puppy of a junior nurse who trails Edie Falco's character on "Nurse Jackie," the 30-year-old actress can perform a scene over and over with serious focus, all while wearing pink hospital scrubs imprinted with bunnies. During the show's third season, which began Monday, she eats doughnuts without using her hands, stacking them up into a tower and hollowing them out with her teeth. She flaps her arms, calling herself a "very sexy gazelle," and jumps rope in a way that no bra should be forced to withstand.

With her endearing goofiness and flair for slapstick, Wever's defining a new kind of "it" girl — the kind who'd no doubt roll her eyes at anyone who'd ever use the term "it" girl. But over the last few years, she's snagged memorable scenes in indie film favorites such as Lena Dunham's "Tiny Furniture" and Noah Baumbach's "Greenberg," playing the role of the charmingly geeky best friend so believably that Dunham still hangs out with her today. Like Dunham and Wever's "Greenberg" costar Greta Gerwig, she belongs to a generation of actresses who've transformed a certain slouchy, clumsy, earnest lack of affectation into a legitimate acting technique of its own.

That no-big-deal performance style has elevated her from sidekick to bona fide star on "Nurse Jackie." Watching Wever flop around unselfconsciously on screen, it's easy to forget that looking like you're not acting takes a lot of hard work.

When Wever arrives at a cafe in Brooklyn, looking fresh-faced with long, wavy, wash-and-go hair and no makeup, she seems far more reserved and soft-spoken than Zoey — which might be why it's so funny to see her transformed into a brash, unhinged creature on screen.

"I like getting to do physical comedy," she says, in between great, fluffy bites of omelet. "I don't feel like there's that many opportunities for young women my age to get to flail around and become" — her voice suddenly takes on the faux-serious tone of a movie voice-over — "the master of her own comic destiny."

Sometimes it seems as if Wever simply willed Zoey into being, or sprang fully formed from Zoey's pastel-scrunchie-adorned head. Originally, the character was supposed to be a very conventional medical drama type, and a woman of color. "When Merritt walked in, I almost laughed because it was like 'You're at the wrong audition!'" says Linda Wallem, one of the show's creators. "But then she started reading and my palms got sweaty. She was just like Jackie 20 or 30 years ago. She was Jackie's more innocent self."

Now, Wallem says she and co-creator Liz Brixius occasionally leave the ending of a scene ambiguous, just so Wever can improvise. She remembers the day Wever decided her character should spontaneously hug Jackie (who's not a hugger) for an uncomfortably long time. Seeing Falco's pained expression, Wallem prayed that no one would crack up and ruin the take.

"Merritt will say every word you've written in the script, but then she'll add something totally unexpected, like she'll curtsy, or pat Jackie on the back, and everyone will just lose it," explains Brixius. "Part of what makes comedy work is the element of surprise, and when we're laughing on set, it's usually because, oh my God, Merritt, what did you just do?"

Wever admits that she's never exactly hated getting attention. Born to a single, progressive mother who used a sperm donor, she used to sit in on the weekly, left-leaning activist meetings her mom held at their New York apartment because, "embarrassingly, it was an audience."

Recognizing her love of performing, her mother enrolled her in everything from dance classes to the children's choir of the Metropolitan Opera. She even sent Wever to a liberal Jewish summer camp where she sang pro-union, pro-labor songs in Yiddish. It wasn't until she attended LaGuardia Arts high school that she began auditioning in earnest, eventually winning parts in off-Broadway plays. (She still occasionally does theater and will soon appear in a New York production of the Tony Kushner play "The Illusionist.")

Though she'd go on to win small parts in "Michael Clayton" and "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," Zoey has become her breakthrough role — almost accidentally. The more subtle her comedy — no one else can do the very slight, confused-cocker-spaniel head tilt like Wever — the more she got noticed.

"I remember in Season 1, some magazine called her a scene stealer," remembers Brixius. "Merritt was horrified that anybody would see her that way."

Now she's finally embracing it — with that awkward, too-long embrace that Wever does so well. This season, Zoey's emerging more often from behind her tuna-and-raisin-bread sandwiches to take on more screen time. She's moved into what Wever calls "full-blown b-friend, g-friend" status with the EMT guy, and she may have another suitor on the way. She's even started a blog. The inspired title is "Nursing It Yo!"

Meanwhile, Wever's moving past the bunny scrubs into something a little bolder: frog scrubs. "For a long time, I thought that as long as I wasn't wearing pink scrubs, nobody would recognize me," says Wever, breaking into a crooked smile. "Luckily, it hasn't worked out that way."

NURSE JACKIE
Mondays at 10 p.m. on Showtime

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,2605484.story
Old 04-30-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Gotta say it... I'm not particularly lovin' this season.

Nothing's really happening, the pace of what is no longer happening is also slowing, the humor level has dropped DRASTICALLY, O'Hara and Jackie don't seem to be main characters, the blue pills storyline is now getting very tiresome and boring, and Merritt Wever has been hugely under-featured after it appeared her romantic involvement might be fodder for a good side story, only to be dropped.

Eddie is not a likable guy and never shaves and looks like a homeless person, and yet he's now a central character and involved with Kev's sister who's a random new character who entered and already seems to have left the screen? This is a good direction to take the show and story line??

Very disappointed.

And based on the astonishing non-activity in this thread, I would venture to guess that either (a) nobody is watching, or (b) nobody likes the show any longer, or (c) nobody cares about discussing the show any longer because there's really nothing to comment on. So apparently my own reaction to this season is not unique to me.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I have actually been enjoying it. I agree that there doesn't seem to be a clear direction and the episodes are more one-offs, but I love Jackie and Zooey.

Quote:

Nothing's really happening, the pace of what is no longer happening is also slowing, the humor level has dropped DRASTICALLY, O'Hara and Jackie don't seem to be main characters, the blue pills storyline is now getting very tiresome and boring, and Merritt Wever has been hugely under-featured after it appeared her romantic involvement might be fodder for a good side story, only to be dropped.

Eddie is not a likable guy and never shaves and looks like a homeless person, and yet he's now a central character and involved with Kev's sister who's a random new character who entered and already seems to have left the screen? This is a good direction to take the show and story line??

Why does he have to shave for you to like him? I really like how he continually calls out Jackie and challenges her. He is a real person to me.

Quote:

Very disappointed.

And based on the astonishing non-activity in this thread, I would venture to guess that either (a) nobody is watching, or (b) nobody likes the show any longer, or (c) nobody cares about discussing the show any longer because there's really nothing to comment on. So apparently my own reaction to this season is not unique to me.

It has been quiet and I agree there has been less to write about but I am still enjoying it.

David M.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
I don't have any problem with what we've seen so far. Pretty much just more of the same. New characters are coming in and the story is moving forward. I don't think we've yet seen enough consequences for Jackie's behavior, but I'm betting we will. They've clearly established that she's not yet hit bottom, and her new pusher is trying his best to help her do it. She's starting to realize that she has a problem that she can't control.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 323
I have no complaints, too. The show is still very good and I watch it every week.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 04-30-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I still like it as well. It does seem that they got past the big season ending discovery/intervention awfully quickly and easily though. I was expecting more...consequences. This seems more like a simple continuation of days gone by, but still entertaining.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
Old 04-30-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Zooey might be heading for a burnout. #1 reason for nurses quitting. Not the best season, but entertaining enough.

My DVD Collection
Old 05-04-2011, 05:37 AM

Good episode on Monday. Jackie is definitely a piece of work.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I do agree that it is some-what repetitive. Same basic storyline. Drugs, lying to husband, leading Eddie on, etc. It's not like "Dexter" where we have a whole new storyline for the new season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Good episode on Monday. Jackie is definitely a piece of work.

larry

I agree. Good episode.

I don't like how Jackie has that "hold" on Eddie. She told Eddie something like "Please don't date her." I think Eddie should be able to date around.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:

I don't like how Jackie has that "hold" on Eddie. She told Eddie something like "Please don't date her." I think Eddie should be able to date around.

The funny thing about that is she is being honest!! Compare that with most everything else about her.

larry

Old 05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

The funny thing about that is she is being honest!! Compare that with most everything else about her.

larry

It's also probably true that Jackie is sincerely wishing that Eddie not get sucked into her whacko sister-in-law's life. She is a nut-job to be sure. Jackie's allowed to have more than one reason to do something. She's doing Eddie a favor no matter what the reason.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It's also probably true that Jackie is sincerely wishing that Eddie not get sucked into her whacko sister-in-law's life. She is a nut-job to be sure. Jackie's allowed to have more than one reason to do something. She's doing Eddie a favor no matter what the reason.

That's a good point.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

TV Notes
Showtime Picks Up 'Nurse Jackie' For 4th Season, Cancels 'United States Of Tara'
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - May 23rd, 2011

Showtime has renewed dark comedy series Nurse Jackie for a fourth season. Meanwhile, it's the end of the road for fellow comedy United States of Tara, which is being canceled after three seasons. Additionally, Showtime's drama The Borgias, which has already been renewed for a second season, wrapped its freshman run last night.

Nurse Jackie, which earned star Edie Falco an Emmy last year, is created, written and executive produced by Liz Brixius and Linda Wallem, with Richie Jackson also executive producing. While not a runaway hit, the series has averaged 762,000 viewers on Monday night and 2.8 million weekly viewers so far this season. (For comparison, Season 4 of Showtime's Californication averaged 2.4 million weekly viewers. The freshman season of breakout comedy The Big C drew 3.5 million)

Tara, which also won star Toni Collette an Emmy, has been sliding in the ratings, fueling speculation over the past couple of months that its current third season will be its last. Season to date, the series has averaged 326,000 viewers in its Monday 10:30 PM slot, down from 558,000 for Season 2. Its weekly viewership has dropped from 2.7 million last season to 1.9 million. With 3.3 million weekly viewers, The Borgias' first season outperformed the highest-rated season of The Tudors by 20%. In its season finale last night, The Borgias drew 810,000 viewers at 10 PM and 1.12 million viewers for the night.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/show...fourth-season/
Old 05-23-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think Showtime should have kept United States of Tara. Their Monday night lineup was fantastic, IMO.

Nurse Jackie at 9:00 PM and then USoT at 9:30 PM.

Thanks for the news, dad.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Thanks Dad

Tara seems a little out this season. Jackie is still fun IMO.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

TV Notes
Showtime Picks Up 'Nurse Jackie' For 4th Season, Cancels 'United States Of Tara'
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - May 23rd, 2011

The Borgias' first season outperformed the highest-rated season of The Tudors by 20%. http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/show...fourth-season/

Glad that others are enjoying THE BORGIAS...the last three episodes in particular were exceptional! Predicting Golden Globe for Irons.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:58 AM

What's the deal with Jackie walking down the middle of the road?? The lie detector test scene was great! The new guy Kelly has been a good addition to the show.

larry