post #271 of 2117 Old 10-22-2009, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

When did Emma sing? I saw Will singing the "Thong Song" then he fell over her dress and that was the end of the scene (as Tanaka looks on).

In the bridal shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2117 Old 10-22-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

When did Emma sing? I saw Will singing the "Thong Song" then he fell over her dress and that was the end of the scene (as Tanaka looks on).

It was later in the show when Emma bought another wedding dress and Will was with her at the fitting. They danced to her singing "I Could Have Danced All Night".
post #273 of 2117 Old 10-22-2009, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

It was later in the show when Emma bought another wedding dress and Will was with her was at the fitting. They danced to her singing "I Could Have Danced All Night".

That's odd, I watched the whole show and didn't see that scene. Wow, just checked Hulu. That whole section between the commercials I don't recall ever seeing. I watched it off my DVR from D*.
post #274 of 2117 Old 10-22-2009, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I agree that Will the rapper needs to go and that the fake pregnancy is going to end up being a "good way" for Will to get out of his marriage.

I really like Puck and Emma's songs. 'Bout time Puck got some lead time. Emma was a pleasant surprise. I do miss me some of the Kurt character. He's hilarious.

I've alluded to it before, but I easily look forward to this show the most each week. Soon as some commercial buffer is in, I'm watching it. Great stuff.
post #275 of 2117 Old 10-22-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I think we can safely put the "Glee is in trouble" rumors to bed for a while.

Uh, yeah, this show isn't going away anytime soon.
post #276 of 2117 Old 10-22-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
The title of this week's episode is "Mash Up," and it's all about mash up's that don't work: Ken and Emma (and the songs they've chosen for their wedding), Emma and Will (because he's married), Rachel and Puck (because they're really in love with other people), Finn and Quinn (because she's lying about the baby and he has feelings for Rachel), Quinn and Puck (because she thinks he's a Lima looser - at least until last night - and she thinks Finn would be a better father for her baby), Sue and Rod (because they're both self involved froot loops). I think the reason the episode didn't play as well for me as usual is that the writing felt like too much of a mash up, too. Maybe it was a little too ambitious, or there were too many writers contributing, but it did feel somewhat forced. That's OK. There was still lots to like, and it did move the story along well. I have a feeling I'll like it more on the second viewing.

Joe Clark

post #277 of 2117 Old 10-22-2009, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I was just cruising YouTube and ran into two clips of wedding dances that break into a performance to the Don't Stop Believin audio track from Glee. They are both so cute and funny and confirm that Glee is working its way into our cultural vocabulary. Each clip goes into the track just past the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjzofT3Aq2w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ9pYCaqSHk
post #278 of 2117 Old 10-22-2009, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
My 16 year old grandson is as crazy about Glee as I am, which I guess says something about the universality of its appeal. I thought last night's show was a hoot. I particularly enjoyed Puck's non affair with Rachel and the first indication I had noticed that he has real feelings for Quinn. The plot thickens, to say the least.
post #279 of 2117 Old 10-22-2009, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

My 16 year old grandson is as crazy about Glee as I am, which I guess says something about the universality of its appeal. I thought last night's show was a hoot. I particularly enjoyed Puck's non affair with Rachel and the first indication I had noticed that he has real feelings for Quinn. The plot thickens, to say the least.

You're absolutely right. Glee's appeal really is intoxicating. I pity the person who couldn't be seduced by it.

Joe Clark

post #280 of 2117 Old 10-22-2009, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are quite few closeups of Quinn and Puck when something is happening between Finn/Rachel or Finn/Quinn. Mark Salling and Dianna Agron both do a lot of "face" acting with very expressive looks and the camera shots really show that.
post #281 of 2117 Old 10-22-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There are quite few closeups of Quinn and Puck when something is happening between Finn/Rachel or Finn/Quinn. Mark Salling and Dianna Agron both do a lot of "face" acting with very expressive looks and the camera shots really show that.

That's what I liked most about last night's show - and what I like in general about good shows (and actors). They say more without dialog than with. The facial expressions during the musical numbers spoke volumes.

Joe Clark

post #282 of 2117 Old 10-24-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

This week's issue of Entertainment Weekly (Oct. 30, 2009) has Glee's cast on the cover, and a 5 page article inside. The article touches on many of the topics we've talked about here lately, as well as a full page on the work of the brilliant Jane Lynch. There's also talk about the possibility of an episode in the back nine with all new music by top contemporary songwriters.

To talk about Glee as a national phenomenon at this point underestimates it's potential. International superstardom seems inevitable.

Joe Clark

post #283 of 2117 Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

'Glee' DVD to be released midseason

No Blu-Ray, no sale.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #284 of 2117 Old 10-26-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

'Glee' DVD to be released midseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post

No Blu-Ray, no sale.

I hear you. I made the decision sometime ago to buy no more DVDs. If a title I am interested in isn't available on BD I won't buy it, in fact I ordinarily won't even put the DVD in my Netflix queue to rent.
post #285 of 2117 Old 10-26-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Loving the show, but a few things irritate me. The fake pregnancy is just stupid. Jane Lynch is great in small doses, but too much is just so grating (to me). Other than that, what a great new show.
post #286 of 2117 Old 10-26-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I hear you. I made the decision sometime ago to buy no more DVDs. If a title I am interested in isn't available on BD I won't buy it, in fact I ordinarily won't even put the DVD in my Netflix queue to rent.

That article doesn't preclude a Blu-ray release, for many the term "DVD" is generic to optical disc which does include Blu-ray. I doubt they would release a Blu-ray version for the half-season, but just because Hibberd doesn't mention it by name doesn't mean it won't happen.
post #287 of 2117 Old 10-26-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

What's this DVD you speak of?
post #288 of 2117 Old 10-26-2009, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have the same rule, although I broke it to get the DVDs of Eureka, seasons 1 and 2, that Best Buy had on sale for half price last week. I have all the Glee episodes on my Dish HD receiver, and I've been recording them with a MyHD card, too (although I don't have all the eps on the computer - missed the first few). I edit out the commercials for uninterrupted viewing. Until the Blu-ray discs are released, that will have to do. I'm not going to buy the DVD.

I have some friends who have yet to see a single episode. I'm planning a Glee party, where I'll get them hooked.

Joe Clark

post #289 of 2117 Old 10-26-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the same rule, although I broke it to get the DVDs of Eureka, seasons 1 and 2, that Best Buy had on sale for half price last week. I have all the Glee episodes on my Dish HD receiver, and I've been recording them with a MyHD card, too (although I don't have all the eps on the computer - missed the first few). I edit out the commercials for uninterrupted viewing. Until the Blu-ray discs are released, that will have to do. I'm not going to buy the DVD.

I think that can depend on the show and the network. We bought the Eli Stone DVD sets without giving a thought to the fact that they weren't Blu-rays. The SD discs are excellent owing much to ABC's generally superb job on their on air HD series. Of course a canceled show like Eli probably wouldn't be a candidate for Blu-ray anyway. If Glee comes out in an SD version only, I'll still get it. Most BR players do a very good of upscaling anyway and who would want to forfeit seeing Sue Sylvestor's rantings and those great musical numbers at will?
post #290 of 2117 Old 10-26-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The local ABC affiliate here in St. Louis sets the gold standard for HD in our area. The chief engineer has actually given his pager number out in AVS posts so people can let him know if there's a problem with a broadcast. I've met Jim and he's an amazing guy. Fox has improved recently with their HD broadcasts in our area, so the HD quality of Glee has been pretty good, too. Since I can capture and edit the local broadcasts on the computer, I have commercial free episodes to watch any time I want. No need for the DVDs. I'll wait for Blu-ray.

Joe Clark

post #291 of 2117 Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Does anyone know if Jayma Mays really sang My Fair Lady's "I Could Have Danced All Night"?

Good question. Her voice sounded a lot like Lea Michele.
post #292 of 2117 Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Does anyone know if Jayma Mays really sang My Fair Lady's "I Could Have Danced All Night"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

Good question. Her voice sounded a lot like Lea Michele.

I assumed that it was really Jayma Mays singing. I thought her voice was rather small, although she showed solid musicianship. I would be surprised to learn that Lea Michelle did that number because Michelle has a really big voice, far bigger than I heard coming from Mays in the I Could Have Danced all Night number.
post #293 of 2117 Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I assumed that it was really Jayma Mays singing. I thought her voice was rather small, although she showed solid musicianship. I would be surprised to learn that Lea Michelle did that number because Michelle has a really big voice, far bigger than I heard coming from Mays in the I Could Have Danced all Night number.

I'm virtually certain it wasn't Lea Michelle. It may well have been Mays. I seem to remember her hinting in interviews that she might sing in upcoming episodes.

Joe Clark

post #294 of 2117 Old 10-29-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Glee's 'Don't Stop Believin'' Goes Gold

BLOCKBUSTER SERIES' MUSIC SURPASSES 2 MILLION DOWNLOADS AS SOUNDTRACK HITS
STORES NOVEMBER 3

NEW YORK, Oct. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- In yet another sign that Glee has gone from
smash comedy hit to cultural phenomenon, the cast's rendition of Journey's
"Don't Stop Believin'" has just been certified Gold for digital sales in
excess of 500,000 downloads, and to date, over two million Glee songs have
been purchased online. Seven songs from Glee now occupy spots in the top 200
of iTunes Top Songs chart and Newsweek recently observed that the Fox series'
"rabid online fanbase has given the show's music a life of its own." It's
this fervor for the music that prompted the New York Times to say "from
'Cabaret' to Kanye, Songs of 'Glee' are a hit" and the Los Angeles Times to
add "this comedy has become music to our ears."

On Tuesday November 3, Glee: The Music, Volume 1 hits stores. This highly
anticipated debut soundtrack will feature 17 songs heard in Glee's first
season (see below for full track listing). Glee has set itself apart as one
of the few scripted television shows to feature music so prominently and
successfully. Entertainment Weekly recently stated that Glee was able to
accomplish this "by making music so catchy and addictive, it's taken on a life
- and revenue stream - of it's own." They also went on to proclaim "the
snarky, theatrical series is a cult phenomenon on its way to becoming a
national obsession."

The full track listing for "Glee: The Music, Volume 1" is as follows:

1. "Don't Stop Believin'"
2. "Can't Fight This Feeling"
3. "Gold Digger"
4. "Take a Bow"
5. "Bust Your Windows"
6. "Taking Chances"
7. "Alone"
8. "Maybe This Time"
9. "Somebody to Love"
10. "Hate On Me"
11. "No Air"
12. "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
13. "Keep Holding On"
14. "Bust a Move"
15. "Sweet Caroline"
16. "Dancing with Myself"

17. "Defying Gravity"
post #295 of 2117 Old 10-29-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"the snarky, theatrical series is a cult phenomenon on its way to becoming a national obsession."

My guess is international.

Joe Clark

post #296 of 2117 Old 10-29-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm virtually certain it wasn't Lea Michelle. It may well have been Mays. I seem to remember her hinting in interviews that she might sing in upcoming episodes.

Everything that I've seen or read indicates that all of Glee's cast members do their own singing. As I was watching the original segment that night, I felt that Jayma's speaking voice had similarities to the singing voice and that it was indeed her.
post #297 of 2117 Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The Glee cast just sang the National Anthem before game three of the World Series. Amber Riley sang lead and Jenna, Chris, Lea, Cory, Mark, Dianna and Kevin sang supporting vocals. They were live and they were outstanding. Of course the Philly crowd booed them when they were introduced but they were cheering when they were done.
post #298 of 2117 Old 10-31-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The Glee cast just sang the National Anthem before game three of the World Series. Amber Riley sang lead and Jenna, Chris, Lea, Cory, Mark, Dianna and Kevin sang supporting vocals. They were live and they were outstanding. Of course the Philly crowd booed them when they were introduced but they were cheering when they were done.

What's the deal with Phillie fans? Too bad St. Louis got booted from the playoffs so early this year. Those Glee kids would have known what it was like to be welcomed by civilized National League baseball fans had they been introduced here.

(There may be some sour grapes mixed in with this post. )

Joe Clark

post #299 of 2117 Old 10-31-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Come to think of it, if the Glee cast had come to St. Louis, I could have taken them over to William McKinley High School. Just like Will Schuester, I was a McKinley student who returned there to teach. Just like Will, I became a club sponsor. I had talented kids who worked hard to become one of the best teams in the region. They also learned that the color of a person's skin, and their heritage, had nothing to do with intelligence, or skill, or a desire to be good at something.

Yes, the more I think about it, my chess team was exactly like the Glee Club - except for that singing and dancing stuff.

Joe Clark

post #300 of 2117 Old 10-31-2009, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's the deal with Phillie fans? Too bad St. Louis got booted from the playoffs so early this year. Those Glee kids would have known what it was like to be welcomed by civilized National League baseball fans had they been introduced here.

Philly fans boo everyone. It's an honored tradition
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page