post #361 of 2117 Old 11-09-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susyflower View Post

For those of you that must know...the skirts are called "breakaway" skirts. I was a cheerleader all four years of high school. :-)

pics or it didn't happen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2117 Old 11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Our squad wanted to get breakaway skirts but the administration wouldn't approve...funny I went to a public school. Now the girls down at the ole catholic school...they had breakaway skirts and they had AHS printed on the butts of their "spanky pants."

Breakaway skirts, Catholic cheerleaders, spanky pants with "AHS." Now you're just teasing us.

Joe Clark

post #363 of 2117 Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Our squad wanted to get breakaway skirts but the administration wouldn't approve...funny I went to a public school. Now the girls down at the ole catholic school...they had breakaway skirts and they had AHS printed on the butts of their "spanky pants."

OK. WAY TOO MUCH more info than I needed to know. But thanks for sharing.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #364 of 2117 Old 11-09-2009, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

OK. WAY TOO MUCH more info than I needed to know. But thanks for sharing.

No way. That type stuff is COMPLETELY on topic in the Glee thread!!
post #365 of 2117 Old 11-09-2009, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, haven't most of our posts been about Quinn, Santana and Brittany answering our prayers with their breakaway dance? That's how I remember it.

Joe Clark

post #366 of 2117 Old 11-11-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Glee’s Music Tops Charts

Quote:

...astounding #4 spot on the Billboard Top 200 Album Chart...2.5 million single downloads, spawning a Gold single for the cast’s version of Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’...

post #367 of 2117 Old 11-11-2009, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Glee's Music Tops Charts

Quote:

Glee is infectious and the music is sure to bring joy, which is exactly why the Chicago Tribune exclaimed Any TV show soundtrack that induces people of all ages to dance around the kitchen is doing something right." That's what we've been saying all along about this wonderful show. I couldn't be happier for them, and us.

Glee's back tonight. Joy!

Joe Clark

post #368 of 2117 Old 11-11-2009, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Quote:

Glee is infectious and the music is sure to bring joy, which is exactly why the Chicago Tribune exclaimed Any TV show soundtrack that induces people of all ages to dance around the kitchen is doing something right." That's what we've been saying all along about this wonderful show. I couldn't be happier for them, and us.

Glee's back tonight. Joy!

My grandson has the Glee CD and we listened to it on the way to and from dinner last night. It is GREAT stuff.
post #369 of 2117 Old 11-11-2009, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

My grandson has the Glee CD and we listened to it on the way to and from dinner last night. It is GREAT stuff.

I bought the CD at Target, ripped the songs to my computer as WMA files and loaded them as MP3s on a USB stick for my Prius. Infectious, indeed.

Joe Clark

post #370 of 2117 Old 11-11-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I haven't really looked at ratings for this show, but I'm curious what sort of age group it attracts. I suspect a lot of mid to late-middle aged folks like it. I'm 54 myself and I love it. I have never been a fan of music in my TV shows, the numbers they would do in Eli Stone were great, but that was the extent of it until this show, I find myself hoping the next number comes soon.
post #371 of 2117 Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Re: Volume 1 album...it is indeed quite infectious, though I find myself tuning to about 4 songs way more than the others: Don't Stop Believing, Alone, Keep Holding On, and Sweet Caroline.

Re: Tonight's episode...wonderful as always. I was looking forward to Defying Gravity after hearing it on the album. Kurt's storyline is being very well done. I was very scared for the direction they were going with the DS girl. Both my friend and I had our hands over our mouths just hoping they wouldn't dare go so far. What a pleasant ending that little plot line had. Sue's a hard woman, but obviously has a tender side. I found myself agreeing with her when she admonished Will in the gym.

My own dislike was the far-fetched reaction Artie had to the chick (name?) revealing she didn't have a stutter. That scene just did not even make sense. Both of us were saying "huh?" after that. Oh and if they didn't have money to build ramps around the school, where did those stage ramps come from? Ha ha...just a half-hearted nitpick.

Edit: Wow, they are *really* milking the music sales. You can buy THREE different versions of Defying Gravity...the one like on the album, one with Rachel only, and one with Kurt only.
post #372 of 2117 Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

^Yeah, I was surprised at how negatively Artie reacted to Tina's revelation. Also, the rest of what he had to say about it was pretty clichéd. ("I'm sorry now you get to be normal, and I'm going to be stuck in this chair") Yes it's very real (for his character), but the whole scene felt forced.

I'm glad they finally revealed that Tina doesn't really stutter. Her stutter is so fake it's comical, bordering on offensive.

Still, overall, this may have been my favorite episode of the season. Can't wait for sectionals!
post #373 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I haven't really looked at ratings for this show, but I'm curious what sort of age group it attracts. I suspect a lot of mid to late-middle aged folks like it. I'm 54 myself and I love it. I have never been a fan of music in my TV shows, the numbers they would do in Eli Stone were great, but that was the extent of it until this show, I find myself hoping the next number comes soon.

keenan -- I was also wondering what demographic the show attracts. I hope that it includes a lot of young people and that the show has introduced them to the thrill of musical theater. I remember the days of Rogers & Hammerstein, Cole Porter, and Lerner & Lowe. In those years it seemed that everybody loved musicals. To say the least, that is no longer the case and more's the pity Perhaps Glee can help to change that.

Once again, I loved last night's show. Sue didn't make me laugh but she damned near made me cry. I also enjoyed the continuing exposition of Puck and Quinn's developing relationship. But best of all, it was the music, always the music!
post #374 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

keenan -- I was also wondering what demographic the show attracts. I hope that it includes a lot of young people and that the show has introduced them to the thrill of musical theater. I remember the days of Rogers & Hammerstein, Cole Porter, and Lerner & Lowe. In those years it seemed that everybody loved musicals. To say the least, that is no longer the case and more's the pity Perhaps Glee can help to change that.

Once again, I loved last night's show. Sue didn't make me laugh but she damned near made me cry. I also enjoyed the continuing exposition of Puck and Quinn's developing relationship. But best of all, it was the music, always the music!

It would be great if Glee could help change attitudes about musicals. That's been my hope since it first aired. I've never understood people's odd reactions to musicals. I'm a sucker for a boy-meets-girl love story and seeing beautiful women sing and dance on stage. The whole experience is so uplifting and joyous.

Joe Clark

post #375 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 08:18 AM

Definitely a great episode!! I also felt that Archie's reaction was not what I was hoping for, but I suppose not everything can have a happy ending. Also, throughout the season so far I haven't entirely like Quinn's character but it was tolarable. Now, after last night's episode...what a d**che! The whole "get a job" angle and "make money for our baby" while she's flirting it up with Puck and it's not even Finn's baby made me really not like the character.

Again, with the some sort of food product in Rachel's face...classic!
post #376 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Probably the best episode yet; Sue and her sister were superb. Apparently next week we return to the non-pregnancy, a detail that just hasn't paid off. Still, quite the show.

CW Hinkle
post #377 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yea, Quinn is a HUGE bitch. Almost irredeemably so at this point. Of course it took the person who Finn isn't in a relationship with to help him get a job so he can support his PITA girlfriend who's carrying his friend's baby and passing it off as his.

A lot of people like Puck (mostly female from what I've seen) but I still don't see any redeeming qualities about him. So he wants to care for his baby but can't even manage to help that situation without starting a fight with his friend, stealing money from Artie's bus fund or resorting to laced cupcakes. So he's good looking....big deal.

The storyline with the Cheerio tryouts was excellent and very emotional at a few points. Chris Colfer (Kurt) has some very good acting skills but I wouldn't be heartbroken if he left the female vocals to the females (esp since Rachel, Mercedes and Tina have the 3 best voices on the show).
post #378 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Track listing for the next album, which comes out December 8, is behind the spoiler cut:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

1. "Proud Mary"
2. "Endless Love"
3. "I'll Stand By You"
4. "Don't Stand So Close To Me / Young Girl"
5. "Crush"
6. "(You're) Having My Baby"
7. "Lean On Me"
8. "Don't Make Me Over"
9. "Imagine"
10. "True Colors"
11. "Jump"
12. "Smile" (cover of Lily Allen)
13. "Smile" (cover of Charlie Chaplin)
14. "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"
15. "Don't Rain On My Parade"
16. "You Can't Always Get What You Want"
17. "My Life Would Suck Without You"

I'm not wild about some of the originals, but I'm going to try hard not to prejudge. Once again, it's quite an eclectic mix.
post #379 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So many things to like about last night's show and one disappointment. The latter first. I was not happy with what was done with Defying Gravity. The duet version on the CD is much more enjoyable. I realize that the performance was necessary in the context of the plot at that point but it was a real letdown. Everything else was aces. Tina, Artie, Mercedes, and Kurt all getting some solid solo time was great. The Proud Mary number was very well done. I think that the scenes between Kurt and his father are one of the highlights of the show. The actor who plays the dad is first rate. The potential relationship between Artie and Tina, even with the fake stutter speed bump, has promise. I like what they've done with Tina's character. She's opened up as the series has gone on and her Goth look works. I also like the "action" going on between Puck and Quinn. It's gonna have to explode out into the open at some point and both actors are very good at showing advance and suppression respectively. The Downs Syndrome girl getting the Cheerio tryout really concerned me as crossing the line until the reveal in regard to Sue's sister. It was a surprise and beautifully done. I also noticed that, during the scene, Jane Lynch's makeup gave her a much softer look that matched the emotional content. It was very touching. I'm still not sure where they can go with the Cheerio tryout thread. Maybe it will just be dropped as a one-time plot device? The show is already under some fire for having a non-disabled actor playing Artie and any story line involving Downs could be very risky even if it's handled with the greatest of care.
post #380 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Nothing like starting the episode with a song about chronic masturbation. Quite interesting...

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #381 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 36
What the....
post #382 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It would be great if Glee could help change attitudes about musicals. That's been my hope since it first aired. I've never understood people's odd reactions to musicals. I'm a sucker for a boy-meets-girl love story and seeing beautiful women sing and dance on stage. The whole experience is so uplifting and joyous.

My parents were big musical theater fans. Thus, in my youth, I went to a bunch of national touring company productions that came to OKC. My wife and I continued the tradition with our children, so it's no wonder that my grandson who lives here enjoys musicals as much as I do. My daughter and I took him to an Oklahoma City University production of Sweeney Todd when he was 7 years old and a bunch of our local Lyric Theater's productions of a wide range of musicals since. It is clear that he has come by his love of Glee honestly. I hope that Glee can create the same sort of enthusiasm for musicals in other young people that my 16 year old grandson has about them.
post #383 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:

My son (28) and his girlfriend (21) love Glee as do most of their friends
post #384 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

The actor who plays the dad is first rate.

I agree. Kurt's father is played by Mike O'Malley (no wonder his face looks like the map of Ireland.) I had seen him before but had no clear recollection of where it might have been. He has done a great job in Glee, with the help of some wonderful writing, of walking along the fine line between a working class guy who might under other circumstances be the new Archie Bunker, and the caring father who loves his boy, warts and all. In addition to its wonderful music, Glee gives us a lot to think about.
post #385 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

My parents were big musical theater fans. Thus, in my youth, I went to a bunch of national touring company productions that came to OKC. My wife and I continued the tradition with our children, so it's no wonder that my grandson who lives here enjoys musicals as much as I do. My daughter and I took him to an Oklahoma City University production of Sweeney Todd when he was 7 years old and a bunch of our local Lyric Theater's productions of a wide range of musicals since. It is clear that he has come by his love of Glee honestly. I hope that Glee can create the same sort of enthusiasm for musicals in other young people that my 16 year old grandson has about them.

It's a very odd situation in my family. I'm from New York originally and my parents started to take me to Broadway shows when I was 11 (Music Man with Bert Parks at that time). Ive been hooked ever since and saw many shows on Broadway before leaving NY for California in 1981. Out here we've seen countless national tour productions, regional and local productions as well as a number back in NY on visits. We started to take our daughter to see musicals when she was 9 years old and she's now, after minoring in theatre and a couple years of internships at the Old Globe in San Diego, working as a professional stage manager for the first time. Theater is in her blood and she's very aware of Lea Michele in Spring Awakenings and Matt Morrison in Piazza and South Pacific and, of course, the glorious Ms. Chenoweth. In spite of this, she has shown no interest whatsoever in Glee . This is something that I cannot explain but it's pretty weird. Where have I failed?
post #386 of 2117 Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I really liked this episode, too. One of the most intriguing aspects of the show was the revelation of Sue's sister. And I thought her response to Will's confronting her in the gym was very 'enry 'iggins. Eliza tells Higgins that "He (Pickering) treats a flower girl like a duchess." And Higgins responds "And I treat a duchess like a flower girl." Sue's treatment of everyone is the same, and she's right when she says to Will that he's asking her to treat the new Cheerio different, when what she really wants is to be treated the same as everyone else.

How Artie responds to Tina says to me that Artie needs to grow in understanding his own handicap. Instead of responding to her candor with warmth and forgiveness, he rejects her primarily because she isn't handicapped. He had felt that the bond they shared was being handicapped, and he isn't able to see past their "differences" when she confesses to her pretense.

I'm really looking forward to where they take the Artie/Tina romance. This episode also set us up for many more interpersonal developments. It would be a mistake to make it mainly a 3-person show - Will, Rachel and Finn - and that wouldn't be nearly as much fun as exploring these other fascinating characters. This episode opens wide the doors for that to happen.

Joe Clark

post #387 of 2117 Old 11-13-2009, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have a question but it may be taken the wrong way and is not my intent.

Does the show try too hard to be diverse?

After seeing the DS girl last night, I had to wonder. Are they really being sincere or is this some sort of satirical comment on being PC in these days?

Most shows are come down on for not being diverse at all, while this show is going to the Nth degree to get everyone involved (asians, indian principal, handicaps, etc). I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I'm just wondering if it's actually genuine or not?

I just hope it's being done for all the right reasons.
post #388 of 2117 Old 11-13-2009, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

I have a question but it may be taken the wrong way and is not my intent.

Does the show try too hard to be diverse?

After seeing the DS girl last night, I had to wonder. Are they really being sincere or is this some sort of satirical comment on being PC in these days?

Most shows are come down on for not being diverse at all, while this show is going to the Nth degree to get everyone involved (asians, indian principal, handicaps, etc). I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I'm just wondering if it's actually genuine or not?

I just hope it's being done for all the right reasons.

I think they're being genuine. They do push the envelope of what's possible on network TV. Sometimes they remind me more of a Fox cartoon like "The Simpsons," which deals humorously with many topics a live action show couldn't get away with. Maybe it works for Glee because there's an element of the absurd in the storylines (Sue's advocacy of caning and marriage to dogs, the credibility stretching pregnancy plots). Maybe it works because the idea of people bursting into song and dance is absurd all by itself.

I like that they don't seem to be afraid of any of these topics. They also take jabs at everyone - black, white, Christian, Jew, etc. I think they've handled all of them with the right balance of absurdity and sensitivity. IMO, the show also suggests that overly PC thinkers get over themselves and have a little fun. Laughter is a better medicine than just about anything else if it's spirit is good. Glee has a good heart. It's mischievous, but never mean.

Joe Clark

post #389 of 2117 Old 11-13-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think they're being genuine. They do push the envelope of what's possible on network TV. Sometimes they remind me more of a Fox cartoon like "The Simpsons," which deals humorously with many topics a live action show couldn't get away with. Maybe it works for Glee because there's an element of the absurd in the storylines (Sue's advocacy of caning and marriage to dogs, the credibility stretching pregnancy plots). Maybe it works because the idea of people bursting into song and dance is absurd all by itself.

I like that they don't seem to be afraid of any of these topics. They also take jabs at everyone - black, white, Christian, Jew, etc. I think they've handled all of them with the right balance of absurdity and sensitivity. IMO, the show also suggests that overly PC thinkers get over themselves and have a little fun. Laughter is a better medicine than just about anything else if it's spirit is good. Glee has a good heart. It's mischievous, but never mean.

I agree. Glee had done a great job of treating serious social issues in a way that is both funny and respectful. Kurt's homosexuality and how it has been dealt with by his schoolmates and his father is an example. This week's show involving Sue and Downs' Syndrome was another example. I give Glee's writers high marks for both their courage and their execution.
post #390 of 2117 Old 11-13-2009, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

Yea, Quinn is a HUGE bitch. Almost irredeemably so at this point. Of course it took the person who Finn isn't in a relationship with to help him get a job so he can support his PITA girlfriend who's carrying his friend's baby and passing it off as his.

A lot of people like Puck (mostly female from what I've seen) but I still don't see any redeeming qualities about him. So he wants to care for his baby but can't even manage to help that situation without starting a fight with his friend, stealing money from Artie's bus fund or resorting to laced cupcakes. So he's good looking....big deal.

The storyline with the Cheerio tryouts was excellent and very emotional at a few points. Chris Colfer (Kurt) has some very good acting skills but I wouldn't be heartbroken if he left the female vocals to the females (esp since Rachel, Mercedes and Tina have the 3 best voices on the show).

I don't think anyone in Glee is beyond redemption. My prediction is that they'll serve up huge helpings of forgiveness and salvation. Who was the one character who looked the most despicable early on? Sue. Look what they did with her last night. And there were plenty of hints they were going to take the character in that direction. And Puck manages to achieve a measure of redemption, albeit through grand larceny and drug dealing.

Beware, though. Just as soon as we get comfortable with a softer Sue, she'll do something to make us "hate" her again - while we roll on the floor in laughter.

Joe Clark

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page