Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 2117 Old 11-25-2009, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs12798 View Post

As a 22 year old many people around my age will also remember him as the host of GUTS on Nickelodeon.

WOW! I never would've remembered this. If it was Moira Quirk I would have though (for no other reason than the unique name).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 2117 Old 11-25-2009, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

Two news bits:

The first Glee album hit number 4 on Billboard's top 200 chart. In a word: awesome.

Enjoy the next two episodes, because the break is going to be a long one. Glee will return on April 13, when it will air on Tuesdays at 9, after American Idol.

That's really sad news - 4 months hiatus for Glee is way too long. The only consolation for me is that Chuck returns Jan. 10th (2 eps on Sunday night, then back to its regular spot on Monday - 3 eps in 2 days!). Chuck will have 19 episodes total for season 3. At least come April they'll both be on at the same time. That's a good TV week in my book.

Joe Clark

post #423 of 2117 Old 11-25-2009, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Enjoy the next two episodes, because the break is going to be a long one. Glee will return on April 13, when it will air on Tuesdays at 9, after American Idol.

Another stunning decision by TV network suits! The only consolation is that the first season DVD set will be out on 12/29.
post #424 of 2117 Old 11-25-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post

WOW! I never would've remembered this. If it was Moira Quirk I would have though (for no other reason than the unique name).

"And lets go over the Mo! for the official time"
post #425 of 2117 Old 11-25-2009, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Another stunning decision by TV network suits! The only consolation is that the first season DVD set will be out on 12/29.

Season 1, part 1, isn't it? They are dubbing it "The Road to Sectionals".

Moving to Tuesdays is good. I was wondering if they were really planning on going up against Lost, which would be dumb.
post #426 of 2117 Old 11-25-2009, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I was not impressed with tonight's episode. The music was so-so. The only song I liked was the Grease song with Finn and Rachel but that got cut off.
post #427 of 2117 Old 11-25-2009, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The music was not the highlight, to be sure. I went to look up the title of this week's episode, and I was surprised that it was "Hairography." I thought it would be "True Colors," because that was what the episode seemed most about. "Hairography" seemed mostly like a distraction - which was the other main theme of the episode: Will's car, Kurt's makeover of Rachel, Quinn and Puck's song for the kids.

But the main theme was "True Colors," and especially those true colors after we see through the distractions. While the music wasn't especially moving tonight, I thought the emotional content was pretty strong. I particularly liked the performance with the deaf choir. True colors. Shu's giving up the old car to get a minivan for his family. True colors. Finn's telling Rachel he liked her for the way she was, not the way Kurt made her over. True colors. (Although he's often conflicted, Finn is the most consistently decent and true-to-himself character on the show.) Rachel's passionate innocence. True colors. Puck's "sexting" to Santana while he and Quinn are tied up, his "defense" to Quinn that he's just being a guy, then the tender glances between the two of them during the last number. True colors.

I find myself forgiving Glee in ways I wouldn't many other shows. At times, it's as though they're just throwing the story on the concrete like a porcelain doll, and they don't care how many pieces it breaks into. The music saves it. Then you have a week like this, where the music isn't that strong, but the story pulls at the heart strings in an especially moving way.

Glee's an odd girl, and she sometimes denies my attempts to figure her out. I'm just so in love, I find it impossible not to want to be with her. I never quite know what's coming next, and sometimes it's just so beautiful, it takes my breath away.

Joe Clark

post #428 of 2117 Old 11-25-2009, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

We really liked the show tonight. It was nice to see Tina get the major lead on True Colors. Rachel looked pretty damn hot in the hallway after her makeover. The number with the hearing impaired choir and the Glee kids was one of the more touching things that we've seen this year on TV. The mix of the two leads and the rest signing and singing together was just perfect and full credits goes to all of the kids and to the production team for having the stones to present it. And once again, the fleeting glances during True Colors said more than most dialogue could. Can't believe that there are only two episodes left this year.
post #429 of 2117 Old 11-26-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

No spoilers but for anyone who is interested, Amazon has a lot of the upcoming songs listed in its MP3 download section (with future release dates) and the Tube has 30 second previews of many of them. All I can say is un-freaking-believable! It's quite a mix of genres and spreads the lead vocals around. The body of work being generated by this show is amazing. It is the best "musical" series ever aired IMHO.
post #430 of 2117 Old 11-26-2009, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I like the show, but I am way over all of the baby business, both the real and the imagined. I prefer the struggles against Sue and for the group as a whole, and the inordinate amount of time spent on the two teen leads and the triangle could be better devoted to other subplots.

CW Hinkle
post #431 of 2117 Old 11-26-2009, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I like the show, but I am way over all of the baby business, both the real and the imagined. I prefer the struggles against Sue and for the group as a whole, and the inordinate amount of time spent on the two teen leads and the triangle could be better devoted to other subplots.

I don't mind the teen pregancy/triangle threads because the kids are such good actors and, again, they say more with looks and glances than words at times. The other thread with Shu's wife and her atrocious sister just keeps falling flat for me. It also makes Shu seem as hopelessly dumb as Finn which is a bit much to swallow. It's hard to imagine anyone as dumb as Finn. Endearing yes but he's an absolute chowder head.
post #432 of 2117 Old 11-27-2009, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I don't mind the teen pregancy/triangle threads because the kids are such good actors and, again, they say more with looks and glances than words at times. The other thread with Shu's wife and her atrocious sister just keeps falling flat for me. It also makes Shu seem as hopelessly dumb as Finn which is a bit much to swallow. It's hard to imagine anyone as dumb as Finn. Endearing yes but he's an absolute chowder head.

I agree that the Finn-Quinn-Puck pregnancy triangle works better than the thread dealing with Shu's wife's faux pregnancy. As good as Jessalyn Gilsig is at playing edgy, essentially unlikable characters, her role as Shu's lying, manipulative wife has become tiresome. I do kind of enjoy the horrible sister, though. Her nastiness and dishonesty are so over the top that she makes me laugh.

I don't think that either Finn or Shu are dumb. I do think that they are naive, though. Their sweet natured faith in humanity makes a lot of trouble for both of them. Finn's vulnerability is accentuated by his immaturity to the extent that he would be a likely target for the world's dumbest con. Come to think of it, he IS a target of about the biggest and most unlikely con I can conceive.
post #433 of 2117 Old 11-27-2009, 07:30 AM

"Papa Don't Preach" by Quinn. Whoa. Not the strongest vocally, but the choreography was wonderful. She is simply beautiful.
post #434 of 2117 Old 11-27-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytotech View Post

"Papa Don't Preach" by Quinn. Whoa. Not the strongest vocally, but the choreography was wonderful. She is simply beautiful.

I agree that Dianna Agron, who plays Quinn, is very beautiful, indeed; she is a good young actress, to boot. She is also a secure musician, although as you pointed out she doesn't have a very big voice. Glee's producers have done a remarkable job of putting together a wonderfully talented cast.
post #435 of 2117 Old 11-27-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Well I would disagree with some of you as I thought the music in this week's episode was one of the strongest of the season. I am surprised they seemed to make Fin into such an jerk when they spent most of the season building up his character.
post #436 of 2117 Old 11-27-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Well I would disagree with some of you as I thought the music in this week's episode was one of the strongest of the season.

I thought the same. Unfortunately, one of the best numbers, Don't Make Me Over, was used only briefly as a very distant background track when the made over Rachel is in the hallway. The entire song with Amber Riley's vocal is brilliant. True Colors was terrific and Jenna was doing a sort of Cyndi Lauper type lead vocal. Her natural singing voice is a bit different. Boodylicious was also first rate. Of course everyone has commented on Imagine. This episode was an fine mix of music and drama.

It's hard to believe that after December 10th, we're not going to see this show again until April of 2010.
post #437 of 2117 Old 11-27-2009, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Glee kid they've really set up as the "stupid" one in the group is Brittany. It started pretty much in the episode in which Brittany cheated off Quinn in a Spanish test. It was the ep in which it is revealed that Shu has been complicit with Sue in giving her Cheerios a break with their grades because they're national champs. Since that time, Brittany has become the go-to dummy in the group.

Joe Clark

post #438 of 2117 Old 11-27-2009, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

The Glee kid they've really set up as the "stupid" one in the group is Brittany. It started pretty much in the episode in which Brittany cheated off Quinn in a Spanish test. It was the ep in which it is revealed that Shu has been complicit with Sue in giving her Cheerios a break with their grades because they're national champs. Since that time, Brittany has become the go-to dummy in the group.

I agree that the writers have put the dunce cap on Brittany's pretty head. I don't mind though. Despite her denseness, with it all she is sweet and funny. In one episode recipes were being discussed, which caused Brittany to get a puzzled look on her face and say, "Recipes are complicated."
post #439 of 2117 Old 11-27-2009, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

Well I would disagree with some of you as I thought the music in this week's episode was one of the strongest of the season. I am surprised they seemed to make Fin into such an jerk when they spent most of the season building up his character.

I don't think this episode portrayed Finn as a jerk. Quite the contrary. Finn is conflicted, but in the end he does the right thing. Of course, if he knew the truth, the "right" thing would be quite different. That is, if he knew Quinn was guilty of the heinous fraud she's committing against him, he likely wouldn't hesitate to explore his affection for Rachel. The true colors will come out, and I bet they're revealed in the next 2 episodes, before the hiatus.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both deceptions (Quinn's and Terri's) uncovered before the break. Finn and Shu are cut from the same cloth, I think, and it will be interesting to see how each responds to the truth. Both of them have much more compatible soul mates pining for them in the wings. This is Glee, though, so no telling where the writers will take the story lines. It will be fun, no matter which way they go.

Joe Clark

post #440 of 2117 Old 11-28-2009, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Opps, I meant Puck, Finn's best friend when I talked about the turnaround this week.
post #441 of 2117 Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Papa Don't Preach - http://www.vimeo.com/7907516

Imagine - http://www.vimeo.com/7838317

With regards to the "Imagine" performance. I felt the same way the reviewer on Zap2it did.

Quote:

Although there's at least some "scrimmaging" with the school for the deaf, they don't do it in the auditorium, which I thought was the whole point of this thing. The deaf students perform "Imagine," with sign language and one student talk-singing until Mercedes and the rest of Glee Club join in. Or should I say butt in? It's lovely, and I understand the symbolism, but isn't it a little insulting for them to just take over the other students' performance? Good intentions, but cringe-y outcome.

post #442 of 2117 Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

Papa Don't Preach - http://www.vimeo.com/7907516

Imagine - http://www.vimeo.com/7838317

With regards to the "Imagine" performance. I felt the same way the reviewer on Zap2it did.

Quote:

Although there's at least some "scrimmaging" with the school for the deaf, they don't do it in the auditorium, which I thought was the whole point of this thing. The deaf students perform "Imagine," with sign language and one student talk-singing until Mercedes and the rest of Glee Club join in. Or should I say butt in? It's lovely, and I understand the symbolism, but isn't it a little insulting for them to just take over the other students' performance? Good intentions, but cringe-y outcome.

I disagree -- profoundly. I thought the deaf kids performance, which turned into a combined performance with the Glee kids was wonderful, one of the most beautiful and moving scenes of the entire season. Sometimes political correctness erodes judgment to the point of nonexistence, or so it seems to me.
post #443 of 2117 Old 12-02-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

After I posted the foregoing, it occurred to me that I should explain why I thought the combined performance by the deaf choir and the Glee kids was so effective. As more and more Glee and deaf kids joined in the performance, the Glee kids joined with the deaf group in signing Imagine. It was a sharing of talents and it was deeply moving.
post #444 of 2117 Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Totally agree with you gwsat. I thought it was one of the best moments of the season so far.
post #445 of 2117 Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"Imagine" is about breaking down the artificial barriers we erect to separate us as human beings. "Imagine" is an invitation to "join us," and that's just what the McKinley High Glee kids did. It transcended anything else going on in that "performance," and the performers and their audience became one. That's why I liked it so much.

Joe Clark

post #446 of 2117 Old 12-02-2009, 02:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:

Totally agree with you gwsat. I thought it was one of the best moments of the season so far.

Absolutely, to me it goes to very heart of what Glee is all about.

My brother and I had been talking up Glee to our mother as she was skeptical after only seeing a partial early season episode. We all watched last Wednesday's episode together, and after that number she said, "okay, I'm sold, set up the season pass for me".
post #447 of 2117 Old 12-02-2009, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm glad that Will finally found out that Teri is not pregnant. Very little music in this episode.

I can't stand Sue. She is the worst thing about Glee.

One more episode left this year.
post #448 of 2117 Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wow, this episode really didn't do it for me. The first time I felt like that. I looked at the time elapse on my DVR and it was just about half the episode before we ever got a song. The pacing was very slow. Okay, we get the point that people deface the yearbook. "Jump" was excellent to be sure. The two "Smile" songs--to be featured on Volume 2 of the album--were just "meh".

One saving grace was that Will FINALLY found out about the pregnancy fraud. Thank goodness! But then it ended very sadly. The defacing commenced and Wil is out as director--and possibly husband.

I disagree wholeheartedly that Sue is the worst thing about Glee. She is an excellent antagonist. The fact she riles you up like that (i.e. "I can't stand Sue") lends to that fact. It reminds me of the antagonist in book 5 of Harry Potter...Delores Umbridge. You despise her ere the end, which makes her a well-written character to elicit that kind of response. Whether a negative or positive emotion, it's the mark of a good character.
post #449 of 2117 Old 12-02-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I'm also glad the pregnancy angle is over, but let's face it he won't end up with Emma happily ever after. I think I had anxiety everytime Sue was on screen. Jane Lynch is fantastic.
post #450 of 2117 Old 12-02-2009, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One deception down and one to go. Next week, I suspect Quinn's tower of lies falls.

They're not going to let us hate Quinn, Terri or Sue too much - not yet. When you think one of these characters is completely unlovable, they'll make her more sympathetic. Take Quinn in tonight's episode - she was in many ways the heroine. In earlier episodes, roasting at the stake seemed the only just fate for her. (Think about how Quinn achieved what she did, though - blackmail. Sounds like Puck, whose actions skew toward the dark side.)

Ordinarily, I have a much harder time accepting radical and abrupt shifting in a character, but this is Glee and somehow it works. One of the reasons is that the actors are so gifted. Matthew Morrison was excellent in the scene with Jessalyn Gilsig, when he confronts her with the pregnancy pad. That was a really powerful performance, as was Gilsig's.

As usual, Glee demands a greater suspension of disbelief than most shows, and, as usual, I'm more than happy to suspend mine. I'm miserable that next week will be the last Glee for four months.

Joe Clark

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page