'Glee' on FOX HD - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #451 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

And how amazing was the mash up of Don't Stand So Close and Young Girl? Hilarious. Priceless facial expressions by all three!

I'm gonna go watch that again, right now.

Best mashup of the season! also, Will's facial expressions while Rachel was singing Endless Love to him were the funniest thing on TV for me this season

I can't believe the hiatus will last til April. WTF???? How many eps are there in total?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

Best mashup of the season! also, Will's facial expressions while Rachel was singing Endless Love to him were the funniest thing on TV for me this season

I can't believe the hiatus will last til April. WTF???? How many eps are there in total?

I'm pretty sure it's 22 total, so there should be nine new episodes when it returns from hiatus.

Joe Clark

post #453 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

The more that I replay that scene in my head the more impressed with it I am. The willingness of Kurt to sacrifice something that he so desperately wants to spare his father, with whom until now he has not had an ideal relationship, what he sees as harassment and ridicule from the local bigots is far beyond the usual TV fare. And his dad's willingness, despite his own mixed emotions, to defend his son against those same bigots and all other comers shows a level of writing and acting that also is above the norm on TV. I hope that viewers are getting the social significance of this show.

Isn't the creator of the show gay? It may be real b/c it's close to home. I think perhaps that's the kind of father-son relationship he wishes he'd had.

Watching this, I think about the fundamentalist people who think that homosexuality is evil and gays are going to hell. How do they deal with seeing this on TV? What do they say to their children? It'd be like if I were watching a mainstream TV show and a teenager came to his father and said "dad, I like to expose myself to 8 yos and touch myself in front of them" and instead of saying "holy s*** what is wrong with you I have to get you some help", he said "you're my son and I love and accept you no matter what". WTF?????? Or if all the "science" shows assumed the earth is 4000 years old and dinosaurs and man lived side by side when I know better. I must think the entire world is nuts. I guess I'd be homeschooling my kids and severely limiting their exposure to the world.
post #454 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:

Ordinarily, I have a much harder time accepting radical and abrupt shifting in a character, but this is Glee and somehow it works. One of the reasons is that the actors are so gifted. Matthew Morrison was excellent in the scene with Jessalyn Gilsig, when he confronts her with the pregnancy pad. That was a really powerful performance, as was Gilsig's.

As usual, Glee demands a greater suspension of disbelief than most shows, and, as usual, I'm more than happy to suspend mine. I'm miserable that next week will be the last Glee for four months.

I agree that the scene in which Will discovered the fraudulence of Terri's claimed pregnancy was powerful. I also appreciated that the writers were consistent with how Terri was portrayed. She remained as self-centered and thoughtless of Will's feelings as ever.

Glee does, indeed, require more suspension of disbelief than is ordinarily required for TV shows. That's why Glee's musical format works so well, I think. If there is any genre other than music drama in which it is easier to suspend disbelief, I don't know what it is. Anyway, Glee works.
post #455 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I disagree wholeheartedly that Sue is the worst thing about Glee. She is an excellent antagonist. The fact she riles you up like that (i.e. "I can't stand Sue") lends to that fact. It reminds me of the antagonist in book 5 of Harry Potter...Delores Umbridge. You despise her ere the end, which makes her a well-written character to elicit that kind of response. Whether a negative or positive emotion, it's the mark of a good character.

I totally agree with your point regarding Sue specifically. But in general, the fact that you hate a character doesn't necessarily make them a good character. It can also be an indication of their phenomenal lameness in an otherwise excellent show. A character can be hated simply because they don't belong in a particular group or storyline.

The most obvious example can be found at alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die
post #456 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Watching this, I think about the fundamentalist people who think that homosexuality is evil and gays are going to hell. How do they deal with seeing this on TV? What do they say to their children?

They don't watch it and they don't let their children watch it.
post #457 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 775
'Glee' hits season high Wednesday

Quote:

Fox was the only network to air all-original programming and won the evening overall. "So You Think You Can Dance (6.3 million, 2.3) was on par, while "Glee" (8.2 million, 3.6) hit a season high in the demo and viewers.

post #458 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Isn't the creator of the show gay? It may be real b/c it's close to home. I think perhaps that's the kind of father-son relationship he wishes he'd had.

He is and talked about this on Fresh Air a few months ago. He actually has a good relationship with his parents.

Quote:

Watching this, I think about the fundamentalist people who think that homosexuality is evil and gays are going to hell. How do they deal with seeing this on TV? What do they say to their children? It'd be like if I were watching a mainstream TV show and a teenager came to his father and said "dad, I like to expose myself to 8 yos and touch myself in front of them" and instead of saying "holy s*** what is wrong with you I have to get you some help", he said "you're my son and I love and accept you no matter what". WTF?????? Or if all the "science" shows assumed the earth is 4000 years old and dinosaurs and man lived side by side when I know better. I must think the entire world is nuts. I guess I'd be homeschooling my kids and severely limiting their exposure to the world.

I've been trying to get your point here, but failing. Are you really equating the fact that someone is gay to being a child molester, a criminal who hurts children? In what way are those two things equivalent? That some people might not like them much? Some people don't like interracial dating, either. That doesn't mean that people who do it are equivalent to rapists, or kidnappers or whatever.

I doubt many fundamentalist people watch this show, and it isn't a program for young kids anyway. If they don't like what they see, they're free to change the channel; it doesn't mean the show should change what its doing to cater to their prejudices. I doubt they like the History Channel's How the Earth Was Made either. It doesn't mean that History should change the show to say the earth is 5,000 years old or whatever they believe.
post #459 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a bit conflicted on the pregnancy discovery. Maybe that will change on a rewatch, but for now it's still the same.

Up until last night I had been all in on wanting him to find out, and when it was there and I realized what was about to happen (could see it coming just before it happened the way they showed it), I just felt separated from the moment. The whole time it happened it felt like it wasn't happening, or I was watching something else but not Glee.

I don't know what it was about that scene but it completely took me out of my normal Glee watching mindset. Maybe it was the rage he was showing, or how he grabbed her, something. Not sure what. It just felt not right. It didn't feel like how that character would react to the discovery.

After it played out, I was actually feeling sorry for the wife and I'm like how the hell did this happen. I've despised her till now. Maybe that's the emotion they wanted out of me as a viewer, but it just felt weird. Maybe that was the only way they could pull some sympathy for her character after her evil actions to date.

I'm going to watch it again when I get a chance and see how I feel a second time. Was just curious if I was the only person who was kind of shocked at the moment.
post #460 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Most of the time, I feel perfectly happy to accept whatever road the producers want to take with Glee. They may turn left when I expected a right, or occasionally make an illegal U, but I really don't care. The ride is too much fun.

It reminds me of my brother in law. I was going with him to play racquetball one day, and there was a clown on the side of the road juggling (for a local restaurant). Tony swerved the car toward the clown (never got closer than 40 feet) and the guy dropped all his balls. I still see that clown shaking his fist at us in the rear view mirror.

Now, never in a million years would I do anything like that, or advocate anyone doing anything like that. But, it felt like a scene from Glee, and just like Glee, no one got hurt. It was also wrong - just plain wrong - yet one of the funniest things I've ever seen. As long as Glee keeps me laughing, and keeps its playful, fun spirit, I'll be a perfectly happy passenger in their careening car.

Joe Clark

post #461 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juncti View Post

Maybe it was the rage he was showing, or how he grabbed her, something. Not sure what. It just felt not right. It didn't feel like how that character would react to the discovery.

It was how he grabbed her. My wife and I felt exactly what you were feeling. When he grabbed her, and looked like he was ready to throw her against the wall or slap her or something, my wife and I both looked at each other and remarked how that character would never do that. Yell, scream, break something, take his wedding ring off, storm out, sure. But grab her like that? Didn't feel right at all.
post #462 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

It was how he grabbed her. My wife and I felt exactly what you were feeling. When he grabbed her, and looked like he was ready to throw her against the wall or slap her or something, my wife and I both looked at each other and remarked how that character would never do that. Yell, scream, break something, take his wedding ring off, storm out, sure. But grab her like that? Didn't feel right at all.

Count me in as one that thought that was an excessive show of force as well, for both the character and the show, it bordered dangerously on being abuse, it went somewhere the show hasn't gone before.

Overall I thought the episode was quite a letdown from last week, it just wasn't there for me like most all of the rest have been, too dark when compared against the whole body of work.
post #463 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I actually liked what they did with Will's character. In the past, Will has been a wavering, mousy character, even more so in many ways than Emma. He flounders in the direction he wants to take the Glee Club (seeing the Juvey Girls, he's completely thrown). He lets Terri manipulate him at every turn. Sue has little trouble pushing his buttons, and I've almost always felt she has the upper hand in her dealings with him.

I didn't know how they would have him react to the news, but this is, after all, a central plot point for the series, and a defining moment for where they take this character. I think most of us probably felt his reaction was shocking, but it felt "right" to me, in the sense that this is the Will I've wanted to see emerge. I doubt we've seen the complete end of the mousy Will, but his sense of direction should be clearer because of the confrontations. Now that he's been stripped of what he was most passionate about (his marriage and the Glee Club), he may become a stronger man on the road back.

Then again, this is Glee. Who the hell knows where they'll go with it?

Joe Clark

post #464 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I can understand it though. Will seems to be a guy who, in terms of his marriage, lives, as the Brits would say, a life of "quiet desparation". He and Terri have clearly drifted apart. Will has grown and Terri has remained the same selfish, immature person that she became after the wedding. I'm sure that Will saw the baby as a life changer, a Terri changer and probably a marriage saver. His two major emotinal investments are the Glee Club and the baby. Well, door number two just got closed with his fingers caught in it and I can see where a certain degree of rage would surface. Of course it's TV drama but could anyone imagine the horrible sense of betrayal that must be felt by Will?
post #465 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

I can understand it though. Will seems to be a guy who, in terms of his marriage, lives, as the Brits would say, a life of "quiet desparation". [Emphasis added.] He and Terri have clearly drifted apart. Will has grown and Terri has remained the same selfish, immature person that she became after the wedding. I'm sure that Will saw the baby as a life changer, a Terri changer and probably a marriage saver. His two major emotinal investments are the Glee Club and the baby. Well, door number two just got closed with his fingers caught in it and I can see where a certain degree of rage would surface. Of course it's TV drama but could anyone imagine the horrible sense of betrayal that must be felt by Will?

I agree that Will had been pushed beyond any reasonably tolerable limit. Rather that thinking he was assaulting Terri during their confrontation, I thought he was simply trying to confirm his well founded suspicion that Terri had used padding to fake a pregnancy.

By the way the famous quote, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation," was written by an American, Henry David Thoreau. It's one of my favorites.
post #466 of 2122 Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

By the way the famous quote, "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation," was written by an American, Henry David Thoreau. It's one of my favorites.

I bow in the presence of a true master Obi Wan
post #467 of 2122 Old 12-04-2009, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

He is and talked about this on Fresh Air a few months ago. He actually has a good relationship with his parents.

I've been trying to get your point here, but failing. Are you really equating the fact that someone is gay to being a child molester, a criminal who hurts children? In what way are those two things equivalent? That some people might not like them much? Some people don't like interracial dating, either. That doesn't mean that people who do it are equivalent to rapists, or kidnappers or whatever.

I doubt many fundamentalist people watch this show, and it isn't a program for young kids anyway. If they don't like what they see, they're free to change the channel; it doesn't mean the show should change what its doing to cater to their prejudices. I doubt they like the History Channel's How the Earth Was Made either. It doesn't mean that History should change the show to say the earth is 5,000 years old or whatever they believe.

No, I'm putting myself in the fundamentalist mindset and seeing it from their point of view. Yes there are people who think homosexuality is no different from child molestation, who argue if you let two men marry, next thing they'll want to marry a sheep. From their point of view, then, shows like this, and "Hollywood" in its entirety, are just sick and promoting a sick lifestyle. Which is why demagogues ranting about "war on Christians" will always find a receptive audience, never mind that the vast majority of Americans ARE Christians.
post #468 of 2122 Old 12-04-2009, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

No, I'm putting myself in the fundamentalist mindset and seeing it from their point of view. Yes there are people who think homosexuality is no different from child molestation, who argue if you let two men marry, next thing they'll want to marry a sheep. From their point of view, then, shows like this, and "Hollywood" in its entirety, are just sick and promoting a sick lifestyle. Which is why demagogues ranting about "war on Christians" will always find a receptive audience, never mind that the vast majority of Americans ARE Christians.

I'm still not sure I see how it's relevant. To me, it's not an argument that you don't make the show. It's an argument that those who don't like it shouldn't watch, which, you know, too bad for them.
post #469 of 2122 Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

I'm still not sure I see how it's relevant. To me, it's not an argument that you don't make the show. It's an argument that those who don't like it shouldn't watch, which, you know, too bad for them.

Count me in as one who is also confused by this discussion. To me it seems that those who enjoy the show are watching it, and those who don't aren't. Everybody has an opinion and can choose accordingly. Isn't this a win-win?
post #470 of 2122 Old 12-04-2009, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're interested do some searching on YouTube. There are some amazing vocal performances coming up. The second CD is being released next week and the new numbers are all listed so I assume that we'll see them on next week's show.
post #471 of 2122 Old 12-05-2009, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 526
One thing that struck me about watching this episode is that it took 22 minutes before they started singing the first time. Plus, I did not like that song which did not help. This was a different episode of Glee. The Will and Terri confrontation was a real thing on a show that exist in a hyper reality.

Sue is delicious and besides the singing she is the best part of the show.
post #472 of 2122 Old 12-05-2009, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
True Colors: http://vimeo.com/8006348

Don't Stand So Close/Young Girl: http://vimeo.com/8002500 (Love Jayma Mays's reactions in this song)
post #473 of 2122 Old 12-06-2009, 09:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmcardle View Post

Glee has become quite a guilty pleasure for me.

[img]http://www.**********************/images/4[/img] [img]http://www.**********************/images/5[/img] [img]http://www.**********************/images/6[/img]

I agree completely, except for that "guilty" part. There are all sorts of reasons I like Glee, and none of them make me feel the least bit guilty.

Joe Clark

post #474 of 2122 Old 12-06-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I agree completely, except for that "guilty" part. There are all sorts of reasons I like Glee, and none of them make me feel the least bit guilty.

Wait a minute. I wasn't thinking about some of those thoughts I've had about Quinn.

Come to think of it, maybe I should make a stop at the confessional tomorrow.

Joe Clark

post #475 of 2122 Old 12-07-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:

Wait a minute. I wasn't thinking about some of those thoughts I've had about Quinn.

Come to think of it, maybe I should make a stop at the confessional tomorrow.

Nah, in real life Quinn is 23 so you shouldn't feel guilty at all. That's my excuse anyway...

Bobby 

post #476 of 2122 Old 12-07-2009, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Nah, in real life Quinn is 23 so you shouldn't feel guilty at all. That's my excuse anyway...

Same with me and the object of my attention(obsession), Santana(Naya Rivera-22).
post #477 of 2122 Old 12-07-2009, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Same with me and the object of my attention(obsession), Santana(Naya Rivera-22).

Oh yeah!!!

Bobby 

post #478 of 2122 Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Oh yeah!!!

Yup, she's smokin' hot, best looking on the show IMO.
post #479 of 2122 Old 12-07-2009, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Yup, she's smokin' hot, best looking on the show IMO.

OK, since this testoster-fest has turned into a vote, I'll have to cast mine for Santana, too. Hard for me to argue against that.

Now we've done it, guys. Our cheerleader poster probably won't bother with us anymore after our latest brilliant exchange of ideas on Glee. As Puck would say, "Girls just have this power over me."

Wait, that argument's no more convincing here than it was in the show, is it?

Joe Clark

post #480 of 2122 Old 12-07-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version