post #541 of 2117 Old 12-16-2009, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

It's a shame that it wasn't done on the show or included on the Volume 2 CD. It is an outstanding track with the usual great lead vocal by Lea and wonderful backup vocals and harmonies by the cast.

It's also a shame that since the proceeds for this song go to charity that they didn't offer it on more outlets other than iTunes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2117 Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kspaz View Post

I have a feeling that people are going to love Glee music performances on Blu-ray in 5.1 lossless...And they probably will have a special feature that has all the performances accessible by song.

Now if only they would actually announce a Blu-ray release. Extremely disappointed to learn that the "Road to Sectionals" release is announced only for DVD -- a show we've been watching in HD, after all!

I don't buy DVDs any more. Maybe the BD will come out as a full-season release next summer. I can always rent the DVDs to tide me over.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #543 of 2117 Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I just noticed that Fox is airing reruns of Glee on Dec. 23 and Dec. 30 - 2 eps each night. They're not in the order of their original broadcasts, but it's an opportunity for some folks to catch episodes they may have missed.

Also, here's a link to Lea Michele's "Don't Rain on My Parade" that's a little different.

Joe Clark

post #544 of 2117 Old 12-17-2009, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
@rdclark, I expect we'll get a blu ray release at the end of the season. I don't want to buy the DVD's either. Though I may Netflix them in the meantime
post #545 of 2117 Old 12-17-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

@rdclark, I expect we'll get a blu ray release at the end of the season. I don't want to buy the DVD's either. Though I may Netflix them in the meantime

Blu-ray would be nice but if they don't release on BR or it's delayed, I'll still get the SD-DVD set on 12/29. The PQ on the show is excellent and I'm guessing that it will look just fine upscaled to 1080. While lossless audio would be great, DD5.1 will do. The show is so good that I won't pass on the opportunity to replay whole episodes or individual scenes at my leisure.
post #546 of 2117 Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 AM

Liked: 10

Ouch, why would people mutilate the performance that way? I think dogs in the neighborhood all started howling.

Squeaky Squeaky!
post #547 of 2117 Old 12-17-2009, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I just noticed that Fox is airing reruns of Glee on Dec. 23 and Dec. 30 - 2 eps each night. [/url]

Definitely a show worth setting the DVR to record "first showing and repeats".
post #548 of 2117 Old 12-17-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juncti View Post

Ouch, why would people mutilate the performance that way? I think dogs in the neighborhood all started howling.

Squeaky Squeaky!

I thought it was a scream, figuratively and literally. It's also revealing of her energy and technique, despite how it tortures the ear and violates the music.

On a personal note, if anyone notices additional airings on Fox, I'd really like to get all the episodes recorded directly to my computer from the OTA broadcasts. Please post if you see anything in the guide. After Dec. 30, I'll have all but 3 of the episodes captured and edited. Unfortunately, the pilot and a couple of other early episodes won't be in that group. Here's hoping Fox decides to air those eps again before long. When 24 and the other new Fox show hit (along with Idol, Bones and House), they won't have much time to do Glee reruns anymore.

Joe Clark

post #549 of 2117 Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Entertainment Weekly's "Best and Worst of 2009" double issue features "Glee" rather heavily this week, singling out the show and some of its stars.

Jane Lynch gets yet another *full page* in EW, along with some of her hilarious quotes from the show.

Lea Michele is front and center among five of "2009's Breakout TV Stars."

Ken Tucker places "Glee" in the top 10 "Best Series of the Year," along with one of my other favorites, "Mad Men."

Joe Clark

post #550 of 2117 Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Along with its 4 Golden Globe nominations, I expect Glee to receive several Emmy nods, too. Glee is far and away my favorite new show. Check that, it's become my favorite show, period.

So, what I'd like to do is mount a little campaign to support Glee for Emmy nominations. It will be a tongue in cheek web site that, I hope, will be funny and irreverent, and that may just draw a little more attention to the show and its stars.

Now, I realize that the chances are slim that such a web site will make much difference to Emmy voters. Glee will probably do just fine all by itself, without any help. However, I love the show so much that, whether it makes one bit of difference or not, the project will be fun to work on.

I already have several pages of notes, and lots of ideas for graphics and videos - with more popping into my head daily. What I will need help with is the programming for the web site itself, and some ideas for hosting. I haven't done any programming for a few years, and I'm rusty. Down the line a little bit, I'd appreciate getting some feedback from some folks here on this thread, and suggestions that will mesh creatively with the direction I'm taking - tongue in cheek, off the wall, irreverent and occasionally a bit naughty, like Glee.

Anyone interested? If not, I'll head on over to the real Geek section of AVS - home theater PCs. I'd prefer someone else like me, who's a Geek and a Gleek.

Joe Clark

post #551 of 2117 Old 12-21-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I can help you with hosting.
post #552 of 2117 Old 12-22-2009, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

I can help you with hosting.

Great. I'll send you a PM later today.

Joe Clark

post #553 of 2117 Old 12-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

It's also a shame that since the proceeds for this song go to charity that they didn't offer it on more outlets other than iTunes.

As a Zune user, it is also available on the Zune Marketplace (although, I don't know if the proceeds go to charity with Zune/Microsoft).
post #554 of 2117 Old 12-22-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

On a personal note, if anyone notices additional airings on Fox, I'd really like to get all the episodes recorded directly to my computer from the OTA broadcasts. Please post if you see anything in the guide. After Dec. 30, I'll have all but 3 of the episodes captured and edited. Unfortunately, the pilot and a couple of other early episodes won't be in that group. Here's hoping Fox decides to air those eps again before long. When 24 and the other new Fox show hit (along with Idol, Bones and House), they won't have much time to do Glee reruns anymore.

Joe -- I just saw your request for information about Glee airings on Fox. According to my TiVo Season pass, there will be back to back episodes on Fox, from 7:00 to 9:00 pm on 12/23 and two more on 12/30 at the same time. I couldn't find anything beyond the next two weeks, either in the TiVo guide or on the Fox Web site.
post #555 of 2117 Old 12-22-2009, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Joe -- I just saw your request for information about Glee airings on Fox. According to my TiVo Season pass, there will be back to back episodes on Fox, from 7:00 to 9:00 pm on 12/23 and two more on 12/30 at the same time. I couldn't find anything beyond the next two weeks, either in the TiVo guide or on the Fox Web site.

Thanks. I saw those, too. I'll still be missing 3 episodes, including the pilot. All the rest I'll have captured to my computer. I'd like to use some of the clips from at least a couple of those missing episodes on the web site I hope to build, so I'll probably end up going through a much more difficult process of capturing and converting them from my Dish receiver. No biggie, but it would make my life a little easier if Fox would just air them again.

Still no volunteers to help with the programming of the web site? If it helps, it shouldn't be very challenging to put together. If I have to, I'll do it myself, but having a collaborator would make it a bit easier.

Joe Clark

post #556 of 2117 Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenonn View Post

As a Zune user, it is also available on the Zune Marketplace (although, I don't know if the proceeds go to charity with Zune/Microsoft).

That must have just gone up today, I have been checking for weeks on the ZMP.
post #557 of 2117 Old 12-24-2009, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

We watched the repeat episodes last night and found them to be as enjoyable as their first runs and even funnier in spots. There was a hilarious intro by "Will and Sue" in which she hurled one insult after another in classic Sue style. The promos for the upcoming DVD set were very funny as well, especially the one with Amber and Chris where she says "you would think that Fox would give us a free copy".

The more I listen to Last Christmas, the more I think that including it on the Volume 2 CD should have been essential. It is a stunning piece of work with so many great things going on vocally throughout. The producers did a great job with the multi-tracking and you can clearly hear the various voices coming in and out.
post #558 of 2117 Old 12-24-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

We watched the repeat episodes last night and found them to be as enjoyable as their first runs and even funnier in spots. There was a hilarious intro by "Will and Sue" in which she hurled one insult after another in classic Sue style.

I agree that watching those episodes last night was every bit as much fun as seeing them the first time had been. The Preggers show, in which Quinn's pregnancy becomes generally known, and The Rhodes not Taken episode, in which the wonderful Kristen Chenoweth guest starred, are two of my favorites. Chenoweth is a big time musical theater talent and her duet with the equally talented Lea Michelle was thrilling. The scene in Kurt's basement in which he tells his father that he is gay was both moving and funny, one of the dramatic high points of the entire series.
post #559 of 2117 Old 12-24-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

The promos for the upcoming DVD set were very funny as well, especially the one with Amber and Chris where she says "you would think that Fox would give us a free copy".

Having worked for FOX, I can tell you, they ain't lying. They don't give you ANYTHING. You want it? Pay for it just like everyone else.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #560 of 2117 Old 12-27-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I was just watching the clip of the "My Life Would Suck" closer and hadn't paid that much attention to this originally. Get a look at it and see how many pieces of choreography from the season you can pick out. It's plenty and it's pretty impressive.
post #561 of 2117 Old 12-29-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

There's a lot of grousing on Amazon and other sites about Fox's alleged plan to release another DVD set in 2010 that will incude the first 13 and then the subsequent 9 episodes in the one package. It was thought that, for those who buy today's dvd set, there would be a voucher made available or a coupon included for the second release at a substantial discount but it sure doesn't sound like it. In my experience most TV series DVD sets have 13 episodes at a time so I'm not sure what to think about all of this. Is this just a money grub by Fox? If so it's pretty cheesy.
post #562 of 2117 Old 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Who cares about the DVD - when is the BluRay disc coming?
post #563 of 2117 Old 12-29-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tywoniak View Post

Who cares about the DVD - when is the BluRay disc coming?

There do not appear to be any immediate plans for a Blu-ray release of Glee.
post #564 of 2117 Old 12-29-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There do not appear to be any immediate plans for a Blu-ray release of Glee.

That was my understanding, too, which means that I don't have any immediate plays to buy any Glee discs. I suspect that many, many other AVS members feel the same way.
post #565 of 2117 Old 12-29-2009, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That was my understanding, too, which means that I don't have any immediate plays to buy any Glee discs. I suspect that many, many other AVS members feel the same way.

I don't mind the SD release but I have a real problem with Fox trying to rip people off with a subsequent "full" DVD set. First indications are that there are no coupons or any mention of the second release in the DVD box today. Fox is going to let itself in for a lot of screaming unless there is some kind of a cost savings offer if and when the entire 22 episode set is released in mid-2010. They could put a coupon on the web and have it sent in with the usual recepit and/or Proof of Purchase requirements. Best advice: if you do buy the set this week, save your receipt and don't mess with the POP tags on the jacket art.
post #566 of 2117 Old 12-29-2009, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't mind the SD release but I have a real problem with Fox trying to rip people off with a subsequent "full" DVD set. First indications are that there are no coupons or any mention of the second release in the DVD box today. Fox is going to let itself in for a lot of screaming unless there is some kind of a cost savings offer if and when the entire 22 episode set is released in mid-2010. They could put a coupon on the web and have it sent in with the usual recepit and/or Proof of Purchase requirements. Best advice: if you do buy the set this week, save your receipt and don't mess with the POP tags on the jacket art.

The whole notion of releasing the discs of a wildly popular series in DVD only makes me crazy! This is not 2002 and Blu-ray has become the de facto standard. As a practical matter Fox's plan for the Glee discs, whatever it is, won't get any of my money until and unless they make it available on BD. I don't buy DVDs anymore. Period. Paragraph. End of report.
post #567 of 2117 Old 12-29-2009, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The whole notion of releasing the discs of a wildly popular series in DVD only makes me crazy! This is not 2002 and Blu-ray has become the de facto standard. As a practical matter Fox's plan for the Glee discs, whatever it is, won't get any of my money until and unless they make it available on BD. I don't buy DVDs anymore. Period. Paragraph. End of report.

ditto!
post #568 of 2117 Old 12-29-2009, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I completely understand your view on this and respect it. I bit the bullet and picked up the DVD set at Costco. The SD image is very, very good and the DD5.1 sound is more than acceptable. There are a boatload of specials that I haven't looked at but some early reviews say that many are very funny, especially Principal Figgins' introduction to the school. I just figure that the opportunity to watch any episode or musical number at my whim is worth the $25 to me. If a Blu-ray set ever comes out, well it wouldn't be the first time that I duplicated the SD version with the BD one. I'm still more concerned about Fox possibly trying to double dip ( or more accurately, double soak) with the second release next year.
post #569 of 2117 Old 12-30-2009, 12:05 PM

Liked: 11
Look it, I just started watching this show in Nov after reading about it in the HOTP thread. I have the DVR set to record new and repeat episodes. As such I was able to watch some of the first episodes as well as the new ones. I still have the episode from 12-16 that I haven't watched yet. I love this show. Period. I haven't read this whole thread but it doesn't look as though the actors are the ones singing. Are they?

On the issue of the show on DVD, I'm like most here; I'll just wait for it on Blu-Ray.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #570 of 2117 Old 12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post

Look it, I just started watching this show in Nov after reading about it in the HOTP thread. I have the DVR set to record new and repeat episodes. As such I was able to watch some of the first episodes as well as the new ones. I still have the episode from 12-16 that I haven't watched yet. I love this show. Period. I haven't read this whole thread but it doesn't look as though the actors are the ones singing. Are they?

On the issue of the show on DVD, I'm like most here; I'll just wait for it on Blu-Ray.

Although almost all of the musical numbers are prerecorded, as is standard in movies and TV, every actor on the show actually sings. There are no ringers ala Marni Nixon for Audrey Hepburn. The cast was selected primarily based upon their acting and singing abilities.
Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page