'Glee' on FOX HD - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2117 Old 04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The ratings were gigantic. About a 5.6 rating among adults 18-49 and somewhere in the 13 million viewers area. Awaiting final numbers because of the weird start time but that's a gigantic leap from the 3.7 rating and 8ish million viewers from the last original. Interesting to see how much of this new audience they retain next week, and based on last night's episode I would say a good chunk. Glee is doing sensational things in a broadcast TV world that is otherwise freefalling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2117 Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalist5.1 View Post

The ratings were gigantic. About a 5.6 rating among adults 18-49 and somewhere in the 13 million viewers area. Awaiting final numbers because of the weird start time but that's a gigantic leap from the 3.7 rating and 8ish million viewers from the last original. Interesting to see how much of this new audience they retain next week, and based on last night's episode I would say a good chunk. Glee is doing sensational things in a broadcast TV world that is otherwise freefalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

It seemed to me last night's episode was a reset of the series other than the team having won sectionals and Will being separated from his wife. I agree they need to get on with some of the subplots.

Those ratings were ridiculous indeed. I think it explains why last night felt like a reset. There are millions of people new to Glee whose first ever episode for them was last night. I doubt they all went back and watched the first part of the season (they might have, but HD enthusiasts for example who missed it I'm sure didn't go out and watch the SD-DVD (WTF is up with no blu ray???).)

That's why they had to resolve many storylines in that last December ep and do a reset now so that new people wouldn't feel lost and wouldn't feel the need to try to catch up before watching last night's ep (like someone who was behind on LOST would do). IMHO, that's why Sue Sylvester was back at the school like nothing had happened.

To have any retention of this audience to the next episode, they needed to people to NOT think they had to go back and watch previous eps. They had to make it such that someone who didn't know anything about Glee could jump right in, and I think they did a good job of that. Although, this is at the expense of the Glee fan who has seen every episode because after all the work to get rid of Sue from the school, she just popped back in like nothing. No evil plot that lasts several episodes to get her back with the Cheerios or have her take down Glee Club while not actually being employed at the school, which is what you might have expected after the last half season finale.
post #633 of 2117 Old 04-14-2010, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Those ratings were ridiculous indeed. I think it explains why last night felt like a reset. There are millions of people new to Glee. I doubt they all went back and watched the first part of the season (they might have, but HD enthusiasts for example who missed it I'm sure didn't go out and watch the SD-DVD (WTF is up with no blu ray???).)

That's why they had to resolve many storylines in that last December ep and do a reset now so that new people wouldn't feel lost and wouldn't feel the need to try to catch up before watching last night's ep (like someone who was behind on LOST would do).

To have any retention of this audience to the next episode, they needed to people to NOT think they had to go back and watch previous eps. They had to make it such that someone who didn't know anything about Glee could jump right in, and I think they did a good job of that.

They really did, didn't they? I thought the "Previously on Glee..." recap was hilarious. It may have been shorter than most of the recaps they used for the first 13, but it summed up the series really well. Then it moved on.

I don't know if I'll get tired of their warp speed plot shifts or not. I know that Chuck devoted 3 or 4 episodes to their attempts to set up and justify plot turns this season. IMO they failed pretty badly. Glee did it in 3 or 4 minutes last night and I was OK with it. I think the reason is that I see them do something like that, get a little upset about it, then they hit me with a couple of musical numbers that are so funny and so much fun that I say, "What the hell. It's Glee." That will probably get old or stale over a 3 or 4 year span, but so far I'm in that frame of mind that it doesn't bother me that much. It's hard to imagine how this show will be able to go more than 3 or 4 years and remain fresh and fun, but I hope they somehow pull it off. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy it while it works and not worry too much about the future.

Joe Clark

post #634 of 2117 Old 04-14-2010, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
For me I'm not as invested in the story (but plenty enough, not like some people who say that they only like the character drama aspects of LOST and nothing else) as much as the musical numbers/performances, but I am sympathize with those who are really into the story and get irritated when they try to make episodes stand-alone (like most comedy programs) or do resets to allow new fans in without them having to go back and watch the previous eps.
post #635 of 2117 Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

More ratings goodness, just to clarify what this means Glee BEAT American Idol in the most profitable demographic, adults aged 18-34...

American Idol (88 minutes)
- 20.639 million viewers
- 7.3/21 A18-49
- 5.6/18 A18-34
- 7.1/21 W18-34

Glee (62 minutes)
- 13.664 million viewers
- 5.6/15 A18-49
- 5.8/17 A18-34
- 7.8/20 W18-34

Both on FOX so they're happy either way; but I'd have to check to see if anything has ever beaten Idol in that demo. There's a chance that it's never. For Glee to do it is... yeah I'll shut up now.
post #636 of 2117 Old 04-15-2010, 07:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I watched the new Glee episode yesterday and, as usual, loved it. The level of musical talent on the show is awesome. Last night we had Tony Award winner, Idina Menzel, as the coach of the rival singing group. We also had Tony Award nominee, Jonathan Groff, as Rachel's new love interest. By the way, I thought that the Hello duet he had with Rachel was transcendently beautiful, one of the best things I have seen on Glee. Groff and Lea Michelle worked together on Broadway in Spring Awakening and it showed in that wonderful duet.
post #637 of 2117 Old 04-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentalist5.1 View Post

More ratings goodness, just to clarify what this means Glee BEAT American Idol in the most profitable demographic, adults aged 18-34...

American Idol (88 minutes)
- 20.639 million viewers
- 7.3/21 A18-49
- 5.6/18 A18-34
- 7.1/21 W18-34

Glee (62 minutes)
- 13.664 million viewers
- 5.6/15 A18-49
- 5.8/17 A18-34

- 7.8/20 W18-34

Both on FOX so they're happy either way; but I'd have to check to see if anything has ever beaten Idol in that demo. There's a chance that it's never. For Glee to do it is... yeah I'll shut up now.

How can you have 5.8 million viewers aged 18-34, but only 5.6 million aged 18-49?
post #638 of 2117 Old 04-15-2010, 02:15 PM

This episode was packed with music. They're probably trying to squeeze 2 or even 3 CDs worth of music into these back 9.
post #639 of 2117 Old 04-15-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

It seemed to me last night's episode was a reset of the series other than the team having won sectionals and Will being separated from his wife. I agree they need to get on with some of the subplots.

For all the concern over this episode feeling like a reset, you have to understand the last episode was written as a fall/series finale. If the series had gotten cancelled they wanted to make sure that they wrapped up as many of the stories as possible. With the show getting renewed for the back 9, they had to go in and undo some of the things they had done in order to continue to move the show forward.

8640HDC DVR - ODN 7.
post #640 of 2117 Old 04-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

How can you have 5.8 million viewers aged 18-34, but only 5.6 million aged 18-49?

Because those are ratings, i.e. percentages and not millions of viewers. 18-34 is a smaller demographic than 18-49, like you say. So it's 5.6% of all 18-49's watched it, and 5.8% of all 18-34's. Second number is 'share'... 15% of 18-49 year olds watching TV at the time were watching Glee, 17% of 18-34'ers.
post #641 of 2117 Old 04-16-2010, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The dinner at 'Breadsticks' was hysterical. Great performances, directing, and editing all around.

"Let me introduce you to how it works with us. You buy us dinner, and later you get to watch us make out. It's like the best deal ever."

"Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?"
post #642 of 2117 Old 04-20-2010, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Did I miss the episode where Quinn had her baby? Or was that just a little continuity error?

What the heck - it's Glee.

Joe Clark

post #643 of 2117 Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing I noticed is that they have really stepped up the 5.1 mixing. The musical numbers are really great in surround. I don't think they mixed for discreet 5.1 in the first half of the season but it sounds to me like we are getting true 5.1 mixes now and it makes a big difference especially in the musical numbers.
post #644 of 2117 Old 04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageone79 View Post

One thing I noticed is that they have really stepped up the 5.1 mixing.

That's the reason I started watching this show... was on a night of flipping through a bunch of dull sounding TV and I landed on Glee and my system came to life. Hooked ever since.
post #645 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 05:17 AM

Liked: 11
"When I pulled my hamstring, I went to a misogynist," -Britanny

Good to see Santana out front last night too
post #646 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

This episode was packed with music. They're probably trying to squeeze 2 or even 3 CDs worth of music into these back 9.

There's a special Madonna-filled album on iTunes.

Not that I'm denying your prediction. They've got a cash cow and will milk it. .... And I will buy it.
post #647 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 AM

Liked: 11
Other great quotes from last night:

Will to Sue: "How's that Florence Henderson hairdo working out for you? You might want to try another setting your Flowbee."

Kurt: "She's black. I'm gay. We make culture."
post #648 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Did I miss the episode where Quinn had her baby? Or was that just a little continuity error?

What the heck - it's Glee.

this is something that really bugged me with the episode. Is she still supposed to be pregnant? Or did she supposedly have her baby already? Who knows? There's been no mention of it in the storyline. If she's still supposed to be pregnant, that's pathetic that they don't even try to make her look the part.

Overall, last night's episode kind of bugged me. The Sue blackmails principal figgins is getting old and is pretty ridiculous. They let her blast Madonna music throughout the school? Also, the entire Madonna-themed episode was obnoxious. It was clearly an attempt to release a Glee-madonna cd. The number of performances during the show seemed pretty high in comparison to previous episodes also. I look forward to future episodes but this one seemed completely outside of the storyline to be a "lets promote madonna" episode instead.
post #649 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllinifan View Post

They cut out Sue's response from the promos:
"How do you two not have a show on Bravo?"
post #650 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The pregnancy storyline has received a couple of brief mentions, but that's it. I'm not sure where they are going with it.

The Madonna-themed show was a little over the top. I felt like I was watching American Idol but with dancing and acting mixed in. I definitely had the feeling they were trying to sell me something (CD).

I'm glad they showed the Sue Sylvester-Madonna video again. It gets funnier everytime I see it. It does make it confusing why they stuck it in the end of last week's show. It obviously made more sense this week.
post #651 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
the entire Madonna-themed episode was obnoxious. It was clearly an attempt to release a Glee-madonna cd. The number of performances during the show seemed pretty high in comparison to previous episodes also. I look forward to future episodes but this one seemed completely outside of the storyline to be a "lets promote madonna" episode instead.

Agreed heartily. Prominently missing when they did the "what do you think of when you think of Madonna?" was "shameless self-promoter". The whole show suggested that when they asked if they could do Madonna songs somewhere along the line it was decided "only if you showcase Madonna and kiss up to her at every possible step along the way".

I was at the point of deciding I didn't really need this show very much any more, and then they showed Lauren Potter's litttle Downs cheerio, and I remembered all the things that made this show special in the past. One thing that continues to enrage me, however, is the way they shoot most of the musical numbers. Just watch any Fred Astaire film, or old Warners or MGM musicals. The camera sits there and lets you watch what transpires. On Glee it swirls and cuts and just leaves you frustrated. This is probably due to the fact that (1) only Heather Morris' Brittany is capable of any sort of complex dancing and (2) they don't have enough time to rehearse the numbers so that everybody is together, and they have to hide it with the jump cutting.

At least they are using Morris now- if only as a prototypical dumb blonde- rather than just sticking her in the back row for every show.

CW Hinkle
post #652 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
"A little over the top?" that's being a bit generous. I really had a hard time watching the full episode, and I generally like the show (even though I don't usually like the artists whom they cover).

Come on, I doubt many of today's HS aged kids even know who Madonna is, let alone listen to her music.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #653 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

At least they are using Morris now- if only as a prototypical dumb blonde- rather than just sticking her in the back row for every show.

Agreed: not only because she's the best female dancer in the show (some of the guys are even better, but they never get lines) but also because she's being used more. Add in the wonderfully-dry delivery of her lines, and she has surprisingly become my favorite character on the show.

If the producers of Glee said that everyone on the show had to be able to sing to get cast, I wonder if we'll ever get a Brittney-led song. Santata had her chance last season: let's hear what Heather Morris can do!
post #654 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post

this is something that really bugged me with the episode. Is she still supposed to be pregnant? Or did she supposedly have her baby already? Who knows? There's been no mention of it in the storyline. If she's still supposed to be pregnant, that's pathetic that they don't even try to make her look the part.

It's odd because some of the quick promo video clips for the current nine episodes clearly showed Quinn with a pronounced baby bump. They've got to have her start showing in the next two episodes I would think.
post #655 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

She had a baby bump before the hiatus, but in the current dance numbers, it's gone. Who knows how they'll deal with it when the time comes.

I was glad to see the Tina/Artie romance get a little more time. The producers have said they're going to explore the other characters more in the coming episodes.

Joe Clark

post #656 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Last night's Madonna episode of #GLEE will be repeated this FRI @ 9/8c, for anyone who may have missed it & for everyone to enjoy it again!
post #657 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllinifan View Post

Other great quotes from last night:

That's sure what it sounded like, but I wonder if it was intended to be "couture" since they were talking about changing her fashion image, and the stereotype of gays and blacks is that they are sophisticated in all things fashion.
post #658 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoff View Post

Last night's Madonna episode of #GLEE will be repeated this FRI @ 9/8c, for anyone who may have missed it & for everyone to enjoy it again!

Once was more than enough. The show is a mess this year, so far.

The films of De Sica, of Welles, of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger made little money and endure as spiritual delights.
--David Mamet
post #659 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingRat View Post

That's sure what it sounded like, but I wonder if it was intended to be "couture" since they were talking about changing her fashion image, and the stereotype of gays and blacks is that they are sophisticated in all things fashion.

No, I think he meant culture. Blacks don't have any particular reputation for being sophisticated fashion mavens; that stereotype is reserved for gays. But blacks are credited with giving us jazz and of having a great influence on musical trends over the years. Between them, they probably have a greater influence on popular culture than their combined populations would suggest. That's why the line was funny - humor usually has some truth as its basis.
post #660 of 2117 Old 04-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageone79 View Post

One thing I noticed is that they have really stepped up the 5.1 mixing. The musical numbers are really great in surround. I don't think they mixed for discreet 5.1 in the first half of the season but it sounds to me like we are getting true 5.1 mixes now and it makes a big difference especially in the musical numbers.

Unfortunately, our local FOX station has not been broadcasting in 5.1, just Pro Logic. They have not purchased the replacement equipment to do so. I would really like to hear the numbers in 5.1.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page