post #721 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

They've also made it clear that the secondary characters will get more exposure. If the show is going to last, it's a really good idea to develop more story lines to explore. I'm looking forward to it.

To that effect, I read that Naya Rivera & Heather Morris (Santana & Brittany) are going to be promoted to series regulars next season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMA View Post

Also, Kurt being hurt for being a "guy" but always acting like more of a woman than the real women? I don't get that.

He wants whatever he does not have at a given moment; not terribly uncommon...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #723 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsArcade View Post

To that effect, I read that Naya Rivera & Heather Morris (Santana & Brittany) are going to be promoted to series regulars next season.

That's great news as they're two of the funniest characters on the show, not to mention they're both quite pleasant to look at.
post #724 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Not to mention these are supposed to be teen boys (even if they are really not). Their emotions and desires often don't make sense or swing wildly from one side to the other loving something one minute and hating it the next. For Kurt's age on the show I don't think his emotions or actions were unreasonable. They might seem silly to adults but most things teens do are silly.
post #725 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageone79 View Post

Not to mention these are supposed to be teen boys (even if they are really not). Their emotions and desires often don't make sense or swing wildly from one side to the other loving something one minute and hating it the next. For Kurt's age on the show I don't think his emotions or actions were unreasonable. They might seem silly to adults but most things teens do are silly.

Expecting rationality from ANY character on Glee is asking a lot. The producers seem to have gone out of their way to make sure that they cluster toward the unstable end of the yardstick. It makes wacky hookups that much easier to swallow.

Joe Clark

post #726 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It is very clever how the writers made the show practically a self-parody from the start (particularly with the outrageously over-produced musical numbers), but they effectively slip in some serious elements that actually cause an emotional reaction. This is an unusual show, and in a good way.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #727 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

It is very clever how the writers made the show practically a self-parody from the start (particularly with the outrageously over-produced musical numbers), but they effectively slip in some serious elements that actually cause an emotional reaction. This is an unusual show, and in a good way.

Glee's showrunners understand the power of music drama and exploit it shamelessly. There is something about music that makes it easier for folks to suspend disbelief. Whatever the reason, I agree that Glee works.
post #728 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I was going to post when the show aired but got tied up and came here to see what people said.

Frankly I am shocked that people here aren't saying that last Tuesday's ep was the worst ep of Glee so far. That's certainly what my wife and I thought:

1.) The song Kurt did was so long and boring, and then April essentially continued it on. It seemed to go on forever.

2.) Not nearly enough diversity in songs, and nothing close to current this week, besides "I am beautiful."

3.) The glee club didn't do a real number together, not counting the final song with April which isn't what I mean. "I am beautiful" doesn't really count either. To me this is a HUGE no-no for show. You'd think everyone episode should have at least one number in their club room where Rachel, Finn, the new guy, and the rest of the cast rock out would be a given. But this ep showed it's not and combined with the other points, my wife and I felt it was the most boring episode of the series and the worst music of the series as well.

I would think if someone was new to Glee and last Tuesday's ep was the only ep they ever saw, they wouldn't continue watching or want to go back and watch the rest of this series. Perhaps in Glee terms, this is a "filler" episode.

Just our humble opinion.
post #729 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

I would think if someone was new to Glee and last Tuesday's ep was the only ep they ever saw, they wouldn't continue watching or want to go back and watch the rest of this series. Perhaps in Glee terms, this is a "filler" episode.

Yes, they could just make the same episode over and over. But I'm glad they don't!

And I'm very glad they are not succumbing to the temptation of being "Now That's What I Call Music: the Series." Glee owes everything to Broadway, to musical-comedy theater, and if it gets too far from its source it will wither and die.

As I watched I was thinking that it would probably not be a popular episode simply because most of the music would be unfamiliar to much of the audience. It was also unusually serious, with relatively few laughs. But this episode was more like a stage musical and less like TV than other recent episodes have been, and those are the moments I love the best on Glee.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #730 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Yes, they could just make the same episode over and over. But I'm glad they don't!

And I'm very glad they are not succumbing to the temptation of being "Now That's What I Call Music: the Series." Glee owes everything to Broadway, to musical-comedy theater, and if it gets too far from its source it will wither and die.

As I watched I was thinking that it would probably not be a popular episode simply because most of the music would be unfamiliar to much of the audience. It was also unusually serious, with relatively few laughs. But this episode was more like a stage musical and less like TV than other recent episodes have been, and those are the moments I love the best on Glee.

Ditto.

Joe Clark

post #731 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

Ditto.

Double ditto.
post #732 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdclark

Quote:

Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

Double ditto.

Tripple ditto! Some of the recent posts to this thread have left me with the distressing thought that some of the folks who watch Glee don't like musical theater. I refuse to contemplate why that may be, for this way lies madness. I thought the two best performances in this week's Glee were both Burt Bacharach songs, A House is Not a Home and One Less Bell to Answer. Although neither, so far as I know, has ever been used in a musical theater production both are fine examples of the power of telling a story with music and that's what musical theater is all about.
post #733 of 2117 Old 04-30-2010, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I thought the two best performances in this week's Glee were both Burt Bacharach songs, A House is Not a Home and One Less Bell to Answer. Although neither, so far as I know, has ever been used in a musical theater production both are fine examples of the power of telling a story with music and that's what musical theater is all about.

A Wiki entry states: "In 2010, Kristin Chenoweth performed the song [A House is not a Home] in the Broadway revival of Promises, Promises Although the song was not part of the original show, it was added to showcase her voice and, as Bachrach and David had written all of the original score, it fit in perfectly, both dramatically and musically."

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #734 of 2117 Old 05-01-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A Wiki entry states: "In 2010, Kristin Chenoweth performed the song [A House is not a Home] in the Broadway revival of Promises, Promises Although the song was not part of the original show, it was added to showcase her voice and, as Bachrach and David had written all of the original score, it fit in perfectly, both dramatically and musically."

Thanks, that was a fun fact. I had no idea that Burt Bacharach was also a Broadway guy but I should have known. According to the IBDB, Bacharach has been involved in a bunch of Broadway shows for more than 40 years. He was nominated for a Tony for Best Musical for the original 1968 production of Promises Promises and won the Drama Desk Best Musical award for the show.
post #735 of 2117 Old 05-01-2010, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Some of the recent posts to this thread have left me with the distressing thought that some of the folks who watch Glee don't like musical theater. I refuse to contemplate why that may be, for this way lies madness.

I fall into that category. I can tolerate the heavy "musical theater" episodes, but only as long as the music features plenty of classic rock renditions, or the episode contains ample amounts of Jane Lynch.
post #736 of 2117 Old 05-01-2010, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

There's a 10 minute highlight clip of Promises, Promises on broadwayworld.com and it has a pretty good chunk of Chenoweth singing House is Not a Home. It's not too shabby. Chenoweth does look a bit off physically these days though. We watched Four Christmases last night and she looked much better and healthier. There were rumors that she had lost weight for the Promises role. My daughter may be seeing it on Tuesday night so I may have more info.
post #737 of 2117 Old 05-01-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I fall into that category. I can tolerate the heavy "musical theater" episodes, but only as long as the music features plenty of classic rock renditions, or the episode contains ample amounts of Jane Lynch.

I hope that Glee's showrunners do continue to include music that is outside of the musical theater genre to convince viewers like you, who are not big fans of musicals, to stick with it. Of course, the wonderful Jane Lynch has universal appeal, too. Anyway, the show seems to be appealing to a lot of tastes these days. I just hope that it holds up because it is my favorite show on TV by far, so I want it to enjoy a long and successful run.
post #738 of 2117 Old 05-02-2010, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't understand how some people thought this was the worst Glee episode. I actually thought it was one of the best if not THE best of the season?!? I think it maybe it just boils down that some people watch Glee for the comedy and light fluffy pop songs versus people who really enjoy the show for it's creative use of music with the comedy and pop stuff being secondary.
post #739 of 2117 Old 05-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I don't understand how some people thought this was the worst Glee episode. I actually thought it was one of the best if not THE best of the season?!? I think it maybe it just boils down that some people watch Glee for the comedy and light fluffy pop songs versus people who really enjoy the show for it's creative use of music with the comedy and pop stuff being secondary.

No. And don't presume to understand why people do or don't like it when you CLEARLY don't.

The episode in question was terrible (IMNSHO) because they turned Kurt into a creepy stalker and shoehorned the April character back into the show for seemingly no other reason that to have her sing some overly long and overly emotional ballads with Will. Her storyline wasn't organic within the world of the show and seemed forced.

The Mercedes storyline didn't work for a number of reasons. First, there was no subtlety at all (which is the norm for the show but this was the worst yet) and it was painfully obvious the was the plot was going to play out after the first scene. Second, the actress who plays Mercedes isn't strong enough to carry emotional material like that (and I'm being kind in that assessment). Third, the message they were trying to convey MAY have resonated a little more if they hadn't chosen an obese person to carry it. There is a difference between someone who isn't rail thin and has some meat on their bones saying that they are beautiful just the way they are (which is true) but when someone who is large enough where there is detrimental effect on their health and/or life expectancy says it, then it is just patently false. I mean, they were really implying someone that large *SHOULDN'T* eat right? Really?

So no, people who didn't like this episode have many more reasons than "the songs sucked" (though I didn't particularly care for the songs in that outing either) so don't try to simplify it just to make a point.
post #740 of 2117 Old 05-02-2010, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you made my point for me and it show that you don't really "get" the show as a whole becuase most of your complaints are mainstays of the show and not unique to this episode.. The show has never been about subtlety or realistic character motivation and they often throw characters in or out of the spotlight based on need for that given week's episode so really your cons for the episode should be why you dislike the show on a weekly basis not just this episode. You propably put up with those things more in other episodes becuase you like the humor more and the poppy songs they sing which weren't as prevalent in this week's episode.
post #741 of 2117 Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think you made my point for me and it show that you don't really "get" the show as a whole becuase most of your complaints are mainstays of the show and not unique to this episode.. The show has never been about subtlety or realistic character motivation and they often throw characters in or out of the spotlight based on need for that given week's episode so really your cons for the episode should be why you dislike the show on a weekly basis not just this episode. You propably put up with those things more in other episodes becuase you like the humor more and the poppy songs they sing which weren't as prevalent in this week's episode.

Indeed! Without naming names, it seems to me that some posters really need to consider finding something other than Glee to watch. Anybody who hated the latest Glee episode, Home, needs to move along to something else because they clearly (1) don't like musical storytelling and (2) don't understand what Glee is all about.

I, too, was puzzled by the opinions of some who claimed that the show was much better before its hiatus than it has been since. I think it's been very consistent throughout the season and that the last two episodes were the best of the season. I understand, though, that without differences of opinion we wouldn't have sports betting.
post #742 of 2117 Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Quote:

Indeed! Without naming names, it seems to me that some posters really need to consider finding something other than Glee to watch. Anybody who hated the latest Glee episode, Home, needs to move along to something else because they clearly (1) don't like musical storytelling and (2) don't understand what Glee is all about.

I, too, was puzzled by the opinions of some who claimed that the show was much better before its hiatus than it has been since. I think it's been very consistent throughout the season and that the last two episodes were the best of the season. I understand, though, that without differences of opinion we wouldn't have sports betting.

There aren't enough in the world to satisfactorily express my thoughts here. Who are you 2 to imply that either someone doesn't "get" the show or should consider finding something else? Have you both been named as the arbiters of what is and is not quality TV? Or are you so sensitive to criticism of the show that you need to belittle those opinions who disagree with yours? I'm as a big a fan as you will find of the show Chuck, but that doesn't mean I discount or judge those who have found fault in how this season has gone in that show's thread. The same courtesy should be applied in this (and all) threads as long as the points being made are well thought and reasoned.

To your point Savage, yes, the show has always had shoddy characterization and has never been subtle. But the actors involved are usually enough to save it or indeed, the humor has helped gloss over other shortcomings. But the shoehorned April plot was a new angle (and indicative of the show's rising popularity) and the Mercedes plot was just overwrought and melodramatic. The problem with the Kurt plot was that we'd already been down that road before, we KNOW he loves Finn and has done silly things to get his attention before. We also know that Finn has shown no inclination that he is interested in Kurt so to go back to that well AGAIN just served to undermine Kurt's character further and make him seem like a desperate, selfish creep (not the actor's fault, Chris Colfer did well with what he was given).

gwsat, it's not your place to tell people if they didn't like something to take a hike. I am far from alone in finding the episodes after the hiatus to be lacking so again, who are you to be the ultimate judge and jury?

As for what Glee is all about. Early in the season it was about a funny show with terrific musical numbers and some dramatic elements. Since then the show has trashed it's own characters and started to take itself much more seriously. To its own detriment in my opinion.
post #743 of 2117 Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

gwsat, it's not your place to tell people if they didn't like something to take a hike. I am far from alone in finding the episodes after the hiatus to be lacking so again, who are you to be the ultimate judge and jury?

I come here to have fun and certainly did not intend to give offense. That's why I didn't name names. We had a good faith difference of opinion, which I didn't take very seriously and had expected that you wouldn't either. After all, what anybody thinks of Glee and whether they should post their opinions about the show here is not terribly important in the greater scheme of things.
post #744 of 2117 Old 05-02-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Jeez.
It's just a TV show people.
How about trying to get back on topic?
post #745 of 2117 Old 05-02-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac707 View Post

The episode in question was terrible (IMNSHO) because they turned Kurt into a creepy stalker

Kurt has always been a stalker. Whether he's generally creepy or not is a matter of debate, I suppose.
post #746 of 2117 Old 05-02-2010, 01:27 PM

No need to attack other peoples' opinions - or suggest that they must not "get" the show if they don't like the same parts you do. The music selection and style of last weeks' show was clearly different than what was typical in the fall season. If that doesn't suit someone's tastes as much, so be it.

They've managed to have the perfect balance of musical mixed with great characters that can attract those of us who typically would rather put our head in a vise rather than sit through a musical.

Could it be that it's those that want musical theater with their humor and pop songs secondary that are the ones that don't "get" it? Who knows? All I know is that there is a segment of viewers that will drop off if they stray too far to one side or the other. And I'd wager that if it becomes a small screen broadway musical, they'll lose the larger segment.
post #747 of 2117 Old 05-02-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Could it be that it's those that want musical theater with their humor and pop songs secondary that are the ones that don't "get" it? Who knows? All I know is that there is a segment of viewers that will drop off if they stray too far to one side or the other. And I'd wager that if it becomes a small screen broadway musical, they'll lose the larger segment.

Yeah, I made the same point yesterday in a reply to another of your posts when I said I hoped that Glee's showrunners would continue to present a broad variety of music genres so that everybody would have something to enjoy and would stick with the show. Anyway, whatever they have done so far has worked for me so I'm obviously hoping for a long run.
post #748 of 2117 Old 05-05-2010, 04:35 AM

Wow, I can't believe no one has posted about last night's ep!
I thought the "musically promiscuous" film Rachel did was great. And the looks on those 3 leading men's faces was priceless.
I didn't see that one coming. (been a long week, I suppose)

I certainly could have done without Olivia Newton John's "Physical" redux.
Ugh. But I'll give it to the show's producers, it fit the quirkiness this show is famous for!
I just can't figure out why wheelchair kid wanted to watch it again...
post #749 of 2117 Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 AM

JMO, but this episode was the ideal episode for me.
post #750 of 2117 Old 05-05-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I thought the "Physical" video was funny, aside from seeing those guys in the tight spandex. Looks like Sue Sylvester is becoming a video star.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page