Hallelujah!

Joe Clark

post #93 of 2117 Old 09-23-2009, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Okay tonight's show was so corny...but in a good way. No full musical number this time, which was interesting. I'm curious to see how this fake pregnancy thing is going to play out. Yikes! The longer she waits, the worse it gets.

But to the more important points, Sue's Corner and the dancing football team was HILARIOUS. I fought myself trying to argue the "unrealism" of the situation, but then sat back and enjoyed it for what it was. Great comedy.
post #94 of 2117 Old 09-23-2009, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought they did some good stuff tonight too. That football dance definitely had to be an illegal shift lol But seriously that was a great way to merge the football and glee storylines all together.

I'd imagine the wife is going to try and talk the cheerleader into adopting the child away, and she'll try and fake it as their child.

Only thing I didn't like was having the girl quit glee, and doubling down on the pregnancy/non-pregnancy with the cheerleader now having someone elses kid.

Oh, I also liked that they didn't go the more traditional route with the gay storyline, instead the father was accepting.
post #95 of 2117 Old 09-23-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juncti View Post

I thought they did some good stuff tonight too. That football dance definitely had to be an illegal shift lol But seriously that was a great way to merge the football and glee storylines all together.

Funny thing, I thought the same thing watching it. Then I remembered that most states don't have an illegal shift penalty in high school. As long as everyone set before the snap its cool. I saw some weird pre snap movement in high school. Of course the most ridiculous thing was the dance before the kick. The ball would most definitely have been blocked. I'm willing to ive this show some creative license though.

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode. Much better than last weeks.
post #96 of 2117 Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 103
First 3 Cheerios, now 3 football players. How long do you think it'll take for Glee to get to 30 or 40? The season finale could be a blast.

McKinley High's principal had a small role in an episode of Chuck - Chuck vs. the Wookie - as a diamond owner helping to fund terrorists. I also remember him from an old episode of Friends, as a doctor trying to convince a needle-phobic Ross that he has to take an allergy shot. Funny, funny guy, who can do deadpan comedy extremely well.

Joe Clark

post #97 of 2117 Old 09-23-2009, 10:06 PM

Liked: 11
I was slightly disapointed in the last ep, but the most recent episode has me back on the bandwagon.
post #98 of 2117 Old 09-23-2009, 10:12 PM

Well, I'm glad they finally fixed it the end promo for iTunes. The announced said "back-slash" rather than "forward-slash" for the past two weeks and it drove me up the wall. It's the little things.

I thought this episode really picked it up where last week's was a bit of a let down although even though the professional choreographer storyline seemed like a bust, it was necessary for some character development this week.
post #99 of 2117 Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for turning me on to the show. I'm apparently the only person in the country that thinks that American Idol sucks so I never discovered Glee. It has a nice Election vibe.

PSN Gamertag: chris5977

In War: Resolution
In Defeat: Defiance
In Victory: Magnanimity
In Peace: Good Will

Winston Spencer Churchill
post #100 of 2117 Old 09-23-2009, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I go back and forth on this show. I liked the pilot, but I'm not sure I like all the off the wall infighting that has developed. I know you need some conflict, but this is just getting nasty rather than fun.
post #101 of 2117 Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Plenty of time for this show to gel. I think it's bound to stumble a little, but there's so much potential in the interactions among these characters. That's what I like about a large ensemble - it's one quirky, fun character bouncing off the next.

Joe Clark

post #102 of 2117 Old 09-24-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
I watched last night's episode with my 16 year old grandson and we both loved it. The writers used the advantage they have with a musical comedy format to make even the most outlandish plot developments acceptable because we still have the music, always the music.

Kristen Chenoweth, a longtime Broadway baby and Tony Award winner, is going to guest star on next week's show. That should be great. Chenoweth can sing some, to say the least, and is also a fine actress. She just won an Emmy for her Pushing Daisies performances. She is another actress who became an overnight success after years of obscurity.

Speaking of Chenoweth, every time I see Lea Michele, I am reminded of Chenoweth's costar in Wicked, Idina Menzel. Michele and Menzel look quite a bit alike because they are small and have full lips and big brown eyes, but I think the resemblance is owed mostly to such huge voices emanating from such little bodies.
post #103 of 2117 Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, when ANY excuse is the perfect one to burst into song and dance, you have to adjust your critical filter a little. That's just the nature of a musical, and it's what allows us to see a real car when a guy comes in driving a ridiculous painted wood "car" on the stage of a musical. Same thing with what happens in opera, or with science fiction, for that matter. When my late Godfather made comments about how ridiculous a sci fi movie's plot was, I could point to any number of different operas, whose stories were equally as unbelievable (or violent, sexy or even "depraved" ). I still have such fond memories of the little smile that used to cross his face when I'd pull out that defense of science fiction.

Joe Clark

post #104 of 2117 Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
We thought that last night's show was excellent with large quota of laughs. Jane Lynch's TV commentaries were laugh out loud funny (Caning, homeless people, hah!). The use of Beyonce's Single Ladies was just to good (whatever I think of Jackass Kanye's stunt with Taylor Swift, Beyonce's video of the song is spectacular). The scene with Kurt, Tina and the Cheerio showed the girls to have some dance chops. It was also the first time that Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina) got to show off her pipes. The girl can flat out sing. Favorite moment: Kurt and his dad and the "gay revelation" . It was well done by both actors. One thing that worries me is the running of two pregnacy with lies and deception plot threads. Finn may be the dumbest person on the face of the planet. Quinn gives him this idiotic story about how he got her pregnant without the benefit of actual contact and he doesn't run to the internet to check it? I know that Finn is not the sharpest blade in the drawer but this one starts to strain even the usual dramatic license. Does the boy live in a cave with no electricity or a PC or laptop?
post #105 of 2117 Old 09-24-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I get where you're coming from -- I hate it when TV characters are just dumb, but I have to admit, this is one urban legend that just won't die. No matter how many times they're told otherwise, I bet you that a decent percentage of teenagers still believe you can get pregnant in a hot tub (without having sex).
post #106 of 2117 Old 09-24-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I had a difficult time trying to go along with this one as well.

Another thing that has me baffled is how Will doesn't know his wife is not pregnant?

She is currently faking it by stuffing her belly to make it look like she is showing.

Doesn't Will sleep with her or see her naked?
post #107 of 2117 Old 09-24-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I get the impression that through her insane peculiarities, she does not allow him to touch her in that area. But yah, this whole plot thread is a bit of a stretch...hope it doesn't last all season. I mean, it shouldn't, considering 4 months have passed in 3 episodes.
post #108 of 2117 Old 09-24-2009, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So far anyway, it looks like Glee will have no trouble asking us to forgive such lapses in common sense. It's a hard call as to which is more unbelievable - Will's utter cluelessness or the way WMHS won the 7 to 6 football game. I won't include Finn's gullibility, because I think that is credible.

Joe Clark

post #109 of 2117 Old 09-24-2009, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I get the impression that through her insane peculiarities, she does not allow him to touch her in that area. But yah, this whole plot thread is a bit of a stretch...hope it doesn't last all season. I mean, it shouldn't, considering 4 months have passed in 3 episodes.

This pregnant thread will work more than the one with Finn/Quinn primarily because of Jessalyn Gilsig. She is expert at playing this kind of sociopath character and her facial expressions are so entertaining.
post #110 of 2117 Old 09-25-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

One thing that worries me is the running of two pregnacy with lies and deception plot threads.

My big beef with the show right now is that I hate crap like someone faking a pregnancy and continuing a deception over someone for an entire season (add to that the deception that the jock singer is actually the father of the real bun in the oven of the cheerleader). IMHO, it's a lame plot device and makes the stuff with the Gilsig character and the main character (and between the jock and his cheerleader GF) extremely annoying to watch.
post #111 of 2117 Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
So can we get a breakdown from someone in the know as to which cast members actually sing their parts for their characters? I know Lea Michele does her own stuff, but I haven't seen a breakdown as to the rest of the cast. Thanks.
post #112 of 2117 Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

My big beef with the show right now is that I hate crap like someone faking a pregnancy and continuing a deception over someone for an entire season (add to that the deception that the jock singer is actually the father of the real bun in the oven of the cheerleader). IMHO, it's a lame plot device and makes the stuff with the Gilsig character and the main character (and between the jock and his cheerleader GF) extremely annoying to watch.

I have liked these developments. They are a little weird but they are also funny and create the kind of tension that every TV series requires if it is to hold its audience's interest. The humor of these devices reminds me of The Office, where we are simultaneously laughing and squirming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

So can we get a breakdown from someone in the know as to which cast members actually sing their parts for their characters? I know Lea Michele does her own stuff, but I haven't seen a breakdown as to the rest of the cast. Thanks.

All 5 of the principals do all their own singing. There is a 12 minute piece about the casting process, which I downloaded from Amazon to my TiVo yesterday. Based on what the creators said, it appears that they didn't cast anybody who wasn't "triple threat," that is able to sing, dance, and act.
post #113 of 2117 Old 09-25-2009, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting bio for Mark Salling who plays Puck:

Mark Salling is from Dallas. A guitar player and seasoned songwriter, Salling has performed and recorded with several different artists. He also recently released his debut album, "Jericho," on which he provided all of the instrumental and vocal tracks. He continues to write and record new material for upcoming records.

I like, how as an actor, he can literally turn on dime and go from a realtively "normal" look to a very dark and foreboding one with just a quick change in his expression. His character is clearly very deeply conflicted and he is able to show that in his performance. Puck's evolution (or the opposite) may be one of the more interesting things to watch as the show goes on.
post #114 of 2117 Old 09-25-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Interesting bio for Mark Salling who plays Puck:

Mark Salling is from Dallas. A guitar player and seasoned songwriter, Salling has performed and recorded with several different artists. He also recently released his debut album, "Jericho," on which he provided all of the instrumental and vocal tracks. He continues to write and record new material for upcoming records.

I like, how as an actor, he can literally turn on dime and go from a realtively "normal" look to a very dark and foreboding one with just a quick change in his expression. His character is clearly very deeply conflicted and he is able to show that in his performance. Puck's evolution (or the opposite) may be one of the more interesting things to watch as the show goes on.

I agree completely about Salling. He's a standout performer. You don't have to look any further than his performance on stage with Accafellas, or his relationships with Finn and Quinn. Honestly, though, I think there are many such people in Glee. I'm really looking forward to learning more about every one of them. The storylines are unlimitled.

Joe Clark

post #115 of 2117 Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I have a question maybe someone knows the answer to...

I think I have seen Beyonce's video once, but I paid a great deal of attention to her appearance on SNL, rewinding it on the DVR several times. This was not to watch her so much (though don't get me wrong, she is imminently watchable) as to watch the blonde dancer who looked so much like Laura Dern. One of the dancers at the beginning dance in the basement looked a great deal like this young woman. Any chances it might have been the same dancer?

CW Hinkle
post #116 of 2117 Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Somebody should be talking about "the blond." It's classic something ... she never does anything, can't act, but as soon as there's a reason to dance, she blows off the screen. She's spectacular.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #117 of 2117 Old 09-25-2009, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I have a question maybe someone knows the answer to...

I think I have seen Beyonce's video once, but I paid a great deal of attention to her appearance on SNL, rewinding it on the DVR several times. This was not to watch her so much (though don't get me wrong, she is imminently watchable) as to watch the blonde dancer who looked so much like Laura Dern. One of the dancers at the beginning dance in the basement looked a great deal like this young woman. Any chances it might have been the same dancer?

I, too, noticed the Cheerio who was part of the trio in Kurt's basement. Dianna Agron, who plays the head cheerio, Quinn, is so charismatic, I had paid little attention to the other Cheerios when they were all performing together. But then I saw this other Cheerio in the number with Kurt and for the first time was really impressed with her talent. She is pretty, can sing some, and is a great dancer.
post #118 of 2117 Old 09-25-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I think you guys mean Brittany, who's played by Heather Elizabeth Morris.
post #119 of 2117 Old 09-25-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I can't figure out if it is because I was a drama geek, or because I was a band geek, or because I took dance choreography in high school to meet girls and watch them bounce around in leotards. But this has become hands down my favorite new show of the season. It's so funny I nearly fall off my couch laughing each episode, and the cast is brilliant on almost every level. I just hope the writers can keep up the quality.
post #120 of 2117 Old 09-25-2009, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post

I can't figure out if it is because I was a drama geek, or because I was a band geek, or because I took dance choreography in high school to meet girls and watch them bounce around in leotards. But this has become hands down my favorite new show of the season. It's so funny I nearly fall off my couch laughing each episode, and the cast is brilliant on almost every level. I just hope the writers can keep up the quality.

Yeah, I love it, too. It's just cynical enough to create a little dramatic tension but it is mostly sweet natured and funny. Add to this mix all that great music and there is a lot to like.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page