post #1981 of 2117 Old 02-03-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Roll those eyes all you want. I'm just trying to understand why so many folks seem to want to subject themselves to the same disappointment/torture each week, then take the time to relive the disappointment through multiple internet comments. Wasn't the initial "disappointment" enough?

Insanity: (noun) 1) Repeating the same behavior numerous times while hoping that maybe, just maybe the results will be different *this* time.

I mean, at some point doesn't it just get exhausting. Is there no better use of one's time?

What's wrong with just admitting to oneself that maybe, this show just isn't one's cup-o-tea. There's nothing wrong with that.

PS: It's been months since I even skimmed the "Game of Thrones" thread.

Well, in my own case, if you read back you will see that I loved the previous episode and called it a complete return to form. I didn't feel that way about this one, but that's life. I don't usually give up on a show I've watched for a long time simply because it starts throwing more clunkers than keepers. The real point (IMO) is that it shouldn't bother anyone else that I feel that way. Being told to "move on" and leave a thread is rude unless someone is being disruptive. If you are so hooked on Glee that critique of it upsets you, I suggest you simply skip those posts/people or move on yourself. We're all allowed to have our own opinions the last time I checked.

And I've been on the other side of this fence in other show threads where I love a show and see posts from those who just don't like it but watch and criticize anyway. I may disagree with them, but I don't tell them to go away. But, that's just me.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2117 Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I suspect that many of the folks who have grown exasperated with 'Glee' will find 'Smash' more to their liking. More show tunes-type music and dancing, less teen angst. Especially gay teen angst; that really seems to torque 'em off. In their defense, some of the laborious and repetitive plotlines in some recent episodes of 'Glee' would torque anyone off, even gay teens.

It's not the teen angst, or even the gay teen angst that bothers me, it's the very uneven writing. True, a whiny Kurt is as difficult to take as Sheldon on BBT, and both are OK in small doses, but for some time, up until the last few episodes all Kurt did was whine. Give the actors something to do, move the plot a bit and everyone that watches will quit complaining, for a long stretch it was like the show was just phoned in. When the show is good, it's very good, but often it's just plain boring.
post #1983 of 2117 Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

The real point (IMO) is that it shouldn't bother anyone else that I feel that way. Being told to "move on" and leave a thread is rude unless someone is being disruptive.

Yeah ... you've completely missed the point.

I'm not telling anyone to move on. I'm merely asking why they are still hanging around when they have been so clearly "disappointed" by the show for quite awhile now. There's a difference.

As a counterpoint and for the record, I don't know why I even bother to skim this thread anymore.
post #1984 of 2117 Old 02-04-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Especially if you are complaining about the last two episodes. That is likely as good as it will get going forwards do if your not happy now you probably shouldn't watch the show any more or at least not comment on it. The constant negativity on here does get to be a turn off after awhile.
post #1985 of 2117 Old 02-04-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah ... you've completely missed the point.

I'm not telling anyone to move on. I'm merely asking ...There's a difference.

Reads like much more than a question to me: "The show is what it is. Enjoy it or not. If not, then maybe it's time for ya'll to move on...or at least move on from this thread."

Quote:

As a counterpoint and for the record, I don't know why I even bother to skim this thread anymore.

Good question, especially if you don't tolerate dissent well.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #1986 of 2117 Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageone79 View Post

Especially if you are complaining about the last two episodes. That is likely as good as it will get going forwards do if your not happy now you probably shouldn't watch the show any more or at least not comment on it. The constant negativity on here does get to be a turn off after awhile.

The constant intolerance for dissenting opinions/viewpoints (i.e. be a cheerleader and love the same 2 episodes I did, or leave...) is worse IMO. As I said earlier, many pro critics have voiced similar complaints and concerns over the declining quality of Glee - write to them and tell them they are wrong and should stop writing their ongoing reviews.

Ray
post #1987 of 2117 Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hmm... No Glee love for last night's show? We loved it and thought that it had some of the funniest lines packed into one show that we've heard. Here for your enjoyment and spit takes is the list:

1. "How could I have become so out of touch?" -- Will Schuester on what happened to his teaching skills. Oh, the irony.
2. "William, could you please remove that enormous sombrero so I can break it down for you?" -- Principal Figgins telling it like it is. Even we can't look at him in that get-up.
3. "And that's how Germany won the second World War." -- McKinley's recently retired history teacher. Zoikes!
4. "To be frank, you have a public relations problem." -- Figgins on why he can't simply give Will the tenure gig.
5. "You're a Spanish teacher, maybe you should try learning Spanish." -- Figgins, likely reading the minds of each and every one of Will's students.
6. "I was hoping you could tell me what the word gordita means?" -- One of David Martinez's (Ricky Martin) night school students.
7. "I'm sorry, I'm trying to listen but you've got some beautiful teeth." -- Chili, another of Señor Martinez's students.
8. "For the last six years I was a tooth model. It's like a hand model but with your teeth." -- Martinez on his previous career. "I was the top tooth model in the country."
9. "One day I realized I was spending so much time flossing that I was missing my life. I want to make a difference that lasts longer than a grin." -- Martinez on why he gave up "modeling."
10. "I actually learned English watching Solid Gold." -- Martinez
11. "Twice a day, you boys stain your mother's drapes or befoul a gym sock that has to jump from the hamper straight into therapy, why not head on down to the clinic and put your virile teen years to good use? You'll have five bucks more than when you walked in." -- Sue Sylvester pitching Finn, Puck, Artie, Rory and Kurt for sperm donations.
12. "Looked like the cast from Ice Road Truckers." -- Sue on the selection of donors at the sperm bank.
13. "I had my eggs frozen in the late '70s. I did it myself." -- Sue on being ahead of technology.
14. "Seeing as how I find bald infants terrifying, I'm going to need a few ounces of your baby gravy to ensure Sue Sylvester Jr. is born with a full head of hair." -- Sue soliciting donations from Will.
15. "In jail. Or dead. Or both." -- Puck guesstimating on where he'll be in 2030. Don't ever change, Puckerman.
16. "Ohhh, I'm bilingual." -- A confused Brittany after Will introduces Latin Week, stipulating that the club can only perform songs English songs performed bilingually, among others.
17. " Ever." -- Artie, echoing and completing Rachel ("Cutest ") and Sugar's (" smile ") sentiments upon seeing Martin's Martinez for the first time.
18. "It means dwarf, you ass." -- Santana, breaking down the literal meaning of duende.
19. "Go run and find a swimming hole to dunk those behinds in because those donkey booties need to cool off!" -- Nene Leakes' Roz Washington after watching a scorching hot Brittney-led Cheerios routine.
20. "Hold up. Maternity leave? Are you pulling my leg? With whose vagina?!" Roz to Sue. Then, later explaining her bronze Olympic medal: "I had noodles with the president and a threesome with Michael Phelps."
21. "How's a girl with no ass supposed to chose between a juiced up wolf and a depressed vampire?" -- Mercedes relating to Twilight's Bella's conundrum.
22. "Why are you being so weird and serious, our periods don't come until the end of the month." -- Kurt to Rachel and Mercedes as they both ponder their romantic dilemmas.
23. "They're Mexican Hipster Boots, it's a fad for groups of guys who are into dance music." -- Finn on New Directions' questionable fashion choice.
24. "Have a seat, Lady Bird Hollow Pelvis." -- Sue to Emma
25. "A baby?! With whose vagina?!" -- Santana to Sue.
26. "Mr. Schue, what's with the shiny coat? I thought you were Kurt." -- Finn to Will. If only
27. "Why don't you just dress up as the Taco Bell Chihuahua and bark the theme song to Dora the Explorer." -- Santana to Will about perpetuating racial stereotypes.
28. "Like Larry Bird white." -- Chile on Martinez's teeth one last time.
29. "When I saw one written in crayon, I knew it was either you or Brittany and you're the better speller." -- Sue to Becky, who filed a complaint against her to Figgins.
30. All of Emma's pamphlets: "So You're a Two-Timin' Ho," "So You're Dating a Two-Timin' Ho," "Please Don't Hog My Fiancé's Nog," "Performance Anxiety -- It's Not Just for Teenage Boys," "How To Give Yourself Stitches," "Taint Misbehavin'," "So You Were a Jerk to Your Fiancé" and "Congratulations -- I Love You."
post #1988 of 2117 Old 02-09-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Better then normal episode except for Sue's comments to the high school people about all the sexual stuff. Thought it was rather inappropriate for this show's audience. Ricky Martin actually did good and the best part of the show was when the glee club first saw him. Kurt's reaction was awesome.

post #1989 of 2117 Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Thought it was rather inappropriate for this show's audience.

After reading some of the comments in this thread, I'd have to agree....the audience isn't mature enough.
post #1990 of 2117 Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

Better then normal episode

Frankly I was disappointed ... To use baseball metaphors, this week seemed like a weak grounder base hit as opposed to the recent string of home runs, mostly because I found the musical selections to be somewhat lackluster. The Gleeful moment was missing.
post #1991 of 2117 Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Reads like much more than a question to me: "The show is what it is. Enjoy it or not. If not, then maybe it's time for ya'll to move on...or at least move on from this thread."

For the record the inspiration for my original post of that phrase comes from an old vaudeville routine. Google "Doctor it hurts when I do this." (Doctor replies, "Don't do that.")

Quote:

Good question, especially if you don't tolerate dissent well.

Interesting that you would choose the word "tolerate" there ... LOL ... If I were truly "intolerant," I'd probably do something lame like complain to the moderators until someone got kicked off the thread/forum. But that's not how I scroll the AVS ... not once in 10 to 11 years have I done such a thing (despite, on occasion, being rather savagely attacked for expressing my opinions.)

It's not so much a matter of tolerance as it is the realization that participation in this thread is simply a complete waste of my time. I'm taking Dr. Kronkheit's advice, I would recommend that some of ya'll probably should too ... that is all. "School's out!"
post #1992 of 2117 Old 02-11-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:

Frankly I was disappointed ... To use baseball metaphors, this week seemed like a weak grounder base hit as opposed to the recent string of home runs, mostly because I found the musical selections to be somewhat lackluster. The Gleeful moment was missing.

I agree that this week's Glee while decent was not nearly as good as the previous two. First, there weren't as many musical numbers this week and, second, the music and dancing we got weren't as good as they had been in the previous two episodes. Unless things get a lot better this is my last season even if Glee is renewed.
post #1993 of 2117 Old 02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the record the inspiration for my original post of that phrase comes from an old vaudeville routine. Google "Doctor it hurts when I do this." (Doctor replies, "Don't do that.")

Suuuuure!

Quote:

Interesting that you would choose the word "tolerate" there ... LOL ... If I were truly "intolerant," I'd probably do something lame like complain to the moderators until someone got kicked off the thread/forum. But that's not how I scroll the AVS ... not once in 10 to 11 years have I done such a thing (despite, on occasion, being rather savagely attacked for expressing my opinions.)

LOL, really? What are you, 12?

Quote:

It's not so much a matter of tolerance as it is the realization that participation in this thread is simply a complete waste of my time. I'm taking Dr. Kronkheit's advice, I would recommend that some of ya'll probably should too ... that is all. "School's out!"

You're free to come and go as you please - and you should remember that non-disruptive others may do the same.

Ray
post #1994 of 2117 Old 02-11-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Not being a particular fan of Ricky Martin, I still thought he played the part well and some of the musical numbers were good (La Isla Bonita for one). Overall just average for me. The Will/Emma story was nice. I watched Smash this week and found it much better though.

Ray
post #1995 of 2117 Old 02-20-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Almost a whole week gone by and no comments on the most recent episode. Others must be getting bored with the show too.
post #1996 of 2117 Old 02-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Finally caught the last episode yesterday while enjoying a lazy Sunday.

So, they bring Rory in, give him no plot lines whatsoever, and now all of a sudden he's going back to Ireland? Thought that was pretty weak. It was like he was 100% filler this season. His rendition of "Home" was quite good, though.

Personally i'm really glad they're having Sam singing more. Even with that trouty mouth, the guy can sing great.

Other than that, i'd give it 3 stars out of 4. Fairly decent episode. Jeff Goldblum as 1 of Rachel's dads was quite a surprise!
post #1997 of 2117 Old 02-20-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

So, they bring Rory in, give him no plot lines whatsoever, and now all of a sudden he's going back to Ireland? Thought that was pretty weak. It was like he was 100% filler this season. His rendition of "Home" was quite good, though.

I almost forget he's on the show until he gets a face shot on screen.
post #1998 of 2117 Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

Almost a whole week gone by and no comments on the most recent episode. Others must be getting bored with the show too.

It wasn't and isn't worth the effort to comment on.
post #1999 of 2117 Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmatt View Post

So, they bring Rory in, give him no plot lines whatsoever, and now all of a sudden he's going back to Ireland? Thought that was pretty weak. It was like he was 100% filler this season.

I took it that he was lying about going back to Ireland in order to get Sugar to be his date. Notice how he avoided the subject toward the end.
post #2000 of 2117 Old 02-21-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pob14 View Post

I took it that he was lying about going back to Ireland in order to get Sugar to be his date. Notice how he avoided the subject toward the end.

I took it in the same way. When Sugar mentioned it at the "Shack" he did a double take like he forgot his own BS cover story. Actually, in the last two episodes, Damien seems to have grown more comfortable in the role. His "Home" was excellent and he's shown a bit of dancing and acting ability. Tonight will be his 11th show. He was orignally supposed to be in a 7 show arc but the show runners have kept him on and there's a possibliity that he will return next season. Sam's debut was very good and I could see him being a regular next year as well. I like the way they had him handle the song to Santana and Brittany. Instead of a knee jerk reaction, he actually was allowed to give the matter some serious thought. We continue to enjoy the show, in spite of its uneveness at times. The music is still excellent and the vocals are being well distributed among the entire cast. From what the teasers have shown, tonight's Winter finale is going to be pretty intense.
post #2001 of 2117 Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Yet another example of errors in "guest cast" use. Usually they totally overdo the famous guest or theme. This time, they bring in the marvelous Brian Stokes Mitchel and allow him to go totally unused in a musical way. Smash is so much better than this. Aside from the occasional good musical number (rare these days), Glee has lost its spark and its direction and its characters are getting ridiculous beyond intended parody or satire. I think I'm likely done with it. And if I do watch any of it, I won't bother reporting my disappointment further.

Ray
post #2002 of 2117 Old 02-21-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yet another example of errors in "guest cast" use. Usually they totally overdo the famous guest or theme. This time, they bring in the marvelous Brian Stokes Mitchel and allow him to go totally unused in a musical way. Smash is so much better than this. Aside from the occasional good musical number (rare these days), Glee has lost its spark and its direction and its characters are getting ridiculous beyond intended parody or satire. I think I'm likely done with it. And if I do watch any of it, I won't bother reporting my disappointment further.

I suspect that you'll hear Stokes Mitchell and Lea sing a duet at some point. One of the realities of Glee is that, because of the time constraints, musical numbers are often edited down to snippets. That was, unfortunately, the case with "You're the Top". The studio version is probably around four minutes long and is very funny. Stokes gets to really ham it up and Goldblum gets his shots in as well. It's almost refreshing when a cast member or a guest star gets to perform a song in its entirety.
post #2003 of 2117 Old 02-21-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well this weeks show certainly deserves comment. Did not expect them to go there, either at the beginning or end. The music as very good all the way around. I like this Sue and hope she sticks around.

This episode just goes to show how uneven the writing is, we go from sappy, almost slapstick to high drama from one week to the next. I think it would serve the show well to mix a bit of both in each episode instead of going from one extreme to the other.
post #2004 of 2117 Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

Well this weeks show certainly deserves comment. Did not expect them to go there, either at the beginning or end. The music as very good all the way around. I like this Sue and hope she sticks around.

This episode just goes to show how uneven the writing is, we go from sappy, almost slapstick to high drama from one week to the next. I think it would serve the show well to mix a bit of both in each episode instead of going from one extreme to the other.

When Dave Karofsky made his suicide attempt in the first 10 minutes, I thought, "uh oh" but the subsequent handling of the situation and especially the scene between Chris Kolfer and Max Adler was very well done. I agree with you about Sue. Jane Lynch is a good enough actress to let the writers peel back the layers of Sue's true character in a satisfying way. All of the Regionals performances were very good, especially the Troubletones version of the Kelly Clarkson song (although I kept seeing the commercial with Ms. Clarkson, Chris Berman, James Lipton and Andrew Zimmern). Quinn's accident is, unless I'm mistaken, the biggest cliff hanger that the show has gone to break with in its three seasons. Oh well, until april...
post #2005 of 2117 Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Have to agree about the Karofsky storyline, well done. I have to say I'm also liking the more adult Kurt, his interaction with Karofsky was well done and not the usual over the top Kurt we've had for 2+ years.

Since Karofsky didn't die, I bet Quinn does.
post #2006 of 2117 Old 02-23-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 179
While I saw the whole Quinn story line coming a mile away once she got the text, it was still kind of shocking. Also saw the attempted suicide from the first moments of the show. They really addressed a lot of the things going on in today's world. Was an OK episode, wasn't a fan of the music they played and thought if they were really in the competition those songs sucked to show off the group's talent.

post #2007 of 2117 Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Since Karofsky didn't die, I bet Quinn does.

Since much of the cast is due to leave due to graduation anyway, death would not be a bad bet.

I may have to bail on the show. Good writing is increasingly outnumbered by cliche.

CW Hinkle
post #2008 of 2117 Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

The show has never figured out the tone and that is why it loses me for the most part. The "drama" is way overdone and almost becomes noise. The high handed way it handles the "big issues" and the way you can see if for miles away makes the show hard to take seriously even when it tries to. I actually prefer the absurdity of the show when it first started rather than what exists now. I liked the comic book Sue rather than what she has become. Its kind of like the awful character arc of HotLips in MASH.

Jerry. Just remember. Its not a lie . . . if you believe it. GC
post #2009 of 2117 Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

The show has never figured out the tone and that is why it loses me for the most part. The "drama" is way overdone and almost becomes noise. The high handed way it handles the "big issues" and the way you can see if for miles away makes the show hard to take seriously even when it tries to. I actually prefer the absurdity of the show when it first started rather than what exists now. I liked the comic book Sue rather than what she has become. Its kind of like the awful character arc of HotLips in MASH.

I agree with you that Glee was at its best during Season 1 when it had a frothy, almost silly, point of view. Later when it started to get "serious," well, sort of, it lost its way. The first season was a throwback to most pre Rogers and Hammerstein Broadway musicals, in which the stories, such as they were, didn't have a serious bone in their bodies and served little purpose other than to provide mildly entertaining interludes between the singing and dancing.
post #2010 of 2117 Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
dropped glee early this season then saw a cryptic FB post about something huge happening. came here to check it out and just glad I gave up in this show when I did. the same conversation is being had... the show became too serious.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page