'Glee' on FOX HD - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2117 Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Wow!!! Glad I didn't wait to watch the video, Stryker. Emotionally riveting!!! An amazing musical number!!!

Stuff like this doesn't help me with my obsession problem.

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2117 Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
+1 on the spoiler..Glad I didn't wait.

More and more into the season, the acting/singing/dubbing musical numbers are getting better. It's exciting to watch them become a great cast!
post #183 of 2117 Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Musical Spoiler

There's another clip on YouTube with a future musical number. It's fabulous and will bring back some memories for SYTYCD fans.

post #184 of 2117 Old 10-13-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Question for the Glee audience. Is anyone buying the music on iTunes at a buck-twenty nine a pop?
post #185 of 2117 Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Question for the Glee audience. Is anyone buying the music on iTunes at a buck-twenty nine a pop?

Nope I have Zune Pass and they're free (well included in my subscription).

Hulu took down the pilot episode. Is it still available anywhere for streaming? I have someone who wants to get into the show.
post #186 of 2117 Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are a couple of freeware programs that can convert Youtube clips to MP3s. You paste in the URL for the clip, the program dowloads the data and then creats an MP3 at a bit rate of your choosing. A lot of YouTube clips are pure audio tracks (many are studio cuts) with pretty good sound quality so it's a down and dirty way to get them into MP3 format. The sound quality is good enough for Ipod or other MP3 player use.
post #187 of 2117 Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Loved last night's episode. Lots of music, lots of Sue Sylvester!
post #188 of 2117 Old 10-15-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
final number was very good. Quinn looked much better with her hair down especially since she showed emotion for the first time in the series

Go Texas Rangers!
Go Dallas Cowboys!
Go Newberry College!

Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI

XBOX360 and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud
post #189 of 2117 Old 10-15-2009, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

We LOVED last night's show. It was hilarious and Jane Lynch and Matt Morrison were just great in their scenes. Best line: "We're even arguing in our voice overs" The rendition of No Air was very good as were the two other "production" numbers. It was nice to hear the kids singing what seemed to be live on mic when they were jamming together but it does point out the pitfalls of a thinner acapella sound on any film production. Still, I wish that the sound engineers would thin the prerecorded tracks just a bit to make them seem more "real". It was very nice to see Amber Riley and Dianna Agron get their own major numbers. The phony ultrasound was a bit too far over the top for me although the actor playing the doctor was very good. We also got a real kick out of Puck telling Sue that his full name was Puckerman and then giving her the fist pump while sayng "Shalom". Too, too funny.
post #190 of 2117 Old 10-15-2009, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Glee has become the high point of my TV week. With its wild stories, talented performers, and great music, there is a lot to like.
post #191 of 2117 Old 10-15-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This show just doesn't disappoint. I'm glad to see Dianna Agron (Quinn) get to show her expressiveness more, too. To date, the Cheerios have been really sexy but they haven't been given much that would show their range as actors. Argon is not just gorgeous, she can actually act a little, too. One of the things I like about this show is that, even though it's over-the-top theatrical, I find myself caring about the characters. It would be hard to sustain an interest in the show long term without that.

I think we saw a bit more humanity from Sue this week. I suspect we'll continue to get hints that there's a human being under that psychopathic exterior, but I hope they don't mellow her too much, too fast. I guess I just enjoy watching elderly school nurses being tripped down a flight of stairs. How sick am I to have laughed so hard at that?

Joe Clark

post #192 of 2117 Old 10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Glee has become the high point of my TV week. With its wild stories, talented performers, and great music, there is a lot to like.

I couldn't agree more. I haven't been this head-over-heels in love with a show since Chuck.

Joe Clark

post #193 of 2117 Old 10-15-2009, 01:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Same here, easily my favorite new show and I watch it as soon as the DVR has 15 mins buffered.
post #194 of 2117 Old 10-15-2009, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I didn't care for the music that much this episode. "You Can't Hurry Love" is a great song, but I didn't like the offhand way our little Cheerio delivered it. Jane Lynch did rage out of control quite handily, however.

CW Hinkle
post #195 of 2117 Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

One thing I noticed this episode that I haven't in the past is the "shaky docu cam" effect. I really hate that and hope it doesn't continue.

Lea Michele performing "On My Own" at the Human Rights Campaign National Dinner:

http://www.vimeo.com/7090707
post #196 of 2117 Old 10-15-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

One thing I noticed this episode that I haven't in the past is the "shaky docu cam" effect. I really hate that and hope it doesn't continue.

Lea Michele performing "On My Own" at the Human Rights Campaign National Dinner:

http://www.vimeo.com/7090707

I know how you feel about the shaky cam effect. It was especially noticeable in last night's episode. I think they were trying to reflect the "rage" Sue and Will were feeling for one another, but it was more distracting than supportive of those emotions. I think they tried to do something similar in the Glee-off episode, where Will's wife (as the nurse) gives all the kids drugs to make them feel better. I thought that in the girls' number especially they tried to reinforce the "high" with an extremely fast paced editing style. Again, it felt disruptive to the story, not supportive. Sometimes they go overboard a bit with the visual elements. Hopefully, they'll tone that down. The show works really well without those distractions. Over the top works, just not so much with the production technology. I had a similar reaction to their overt acknowledgment of the use of the "voice over."

OTOH, these things are a gesture that they aren't afraid of much of anything on this show. That I like.

The one thing I liked most from last night's episode was Sue's journal entry. What a treat to be able to share the insights of such a gifted sociopath.

Joe Clark

post #197 of 2117 Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

It was nice to hear the kids singing what seemed to be live on mic when they were jamming together but it does point out the pitfalls of a thinner acapella sound on any film production. Still, I wish that the sound engineers would thin the prerecorded tracks just a bit to make them seem more "real".

If you haven't yet figured out why they're handling the singing/recording the way that they are, you never will. Especially after this week's final(e) song.
post #198 of 2117 Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 323
The first half hour of this week's episode was hilarious. I love the underling viciousness of this show. The self awareness of the show really helps to add a little spice to the mix.
post #199 of 2117 Old 10-16-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post

Best line: "We're even arguing in our voice overs"

Ha, that was the thing I liked the LEAST. It is the theatrical equivalent of breaking the fourth wall and it just didn't make sense in context. Too analytical, I know.

The last number was AH-MAZING! Even though I'm not a big fan of the pregnancy storyline, I like the emotions played into it. I'm ready for Flinn to find out it is not his baby.
post #200 of 2117 Old 10-16-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

One of the funniest episodes so far. It seemed to have more than the usual amount of musical numbers as well and most all of them were top notch though I too wish they would not overproduce the songs so much. I know they release them for sale but at least maybe have 2 versions.. one for the show that sounds more "real" and then one overproduced one for release.
post #201 of 2117 Old 10-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ha, that was the thing I liked the LEAST. It is the theatrical equivalent of breaking the fourth wall and it just didn't make sense in context. Too analytical, I know.

The last number was AH-MAZING! Even though I'm not a big fan of the pregnancy storyline, I like the emotions played into it. I'm ready for Flinn to find out it is not his baby.

I've seen others complain about that VO breaking the 4th wall and I really don't see the big deal. If this show were remotely realistic or a full fledged drama then I can see the problem but this is a musical comedy with dramatic elements. No big deal to me, I thought it was pretty funny.
post #202 of 2117 Old 10-16-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Was I the only one hoping/expecting for her to breakdown at the end of that number and say it's not his baby? Cut to a reaction shot from a few people and roll credits.

Seemed like a perfect time for a bombshell, her character was broken down a lot with everything happening, especially Sue just destroying her.
post #203 of 2117 Old 10-16-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

I didn't care for the music that much this episode. "You Can't Hurry Love" is a great song, but I didn't like the offhand way our little Cheerio delivered it. Jane Lynch did rage out of control quite handily, however.

This is the point I keep trying to raise (IMHO, of course, but I know I'm not isolated in this view). The show is mostly great but it skews off when the show turns into a traditional musical. It's one thing to have people perform, but when it's a "Grease" style musical (the black lady's number about breaking the windshield, and this Can't Hurry love) it is awkward and completely ruins the rhythm of the show.

Glee is good because we've got drama, comedy, and the people on it performing (as much as I got sick of that Nelly song "Must be the money" when it got overplayed on the radio, I enjoyed the glee club secretly having a jam session with it). It's at its worst when it tries to have traditional musical numbers like the ones I mentioned.
post #204 of 2117 Old 10-17-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

The show is mostly great but it skews off when the show turns into a traditional musical.

How else do you do a musical if the characters don't break into song at some really strange time? If they don't, it isn't a musical.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #205 of 2117 Old 10-17-2009, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, but that was the joke. Breaking the fourth wall can be very effective. Think back to Blazing Saddles and this hilarious sequence:

Hedley Lamarr: [to himself] A sheriff! But law and order is the last thing I want. Wait a minute... maybe I could turn this thing into my advantage. If I could find a sheriff who so offends the citizens of Rock Ridge that his very appearance would drive them out of town.

[looks into the camera]
Hedley Lamarr: But where would I find such a man?

[pause]
Hedley Lamarr: Why am I asking you?
post #206 of 2117 Old 10-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Still loving the show ever week, but I must bring up the studio track issue again.

For example, the "No Air" number is completely unbelievable because you're supposed to be under the impression they're in the music room but Rachel's voice has been mixed with echos like in the Jordin Sparks version. The same thing happened when they did "Gold Digger" a few weeks ago.
post #207 of 2117 Old 10-17-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think I'd get really tired, really fast of more "natural" mixes. What's more unrealistic, a high quality mix or the fact that kids are handed a piece of sheet music and break into fully fleshed out vocals and choreography? I don't have a problem with either.

Joe Clark

post #208 of 2117 Old 10-17-2009, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

If you haven't yet figured out why they're handling the singing/recording the way that they are, you never will. Especially after this week's final(e) song.

Yeah they have been pretty gratuitous with the auto-tune.

Jeremy Gillow
post #209 of 2117 Old 10-17-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

How else do you do a musical if the characters don't break into song at some really strange time? If they don't, it isn't a musical.

Well then if that is the definition of musical, I'd rather not have Glee be a musical because the only times I cringed and thought the show was awful was during it's two musical numbers thus far: the black lady's song about breaking the windshield and the cheerleader's "You can't hurry love." The rest IMHO is great.
post #210 of 2117 Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know, I could watch Quinn all day. Her number was fine with me.

BTW, for those who like to be spoiled here is a CD of Glee Volume 1 that comes out in Nov. It lists all the songs so far and more that are upcoming.

http://www.amazon.com/Glee-Music-1-C...5838008&sr=1-1

Not sure why last week's songs are not available for purchase yet on either Amazon or Zune Marketplace.
Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page