'Glee' on FOX HD - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 2117 Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The Beatles tribute was pretty good, enjoyed most of it. Made me want to drag out my BD of "Across the Universe"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 2117 Old 10-06-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post

So I guess I'm not the only one that decided to bail on the show?

No ... it's just that anyone who actually still watches and "likes" the show stopped posting here a loooooooooooong time ago. tongue.gif

That being said, "mistakes were made" setting up my season passes which delayed my viewing of the season premier Parts 1 and 2 for the FOX enforced penalty period of 8 days.

As for the episodes themselves, I liked them, but then again I'm a Beatles junkie from way back.

And now I retire from this thread for the rest of the season, please carry on with the regularly scheduled logs of "disappointments" each week. wink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #2103 of 2117 Old 10-10-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

On a somber note, I found myself thinking about Cory Monteith's death over and over this summer. I can't ever remember being so shocked and saddened by something like that. I didn't know this young man, but somehow his passing felt so personal.

Definitely agree on this. Felt like an old friend from HS passed away. Very odd, but he had a unique friendly charm about him. Sad to see someone so talented go so soon.
post #2104 of 2117 Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 238
I haven't watched Glee in quite sometime but we watched the tribute show to Cory Monteith just now and boy was it a tear jerker. Very well done.
post #2105 of 2117 Old 10-11-2013, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 173
That was one of the most depressing thing I have seen on TV. Such a shame he had to die from something like drugs. I feel sorry for her and all she has had to go through. You could see it on their faces throughout the show, especially hers.

post #2106 of 2117 Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I agree the show was depressing almost to the point of being a downer. I admit I don't know a better day to deal with Cory's death, but I was hoping for a bit more uplift.

On a technical note, I have always looked forward to Glee because of the great sound mix - even when the plot lines were not great, the performances were a treat. But this season it sounds as though the entire show's audio has been put through an AGC circuit. Whenever there's a pause in the dialog the background atmos roars up to near full volume and, of course, the performance mixes suffer accordingly. I cannot believe it was mixed this way, and wonder where on the road to the viewer this was allowed to happen. It's a real shame.

WNYW NYC via TW Cable.
post #2107 of 2117 Old 10-13-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not just a downer, but a cop out. They never reveal how Finn died, and the way they do it they assume you know by implying that we already know (because we know how the actor died). That's a fictional TV show no-no. You don't kill off a character without saying he died, even if we know how the actor died.

Not to mention, this was a chance to be groundbreaking and say how Finn died (and sure, make it the same way Cory Monteith died if you want or whatever) and have some people in the show offended by all the sadness because, you know, he brought it on himself (Sue comes to mind for that thought). Then have others wondering what they could done to help with Finn's drug problem (if they wanted to go the route of the drug problem), like Rachel or whoever.

That would have been interesting television, but Ryan Murphy copped out big time. Can't say I'm totally surprised, but at least I figured they would say how he (Finn) died.

There were lots of articles saying the episode was going to make Finn die the same way Cory did and deal with that on the show. But then Ryan Murphy had a cop-out change of heart.
post #2108 of 2117 Old 10-13-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I don't choose to look at this episode as a cop out. I saw it as an opportunity for people to grieve the passing of a friend, without being judgmental. To me, the approach felt right. I think it would have been horribly insensitive to assign blame to Cory Montieth or Lea Michele for what happened. Glee chose to focus on how people feel when something like this happens, not use it as an opportunity to preach or teach. No doubt that will come later, but now is not the time.

Joe Clark

post #2109 of 2117 Old 10-13-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think the episode is horribly insensitive to anyone who has lost a loved one in much more tragic, non-self inflicted ways than how Cory Monteith died, but putting that aside, imagine the viewer who watched the episode and didn't know anything about what happened to Cory. (Unlikely sure, but possible in today's age where people don't watch news on TV and are increasingly filtering our news to our own preferences). That viewer watched the first two eps, didn't see Finn, and now all of a sudden Finn doesn't die, he's already been dead for weeks.

Without an explanation as how to he died. That viewer would be like "WTF" the entire episode. Then at the end of the episode they say "Cory Monteith and his YOB and YOD." Cue the double "WTF" and now sadness and confusion. Once the stuff about addiction comes on (Which, of course, is not Glee Canon by any means), cue triple WTF. That's the biggest problem. You can't kill a character off a television show and not explain cause of death (even if they wanted to go a different route on cause of death). Even if the real actor is dead. Especially when you decide to do an entire tribute episode.

Since we have lots of TV experts here, I'm curious if there has ever been a main character killed off in an American drama/dramedy where they don't explain/give a cause of death for the character. This can't be the first time the actor who plays a main character on a show died while the show was still going on. John Ritter comes to mind, but I didn't watch 8 Simple Rules. Recently Larry Hagman died, but "Dallas" had JR die of gunshot wounds. When Phil Hartman died (murder-suicide by his wife), Newsradio came back and had a funeral where the character died of a heart attack.
post #2110 of 2117 Old 10-13-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 112
It doesn't matter if it hasn't been done before. Glee just did it, so obviously it CAN be done. For me it worked. You're entitled to your opinion.

Joe Clark

post #2111 of 2117 Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the episode was decent and found myself choked up a few times. However, I must say the scene with Coach and Puck was probably the worst bit of acting I've ever seen. It was so awfully forced I'm not not sure why the director let it go.
post #2112 of 2117 Old 10-13-2013, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Not just a downer, but a cop out. They never reveal how Finn died, and the way they do it they assume you know by implying that we already know (because we know how the actor died). That's a fictional TV show no-no. You don't kill off a character without saying he died, even if we know how the actor died.

Not to mention, this was a chance to be groundbreaking and say how Finn died (and sure, make it the same way Cory Monteith died if you want or whatever) and have some people in the show offended by all the sadness because, you know, he brought it on himself (Sue comes to mind for that thought). Then have others wondering what they could done to help with Finn's drug problem (if they wanted to go the route of the drug problem), like Rachel or whoever.

That would have been interesting television, but Ryan Murphy copped out big time. Can't say I'm totally surprised, but at least I figured they would say how he (Finn) died.

There were lots of articles saying the episode was going to make Finn die the same way Cory did and deal with that on the show. But then Ryan Murphy had a cop-out change of heart.

I TOTALLY disagree. You are blending a character with a real person. The character of Finn was never shown to be into drugs, or even experimenting while the actor we now know was. The cop out would be to use Cory's actions causing his death as how Finn died. That would simply turn into one of those preachy teachy moments, "Kids don't do drugs..."

While initially I wanted to know how Finn died now that time has past and I've digested the show I came to realize it really does not matter. The loss of a person, a young person, is the loss of a person nothing less - nothing more. Do we need to know so we can blame? "It's his fault, look what he did to himself..." or "How colud that drunk driver do that to Finn" - in the end dead is dead, no assigning blame or getting comfort in how the death occurred.
post #2113 of 2117 Old 10-14-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post

I TOTALLY disagree. You are blending a character with a real person. The character of Finn was never shown to be into drugs, or even experimenting while the actor we now know was. The cop out would be to use Cory's actions causing his death as how Finn died. That would simply turn into one of those preachy teachy moments, "Kids don't do drugs..."

While initially I wanted to know how Finn died now that time has past and I've digested the show I came to realize it really does not matter. The loss of a person, a young person, is the loss of a person nothing less - nothing more. Do we need to know so we can blame? "It's his fault, look what he did to himself..." or "How colud that drunk driver do that to Finn" - in the end dead is dead, no assigning blame or getting comfort in how the death occurred.
I agree with you Matt. The episode was not a cop out in any way. In fact, considering Ryan Murphy`s tendency to use the show to preach, I thought that it was well done and in very good taste. The musical numbers were very emotional and Lea's song was gut wrenching as were the obviously genuine reactions of the cast. How she got through it, even with a recorded track, is beyond me. The choice not to explain how Finn died was explained by Kurt and it was more than sufficient.
post #2114 of 2117 Old 03-31-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

So I guess everyone else gave up like I did eh? I did check back in for the 100th episode and thought the first hour was some of the best I've seen in a long time. Just proves the show should have ended at the end of season 3. Now they're all moving to NY..... Pretty funny how the "new" cast had about 5 lines in the entire 2 hrs.
post #2115 of 2117 Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM

Liked: 13
Yeah I gave up. I'll watch them this season when they come on Netflix.
post #2116 of 2117 Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 604
We gave up a couple of years ago. You can tell by the lack of interest in this thread most of the AVSer's who used to follow it have done the same. Yet, its overall ratings must still be strong enough to keep getting it renewed. confused.gif
post #2117 of 2117 Old 05-15-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 173
‘Glee’ finale plummets to a series low
Fox musical comedy draws a 0.6 in 18-49s, placing sixth
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - May 14, 2014

Little wonder Fox left “Glee” off the fall schedule.

The musical comedy dropped to a series low last night in its finale, giving virtually no lead-in to the new improv program “Riot,” which bombed.

“Glee” averaged a 0.6 at 8 p.m. for its fifth-season ender, according to Nielsen overnights, down 25 percent from last week.

The show finished a dismal sixth in the timeslot, well behind both the CW and Univision.

The low lead-in sunk “Riot,” which managed a mere 0.5 in the 9 p.m. hour.

Reply HDTV Programming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page