AVS Forum banner

Univision HD & TeleFutura HD

22K views 59 replies 35 participants last post by  VGPOP 
#1 ·
 http://www.univision.net/corp/en/pr/...8042009-1.html

"04-08-2009 New York, NY -- At its Los Angeles Partnership Forum last night, Univision Communications Inc. announced broadcast of all 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™ games in High Definition (HD) across Univision Network, TeleFutura, the Univision and TeleFutura Station Group and on Video On Demand (VOD).

Throughout the 2009-2010 broadcast season, Univision is rolling out HD in advance of the World Cup across networks, stations, platforms and genres, including novelas, sports, entertainment specials, VOD and 64 owned and operated stations."

#2 ·
Univision unveils unprecedented 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa coverage in HD.

World's largest sporting event also available on Video on Demand

New York, NY -- At its Los Angeles Partnership Forum, Univision Communications Inc. announced broadcast of all 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa games in High Definition (HD) across Univision Network, TeleFutura, the Univision and TeleFutura Station Group and on Video On Demand (VOD).

Univision is delivering unprecedented World Cup coverage of the 64 matches and making these available in HD across our networks and platforms, including through VOD, said Ray Rodriguez, president and chief operating officer, Univision Communications, Inc. For 31 days, Univision and TeleFutura, Univision Interactive Media and our VOD services will be transformed into the U.S. World Cup Destination,' allowing U.S. audiences to have first of its kind access to the biggest sporting event in the world.

Throughout the 2009-2010 broadcast season, Univision is rolling out HD in advance of the World Cup across networks, stations, platforms and genres, including novelas, sports, entertainment specials, VOD and 64 owned and operated stations.

An estimated 50 million viewers tuned in to the 2006 FIFA World Cup tournament on Univision's three television networks - Univision, TeleFutura and Galavisión.

With an average audience in excess of five million Persons 2+ according to Nielsen's Television Index, the tension-filled double overtime final match between Italy and France on Univision far out-delivered the final games in 2002 and 1998 by +75% and +16% respectively.

About Univision Communications:

Univision Communications Inc. is the premier Spanish-language media company in the United States. Its operations include Univision Network, the most-watched Spanish-language broadcast television network in the U.S. reaching 97% of U.S. Hispanic Households; TeleFutura Network, a general-interest Spanish-language broadcast television network, which was launched in 2002 and now reaches 85% of U.S. Hispanic Households; Galavisión, the country's leading Spanish-language cable network; Univision Television Group, which owns and operates 64 television stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico; Univision Radio, the leading Spanish-language radio group which owns and/or operates 70 radio stations in 16 of the top 25 U.S. Hispanic markets and 5 stations in Puerto Rico; and Univision Interactive Media, which includes www.univision.com , the premier Spanish-language Internet destination in the U.S., and Univision Móvil, the industry's most comprehensive Spanish-language suite of mobile offerings. Univision Communications also has a 50% interest in TuTv, a joint venture formed to broadcast Televisa's pay television channels in the U.S. Univision Communications has television network operations in Miami and television and radio stations and sales offices in major cities throughout the United States.

#3 ·
I wonder when are they gonna start broadcasting ANY HD content, they don't even have to produce it, Televisa's "Novelas" are already made in HD, they should pick it up a notch...

#4 ·
They'll probably start with their in-studio Miami stuff: "Primer Impacto," "Noticiero Univision," "Despierta America," "Sabado Gigante," etc. Mexican soccer games would be cool to have in HD although I don't think TV Azteca and Televisa (Univision takes its games from both suppliers on a week-to-week basis, same as Telemundo) broadcast any games in high-def except the marquee match-ups. The FIFA World Cup matches will be already delivered to them in high-def by the FIFA media conglomerate. Then it's all about someone at the network remembering to throw the switch during the telenovelas, assuming of course that Televisa (with whom Univision is not as chummy and cool as they once were) provides Univision with the appropriate HD masters.

#9 ·

Univision & TeleFutura now in HD

Your favorite shows in High Definition

Digital Television is now a reality, and with that, High Definition has arrived to Univison and Telefutura signals, starting monday December 7th. Learn more about this exiting new venture we have for you.

Your questions:

¿When did the digital transition take place?

June 12, 2009.

Why will I soon see changes in the way Univision and TeleFutura appear on my TV screen?

Because Univision and TeleFutura are now improving their signal even more, and will soon begin broadcasting in high definition, which is the highest quality image available. That could cause changes in the way you view our channels on your screen.

When will Univision and TeleFutura begin broadcasting in HD?

December 7, 2009, 12:01 AM (local time):

New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Atlanta

December 14, 2009, 12:01 AM (local time):

Austin, Chicago, Dallas, Fresno, Houston, Raleigh, Sacramento, San Antonio, San Francisco, Bakersfield

December 21, 2009, 12:01 AM (local time):

Miami, Phoenix, Douglas, Flagstaff, Tucson, Salt Lake City

Will everything be in HD as of that date?

Our signal will be broadcast in HD but not all of our programming will be viewed technically in HD. The first program filmed entirely in high definition, which will be seen with the full sharpness and beauty of HD will be the Tournament of Roses Parade, airing live on January 1st. Be on the lookout because we'll be adding more and more HD programs to our lineup in the coming months. Remember that you'll only be able to enjoy the total HD experience if you have an HD TV set.

What changes will I notice?

You may begin to view our channels:

1. With black bars on the sides (“pillar box” format)

2. With horizontal black bars on top and bottom (“letterbox” format)

3. As a rectangle in the center of the screen (“postage stamp” format)

What determines what format I'll see?

It depends on what type of TV set you have, on how you receive our signal, if directly over the air with an antenna or by using a converter box, or by cable or satellite

If I don't like the format I'm viewing, can I change it?

Yes, you probably can through your TV set, your converter box or your cable box.

How do I change it through my TV set?

If you have an HD set, you can change the format by accessing the menu, or in some cases, with the remote control. Many widescreen digital TV sets, even if they're not HD, also include that option. Check to see if yours has the feature. It can appear as "Mode," "Aspect Ratio" or "Format."

What happens if my set is older, not a widescreen and not digital?

Older TV sets with square screens don't offer that option.

In that case, how can I change the viewing format?

If you have a set that is not digital and you're using the converter box you bought for the digital transition, you can probably change the viewing format through the actual box. In many models this is done through the box's remote control. When you hit the button for that feature, the image changes to the different formats and you can choose the one you like best.

I subscribe to cable/satellite. Can I change the viewing format if I don't like the one I'm getting?

Cable and satellite providers broadcast in a format that is predetermined by them. If your TV set has the option to change the viewing format, you can do so that way. If not, some cable boxes have a setting for that. Check yours. You can also call the cable/satellite company if you have any questions.

How will I know when a program is airing in HD?

If you have an HD set, you'll notice right away because the image quality will be spectacular. But there will also be a symbol on the screen indicating that the show is being broadcast in HD, and we will announce it as well.

Where can I find out more about all of this?

You'll find lots of information at Univision.com, uniclave HD.

http://www.univision.com/content/con...ml?cid=2194649

#11 ·
I don't speak Spanish and therefore don't watch Univision or Telefutura, but I am curious. The above said Bakersfield on 12-14. Currently in Bakersfield Univision is on LP analog channel 39 and Telefutura is on LP analog 31. Univision owns English language MYTV affiliate full power KUVI RF and virtual channel 45. SD only. It has Univision on a subchannel that maps to 39-1 and Telefutura on another subchannel that maps to 31-1. Are they going to flash cut LP 31 and 39 to digital in a little over a week? Aren't LP stations required to give 30 days notice before terminating their analog signal. I haven't noticed any ads in the local newspaper about it. I flipped through all channels last week while setting up my new Samsung HDTV and I didn't see any crawls or anything to the effect of "terminacion de la senal analogico" (I know some words of Spanish, but certainly not enough to watch Spanish language tv). I would like to see the elimination of this last stubbornly clinging vestage of analog broadcasting.

It would be very nice if Spanish language stations would make use of tv's multilanguage capability and broadcast an English audio dub on SAP.

#16 ·
No one has yet mentioned the most obvious benefit of HD for Univision...

#17 ·
As they mentioned they still don't have any "Univision-produced" HD programs, the very first one will be the Roses Parade, but the Novelas are all produced in HD by Televisa, when will those be in HD?

I don't see my city in there so It's hopeless here.. maybe next year..

#23 ·
I think maybe only the primetime shows will be in HD as most of the networks... syndicated programs will depend on the local carrier.

Are the "Novelas" being shown in HD yet?

#24 ·
Chicago went 1080i on both Telefutura and Univision early this morning. Only showing upconverted material for now, of course.

Since these are kind of like sister networks, maybe we should change the topic title to reflect that both are going HD simultaneously, by the same company?

#25 ·
I am in Las Vegas until Thursday morning, but someone on the Bakersfield local thread said that LP 31 and 39 are still analog. I knew the mention of Bakersfield going HD last Monday had to be a mistake. There have been no crawls or ads about ending the analog LP signals. Like almost all low power stations, Univision is dragging their feet about switching to digital. They probably think that there are lots of analog tv sets without converter boxes that still rely on the analog signal. they will probably stay analog until the FCC mandates the end of analog LP broadcasting one fo these years. Also, trying to cram 2 HD subchannels on KUVI RF45 woudl be really stupid (Telefutura and Univision are currently simulcast in SD digital on subchannels of KUVI).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.